Ufc 116

Brock Lesnar early in the second round by KO.

Akiyama drops Leben as this is his second fight in two weeks and hasn’t trained FOR Akiyama.

And Akiyama hasn’t trained FOR LEBEN who is a southpaw.

Yeah, he trained for the more dangerous Wanderlei Silva… I see your point.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
If Carwin wins it’ll be by either KO, TKO, or possibly submission[/quote]

so your bold prediction is that IF Carwin wins it’ll be by either KO, TKO or possibly submission? hahaha that was kinda funny man :slight_smile: I’m really just hoping for a good fight. As long as its a good entertaining fight they’ll have a rematch soon so I’m already looking forward to Lesnar vs Carwin 2!! :slight_smile:

.greg.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Also, while Carwin claims that he’s got enough gas to go a full 5, he’s never been tested, [/quote]

I’m basing my prediction about Brock winning if it goes into the championship rounds on that plus the fact that Brock a) trains full time and its his only job which he takes very seriously unlike others b) he has always had a good gas tank.

I think Brock Lesnar is going to eat Carwin. Then lay on top of both his and Carwin’s wives while drink a Coors Light, because Bud Light doesn’t pay him!

Don’t forget Lesnar is training with Couture to get ready for the fight, that could make a difference. Brock is now as big as he was but I would say leaner. He is also a very good wrestler, better than Carwin to me, but Carwin have better hands.

I just hope Lesnar will win! Can’t wait to see the fight.

who all saw the UFC 116 Preview show on Spike? It was awesome and got me really pumped for this fight. Its weird that they both weigh basically the same amount and have to cut weight to make 265 but Lesnar just looks so much bigger! its crazy.

I was also really impressed with the video of Carwin jumping those hurdles. I wasnt expecting that.

.greg.

[quote]BodyByGame20 wrote:
Yeah, he trained for the more dangerous Wanderlei Silva… I see your point. [/quote]
New to fighting, southpaw is a big adjustment especially on 2 weeks notice.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Yeah Peter Welch and Greg Nelson SUCK.[/quote]

Sarcasm can be tough to spot over the web, so I can’t tell if you really think they suck or if you meant this in a sarcastic tone towards my comments about Lesnar going to train with different coaches.

For the record, Greg Nelson is a very good MMA wrestling coach but not much of a striking coach IMO.

Welch is an established boxing coach, but I really don’t know of anyone of note who he’s trained. Yeah, he’s the boxing coach on TUF, and I’m not saying that the guy is incompetent. But if I were in Brock’s position (world HW champ, tons of money from my WWE days, so could afford to bring in the best) I’d bring in someone like Angelo Dundee, Floyd Mayweather Sr., Freddie Roach, or Joe Lewis. Guys who have actually coached and/or been champion boxers/strikers and have trained with the best (both coaches and fighters).

I mean, if fighting is your livelihood, and you’ve got plenty of money to afford it, why wouldn’t you want the very best instructors that you could get?

I do think that he was smart to bring in Randy for this training camp though as Randy has lots of experience, is a very crafty fighter and is always in top shape.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
If Carwin wins it’ll be by either KO, TKO, or possibly submission[/quote]

so your bold prediction is that IF Carwin wins it’ll be by either KO, TKO or possibly submission? hahaha that was kinda funny man :slight_smile: I’m really just hoping for a good fight. As long as its a good entertaining fight they’ll have a rematch soon so I’m already looking forward to Lesnar vs Carwin 2!! :slight_smile:

.greg.
[/quote]

Haha, yeah pretty much. If Brock hadn’t had those health issues I think it would be a little easier to predict (or at least there would be fewer questions left unanswered). But, we still don’t really know how/if Brock has suffered any long lasting effects from his bout with Diverticulitis. His camp says he’s back up to 100%, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he is.

It’s also tough because neither of them have ever really faced someone like themselves. This will be the first time in UFC history where two legitimate highly skilled HW’s are fighting for the belt. So we’re kind of in uncharted waters with this one.

We haven’t really seen how good Carwin’s TD defense is (he got rocked by Gonzaga immediately prior to his TD, which makes a big difference). We don’t really know if either fighter has the gas to go a full 5 rounds. We don’t really know how good Brock’s chin is as he’s never really faced a good, heavy hitting striker before (and the only arguably heavy hitter, Heath Herring, basically just got controlled on the ground the whole fight).

The winner of the fight will come down to who can better impose their game plan and force the fight where they want it. I’d say the odds are in Brock’s favor, but it’s far from a lopsided match.

^^I completely agree. Its a really difficult fight to predict thats why I’m just hoping its really good.

also, for the record, I highly doubt either of these guys have the conditioning to fight their fight without being gassed for a full 3 rounds much less 5 rounds. I doubt it…

.greg.

So the general consensus seems to be that if Lesnar hadn’t come down with diverticulitis, he would be the heavy favorite in this fight?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Yeah Peter Welch and Greg Nelson SUCK.[/quote]

Sarcasm can be tough to spot over the web, so I can’t tell if you really think they suck or if you meant this in a sarcastic tone towards my comments about Lesnar going to train with different coaches.

For the record, Greg Nelson is a very good MMA wrestling coach but not much of a striking coach IMO.

Welch is an established boxing coach, but I really don’t know of anyone of note who he’s trained. Yeah, he’s the boxing coach on TUF, and I’m not saying that the guy is incompetent. But if I were in Brock’s position (world HW champ, tons of money from my WWE days, so could afford to bring in the best) I’d bring in someone like Angelo Dundee, Floyd Mayweather Sr., Freddie Roach, or Joe Lewis. Guys who have actually coached and/or been champion boxers/strikers and have trained with the best (both coaches and fighters).

I mean, if fighting is your livelihood, and you’ve got plenty of money to afford it, why wouldn’t you want the very best instructors that you could get?

I do think that he was smart to bring in Randy for this training camp though as Randy has lots of experience, is a very crafty fighter and is always in top shape.[/quote]
He trains Kenny Florian. Oh and Lesnar trains with Paulson too and brings in bjj black belts to help. I think his camp is pretty solid. Mayweather senior and even Roach don’t know how to train for mma compared to someone like Welch.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
So the general consensus seems to be that if Lesnar hadn’t come down with diverticulitis, he would be the heavy favorite in this fight?[/quote]

Hell no… I see carwin as a favorite now and then against brock… but we’ll see come Saturday

Carwin over Cockchest by KO, I’m going to say in the 3rd because I don’t think Lesnar has either the knockout power to finish it before then or the gas to go past that.

However, as was said before, I can see this being another boring HW hugging match between two guys who are scared of fighting to win and opt to survive instead.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

Carwin - Lesnar: Carwin by KO.[/quote]

What he said

Did anyone watch the weigh-ins? Was it just me, or did George Sotiropoulos look really sluggish and lethargic just walking to the scale? I don’t know if he had a really bad cut, but he looked out of it.

[quote]gregron wrote:
who all saw the UFC 116 Preview show on Spike? It was awesome and got me really pumped for this fight. Its weird that they both weigh basically the same amount and have to cut weight to make 265 but Lesnar just looks so much bigger! its crazy.

I was also really impressed with the video of Carwin jumping those hurdles. I wasnt expecting that.

.greg.[/quote]

Saw it last night. Yeah Spike does a great job with the Countdown shows. Got me pumped as well. Brock Lesnar definitely has an ideal physique for me to achieve.

The hurdles Carwin was jumping, I attend that school that was on the hurdles (University of Northern Colorado). Had some friends seen him lifting with the football team. Apparently a pretty nice guy. Really hope he wins!

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

He trains Kenny Florian.
[/quote]

Well good for him. He didn’t make Florian into the striker that he is though, much of that credit goes to Delegrotte (sp?). Again, I’m not saying that he’s incompetent, just that I think Lesnar could do better. And I doubt that Florian is in the same financial situation as Lesnar to be able to bring in coaches to train him. He likely has to pretty much make due with who’s in his area, which Welch is.

Again, Paulson is no chump but I still think that he could do better. And “BJJ black belts” is pretty ambiguous. What level BJJ black belts are we talking? And under who? If I were Brock I’d be bringing in Rickson Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Roger Gracie, Eddie Bravo, basically one of the great or former great jiu-jitsu players still alive today.

[quote]
I think his camp is pretty solid. Mayweather senior and even Roach don’t know how to train for mma compared to someone like Welch.[/quote]

That’s like the argument that you should always and only train skill sets together or else you won’t be able to effectively blend them. It’s nonsense. Mayweather and Roach are far better boxing coaches than Welch in any context. It just so happens that none of the guys who have gone to train with them have been able to reach the pinnacle of the sport (it’s the fighters who lost the fights, not the coaches).

GSP trains his boxing under a purely boxing coach, his Muay Thai under a thai boxing coach, his wrestling with the Canadian olympic team and his Jiu jitsu under a jiu jitsu instructor. I highly doubt that the Canadian olympic team for example has a lot of concern, experience or knowledge about how to train MMA fighters as opposed to olympic wrestlers. Yet he seems to be able to use it pretty effectively in an MMA context.

Lesnar already has as much wrestling skill as he’ll ever need for MMA. Sure, he could always improve on it, but at this point it’ll be in very small increments and won’t yield much in the way of improving his overall game. What’s going to really take him to his potential (and IMO make him an incredibly dangerous fighter and quite possibly result in him ruling the HW division much the way that Fedor did before him) is to forget about training with wrestlers (Paulson, Nelson, Couture, etc…) and instead go and devote himself to learning and perfecting the other arsenals of MMA (striking and submissions).

Heck, don’t we have a thread about just this topic on this very forum? Brock (like many very promising and talented wrestlers before him, Coleman and Randleman would be the prime examples) seems to be choosing to train what he’s already good at, rather than trying to get as good as possible at the areas where he is weak.

If he wants to do that, then he’s much better off going and training with world class striking and jiu jitsu guys like Roach, Mayweather, Garcia, etc… and only doing maintenance work for his wrestling. I mean, it’s not like he’s going to go train with Roach and then go into the Octagon forgetting everything he’s already learned about takedown defense.