The U.S. White Trash Nation

Anyone else notice that the United States, especially within the last ten years, has become - for lack of a better term - a White Trash Nation.

Dive through your suburban neighborhood. No one can park in their garage because they are usually stuffed full of shit. Trash. Broken furniture. Most folks in these neighborhoods are so lazy and/or stupid that they don’t even attempt to take care of their yards/property. Cut the grass? Once a month! Landscaping? Huh!?! Pull weeds? Yeah, right!

Drive on the highways. Here come Joe NASCAR. He’s crossing 3 lanes at once. He’s going 110. He’s not looking for you or anyone else. He owns the road. He almost forces you and your 2 year old passenger into the guardrail. He gives you the finger for being there, probably for just for being alive.

Go out in public. Anywhere. The zoo? Hear folks talking? Young. Old. No matter. Every other word is ‘fuck’. You can’t get away from it. It’s how we talk now. And we don’t whisper it or censor ourselves. We scream it. That’s freedom, right? Consideration for others? What others!?

Ever walk down the street and no one will move out of your way unless you knock them out of your way? I’ve made a resolution. Ram the bastards. I walk in a straight line. IF some asshole decided he won’t give an inch to let me pass…I ram his ass out of my way.

Average home in my neighborhood is 275K. That’s not enough to keep the shit at bay, though. I’m looking at homes around 450K to get away from them. Keep my familty away from the trash that’s invading the neighborhoods where decent non-alcoholic, non-chainsmoking people with ambitions other than being loaded on the weekends used to live.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Go out in public. Anywhere. The zoo? Hear folks talking? Young. Old. No matter. Every other word is ‘fuck’. You can’t get away from it. It’s how we talk now. And we don’t whisper it or censor ourselves. We scream it. That’s freedom, right? Consideration for others? What others!?
[/quote]
This is very bad in the workplace. I hear it all the time. What happened to the concept of manners? I still jump on people for using foul language around women. I have heard my mother cuss more times than she has heard me.

Once again, manners. I usually make a comment such as “don’t mind me, sorry to get in your way,” or “oh, pardon me, sir.” 99% of the time people will realize their fault and apologize.

Every time I hold the door open for the person behind me, I get a weird look. I have, however, noticed that most people express thanks for something so simple as giving the sign to let them go first.

Now, add in the way children are treated/spoiled and it gets MUCH worse.

Anyone else notice that the United States, especially within the last ten years, has become - for lack of a better term - a White Trash Nation.

Dive through your suburban neighborhood. No one can park in their garage because they are usually stuffed full of shit. Trash. Broken furniture. Most folks in these neighborhoods are so lazy and/or stupid that they don’t even attempt to take care of their yards/property. Cut the grass? Once a month! Landscaping? Huh!?! Pull weeds? Yeah, right!

Drive on the highways. Here come Joe NASCAR. He’s crossing 3 lanes at once. He’s going 110. He’s not looking for you or anyone else. He owns the road. He almost forces you and your 2 year old passenger into the guardrail. He gives you the finger for being there, probably for just for being alive.

Ever walk down the street and no one will move out of your way unless you knock them out of your way? I’ve made a resolution. Ram the bastards. I walk in a straight line. IF some asshole decided he won’t give an inch to let me pass…I ram his ass out of my way.

Average home in my neighborhood is 275K. That’s not enough to keep the shit at bay, though. I’m looking at homes around 450K to get away from them. Keep my familty away from the trash that’s invading the neighborhoods where decent non-alcoholic, non-chainsmoking people with ambitions other than being loaded on the weekends used to live.
[/quote]

Where do you live?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Where do you live?[/quote]

I also was going to ask that.

I’m not sure that I agree with the rest of your post. But this is true:

I wonder does anyone have a reason why this occurs?

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I’m not sure that I agree with the rest of your post. But this is true:

I wonder does anyone have a reason why this occurs?[/quote]

Because too few people are willing to tell them to stop.

Because what was “edgy” in early 80’s TV, music and theater became common place in the 90’s as popular culture tried to ‘push the boundaries’. It’s sense of place/ propriety became lost as the education level of the present youth declined. Then it became common place. Link to it the current respect or absence of punitive authority in any cultural form for minor indescretions. Then couple it with the ‘laddish’ movement (in the UK) or the redneck movement in the US, plus the general acceptance of ‘thug’ values and behavior. So we get to where we are today. Sickening, isn’t it?
PLEASE, GENTLEMEN, (YES YOU!) play your part. Firmly, with great gravitas, enforce the manners you know to be right!

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:

Where do you live?[/quote]

Ten bucks says New Jersey.

A close examination of pop culture reveals quite a bit I think. The whole white trash mentality is almost celebrated at times. Any body see “Joe Dirt”? Or Toby Kieth’s new CD title “White Trash With Money”?

Not to mention every time I see and hear “Git-R-Done”, I want to vomit up my intestines.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Where do you live?

Ten bucks says New Jersey. [/quote]

I was going to say Detroit.

I swear to god, if Michigan needed an enema, the hose gets stuck in Detroit.

Well he sure as fuck don’t live in California. :wink:

…because NOWHERE here can you find a house in a not already totally trashy neighborhood for only $275.

I don’t mind profanity - I mind blatant rudeness and the unapolagetic attitue that pervades our nation these days. It’s rediculous.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

Not to mention every time I see and hear “Git-R-Done”, I want to vomit up my intestines.[/quote]

I think it’s even funnier that they accept this guy as one of their own trailer trash kind, and yet he’s college educated from private schools in Massachusetts. The whole thing is an act to get their money.

Ahhhh the South. Gotta love’em.

[/quote]

Sounds like classic bigotry to me. Who the hell do you think YOU are??? You’re the type of snob I’m glad that overspends on his house that was built for a fifth of what he paid for just to be in "that’ neighborhood. Yuppie.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Sounds like classic bigotry to me. Who the hell do you think YOU are??? You’re the type of snob I’m glad that overspends on his house that was built for a fifth of what he paid for just to be in "that’ neighborhood. Yuppie.[/quote]

I agree. What’s truly worse, random profanity or blatant judgement of someone based on whether they have a gardener, a landscaper, and a house over 400,000 bucks? The fact that so many people agreed with him is what gets me.

I have never been that materialistic. While I do want to live comfortably, trying to buy the biggest house on the block or impress everyone with how much money I spend on lawn plants is not my ambition. If he had replaced “white trash” with “black people” (I’ll hold back my judgement as far as what was truly intended), this thread may not have even been allowed through by the MODs.

the line that made me laugh was this one:

[quote]Ever walk down the street and no one will move out of your way unless you knock them out of your way? I’ve made a resolution. Ram the bastards. I walk in a straight line. IF some asshole decided he won’t give an inch to let me pass…I ram his ass out of my way.
[/quote]

He gets pissed because no one will move out of his way? Maybe he won’t move out their way. He must not live in Texas because someone would have made it impossible for him to post on this forum had he started ramming into people while walking down the street.

People tend to choose to see what they want to. I have noticed that TV has become racier in general, but in public, I have had the exact opposite experience from the OP.

Maybe it’s just me, but aren’t people more polite? I haven’t had somebody be rude to me in a don’t know how long. Honestly. This fool sure as hell doesn’t live in the south where all us “white trash” live (and cuss).

PS Hack: please relax, you are going to rupture something. Maybe you are just an asshole? I don’t know. I hope not.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:

Sounds like classic bigotry to me. Who the hell do you think YOU are??? You’re the type of snob I’m glad that overspends on his house that was built for a fifth of what he paid for just to be in "that’ neighborhood. Yuppie.

I agree. What’s truly worse, random profanity or blatant judgement of someone based on whether they have a gardener, a landscaper, and a house over 400,000 bucks? The fact that so many people agreed with him is what gets me.

I have never been that materialistic. While I do want to live comfortably, trying to buy the biggest house on the block or impress everyone with how much money I spend on lawn plants is not my ambition. If he had replaced “white trash” with “black people” (I’ll hold back my judgement as far as what was truly intended), this thread may not have even been allowed through by the MODs.

the line that made me laugh was this one:

He gets pissed because no one will move out of his way? Maybe he won’t move out their way. He must not live in Texas because someone would have made it impossible for him to post on this forum had he started ramming into people while walking down the street.[/quote]

Absolutely right, prof. This right here is the very reason that I abhore the term redneck. This is what I think of when I hear that term.

But that’s another rant.

If you think the quality of the person depends on the FMV of his house - you are a sad, sad individual.

I don’t think the use of foul language, or rudeness is limited to just white folk in the lowest tax brackets.

You are a bigot, and I would just freakin love for you to come to Texas and try to shove me, or any member of my family “out of your way”. It may be way more of an undertaking than you are willing endure.

In Texan: " If you want to try that - you’d better bring a sack lunch".

I live in the mid-west.

As for being materialistic. Not really. To an extent. I don’t think more so than anyone else. And I am a snob if that means that I don’t want my children exposed to certain things, things that the people I have termed ‘white trash’ take for granted as part of every day life.

As for replacing the term ‘white trash’ with black to show I’m a racist, well…my wife’s not white (and thankfull not white trash) so I try not be too racist since I’m the only one in my household whose caucasian. However, the WHITE TRASH on in my “upper-middle class” neighborhood do fairly well at racism. They make no attempt to pronounce my wife’s name correctly. No matter how often I repeat it. But, that’s probably just stupidity and general ignorance. It doesn’t end there. But that’s all I’ll share.

And, yeah. I move out of people’s way. Problem is, I found myself molding my body to walls in order to so because some idiot would not take one step to allow me to continue on my path. I’ve stepped into streets to get out of the way. I’ve seen my children get rammed because people won’t inconvenience themselves by moving an inch. It’s a pervasive sense of entitlement and concern for one’s self with no concern or regard for others. I was taught to be aware of others. Respect personal space. Be courteous. But that’s not taught these days and it’s not taught among the white trash crowd.

As for being called a YUPPIE. I am supposed to be insulted? If being a yuppie means that I make enough money so that my wife does not have to work and that we can pay the bills, save a good amount, and have enough money for whatever, vacations, etc. Then, yeah. I’m a yuppie.

Does that make me a pussy? I don’t know. I’ve clean and jerked 180 kg. Is that manly enough for you? I’ve full back squatted 240 kg. and clean-grip deadlifted 270 kg., snatched 140 kg. and benched 200 kg. all with no wraps, no belt, etc.

Was I a yuppie when I was on a full football scholarship at a Big East school, too? Am I a yuppie when I compete locally in mixed martial arts, and nationally in o-lifting and powerlifting? Or is all that ‘tough guy’ shit negated by the fact that I also have a relatively high-paying job? Should I not accept that money because it’s not red-neck enough to not dig ditches?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Where do you live?

Ten bucks says New Jersey. [/quote]

South Jersey is a good bet as there are no homes to be had for less than 500K in north Jersey unless you want to live in Patterson or Hackensack.
*edit: Hack answered my question…

I live in the mid-west.

As for being materialistic. Not really. To an extent. I don’t think more so than anyone else. And I am a snob if that means that I don’t want my children exposed to certain things, things that the people I have termed ‘white trash’ take for granted as part of every day life.

As for replacing the term ‘white trash’ with black to show I’m a racist, well…my wife’s not white (and thankfull not white trash) so I try not be too racist since I’m the only one in my household whose caucasian. However, the WHITE TRASH on in my “upper-middle class” neighborhood do fairly well at racism. They make no attempt to pronounce my wife’s name correctly. No matter how often I repeat it. But, that’s probably just stupidity and general ignorance. It doesn’t end there. But that’s all I’ll share.

And, yeah. I move out of people’s way. Problem is, I found myself molding my body to walls in order to so because some idiot would not take one step to allow me to continue on my path. I’ve stepped into streets to get out of the way. I’ve seen my children get rammed because people won’t inconvenience themselves by moving an inch. It’s a pervasive sense of entitlement and concern for one’s self with no concern or regard for others. I was taught to be aware of others. Respect personal space. Be courteous. But that’s not taught these days and it’s not taught among the white trash crowd.

As for being called a YUPPIE. I am supposed to be insulted? If being a yuppie means that I make enough money so that my wife does not have to work and that we can pay the bills, save a good amount, and have enough money for whatever, vacations, etc. Then, yeah. I’m a yuppie.

Does that make me a pussy? I don’t know. I’ve clean and jerked 180 kg. Is that manly enough for you? I’ve full back squatted 240 kg. and clean-grip deadlifted 270 kg., snatched 140 kg. and benched 200 kg. all with no wraps, no belt, etc.

Was I a yuppie when I was on a full football scholarship at a Big East school, too? Am I a yuppie when I compete locally in mixed martial arts, and nationally in o-lifting and powerlifting? Or is all that ‘tough guy’ shit negated by the fact that I also have a relatively high-paying job? Should I not accept that money because it’s not red-neck enough to not dig ditches?[/quote]

I would imagine that several people who end up becoming regulars here are professionals who make close to or over 50 grand a year. It isn’t the income that makes someone materialistic. I don’t judge the value of a human being by how big their house is. I grew up in the “bad part of town” (whatever that TRULY means) and many of my friends who I grew up with are still working very hard just to pay rent. Their value doesn’t decrease if my income bracket jumps a level (despite whatever strain that may put on our relationships).

When someone cries out about those of lower income as if they should be avoided, it makes me wonder about that person’s character. I can imagine that type of person would turn up their nose at someone driving a beat up car or someone from a different culture if they wear baggy pants or a football jersey.

Regardless of what I accomplish in life, my roots are still in south Houston in a neighborhood where the odd stabbing or shooting became background noise because it happened so often. Because of that, my judgement of others is not based on income, style of dress or how much money they spent beautifying their front yard. None of that means much to me. If anything, I probably judge those who do focus on things like that in majority to be not worth my time.

As far as people not moving out of your way, maybe you simply need to lift more weights. People generally move out of my way simply because I am bigger than they are.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
As far as people not moving out of your way, maybe you simply need to lift more weights. People generally move out of my way simply because I am bigger than they are.[/quote]

I don’t think it has so much to do with your size as it does with just how butt-ugly you are.

I’m just sayin…