T Nation

The 'Thin Privilege'

Feeling unmotivated to smash some weights at the gym? Here is your pre-workout energy boost. Enjoy

everydayfeminism.com/2012/11/20-examples-of-thin-privilege/

And zero empathy was had that day.

LOL at some of that shit.

Best comment:

“Being overweight or obese is not a health problem or a disease or anything at all except a body shape. Body size is NOT an indicator of health.”

The Facebook comments hurt my head. It’s a lot of overweight people it seems defending being obese is okay when science has pointed that you increase your chance of x amount and y type of diseases.

Fat people will say anything to justify being fat.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
Fat people will say anything to justify being fat.[/quote]

pretty much, fucking kills me.

“poor me, i stuff my face to the point where taxpayers have to pay for my scooter so i can ride around and stuff my face even more whilst burning even less calories, poor me it’s so hard being this fucking disgusting”

The author

That whole site should be nuked.

From orbit.

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
Fat people will say anything to justify being fat.[/quote]

pretty much, fucking kills me.

“poor me, i stuff my face to the point where taxpayers have to pay for my scooter so i can ride around and stuff my face even more whilst burning even less calories, poor me it’s so hard being this fucking disgusting”[/quote]

Do recognize anorexia and bulimia as a mental eating disorder? There is the other extreme as well. Most overweight people just need to exercise. As many join the work force it’s not a decrease in metabolism or eating more but a decrease in muscle mass. Decrease in muscle mass leads to a decrease in mitochondria numbers.

It really hurts my head to read comments by uneducated overweight people that are all high strung on saying “It’s okay to be obese/overweight, society just needs to accept us.” (paraphrasing of course)

That shit is pathetic. I don’t feel sorry for fat people. They do it to themselves.

[quote]cueball wrote:
Best comment:

“Being overweight or obese is not a health problem or a disease or anything at all except a body shape. Body size is NOT an indicator of health.”[/quote]

^^^

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
Fat people will say anything to justify being fat.[/quote]

pretty much, fucking kills me.

“poor me, i stuff my face to the point where taxpayers have to pay for my scooter so i can ride around and stuff my face even more whilst burning even less calories, poor me it’s so hard being this fucking disgusting”[/quote]

Do recognize anorexia and bulimia as a mental eating disorder? There is the other extreme as well. Most overweight people just need to exercise. As many join the work force it’s not a decrease in metabolism or eating more but a decrease in muscle mass. Decrease in muscle mass leads to a decrease in mitochondria numbers.

It really hurts my head to read comments by uneducated overweight people that are all high strung on saying “It’s okay to be obese/overweight, society just needs to accept us.” (paraphrasing of course)[/quote]

I feel like it’s part of this new culture where everyone is hyper-sensitive and needs to be accepted as is. No one can hear criticism anymore, let alone work on their shortcomings.

I love the fat people that say that some people just can’t lose weight. They’ve tried EVERYTHING. They just have a slow metabolism.


Sickening example of thin privilege.

TACOS

Fat people (by which I mean obese, not lose a few lbs, or even 30 lbs) are overwhelmingly lazy or have pyschological issues.

If I could, I would not hire fat people, but apparently thats illegal now.

That article is someone being ironic, right…?

It’s not even ignorance of the consequences anymore. The endgame of this so called campaign against ‘fat-shaming’ is for lifestyle fatties to eat what they want, when they want and fuck everyone else because someone else will pick up the pieces.

What is it about internet feminism and a complete absence of logic that seem to go hand-in-hand? Feelings shouldn’t be considered because they needn’t come into play - if you eat too much and don’t move enough you will end up fat, objective fact, no feelings involved. To paraphrase one of the facebook comments ‘there is no proven health risks linked to being obese’. Yeah, of course not.

Male privilege -> white male privilege -> straight white male privilege -> straight white “thin” (non-fat/obese) male privilege?

You can be fat and not be lazy. And being fat does not give other people the right, or in their minds, the responsibility, to approach you unsolicited and give you advice about how you should lead your life.

The bottom line is that BOTH sides of this argument conflate the health risks of obesity with a moral imperative to be a healthy weight. You can have all the opinions you like about the aesthetics of being fat, or the health risks associated with it; but those opinions do not give you the right to treat other people like crap.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
You can be fat and not be lazy. And being fat does not give other people the right, or in their minds, the responsibility, to approach you unsolicited and give you advice about how you should lead your life.

The bottom line is that BOTH sides of this argument conflate the health risks of obesity with a moral imperative to be a healthy weight. You can have all the opinions you like about the aesthetics of being fat, or the health risks associated with it; but those opinions do not give you the right to treat other people like crap. [/quote]

Agreed, but this article was ridiculous, wouldn’t you say? The premise that thin people have a privilege that fat people are not able to have is ridiculous.

In some cases that may be true, but the vast majority it is not. No one is stopping fat people from being thin, except themselves (for the vast majority of cases).