The 'Thin Privilege'

[quote]RicRob wrote:
My brother shared this with me. This seems like a good add to the thread.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BodyAcceptance[/quote]

´Tis be true, swolestation is a serious problem.

Too many swole bros have been ridiculed or seen as mere pieces of meat to be devoured, its swolism, thats what it is.

My Johnson suffers discrimination due to swolism.

I deserve a trophy.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

Fat people (by which I mean obese, not lose a few lbs, or even 30 lbs) are overwhelmingly lazy or have pyschological issues.

If I could, I would not hire fat people, but apparently thats illegal now.[/quote]

How can you get in trouble for that? Ideally you interview more people than you hire so the reason you don’t hire someone is just you preferred someone else.[/quote]

Obama’s EEOC decided that fat people who are fat without an underlying disability are “disabled” under the ADA, and thus you have to make “reasonable accomodations” for their fat asses.

In short, fat people that are voluntarily fat — not a heart condition, not diabetes, just fat because they eat too much and move too little — are protected.

Seriously. I read it here first, then my HR director told me. Then I looked it up. It’s true.[/quote]

so much face palm i gave myself a concussion.

If someone wants to be a disgusting fat fuck, go right ahead, it’s still a free country. Just dont bitch about it.

From the comments:

“The First Lady will not declare a campaign to prevent children from growing up to look like you.”

Holy shit that is just great.

Whatever. I am 6’10" tall. Unless I want to wear basketball clothes I have had to wear clothes either I made (or when I was 14 my mom) or that I now have made.

Shoes (all custom) were a major budget item when growing up.

I didn’t bitch about manufactureres not making freak-show tall clothes. I am well aware I am a freak show and well aware it is my job to fit into society.

I didn’t bitch about “normal height” privilege or the stupid jokes about “the weather up there” or the fact I can’t fit into basically any car, let alone an airline seat.

I didn’t bitch about getting a waiver to join the the 5th Group (because i am too fucking tall) or the fact my kevlar basically covered about 2/3 of what it was supposed to cover, leaving me exposed to enemy fire. I just fucking bought my own kevlar, cut the vest and stuck the rest on the bottom with duct tape.

Now, there is not a damn thing I could do to stop growing.

99.99% of fat people just need to put the fucking fork down. It’s in their control.[/quote]

Are most people terrified of you in real life?

I’m 5’2" and I met a 6’8" guy once and I felt like I was looking up a tree. I had to crank my head back so far I almost fell over.

If he killed and skinned me, he might be able to make a pair of underwear.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I’m awful at basketball. I’m going to start a blog complaining about basketball privilege, and bask in the attention I don’t deserve for being shitty at basketball. [/quote]

Dude if you want a contributor who is also awful at basketball hit me up…

[quote]polo77j wrote:

I’m awful at basketball. I’m going to start a blog complaining about basketball privilege, and bask in the attention I don’t deserve for being shitty at basketball. [/quote]

[/quote]

Does your junk also feel ashamed of being so damn bulky do to rampant swoleism?

If so, we have ourselves a duel purpose club.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
You can be fat and not be lazy. And being fat does not give other people the right, or in their minds, the responsibility, to approach you unsolicited and give you advice about how you should lead your life.

The bottom line is that BOTH sides of this argument conflate the health risks of obesity with a moral imperative to be a healthy weight. You can have all the opinions you like about the aesthetics of being fat, or the health risks associated with it; but those opinions do not give you the right to treat other people like crap. [/quote]

Amen.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
You can be fat and not be lazy. [/quote]

Yeah, big bones.

Sorry, every REALLY bad employee I’ve ever had was a fat ass.[/quote]

Meh. My dad was obese but not only was a workaholic, but built a very successful business, threw around machine parts that most average men would kill themselves lifting and could probably have crushed you with his bare hands :slight_smile:

KFC + workaholic = no time for exercise and a very big ass

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

Fat people (by which I mean obese, not lose a few lbs, or even 30 lbs) are overwhelmingly lazy or have pyschological issues.

If I could, I would not hire fat people, but apparently thats illegal now.[/quote]

How can you get in trouble for that? Ideally you interview more people than you hire so the reason you don’t hire someone is just you preferred someone else.[/quote]

Obama’s EEOC decided that fat people who are fat without an underlying disability are “disabled” under the ADA, and thus you have to make “reasonable accomodations” for their fat asses.

In short, fat people that are voluntarily fat — not a heart condition, not diabetes, just fat because they eat too much and move too little — are protected.

Seriously. I read it here first, then my HR director told me. Then I looked it up. It’s true.[/quote]

as someone studying genetics and biochemistry

the claim that all these people can’t lose weight because of reasons out of their control is absolute fucking bullshit.

You do not watch your dick disappear in fat rolls because of genetics, the amount of people who have no control over their situation accounts for < 0.00001% of the population. It is pure and utter laziness.

I was fat and now I’m less fat, definitely not obese, the only reason i was ever that fat was because i was lazy. I have hashimoto’s and celiac so no don’t tell me it’s a disease beyond my control.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I also, by the way, remember people making nasty comments to her about her weight as she walked into stores. On numerous occasions. That’s not OK. And why do so many people think it is?[/quote]

Is there a difference, in your mind, between someone making a nasty comment to your mother specifically and someone making a nasty comment about the obese population in general?[/quote]

Why would a happy healthy individual be compelled to make a nasty comment either way?

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]nephorm wrote:
You can be fat and not be lazy. And being fat does not give other people the right, or in their minds, the responsibility, to approach you unsolicited and give you advice about how you should lead your life.

The bottom line is that BOTH sides of this argument conflate the health risks of obesity with a moral imperative to be a healthy weight. You can have all the opinions you like about the aesthetics of being fat, or the health risks associated with it; but those opinions do not give you the right to treat other people like crap. [/quote]

Amen.[/quote]

Outside of ignorant people, most of the list in the OP isn’t that though.

The cloths size thing for example, isn’t treating people like shit. Not at all.

Again, no one should be acting like an asshole and going out of their way to yell at people from across the parking lot, or give advice without being asked, but the whole idea of “thin privilege” is redonk.

This one time, I was standing outside the bar with my girl at at the time, and some dude yelled out “fuck her, I did”. Single privilege, evil evil single privilege.

Fat shaming could work guys

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I also, by the way, remember people making nasty comments to her about her weight as she walked into stores. On numerous occasions. That’s not OK. And why do so many people think it is?[/quote]

Is there a difference, in your mind, between someone making a nasty comment to your mother specifically and someone making a nasty comment about the obese population in general?[/quote]

Why would a happy healthy individual be compelled to make a nasty comment either way?[/quote]

Because its completely normal to feel revulsion towards something so unnatural. Even many fat people feel that way towards other fatties.

I’m talking about very fat people (35%+ bf).

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]nephorm wrote:

Why would a happy healthy individual be compelled to make a nasty comment either way?[/quote]

I’m happy, to my knowledge I’m healthy, and people very close to me would be considered obese.

But I’ve also got a sense of humor, and sometimes fat jokes (in a general sense) are very funny. Mean spirited comments towards a specific individual are generally not funny and the person responsible just plain wasn’t raised right.

Context is everything, IMO.

Edit - I just realized context can make the comment I am referring to cease to be a “nasty” comment, and thus, fall out of scope.

So no, I do not like nasty comments either way.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[/quote]

If so, we have ourselves a duel purpose club.[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t suffer shame from anything aside from dating a fatty in high school

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t suffer shame from anything aside from dating a fatty in high school[/quote]

I’ve never felt so alone and hurt in my life. Small weenier privilege everywhere, getting better BJ’s and everything.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t suffer shame from anything aside from dating a fatty in high school[/quote]

I’ve never felt so alone and hurt in my life. Small weenier privilege everywhere, getting better BJ’s and everything. [/quote]

…as long as I keep my eyes closed … otherwise it just looks like she’s drinking through a straw and I get embarrassed :frowning:

regular weeny privileges should be abolished

I am 6’10" tall.[/quote]
how much do you weigh?

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]nephorm wrote:
You can be fat and not be lazy. [/quote]

Yeah, big bones.

Sorry, every REALLY bad employee I’ve ever had was a fat ass.[/quote]

Meh. My dad was obese but not only was a workaholic, but built a very successful business, threw around machine parts that most average men would kill themselves lifting and could probably have crushed you with his bare hands :slight_smile:

KFC + workaholic = no time for exercise and a very big ass[/quote]

same thing here.
just replace “built a very successful business” by “saved thousands of lives during his medical career”.