Training for the Ultimate Heist

@T3hPwnisher: that’s a great story. Heists come in all shapes and sizes. Some of us prefer to keep to the shadows and go stealth. While others prefer to enter with a bang!

tweet

Some friends of mine were involved in the 1998 Monon Bell heist, which is the last successful heist of the storied football trophy. We had news crews all over campus, looking for the bell in frat houses, dorms and underneath a couch that was sitting on the lawn.

Of course, it turned up on the football field before the game. Things got a little chippy that day when the DePauw hooligans tore down the goalpost and everyone charged the field and got pepper-sprayed by the cops.

I think the college experience should involve more heists like this, but the administrators disagree and modern security makes it a lot tougher to pull off. Nobody’s done it since 1998.

2 Likes

@twojarslave: what a great heist!

tweet

Actually, as kids we used to break into every building and business in the area.

Being the small/skinny kid made me a good one for reaching through the package mail slots to grab the latch bar and open doors.

Then there were the first and second floor windows, the butter knife tricks, etc.

We never actually took anything. It was just fun to run around where we weren’t supposed to be. We did rearrange a bunch of furniture through out an office building one time though.

3 Likes

In my freshman year of college, I was in a suite of 3 different rooms, so me and 3 of my suite mates got plastered and decided we needed food, but being in upstate NY late night on a weekday, nothing was close for us to go to. We had previously found a way to get into the balcony of the chow hall. The doors to the stairs down were locked always, so we brought a thick length of rope (2 of the guys I was with were art majors and had all sorts of materials in their room, all the time), tied one of the guys to it, and lowered him down to the ground, where he got bread, cheese, and a full, uncut salami. We had been drinking right up until we left, so I guess the guy on the ground got steadily drunker as this went on, and he was barely able to tie the food to the rope to get it up. Anyway, we get ahold of the food, and a security guard comes walking through. The guy on the ground hides under a cafeteria table. 2 minutes of us crouching there, tearing off pieces of bread and sniggering the entire time. We hear the door close, the guard is gone, we start yell-whispering to the guy on the ground. He’s passed the fuck out. Finally we get his attention, but he’s only half conscious. Ties himself to the rope, and 3 of us essentially pull up his dead weight from the ground. Like a reverse mission impossible, in every way possible. Definitely my ultimate heist.

2 Likes

I gotta say, the original story was cool, but the story within the story was something else!

3 Likes