Training Personal Records Part 4

[quote]Reed wrote:
600 for 1 - This is a No Knee Wrap and Lighter Bands PR

• Add Self Wrapped Loose Knee Wrap -
    635 for 1- Huge PR
    - YouTube

If you question the bands make sure you watch til the end of the 635 Video.[/quote]
What’s the point of the bands? Just do a weight you can handle.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What’s the point of the bands? Just do a weight you can handle.[/quote]
For Reed (a raw lifter) it’s primarily a form of overload training to let his body feel a weight slightly heavier than he will have to squat in the meet or also to feel a weight that he is planning to squat at the meet without burning himself out too much during training.

You’re primarily a bench only guy, and for example a popular method of overload training on that is using a slingshot. Back before they had slingshots Rick Weil (world record holder of bench press at 181 for nearly 30 years running with a 556 paused raw bench) used to just do heavy negatives for overloads on his bench training. They were an integral part of his program, and he believed they were invaluable in helping to adapt his CNS to lifting heavy weight such that when he went for a max that he could actually handle, his brain wasn’t freaking out about how heavy it felt in his hands.

It’s important to note that Reed was only using light bands, which is a great way to do it for us raw guys. If you’re going to use overload training, it’s best not to get too carried away with how supramaximal you make your weights. Just something maybe 10 or 15 percent heavier.

I’m not sure why I bothered typing out any of that… I should have just said “He trains with Sam Byrd; don’t question anything he does on squat ever.”

I’m curious Reed, what did Sam Byrd say about high bar squatting while your shoulder heals? I still remember that thread you made a while back about it.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m not sure why I bothered typing out any of that… I should have just said “He trains with Sam Byrd; don’t question anything he does on squat ever.”[/quote]

Lol this made me smile thanks for the write up.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I’m curious Reed, what did Sam Byrd say about high bar squatting while your shoulder heals? I still remember that thread you made a while back about it.[/quote]

He said that it wasn’t going to kill me as my quads probably needed to get some extra work any ways. But, to get my shit fixed and get back to my standard form asap as he believes very much in using the same form for training you compete with. In 6 months I have hardly ever seen him use a stance that is different than his comp. He may have done ot to bands, against bands, to a box, speed, or for pauses but same set exact set from foot placement to setting his shoulders every weight every rep. Same for his Dead and Bench how ever he was before his insane bicep tear playing around with conventional.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What’s the point of the bands? Just do a weight you can handle.[/quote]
For Reed (a raw lifter) it’s primarily a form of overload training to let his body feel a weight slightly heavier than he will have to squat in the meet or also to feel a weight that he is planning to squat at the meet without burning himself out too much during training.

You’re primarily a bench only guy, and for example a popular method of overload training on that is using a slingshot. Back before they had slingshots Rick Weil (world record holder of bench press at 181 for nearly 30 years running with a 556 paused raw bench) used to just do heavy negatives for overloads on his bench training. They were an integral part of his program, and he believed they were invaluable in helping to adapt his CNS to lifting heavy weight such that when he went for a max that he could actually handle, his brain wasn’t freaking out about how heavy it felt in his hands.

It’s important to note that Reed was only using light bands, which is a great way to do it for us raw guys. If you’re going to use overload training, it’s best not to get too carried away with how supramaximal you make your weights. Just something maybe 10 or 15 percent heavier.[/quote]
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I realize my original comment might have sounded sarcastic, but it wasn’t the intent. I guess it just seems that if the bands take off some of the weight, say 10%, then how does that help the body adapt to feeling heavy weight, since it is feeling the heavy weight minus 10%.

I do understand heavy negatives. I actually tried them in July and early august to try and break a plateau, doing negs up to 375 on bench, but got nothing from it, not even sore.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m not sure why I bothered typing out any of that… I should have just said “He trains with Sam Byrd; don’t question anything he does on squat ever.”[/quote]
Its still good to question to see what the answer is. If you ask 10 different squat experts how to improve the squat, you will get 9 different answers, and they will all work for someone, but maybe not for everyone. Thanks though

The way we have the bands set up is that at the top the bands dont take any weight at all so the last 3\4 of the movement is 100% you so your really building confidence with the heavier weight and really letting you overload the top like doing like rack presses except with the added benefit of full range of motion.

The bands also barely took of 60-70lbs in the bottom if that for a taller lifter so your still doing a shit load of work. But who am I to argue Sam has took my squat from 400 at 240 to what I strongly believe will be 600 at 198 in less than 8 months so it works.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I guess it just seems that if the bands take off some of the weight, say 10%, then how does that help the body adapt to feeling heavy weight, since it is feeling the heavy weight minus 10%.
[/quote]

[quote]Reed wrote:
The way we have the bands set up is that at the top the bands dont take any weight at all[/quote]
Right, so the way people set up reverse bands is such that there is virtually zero tension for the top portion of the lift. So the bands will provide you maybe 50-100 pounds of assistance out of the hole, and as you move the bar closer to their point of origin they slacken such that you are feeling the entire weight minus pretty much nothing.

Traditional band setups and chains work in just the opposite way to accomplish the same goal. The tension of the bands or links of the chain will deload at the bottom of the lift such that you are feeling only the weight on the bar, and as you progress to the top of the lift resistance and/or weight will be added to provide a much heavier load.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I guess it just seems that if the bands take off some of the weight, say 10%, then how does that help the body adapt to feeling heavy weight, since it is feeling the heavy weight minus 10%.
[/quote]

[quote]Reed wrote:
The way we have the bands set up is that at the top the bands dont take any weight at all[/quote]
Right, so the way people set up reverse bands is such that there is virtually zero tension for the top portion of the lift. So the bands will provide you maybe 50-100 pounds of assistance out of the hole, and as you move the bar closer to their point of origin they slacken such that you are feeling the entire weight minus pretty much nothing.

Traditional band setups and chains work in just the opposite way to accomplish the same goal. The tension of the bands or links of the chain will deload at the bottom of the lift such that you are feeling only the weight on the bar, and as you progress to the top of the lift resistance and/or weight will be added to provide a much heavier load.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

525 for 3 just barely missing 4 at lockout. Did way to much volume before this but a PR. Also pulled Conventional which I really suck at.

Lookin strong reed

recent deadlift and squat PR

[quote]Astar wrote:
recent deadlift and squat PR

[/quote]

Awesome pull! What’s your bodyweight? Looking pretty lean, man.

[quote]grettiron wrote:

Awesome pull! What’s your bodyweight? Looking pretty lean, man.
[/quote]

Thanks dude, I’m between 220-225 right now depending on the time of day

405 plus Doubled Over Monster Minis for 9.

500 plus Doubled Over Monster Minis for 1

Today was a insane confidence booster. My Previous Best Wrapped Squat record with 405 was 6 reps. Today I hit 9… without wraps… against Bands. Then even after being totally smoked I worked up to 20 pounds off my best ever Squat but with bands and it was fairly easy.

This is a PR on the rack pull, the first of 4 doubles at 215 kg. I hope to turn this into a 270 kg competition pull as a junior.

375lbs for 3…hope to pull 435lbs in my next meet in March

1 Like

[quote]caylanmicahsmom wrote:
375lbs for 3…hope to pull 435lbs in my next meet in March
[/quote]
That was awesome