The Road To Former Fat Boy

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
…[/quote]

Mine was over 500 a lot and 600 at times. Your blood pressure and SHR are really good, even by normal standards. Cholesterol is up there, but can be deceiving as to how immediately dangerous it is depending on other factors. A whole different topic.

My biggest concern as has been mentioned by others as well is the rebound. You’re playing Russian yo yo roulette with your metabolism and while the immediate results may be exciting, over the long haul you are likely to regret having gone this route. That’s all anybody,s saying.

Even if you do wind up ok in the end I’ll bet money right now that a few years hence you will look back and see that you made it harder on yourself using a hammer instead of wrench in the beginning. I have nothing to gain by telling you this. I’m not universally anti V-Diet and nobody’s paying me. You say you aren’t looking for a quick fix, but if jumping head first into the velocity diet on day one isn’t exactly that I don’t know what is.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
If you can’t understand that then my third mistake has been trying to explain it to you. [/quote]

Your fourth mistake was assuming you have an exclusive on “the truth”.

Your fifth mistake was proving that you’re posting the same opinion under different names for an illusion of added authenticity.

Your sixth mistake was assuming I care what a troll like you thinks.

My one mistake was not taking my own advice and ignoring your posts like I (and most other people) usually do.

Oops. I did it again. Oh well. I’m outta here.

Feel free to have the last word.

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
You know, responding to the negative posts is probably a bad idea [/quote]

JW you are confusing “negativity” with people wanting to help you get control of your disease and yr health. There are tons of complications associated with diabetis - cardiovascular damage, impotence, retinal damage just to name a few. The quicker you get control of your disease, the more likely you are to avoid that stuff.

In my count there is at least one health care professional and two or three type II diabetics posting in this thread, trying to advise you.

They are trying to help you avoid mistakes, not be “negative” or “hate on you” or whatever.

Some are more blunt than others. My first post to you was pretty gentle. Then I felt I had to be more blunt, because to me at least it seems like you are still in denial about what really needs to be done to take control and manage your condition.

When I was diagnosed I was in denial too about the fundamental changes I needed to make, and consequently I made a lot of stupid choices and mistakes.

Thank goodness somebody finally pointed me in the right direction.

Thats what people here are trying to do for you. Believe me, that is not “negativity”

I went from taking 20 units of humalog a day plus the actos pills and still having spotty control, as I floundered about w nutrition. Then somebody pointed me in the right direction. Today I have extremely tight control, and I am not taking ANY diabetes medication – all because I got my nutrition and exercise in order.

As always best of luck

[quote]e-loo wrote:
JWJordan wrote:
You know, responding to the negative posts is probably a bad idea

JW you are confusing “negativity” with people wanting to help you get control of your disease and yr health. There are tons of complications associated with diabetis - cardiovascular damage, impotence, retinal damage just to name a few. The quicker you get control of your disease, the more likely you are to avoid that stuff.

In my count there is at least one health care professional and two or three type II diabetics posting in this thread, trying to advise you.

They are trying to help you avoid mistakes, not be “negative” or “hate on you” or whatever.

Some are more blunt than others. My first post to you was pretty gentle. Then I felt I had to be more blunt, because to me at least it seems like you are still in denial about what really needs to be done to take control and manage your condition.

When I was diagnosed I was in denial too about the fundamental changes I needed to make, and consequently I made a lot of stupid choices and mistakes.

Thank goodness somebody finally pointed me in the right direction.

Thats what people here are trying to do for you. Believe me, that is not “negativity”

I went from taking 20 units of humalog a day plus the actos pills and still having spotty control, as I floundered about w nutrition. Then somebody pointed me in the right direction. Today I have extremely tight control, and I am not taking ANY diabetes medication – all because I got my nutrition and exercise in order.

As always best of luck
[/quote]

I’m onboard with this whole post which makes sense because it’s really me posing as e-loo according to yorik.

I also have very tight control without medication and mine was a lot higher than yours, meaning the OP. It couldn’t be higher than e-loo,s because he’s really me so they’d have to be the same. Unless of course I was even cleverer than yorik thinks I am. Where’s eengrms76 my other type 2 alter ego when I need em?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I’m onboard with this whole post which makes sense because it’s really me posing as e-loo [/quote]

LOL – well, I have always had a “we are one people” attitude about other folks w type II diabetes. You know, “I have walked in your shoes,” blah blah blah.

So I ‘guess’ we could be the same person in that sense.

But your avatar is way better than mine.

The cholestrol concerns me, but both my Doctor and I are looking at it as a secondary concern, in that we can address it after the blood sugar is under control.

And, apparently, the blood sugar affects cholesterol.

I don’t regard anyone that disagrees with me as negative or negativity, but calling me an idiot and making presumption about me is.

The metabolism slowdown is the biggest concern, but the psychological benefits I’m hoping for outweigh the risk.

It maybe just the power of suggestion at working, but I’m already craving vegatables, which is a heretofore unprecedented event.

So whether or not I’m hyponotizing by the mesmerizing power of Shugart, I’ll take it.

And, you know, I can always stop if things go south.

I’ll update things again later tonight, the day not being over, but since today was my day off from work, I’ll post the gym shit while I remember it.

(I do keep a journal, but I leave it and my gym bag in the car so I won’t forget them.)

Gym Goodness

Bench

45 * 10
135 * 5
155 * 3
195 * 4
200 * 3,3,3,3,3

Notes: The 195 just barely went up, so like any sensible person, I increased the weight. First set was rough, but after that I felt solid and springy. Might have been the Surge or whatever. Dunno.

Trap Bar Deadlift

135 * 5
155 * 3,3,5

Notes: Not that any part of me is all that strong, but my legs are even weaker than that.

Squatting has lead to some kind of injury every time I try them (er… not all at once, but at some point after a weeks or months of them) so I figured I’d give these a whirl.

I’m not certain the bar weighs forty five pounds. Eyeballing it, the length of the bars appear to be equal to a seven foot o bar, and the diameter is the same.

So the weight may or may not be accurate. But there’s only one bar, so it don’t make no difference.

Seated Military Press

45 * 5
95 * 5
115 * 5
135 * 5
145 * 3
155 * 1

Notes: I have done these in a long time (even predating the health related layoff that sidelined me for much of 2006) but I was curious how the Cybex doohikey compared.

I can use about fifteen pounds more on the Cybex Plateloading Press, if anybody but me cares.

DB Rows

100 * 3,3,3

Notes: Again, while no part is particularly strong, my back and shoulders tend to be a bit stronger than my legs and chest.

Ab and rotator cuff work.

Notes: Not that I care about six pack abs, but I do this sort of thing to keep my insides, well, inside.

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
…I don’t regard anyone that disagrees with me as negative or negativity, but calling me an idiot and making presumption about me is…
[/quote]

He wasn’t calling you an idiot. He was calling the other guy an idiot. Seriously, lol.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
JWJordan wrote:
…I don’t regard anyone that disagrees with me as negative or negativity, but calling me an idiot and making presumption about me is…

He wasn’t calling you an idiot. He was calling the other guy an idiot. Seriously, lol.[/quote]

I was wondering who the hell he was talking about because no one in this thread called him an idiot.

So he disregarded everything said because he misunderstood what was being said?

Whoops. Mea culpa.

This exchange…

"The OP realistically needs ONE FUCKING YEAR to lose his weight. Why then are you only looking at 28 days of that ONE YEAR?

Because he’s an idiot. He is yet another one of these guys who has little experience but tons of “book readin’” and simply wants to be heard."

…looked like the idiot part was referring to me, but looking at it again it clearly isn’t.

I apologize for making that assumption. Sorry.

Reading too fast, I suppose.

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
Whoops. Mea culpa.

This exchange…

"The OP realistically needs ONE FUCKING YEAR to lose his weight. Why then are you only looking at 28 days of that ONE YEAR?

Because he’s an idiot. He is yet another one of these guys who has little experience but tons of “book readin’” and simply wants to be heard."

…looked like the idiot part was referring to me, but looking at it again it clearly isn’t.

I apologize for making that assumption. Sorry.

Reading too fast, I suppose.[/quote]

Gee, now that this is out of the way, how about you actually start to listen.

[quote]daltron wrote:
Professor X wrote:
The Velocity diet is the worst possible route to take for someone at your stage of development.

That wasn’t just written for no reason. It would be, possibly, the largest mistake you could make. There is NO WAY a person who has that much to lose should jump on a diet like that. You are guaranteed to fail and possibly go backwards in progress.

I’m not a Prof X groupie (or am I!) but he hit it clear on the nail. Since I’m basically in the same situation as you in terms of height/weight, let me tell you the V-diet is NOT the way to start off. Following basic eating principles like mentioned above is a much smarter way to begin your transformation. But hey, if you can last on the V-Diet then more power to you, I certainly couldn’t.

[/quote]

I don’t like telling people what to do but I’d STRONGLY suggest you forget the V-diet and follow Berardi’s precision nutrition plan.

I had hormone tests and blood work done before, after, and much after the V diet. I lost about 15 lbs of fat and kept it off for about six weeks. At the seven week mark, I started craving sugar uncontrolably and felt like shit all the time. I had tests done and my blood sugar and thyriod crashed to very low levels.

A month later, I was a bloated mess and gained back much of the weight. I had more work done and even though I was consuming more calories, my thyroid went down AGAIN. It took months for it to go back up and by the time it did, I gained back all the weight I’d lost and then some. Read Lonnie Lowery’s Yo-Yo Dieting article. That story could have been about me and my V-diet experience.

I’m telling you this because I think it’s for your own good, GET OFF THE V-DIET!!!

This guy is playin fast and loose with his health. I can’t get myself to believe that Shugart himself would recommend this to a guy like him.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
This guy is playin fast and loose with his health. I can’t get myself to believe that Shugart himself would recommend this to a guy like him.[/quote]

But wait, aren’t you going to play devil’s advocate for no damn reason?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
This guy is playin fast and loose with his health. I can’t get myself to believe that Shugart himself would recommend this to a guy like him.

But wait, aren’t you going to play devil’s advocate for no damn reason?[/quote]

Yeah, come to think of it. It ain’t my eye’s, limbs, kidneys or heart. Maybe he should go on a Gatorade n Powerbar diet so we can see what effect it has on him.

POP TARTS AHOY!

Short, sweet and to the point – I would only add “make sure you get some healthy fats,” and “divide your daily food intake into 5 or 6 small meals a day, and eat protein at each meal” – that really made a huge impact on keeping my blood sugar levels stable and my metabolism on track.

[quote]e-loo wrote:
MODOK wrote:Clean up your diet to only include vegetables, lean protein, and maybe one piece of fruit a day. Have a cheat meal every week. Do your cardio and never miss a weight session. This is how you begin to straighten up your lifestyle and get on the road to looking good and being healthy. It will require tweaking, but its a start.

Short, sweet and to the point – I would only add “make sure you get some healthy fats,” and “divide your daily food intake into 5 or 6 small meals a day, and eat protein at each meal” – that really made a huge impact on keeping my blood sugar levels stable and my metabolism on track.

[/quote]

Specifics like this are where people are going to vary. In my case I didn’t even drop my calories by much if any at all. I simply swapped shit food for quality and spread it out over 6 meals.

The first few weeks I had no access to training equipment either. I used milk jugs filled with water and other various household sundries along with bodyweight work. I actually made readily noticeable progress like that until we got our loan and I bought my training stuff.

I had marks on the jugs for how much water equaled how much weight and had a milk jug dumb bell set going there for a little while. I had to learn how to hold 2 1 gallon milk jugs in one hand because I got stronger.

In a nutshell I went back to my old training days as far as nutrition and working out were concerned and everything else took care of itself. In six months every indicator was that I was in perfect health in every area though I’m sure the internal repair will be going on for a while yet.

Also I wasn’t 300 pounds though I was sickeningly fat and outta shape. It will take him longer even if does everything right. When I’m ready I’ll post my before and afters. Even now except for the tatoos, scars and recognizable facial features you wouldn’t even know it was me and yes I’m very proud of that before sunshine boy shows back up and accuses me of bragging now.

Day Four

Workout listed above, but I went for another mile walk because it was a nice night.

Same as before, for the most part. Actually work to get all the shakes down, and tonight I was a tad nauesous. Blood sugar still steady.

No hunger to speak of, but the smell of turkey burgers was pretty damn tempting. I actually drooled a little.

That’d be the other reason for the extra walk, actually.

The last two nights I woken up around four in the morning, which is not unusual since that’s the nighty night pee pee time, but I was wide awake both times, and it was difficult to get back to sleep.

Honestly, I didn’t get back to sleep, and just went to the home office and did some work.

Thus far the lack of sleep affected me through the day, but still. This may or may not have anything to do with the diet - I’ve been prone to insomnia most of my life and don’t sleep much anyway.

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
he smell of turkey burgers was pretty damn tempting. I actually drooled a little.[/quote]

Your body is trying to tell you something – it wants quality food. It doesn’t want to live on Surge and Colon Cleansing products.

Lean turkey burgers and vegetables would make a great meal for you. You could be having six nutritious meals a day, made up of lean meats, low-glycemic carbs like veggies and fruits, and healthy fats like almonds and peanuts. You could even cheat now and again, and still lose weight, pack on muscle, lower your cholestorol, etc etc.

One more time – please pick up a copy of The Metabolism Advantage by Dr. John Berardi. I see Amazon.com has used copies of it for $12 and new ones for $16ish.

That is not a huge financial commitment to make. It will take you about 2 days to read in your spare time. If I could buy it for you I would.

You will learn a hell of a lot about the latest nutritional studies on how your body uses food. And the best way to feed it.

As always, GOOD LUCK!

And in the meantime, I am sure Dr. Berardi won’t care if I share this recipe (BTW, mods, recipes aren’t covered by copyright law – weird, huh?)

p190 - Metabolism Advantage

BAKED YAM AND TURKEY MEATBALL MARINARA

Yams are a great source of fiber and nutrient rich carbohydrates, making this meal perfect after a workout. Thankfully, you can quickly nuke them and stuff them with pre-made ingredients.

3 medium tomatoes, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, cored, seed, and sliced
dash of dried oregano
dash of dried basil
Salt to taste
1 lb 97-98% lean ground turkey breast
1 omega 3 egg, beaten
Black pepper to taste
I medium yam

Preheat the oven to 400F. In a nonstick skillet over medium low heat, combine the tomatoes, half of the garlic, half of the onions, the bell pepper, oregano, basil and a dash of salt. Stir and cover.

In a large bowl combine the trukey, remaining garlic and onion, the egg, a dash of salt and the black pepper. Form into 2-nch meatballs. place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. . .

With a fork or knife, poke some holes in the yam. Microwave on high for 6 mins or until you can easily insert a fork into the center.

In a large bowl, combine the meatballs and tomato sauce. Cut the yam down the center and mash the flesh with a fork. Stuff with the meatballs and sauce and microwave until warm.

Prep Time 30 minutes — makes 2 servings.

Per serving 553 calories, 64g protein. 64g carbohydrate. 11g fiber, 14g sugar, 4g fat (1 g saturated, 1 g monosaturated, 2 g polyunsaturated. 0.2 omega 3, 1.1 omega-6)

Bro, what type of food are you planning on eating while following the v diet?