Trump: 2020 and Beyond

Agree.

1 Like

I drink enough scotch I should be a Scot. Also my ancestors were of the northern (Scandinavian) variety with some Scot’s blood so…

You bastard!

2 Likes

My ancestors are from Sherwood. I’m pretty sure ‘shooting the invading Scot’ was a popular form of seasonal entertainment.

1 Like

I don’t really watch American news channels.
I do watch stuff like 60 minutes, or GPS with Zakaria, which is from CNN, but today was the first time I really payed attention to CNN. I have also watched Fox News a while ago just to see what the big deal was.
I can’t say I’m surprised about the polarization of American politics, considering the reporting on those channels.

Yep, the problem in a nutshell! And a big reason dt79 bitches about the media so much even though he’s not American. He’s an astute observer.

Clicks vs facts… Facts will lose every time

1 Like

Funnily enough, the British press is rancorously partisan, but they wear their affiliation on their sleeve. I think that’s probably healthier overall than ‘objective stations’ that clearly aren’t.

I do enjoy the old joke about Fox News that Rupert Murdoch found a unique niche by catering to the other half of the country.

My namesake was from Lincolnshire, but other side is named Macoy. Can’t find that name on an Ireland name map thing l saw on pintrest, so does that leave me with Scotland? Damn. I’m tying one on tonight.

1 Like

I think bipartisan solutions will always be a problem, as I don’t think that two parties are enough to represent such a vast difference of opinions, from the far left to the far right.
From the centrists to the fringes, there will always be too many factions within each party pushing their own agenda.

But I also don’t see a parlamentary type system in America anytime soon.

It could be an anglicised Mac Aodh. You’re either of Scottish or Limerick/Antrim extraction.

It’s a cool name though. It means ‘Son of fire.’

Interesting.

Grandfather was a hot head with several notable flare ups.
Pitched a non starting boat motor into the lake (loch heh)
Set a lawn mower on fire with gasoline
‘Adjusted’ a tv by punching a hole in the top of cabinet.
Drank a 1/5 or qt of Old Charter daily until pretty much killed him in his 80s.

No role model at all, but a total spitfire.

1 Like

I would like to say this would narrow it down between Irish or Scottish, but it really doesn’t.

1 Like

Have any examples? Like, BBC, I always believe was neutral, no? Or am I wrong?

The BBC is, by charter, neutral. It’s not, but that’s neither here nor there.

But consider the newspapers:

Left:
The Guardian
The New Statesman
The daily worker
The daily mirror

Right:
The Telegraph
The Daily Mail
The Express
The spectator

The U.K. has always prided itself on oppositional politics though, we have a weekly ritual where MP’s heckle the prime minister in the form of ‘prime minister’s questions.’

1 Like

Thanks for the info, my friend, appreciate it.

1 Like

You’re very welcome.

No question in my mind. And Rupert made a brilliant business decision.

One of the great political traditions of all time

1 Like

I agree that he exploited a niche.
I will further add that the shift in Fox has been occuring for at least 2 years.

Not just sons and Ryan taking over, but bet hedging against a president that couldn’t get an improvement in favorability.

Relating to thread. I can’t prognosticate on GOP, but there is a huge block of people in the US that feel disenfranchised by the uniparty in regards to helping them navigate a hostle worldwide competition for affluence. Barney the dinosaur could be the face of this ‘movement’ for all the people care.

Love it!

I THINK we have talked before about how I am fascinated by the way debate goes in Parliament.

Only the British can say “You are one dumb-assed son-of-a-bitch who needs to sit down”! …without actually saying it! Followed by a rousing “HERE! HERE!”

I think the British are the Masters of “Gentlemanly Debate”!

1 Like

‘The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity.‘ - Disraeli

Foote—Sam. was invited to a convivial meeting at the house of the late Sir Francis Blake Delaval. Lord Sandwich was one of the guests upon the same occasion. When the Comedian entered, the Peer exclaimed, “what are you alive still?” “Yes, my Lord,” replied Foote. “Pray Sam,” retorted his Lordship, “ which do you think will happen to you first, the experience of a certain disease, or an intimate acquaintance with the gallows?” “Why,” rejoined the Comedian, **“that depends upon circumstances, and they are these, whether I prefer embracing your Lordship’s mistress, or, your principles.” -Earl Foote.

2 Likes

They can but what is frustrating is that they can’t day someone is lying when they clearly are. Think that needs to change.

The current show is Keir Starmer asking a concise question for which he already knows the answer. Then bojo dodging an answer for 3 minutes. The dodge normally includes at least one straw man and an obscure literary or historical reference. Extra points for Latin. It’s 30 minutes every Wednesday at noon, worth catching.