The Road To Former Fat Boy

(I’ll start with bashing you, but then I’ll make a U turn, so keep reading.)

If I was you, I’d rather start making incremental changes over a long period of time. “Charging like a bull” never worked in my experience (be it diet changes, exercise, kicking bad habits or what have you), and almost never worked as far as I can tell from watching other people. However, incremental changes made at a slow but relentless pace over a long time (months, years) are not easily undone by temporary failures and, instead, build solid habits that last a lifetime.

“Lifetime” is the keyword here. There’s a nasty pervasive mistake in the current public opinion that makes people do crazy things such as “exercise and diet for 3 months to get into bikini shape for summer” or stuff like that. If they make any change at all, it’s probably due to good genetics, and it disappears as soon as their will power runs out of batteries - which almost always happens sooner rather than later.

Whereas, in real life, nothing works except changes that you make forever. If you make changes to your diet, exercise, etc that you can sustain for 20 years, you WILL see results, and those results will not vanish at the slightest hesitation.

With that being said, hey, the mind is a powerful thing. And nobody is the owner of ultimate knowledge. You’re clearly too determined at this point to change your resolution, so in this case I can only wish you good luck and prove everyone wrong, including myself.

Keep posting.

What are you going to do when your metabolism has sunk after your 4 weeks on the V-Diet? What will be your plan for restoring your metabolism? Do you have a plan?

You have 26 days to make a plan. Do so, and stick to it. But don’t expect much help around here. You’ve already demonstrated that you’re unwilling to listen to those who have “been there, done that.”

Your best bet is to shell out the money for Precision Nutrition. Today.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
…Your metabolism SLOWS DOWN over the course of a diet. It doesn’t speed up. If you start it at the bottom of your possible caloric intake, you have no where to go when that happens…
[/quote]

I don’t know where this got lost, but it’s been known for decades and is one the few “facts” of exercise physiology that is so consistently and exhaustively well documented that the fact that it stil has to be labored over confuses me.

Is it not new and cool enough or something?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I don’t know where this got lost, but it’s been known for decades and is one the few “facts” of exercise physiology that is so consistently and exhaustively well documented that the fact that it stil has to be labored over confuses me.

Is it not new and cool enough or something?[/quote]

It is “basic,” and therefore unexciting. Just like eating 6 times a day and training hard are basic concepts. After ever 4 weeks of dieting, I take a week off to restore my metabolism. It’s boring and I miss the instant gratification of not seeing the scale move down, but it’s what has to be done to avoid really screwing the metabolism up. Building a better body (whether that means losing fat or gaining muscle) is a long-term process that requires considerable thought and planning.

Thinking and planning takes time and effort. Hence, why so few do either. And why so many fail.

I’m going to take the opposite point of view here just as devil’s advocate. The Velocity Diet is a derivative of the protein sparing modified fast, which was originally designed for morbidly obese people to lose weight rapidly, for example (as per the original Fat Fast) if the subject needs to lose weight before undergoing surgery. To say the Velocity Diet is not for obese people is a bit obtuse.

Now the VD is very strict and has it’s problems, but one of the benefits is the elimination of food cravings, making future diet changes much easier. It also has the benefit of rapid positive feedback.

I’d also be concerned about conceding failure on the 2nd day of ANY diet. You have not failed, you just haven’t mastered it. Don’t be surprised if it takes a few days to get it down right.

It’ll be interesting to see how Shugart’s Velocity Diet book comes out.

[quote]yorik wrote:
I’m going to take the opposite point of view here just as devil’s advocate. The Velocity Diet is a derivative of the protein sparing modified fast, which was originally designed for morbidly obese people to lose weight rapidly, for example (as per the original Fat Fast) if the subject needs to lose weight before undergoing surgery. To say the Velocity Diet is not for obese people is a bit obtuse.

Now the VD is very strict and has it’s problems, but one of the benefits is the elimination of food cravings, making future diet changes much easier. It also has the benefit of rapid positive feedback.

I’d also be concerned about conceding failure on the 2nd day of ANY diet. You have not failed, you just haven’t mastered it. Don’t be surprised if it takes a few days to get it down right.

[/quote]

Dammit I did it again. I assumed that somebody taking the time to register and post on this site was interested in more than just dumping as much weight as fast as possible.

This guy isn’t prepping for surgery and there is no emergency so immediate that he needs to do anything more radical than replace bad habits with good ones over the long term. Shugart himself practically labeled the article “for educational purposes only”.

Just like me it took him years to get to get where he is. If anything is obtuse it’s the assumption that he now has the right to assume that his best bet is the promise of overnight repair. Even if it worked, the less he had to work for it the less likely he is to hang on to it long term which in his case could cost him his eyesight, his appendages or his life.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Dammit I did it again. I assumed that somebody taking the time to register and post on this site was interested in more than just dumping as much weight as fast as possible. [/quote]

Yep, that was your first mistake.

Your second mistake was assuming that people recognize you as an undisputed expert.

If this guy wants to try a velocity diet, I say it’s just fine. He’s at least starting somewhere. And that’s why Chris Shugart is writing a book for the great un-sweaty masses to try the V-Diet for themselves.

I, for one, will support the OP. I won’t lecture him.

If the diet works, great. If it doesn’t, then he’s a little wiser. If he then tries again with something else, he’s even better off.

Frankly, the V-Diet doesn’t work all that well for me, but I didn’t know that until I tried it.

On a side note, it’s funny how the responses on this thread are almost universally anti-V-Diet. It’s like one person was posting under different names.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
What are you going to do when your metabolism has sunk after your 4 weeks on the V-Diet? What will be your plan for restoring your metabolism? Do you have a plan?

You have 26 days to make a plan. Do so, and stick to it. But don’t expect much help around here. You’ve already demonstrated that you’re unwilling to listen to those who have “been there, done that.”

Your best bet is to shell out the money for Precision Nutrition. Today.[/quote]

You know, responding to the negative posts is probably a bad idea, but this one interests me.

I do have a plan. I said that in the original post, although I didn’t go into much detail.

And I’m not expecting a quick fix here, nor to solve any of my problems, and I mentioned all that in the first two posts I made.

I have the impression that people scan, see V-Diet, and stop reading.

Or maybe I was unclear.

The Velocity diet is the worst possible route to take for someone at your stage of development.

That wasn’t just written for no reason. It would be, possibly, the largest mistake you could make. There is NO WAY a person who has that much to lose should jump on a diet like that. You are guaranteed to fail and possibly go backwards in progress.[/quote]

I’m not a Prof X groupie (or am I!) but he hit it clear on the nail. Since I’m basically in the same situation as you in terms of height/weight, let me tell you the V-diet is NOT the way to start off. Following basic eating principles like mentioned above is a much smarter way to begin your transformation. But hey, if you can last on the V-Diet then more power to you, I certainly couldn’t.

[quote]yorik wrote:
If this guy wants to try a velocity diet, I say it’s just fine. He’s at least starting somewhere.

I, for one, will support the OP. I won’t lecture him.

If the diet works, great. If it doesn’t, then he’s a little wiser. If he then tries again with something else, he’s even better off.[/quote]

Dunno, as a type II diabetic myself, hearing about a new diabetic living on stew of Surge, Metabolic Drive!, Maximum Strength HOT-ROX, Benefiber, Oatmeal and Colon Pure worries me.

I think every poster here is trying to support the OP. - when I was diagnosed, I needed to figure out how to manage my life and my disease.It wasn’t about which diet will work for me. It had to be more fundamental, or I was just screwing myself and my health.

I needed to totally relearn how to eat and my nutrition for the long term. You really have to address the fundamentals and get back to zero, or else you are in denial about your health and your condition. I actually did waste a lot of time floundering about, and I would hate to see the OP do the same. A day does not go by when I don’t think of and mentally thank the guy who handed me a copy of “The Zone” and said “read this, it makes a lot of sense.” Berardi wasn’t around then - but I am telling that guy all about “The Metabolism Advantage” etc

[quote]yorik wrote:

[/quote]

Your analsis is short-term and superficial.

What percentage of obese people who go on a PSMF keep the weight off? Exactly.

If you’re going to analyze an issue, look at every aspect of the issue. A very important aspect is whether the person will continue losing weight; or whether he’ll simple resume his old dietary habits and gain even more weight once off the V-Diet.

How is an obese person with horrible dietary habits going to continue to lose weight when his metabolism has dropped? Address that issue, please, as that’s the only one that matters.

The OP realistically needs ONE FUCKING YEAR to lose his weight. Why then are you only looking at 28 days of that ONE YEAR?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
yorik wrote:

Your analsis is short-term and superficial.

What percentage of obese people who go on a PSMF keep the weight off? Exactly.

If you’re going to analyze an issue, look at every aspect of the issue. A very important aspect is whether the person will continue losing weight; or whether he’ll simple resume his old dietary habits and gain even more weight once off the V-Diet.

How is an obese person with horrible dietary habits going to continue to lose weight when his metabolism has dropped? Address that issue, please, as that’s the only one that matters.

The OP realistically needs ONE FUCKING YEAR to lose his weight. Why then are you only looking at 28 days of that ONE YEAR? [/quote]

Because he’s an idiot. He is yet another one of these guys who has little experience but tons of “book readin’” and simply wants to be heard.

No one in their right mind would have someone who has that much weight to lose jump on a quick weight loss diet. The chances of them gaining it all right back are too high to ignore.

You don’t correct YEARS of bad eating and poor nutritional knowledge by trying to do what he thinks is the “easy route”. I have little respect for anyone who can’t understand this.

[quote]yorik wrote:
Your second mistake was assuming that people recognize you as an undisputed expert.
[/quote]

I assumed no such thing, but have actually accomplished what he is trying to do. He is living with a condition that could destroy or end his life. He can obviously do what he wants, but he isn’t in a position to find out later that your neato experiment was wrong.

I’m typing this as a person who has soundly defeated obesity, hypertension and type 2 diabetes without drugs or doctors by making an unshakable commitment to change the way I live the rest of my life, not a 28 day crash experiment. There are other guys here who I know for a fact can say the same thing

If you can’t understand that then my third mistake has been trying to explain it to you.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
yorik wrote:

I assumed no such thing, but have actually accomplished what he is trying to do. He is living with a condition that could destroy or end his life. He can obviously do what he wants, but he isn’t in a position to find out later that your neato experiment was wrong.

I’m typing this as a person who has soundly defeated obesity, hypertension and type 2 diabetes without drugs or doctors by making an unshakable commitment to change the way I live the rest of my life, not a 28 day crash experiment. There are other guys here who I know for a fact can say the same thing

If you can’t understand that then my third mistake has been trying to explain it to you.

[/quote]
Ouch.

The Idiot’s Guide To Idiocy, Day Three

Walked two miles and some change.

Did the last mile alternating swings with a big wooden club, which was fun and might have burned an extra calorie.

Why a big club? I live in the woods, and rabid animals crop up every now and again.

No problems. Energy up, blood sugar stable. Pissed less often but longer, which was good.

Surge is a concern, but the blood sugar spike yesterday was still within normal, and went back to baseline within an hour or two.

Cravings are only an issue in the presence of food, which is instructive. Hungry is pretty nil, except for the morning and right before shake time.

The veggie tray at work is looking awfully appetizing.

how many people in this thread are familiar with the v-diet? i am not.

alownage wrote:
I expect frequent updates to this thread. I think we all do.

I don’t. Realistically, I expect this to go much like Fat Tony’s thread from months ago. Someone who doesn’t listen, jumps in full force going from sedentary to fitness maniac is simply more likely to quit once the going gets tough. That is inevitable for someone with that much weight to lose who cuts their food intake and carbs that drastically from the start.

Your metabolism SLOWS DOWN over the course of a diet. It doesn’t speed up. If you start it at the bottom of your possible caloric intake, you have no where to go when that happens.

People who have dieted before understand this. People who have never stuck to a routine for very long don’t.

This has now been explained several times and this guy won’t listen. What is there to update?[/quote]

It’s extremely unlikely that he will stick to this diet AND keep the weight off.

That being said, what he’s trying to do has probably been done before. But I’m not putting any emotional stock in it, just telling him to keep going and probably laughing if he never posts/shows up again. Shame and peer pressure are some of the most motivating things imaginable.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
how many people in this thread are familiar with the v-diet? i am not.[/quote]

I really only hope the best for this guy, but I dunno. Do asearch for velocity. It has it’s place in some situations, but has become the insta trim method of choice in too many cases in my opinion. Many people who do it shouldn’t, by which I again mean imho. I’m not trying to be anybody’s mama.

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
…Energy up, blood sugar stable…[/quote]

What is yours when it’s high BTW? Fasting and postprandial if you know.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
JWJordan wrote:
…Energy up, blood sugar stable…

What is yours when it’s high BTW? Fasting and postprandial if you know.[/quote]

Uncontrolled and unmedicated:

240 mg/dl fasting, 340 mg/dl after a meal, 340 being the highest I recorded it at.

With medication, I was between 120 and 140 after meals, occasionally spiking up into the 180’s after a particularly crappy meal.

Doing this it’s been within 100 and 120 pretty consistently.

We haven’t done another fasting test, since my Doctor is of the opinion that since people are rarely fasting, that’s not a particularly useful number.

I’m having before and after blood tests, and I’ve got an appointment with my Doctor midway through.

Other health stuff:

Cholestrol: 283, no idea on the LDL/HDL ratios.

Likewise, my triglycerides were elevated but I don’t have a number. For my own satisfaction, I’m going to get a more through report on the blood tests from my Doc.

Blood pressure: 126/70

Resting Pulse: 60

Those two are down a bit from when my blood sugar was out of control, but they’ve, mercifully, never been bad.