Ugly Rhetoric for Fat Acceptance

[quote]debraD wrote:

I body-checked a guy last week and it was pretty amusing. He was a bit surprised how much he moved :smiley:

It never occurred to me that it had to do with being female. I might have to take to checking more often :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Hey Im a big guy and one of the only times Ive been knocked out is when a girly friend of mine sucker punched me.

Canadians are fat as hell. Not rivaling the fatness you’d see at a “Shorney’s” buffet in South Carolina, mind you, but plenty fat.

Australia, too. What the hell?! I remember the first time I had a stop-over in Sydney…I figured I’d see a bunch of tanned blond babes with surfboards. NO SUCH LUCK. Pendulous, pendulous rolls to the left and right of me! Jean buttons defying all laws of physics and material engineering, somehow managing to hold back the tsunamis of belly lard pressing against them.

Saw one guy being driven on an airport golf-cart, probably 400 pounds, eating those Aussie “Tim-tims” out of the box. A revolting spectacle that made me puke in my mouth more than a bit

I don’t think much of her article but for those indicating they will always have a knee jerk loathing of any fat person they see, I have a question. How many of you can tell just by looking if someone has a thyroid problem or fibromyalgia or has had to take steroids that cause weight gain, because of surgery or other ailments?

Is it too much to wait until someone shows they have a crap diet and don’t work out when they are able before judging so harshly?

If it’s bad for someone not to get educated on proper diet and exercise, it’s no better for others to refuse to be educated on what really can cause great difficulties for some people when it comes to body composition.

Look, akidoka, I don’t want to be a total dick, but how many people in any prison camp photos you’ve ever seen were obese? No matter how fucked up your metabolism is from whatever cause, there is always a basic maintenance level to be found, or at least approached. No one has any excuse to be 400 pounds. Nobody.

[quote]aikidoka wrote:
I don’t think much of her article but for those indicating they will always have a knee jerk loathing of any fat person they see, I have a question. How many of you can tell just by looking if someone has a thyroid problem or fibromyalgia or has had to take steroids that cause weight gain, because of surgery or other ailments?

Is it too much to wait until someone shows they have a crap diet and don’t work out when they are able before judging so harshly?

If it’s bad for someone not to get educated on proper diet and exercise, it’s no better for others to refuse to be educated on what really can cause great difficulties for some people when it comes to body composition.[/quote]

I understand your point, and I myself try not to judge people so quickly. The problem with this particular situation however, is that it is really unlikely that X person actually has a thyroid problem or any other medical condition which caused the obesity/excess weight considering that SO MANY people in this country are overweight.

My point is that it’s far more likely that person falls into the “crap diet/don’t exercise enough” category.

Does anyone else find the articles addicting? It’s like watching a train wreck.

She’s gotta be a fatty.

Anecdote: Even my girlfriend, who is by no means the fitness snob that I am, got disgusted a few days back when she saw a family of heifers chowing down at cheap Chinese in a mall food court.

It just screams no self control, no disciple, and no self worth.

This is just another example of how today’s society praises mediocrity… Being as good as you want to be with a sprinkling of laziness has now been deemed acceptible…

I weep for humanity… :S

[quote]aikidoka wrote:

If it’s bad for someone not to get educated on proper diet and exercise, it’s no better for others to refuse to be educated on what really can cause great difficulties for some people when it comes to body composition.[/quote]

I would agree with this… but glandular problems are the exception… not the norm… General obesity today has little to do with this unfortunately… and I don’t think it’s a matter of education either… it’s pretty common sense… I can’t grow to save a shit… I can’t… I realize this… so what do I have to do? I have to eat a LOT more… I’m the opposite of fatties… I might have gotten the shitass end of the genes train… but that doesn’t mean I can’t be ‘normal’ looking, and healthy… I just gotta work at it harder… and so should they…

A lot of this is pure laziness, and a lack of willingness to change…

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
She’s gotta be a fatty.

Anecdote: Even my girlfriend, who is by no means the fitness snob that I am, got disgusted a few days back when she saw a family of heifers chowing down at cheap Chinese in a mall food court.

It just screams no self control, no disciple, and no self worth. [/quote]

Not everyone has followers. All joking aside, it always pisses me off to see people eating crap food. Those same people probably tell everyone that they’ve “tried everything” to lose weight, but just can’t do it.

You know, we’re probably just adding traffic to that person’s site increasing the potential ad revenue. Why not just stay away…

[quote]VibeAlive wrote:
This is just another example of how today’s society praises mediocrity… Being as good as you want to be with a sprinkling of laziness has now been deemed acceptible…

[/quote]

I truly believe that this is the underlying reality of why more and more people are becoming obese. If it isn’t quick and easy, it isn’t worth doing. There is no respect for hard work and effort anymore. Look at the tremendous increase in gastric by-pass and lapband surgery centers springing up everywhere.

Anyone know if bad eating habits/obesity CAUSE thyroid problems or other diseases that would make you obese? Or perhaps add to the risk of said diseases?

[quote]GVkid wrote:
Anyone know if bad eating habits/obesity CAUSE thyroid problems or other diseases that would make you obese? Or perhaps add to the risk of said diseases?[/quote]

It works both ways obesity can cause thyroid issues and thyroid isuues can contribute to obesity.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
VibeAlive wrote:

I truly believe that this is the underlying reality of why more and more people are becoming obese. If it isn’t quick and easy, it isn’t worth doing. There is no respect for hard work and effort anymore. Look at the tremendous increase in gastric by-pass and lapband surgery centers springing up everywhere.
[/quote]

A woman at work had the gastric by-pass surgery and she gained it all back and more. She just looks miserable. I don’t hate on someone for being fat, but I sure do shake my head. It looks miserable. Her knees bow in to support her weight.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
VibeAlive wrote:

A woman at work had the gastric by-pass surgery and she gained it all back and more. She just looks miserable. I don’t hate on someone for being fat, but I sure do shake my head. It looks miserable. Her knees bow in to support her weight.
[/quote]

I’m not a hater, but I do feel sorry for them. The woman you work with went for the quick fix without putting in the long term effort to change her lifestyle. Those who are willing to work hard and get healthy are in the small minority. Most people refuse to take responsibility for themselves in whatever they do. It’s always someone’s else’s fault. This type of thinking stems from a victim mentality, which is rampant in society today.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
VibeAlive wrote:

I’m not a hater, but I do feel sorry for them. The woman you work with went for the quick fix without putting in the long term effort to change her lifestyle. Those who are willing to work hard and get healthy are in the small minority. Most people refuse to take responsibility for themselves in whatever they do. It’s always someone’s else’s fault. This type of thinking stems from a victim mentality, which is rampant in society today.

[/quote]

A woman I work with had the by-pass surgery years ago. She says that the counseling aspect of the progam is as important (probably more so) than the surgery. The surgery can change the body but it can’t change the head.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
VibeAlive wrote:

[/quote]

You are right, there is a victim mentality and a “you owe me” mentality going on a lot. Folks think the government or work owes them and they think if things are hard they are victims. As victims they deserve help and special treatment. It is annoying.

I hope she flips the mental switch.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Canadians are fat as hell. Not rivaling the fatness you’d see at a “Shorney’s” buffet in South Carolina, mind you, but plenty fat.

Australia, too. What the hell?! I remember the first time I had a stop-over in Sydney…I figured I’d see a bunch of tanned blond babes with surfboards. NO SUCH LUCK. Pendulous, pendulous rolls to the left and right of me! Jean buttons defying all laws of physics and material engineering, somehow managing to hold back the tsunamis of belly lard pressing against them.

Saw one guy being driven on an airport golf-cart, probably 400 pounds, eating those Aussie “Tim-tims” out of the box. A revolting spectacle that made me puke in my mouth more than a bit [/quote]

Sadly this is true, we are now the fattest nation on earth (percentage wise).
The more wealthy parts of sydney and the other cities are not too bad however, the beaches are still filled with plenty of babes make no mistake. The airport is out west, where the average population is far fatter than the people living in the east and north.

[quote]Rio Iriri, on July 1st, 2007 at 7:38 am Said:
To the nurse: The reason all your critically ill patients are fat is because the thin ones with the same health problems died already.
Your patients have survived as long as they have because of the protective nature of their fat!
It?s like the research showing that helmet laws lead to an increase in head injuries: The injured folks are those who would have died in the past because they weren?t wearing helmets.
Nice try, though!

[/quote]
wow, just wow