Trump: 2020 and Beyond

Feels like this forward-looking essay is better placed in this thread than the ‘Elections Predictions’ one:

Over the past four years, Donald Trump staged a hostile takeover of the Republican Party. Even now, Republican officials remain shockingly complicit in his refusal to accept defeat. That makes it tempting to write off the Republican Party—to believe that the health of American democracy depends on ensuring this party never again occupies the White House.

But in a two-party system, it is neither likely nor healthy for one party to be in power indefinitely. For democracy to thrive, we need a right-of-center party committed to the rules and norms of our republic. This is why Persuasion will be publishing a series of essays on the future of the Republican Party, what it could become, and what is should become. I hope you will enjoy the series and see its value, even if (like me) you are left-of-center. —Yascha Mounk

TL;DR - The three likeliest outcomes, going forward:

• the MAGA scenario, where Trumpism holds its sway

• the Republican Party professionals scenario, where GOP heavyweights finally distance themselves

• the outreach scenario, where bipartisan solutions actually re-emerge

• Over 25 PPP loans worth more than $3.65 million were given to businesses with addresses at Trump and Kushner real estate properties, paying rent to those owners. Fifteen of the properties self-reported that they only kept one job, zero jobs or did not report a number at all.
  • The loans to Trump and Kushner properties included a $2,164,543 loan to the Triomphe Restaurant Corp., at the Trump International Hotel & Tower in New York City. The company reported the money didn’t go to keeping any jobs. It later closed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/release-ppp-loan-recipients-reveal-053800911.html

But what about Obama and the Clintons? Orange man bad.

Scenario one is the one I’d say is most likely. Trumpism (ideologically empty though it is) hasn’t just captured the party, it has totally captured the base.

Scenario 2 is DOA. The zombie Reaganism of the previous decades is deader than parachute pants. I don’t mourn the loss, but the sad thing is that it was the Trumpian style of politics that finished it off. Maybe that makes the GOP turn into a blue collar populist party or they’ll remain the angry party. I am pretty certain that the NRO style of GOP is defunct going forward.

Scenario 3? Who knows. I’d say a lot of it is contingent on what happens with the senate. If the GOP are a minority in all three houses, there probably won’t be much consensus politicking.

Agree.

We are already seeing “post” Trump ( a HUGE misnomer) playing out as we speak.

I really, really don’t want to agree with you @Legalsteel, but I pretty much do. I said back in 2016 that Trump will ruin the party if he stays in, and that looks to be the more likely case.

That’s said, it’s still only a month out from the election so there is plenty of time for things to change for the better. You do see some of the professionals urging people to move on.

I think the GOP becoming a blue collar party nationalist party would be an improvement.* The problem is that Trump is the current avatar, so he sucks all the oxygen out of any attempt to actually set a coherent policy platform.

*I’ve given up any hope that any mainstream party will ever win on a debt reduction platform, otherwise I’d back that.

I’m not sure how I feel about that prospect, but certainly agree Trump will make sure he is the center of attention for any and all events, whether by hook or by crook.

So I checked out CNN during my zapping routine and they were saying Biden is being pressured to pick “a more diverse cabinet”. Unbelievable.

The orange cunt is not even out yet, and instead of worrying about picking competent people, regardless of color, race, or ethnicity, to deal with all the health, social and economical issues ahead, as well as the foreign policy, these people are treating this like a Marvel movie and would rather choose Idris Elba to play Heimdall the Norse God.

Sorry ,shouldn’t post when I’m drunk. Will edit tomorrow probably.

1 Like

Eh… We’ve all done it lol.

I think Biden’s picks so far have been mostly centered on competency and expertise. I’m glad he’s doing so, but I cannot believe that the left edge of the Dems does not understand the result of the election was a referendum on TRUMP, not an embrace of fringe ideas.

Actually scratch that. I can totally believe they don’t get it. It does seem party leaders in Congress do though, they’ve been trying to move away from the fringe.

2 Likes

It is deranging, but expected.

2 Likes

Agree with Aragorn, @deandre_va_der_saar.

It is a very diverse Cabinet so far…but very competent people at what they do.

Very “Policy” and “Wonky/Detail” oriented.

They also are not “fringe” (you didn’t say that; just merely pointing it out). Biden didn’t put Bernie or Warren or any of “The Squad” in his cabinet…

At least not yet, thank goodness.

(Thoughts on the current cabinet picks, @thunderbolt23?)

2 Likes

Which may have something to do with the fact that they can’t spare a single congressional or senate vote.

Not that I think Biden is eager to do so even if he did have a comfortable lead in either house.

1 Like

Yeah I undestand that Biden is trying to pick competent people, WHILE also making sure it’s not just a bunch of white men.

I think most sensible people do not oppose diversity. The problem I have is it seems some groups still don’t think the cabinet is diverse enough. At least that’s what I saw on CNN. That’s it. Nothing on policy or expertise or anything, they just want MORE DIVERSITY.

I find it crazy and in the end it just lights a fire in the crazies in the other side.

I agree, but he still has to pay some lip service to the loonies in the fringe, old white male bastard that he is.

1 Like

I am a stodgy British conservative who backed an Indian woman to be leader of the Tory party.

I’m perfectly happy to have a diverse cast if I think they’ll be good. I’d staff my cabinet with any manner of person…except Scots.

2 Likes

The exact problem in a nutshell. CNN commentators bug the crap out of me, I avoid it as much as possible (sadly not entirely possible)

2 Likes

Agree with everyone.

The fringe Left needs to be careful about pushing for more diversity, when this will end up being the most diverse cabinet in U.S. History.

As a history buff, I would have liked to see Biden pull a “Lincoln” and put some Conservatives in the Cabinet…but I think that “Progressives” (I hate that term) heads would have exploded.

2 Likes

Well yes “any manner of person” naturally excludes Scots.

It is, IMO, as big of a problem when someone is NOT chosen because of their color as when someone is chosen BECAUSE of their color. Two sides of the same coin.

4 Likes

I think that would have been in absolutely everyone’s best interests