Ugly Rhetoric for Fat Acceptance

T-Nation,
A long time college associate and casual friend posted this article on her facebook page, bragging about how she was sending it to as many of her overweight friends as possible. This is blue whale manifesto material, and the shocking thing is the pseudo science these porkers are now drumming up to support their argument that being fat and/or obese can actually be BETTER for you.

I’m posting it so we know what to sharpen our swords against (read the details of the studies she cites-- they’re a real laugh when they are correctly cited at all) and also for therapeutic reasons. This woman went to Cornell University with me and is in graduate school at Boston. In short, she seemed like a very intelligent girl; IS very intelligent in certain ways. And yet she is swallowing this crap whole as if it’s gospel. When I posted a blistering critique of this article, my post and myself were instantly deleted. I was denounced as a “fat-hating bigot.” End of friendship.

It can make a man feel crazy when something which seems so obviously ridiculous to him is touted as the total opposite by people he once admired and respected. I think I know your answers in a place like this, but all the same, feel free to fire away.

http://kateharding.net/but-dont-you-realize-fat-is-unhealthy/

I dont except fat people.

And I never will.

Let them say whatever they like to feel better, the medical and health community is not easily swayed by poorly written propaganda that argues with no proof or logic.

Yes, this does irritate… stupid self-serving pseudoscience bullshit.

Haha, I posted a comment expressing my feelings, and the status is ‘awaiting moderation’. Gee, I wonder if it will be accepted? LOL…

I use to (and still do sometimes) feel like a horrible person because there are times when I see a tubbo walking along the sidewalk - actually waddling would be more accurate - and I just get this complete and total feeling of loathing against someone that could let themselves get so obese that even walking normally is an impossibility. It never ceases to amaze me as to how hard fat people work to justify their laziness…

As a subculture obsessed with health and physical perfection.

Loathing for someone who is completely incapable of even basic maintenance of their own body, is perfectly normal.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me as to how hard fat people work to justify their laziness…[/quote]

No kidding; imagine if she put that effort into workout and diet. Her blog and managing the comments must take her a couple of hours a week. Or is she worried about exercising and losing some of those ‘health benefits’ of being a fat person?

[quote]GVkid wrote:
I use to (and still do sometimes) feel like a horrible person because there are times when I see a tubbo walking along the sidewalk - actually waddling would be more accurate - and I just get this complete and total feeling of loathing against someone that could let themselves get so obese that even walking normally is an impossibility. It never ceases to amaze me as to how hard fat people work to justify their laziness…[/quote]

You know, honestly I loathe it, and I think it’s because I was kind of fat in high school, and because half of my family is obese and has diabetes. Maybe it represents weakness to me, weakness that I’m afraid of.

Honestly, I don’t think I have it in me to loathe anyone for being obese. There is just so much misinformation about nutrition it’s just ridiculous. Hell, I had a woman at work recommend probiotic bullshit yogurt, for my running, she said for fuck’s sakes.

But even aside from the people who mindlessly absorb what danon and special fucking k tell them, there are loads of people are are genuinely trying to do the right thing for their health by walking more and eating less fat and more whole wheat bread and they are finding that it just isn’t working (because, it is just not enough!)

But still they’re told not to over exert themselves over and over again, not to let their heart rate exceed 120 or they’ll be outside some theoretical bullshit fat burning zone and supplied stupid little pink weights and told to squat with them.

Every morning on the news they have a little health segment where they have some chubby personal trainer demonstrate the exercise of the day, usually some moronic rolling around on a ball “to really work your core! teehee heehee!”

Once a week at work we have healthy day in the cafeteria which usualy means NO FUCKING MEAT. Argh!

You wouldn’t believe how much I get safetly lectures about running from co-workers who are convinced I’m DESTROYING my knees. I don’t even talk to them about squatting :stuck_out_tongue:

I know there’s nothing to stop anyone from doing their own research and finding more effective ways of doing things but when everyone and their dog around you is repeating the same bullshit over and over again it’s pretty hard to ignore I think. Plus, take your average working man or woman with x number of kids and who knows what other commitments and I don’t see that they really have the time to sort through the volumes and volumes of bullshit and misinformation, especially when 99% of it seems to be coming from reputable sources.

[quote]debraD wrote:

You wouldn’t believe how much I get safetly lectures about running from co-workers who are convinced I’m DESTROYING my knees. I don’t even talk to them about squatting :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Thats one huge advantage of being male, people dont usually talk shit to you about how you train.

I recommend you start hitting people every now and again, eventually they will learn to stuff it.

Ugh, Kate Harding issues have shown up on this site before, on a thread named Help, My Wife Listens to Kate Harding. Horrible.

I logged onto her site & made a very polite disagreement to one of her posts, which posted very briefly & was quickly deleted.

Guess I’m a “douche hound” for not buying her nonsense.

[quote]7. Human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Fat people are human beings.

1. Even fat people who are unhealthy still deserve dignity and respect. Still human beings. See how that works?[/quote]

Umm, no?

?You wanna start a revolution??
Girf=lfriend, let me tell you, between you and Joy, I am filnally coming to grips about myself. I will always be fat, I accept that now. So, will I be accepted ? Probably not, but fuck it. I don?t care. I?m past caring what others think o fme.
My time has finally come"

This is what I don’t like about people like kate hardy. She claims that your either fat or thin, and nothing can be done about it. (claiming things like fat genes etc) Now this women thinks she can never be thin, and will be fat forever. Utter bs.

[quote]debraD wrote:
Honestly, I don’t think I have it in me to loathe anyone for being obese. There is just so much misinformation about nutrition it’s just ridiculous. Hell, I had a woman at work recommend probiotic bullshit yogurt, for my running, she said for fuck’s sakes.

But even aside from the people who mindlessly absorb what danon and special fucking k tell them, there are loads of people are are genuinely trying to do the right thing for their health by walking more and eating less fat and more whole wheat bread and they are finding that it just isn’t working (because, it is just not enough!)

But still they’re told not to over exert themselves over and over again, not to let their heart rate exceed 120 or they’ll be outside some theoretical bullshit fat burning zone and supplied stupid little pink weights and told to squat with them.

Every morning on the news they have a little health segment where they have some chubby personal trainer demonstrate the exercise of the day, usually some moronic rolling around on a ball “to really work your core! teehee heehee!”

Once a week at work we have healthy day in the cafeteria which usualy means NO FUCKING MEAT. Argh!

I know there’s nothing to stop anyone from doing their own research and finding more effective ways of doing things but when everyone and their dog around you is repeating the same bullshit over and over again it’s pretty hard to ignore I think. Plus, take your average working man or woman with x number of kids and who knows what other commitments and I don’t see that they really have the time to sort through the volumes and volumes of bullshit and misinformation, especially when 99% of it seems to be coming from reputable sources. [/quote]

I can’t agree more with this.
Every time I see a commercial for some stupid new fat loss secret or “revolutionary ab blaster…”
Every time I get chatised for eating a steak because “it will make me fat…”
Every time I hear a trainer at my gym brag about his 225 pound bosu ball squatting prowess…
I have to fight back the urge to grab the closest object to me and smash it repeatedly into the ground.

Just mock them.
http://lolfats.blogspot.com/

Now, I?m not saying we should all go out and get fat for our health (which we wouldn?t be able to do anyway, because no one knows how to make a naturally thin person fat any more than they know how to make a naturally fat person thin; see point 4) - lady

i read this, screamed like a girl, and couldnt finish the article…oh yeah, thats only in her FIRST point haha

That’s what screwed about bloging, if you post a comment that goes against the author’s biaised opinions, (even more if your comment is smart and the author a moron) it just gets deleted so when people check the long list of comments they only see people praising whatever bs is said making them feel like everything written is true.

God damn I had to re-read CS’s “die fatty die” after that to even again my opinion on the matter.

edit: concerning the german 10 year old on the second link provided, her mom definitely deserves to go to jail… Seriously !

Hello,

Some misinformation on this blog, often she quoted a study claiming wrong facts, however the link clickable at her blog is not the real article but another website claiming wrong facts by linking to the real study/article, which after being read, has been in fact misinterpreted and is not saying at all what the former blog is saying…

Two funny points from the articles quoted :

• fat people with stents in their diseased arteries better survive than non fat people with stents in their diseased arteries
  • among dialysis patients, obese patients are far more likely to survive than smaller patients (not from the original article that I cannot found, but from the blog linked from Kate’s blog…)

She pretends that no diet works. If you think yours has been working, wait 5 years with your weight off before coming tell that to her. If you do, then you are a nature freak, so she is still right… Can I say LMAO ?

The comments below the blog are funny, I learned that thin people have bad health and heart attacks while obese people were healthier…

I read a lot more T-Nation than I write, but I cannot not react to this BS.

Regards,
Guillaume.

EDIT : about the great article “Die Fatty Die”, here is the link :
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/die_fatty_die

The originally posted article was the worst thing I’ve ever read. Die Fatty Die was the greatest thing I’ve ever read.

I am sorry, but I just cannot accept the whole “I am who I am” excuse. I have heard enough of that. These are the same people who pound big macs, or say they dont have enough time to excersize. I used to be 240 of pure fat. King sized McDonalds meal every night, followed by a huge bowl of ice cream…and whatever else I wanted. Was I a clown in class? sure. Was I dying inside? yeah.

What did I do? I GOT UP AT 6AM every morning, dragged my ass to the gym and lost the weight. I did aqcuire an eating disorder, but instead of caving to that I FOUGHT THAT OFF TOO. now I am in pursuit of making myself who I want to be. How? Learning proper nutrition, FINDING TIME for the gym, whether its before class, after class, before practice, after practice, between classes or work. If I can find the time, ANYONE can. I dont accept people who give up, or are content. THERE IS NO PERFECTION. There is always an improvement or change someone can make.

I push people around me, and I hang out with only go-getters. Know why? Because I cannot stand people who settle for mediocrity. It may make me sound elitist, but I have been to the depths of hell and back…the only way I survived was by sheer willpower.

the problem with the “i am” arguement is that we are constantly slowly changing, or should be…if you’re still the same person in 25 years,well…you messed up…Bad

second problem is that is just one aspect of you…not who you are, and i’m sure any FFB or current overweight person or anybody would agree with that