Things That Make You Chuckle

My understanding is that modern English was influenced by both German and French. I’m not a linguist, but I’m not sure what the distinction between a Germanic language heavily influence by a Latin language and a Latin language heavily influenced by a Germanic language. Either description would fit English.

It’s been 23 years, so some details escape me. In a nutshell, Germanic tribes invaded and conquered the British isles. Three were predominant - the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes. The country’s name and language derives from the Angles, hence Angle-land/ England, and Angle-ish/ English. Their Germanic language took on many Latin-origin words through the Norman/French invasions after the turn of the millennium. The ruling class spoke French, while the peasant people spoke English. That’s why we raise sheep (schaf in German) but eat mutton.

Catholicism was the dominant religion and Latin the perceived language of scholars. Powerful people tried to conform the Germanic English language to Latin rules, mandating changes like not splitting infinitive verbs or ending sentences with prepositions. Things like that can make Latin phrases incoherent but not so with English - linguists are quick to boldly go where grammarians fear to tread. See what I’m getting at?

While related to Latin and its offshoots, English is still more Germanic.

2 Likes

What does any of this have to do with things that make you chuckle? Am I missing something?

5 Likes

All because @Koestrizer posted a meme about German.

But in reality I would find English much more frustrating (maybe in a humorous way; I don’t know) if I were learning it as a foreign language.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I know German sounding harsh is a stereotype that will never die, but honestly, I think I sound way more pleasant when I speak a foreign language, including German (Hochdeutsch). Maybe it’s because I have to tolerate my voice in English more 24/7…

1 Like

Football, futbol, futebol, voetbal, soccer, :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

Obviously you have never heard my dad cuss in German :rofl:

2 Likes

Can’t say my mom cussing in English ever sounded pleasant, unless my ears are broken :wink:

2 Likes

I find saying scheiße much more natural than saying “shit”

1 Like

Back to humor!

FB_IMG_1622302140550

2 Likes

Saw this on one of my class discord channels:

Q: how many mathematicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: 3. 1 to write a proof, a second to check the proof, the third to call an electrician

The joke isn’t exactly funny, but I chuckled at the level of nerd :joy:

@cyclonengineer

2 Likes

male prisoners have declared a nonmale identity & formally requested transfer to women’s facilities. “They’re getting a full erection,” she said. “So you’re locked in this room, 24/7, with a man and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPnrdhrgqKb/

I think the stereotype about German sounding angry is pretty funny but I don’t think it is based on truth that much. Germans speaking foreign languages maybe … but Germans speaking German? Maybe I’m too close to see it, haha. Eastern European languages sound more aggressive to me personally.

My German teacher from middle school was from the Rhineland region and her speaking had a really soft, beautiful flow to it.

Like German with a French accent.

2 Likes

yep… but maybe that’s because I usually listen to Russian in the context of war movies…

When I hear ppl speak English with a German accent, it makes me feel like I’m (or the person they’re talking to) is being lectured for doing something wrong :laughing:

Because of the perceived European arrogance, haha?

no- the hard consonant sounds.

Same feeling when Singaporian or Malaysians speak english