The Draft

Read this

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0222/dailyUpdate.html

Think its coming? I wouldn’t think so a few months ago but some of the articles off this main seem to indicate that it might be a necessity.

Christian Science Monitor is a pretty well known liberal hack rag.

Draft wouldn’t bother me. I wish I could serve, actually. But medically I can’t–it’s funny, I can lift a ton of weight or so a day, and have an active job, but I can’t join the army and be an intel officer or something. It seems to me that if they’d let in some of us borderline types, they’d be all set.

In fact, I don’t see why people in wheelchairs and stuff can’t join up, especially with computers and all there’re plenty of jobs that could be filled that don’t need physical perfection.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
Christian Science Monitor is a pretty well known liberal hack rag.

Draft wouldn’t bother me. I wish I could serve, actually. But medically I can’t–it’s funny, I can lift a ton of weight or so a day, and have an active job, but I can’t join the army and be an intel officer or something. It seems to me that if they’d let in some of us borderline types, they’d be all set.

In fact, I don’t see why people in wheelchairs and stuff can’t join up, especially with computers and all there’re plenty of jobs that could be filled that don’t need physical perfection.[/quote]

that’s a shame they won’t let you join up

im a republican, i support our party, voted for bush, support our troops, support our effort, that and I beleive that all Americans who want to join the army should be able to do so

which is why if there is a draft I’m going to use my dual german citizenship and vacation in dresden for a long while.

there was a reason I passed up the Air Force Academy. it’s cuz i don’t want to fight or serve in the military. call me selfish but I know its not for me. If someone wants to serve, well hoorah for them, i’ll pay my taxes and support pro military government issues, but hell if I’m picking up a gun.

besides, a WWII veteran once told me this. He said he’d rather fight next to 5 men that want to be there fighting with him then 50 scared boys pulled away from their family.

and the CSM is a very liberal hack rag

There will not be a draft. They will just continue to keep reserves and national guards overseas longer and longer.

[quote]TravisCS84 wrote:
There will not be a draft. They will just continue to keep reserves and national guards overseas longer and longer. [/quote]

You can’t do that forever, especially with waning influx of new recruits. I don’t know if there will be a draft or not, but I think it completely naive to think that there will NEVER be one. If we keep running after everyone in the name of democracy all over the planet, you will need the troops to back that up.

Everyone is acting like the draft is a four letter word. We’ve had one for every generation in the 20th century until it ended in the 70’s.

WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam…draft, draft, draft and draft.

What is it about this war, or this point in history, that makes the draft so evil? Save the ‘it’s an unjust war’ crap - that argument is not unique to the current situation.

Israel has a service requirement, as does several other countries oaround the globe. Why is there such a fear of service to one’s country

I love this issue. 55 million voted for Bush in the past election. I’m sure many support the war(s).

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY?

They ‘support the troops’ yet they are unwilling to go there and fight with them.

Do I support the troops? Man, those men and women get all my respect. Yet, I pity them more than anything because they are caught in the wrong place, wrong time.

Everyday we have young men and women get killed, I see their faces on the news, Dan Rather’s Profiles of Courage, and it breaks my heart.

Our troops are getting overstretched like hell and many of them do not support our war efforts.

But you think neocons care about these people? Stand up you neocons and help ‘spread Democracy’ you pieces of shit.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Everyone is acting like the draft is a four letter word. We’ve had one for every generation in the 20th century until it ended in the 70’s.

What is it about this war, or this point in history, that makes the draft so evil? Save the ‘it’s an unjust war’ crap - that argument is not unique to the current situation.

Israel has a service requirement, as does several other countries oaround the globe. Why is there such a fear of service to one’s country[/quote]

The president seems awfully determined to promote his new social security program these days. Maybe, he should promote a voluntary draft at his neocon rallies and start it off by sending his two daughters to Iraq. That would be more effective than a mandatory draft, don’t you think?

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Israel has a service requirement, as does several other countries oaround the globe. Why is there such a fear of service to one’s country[/quote]

One of the main reasons it is an issue is due to the current administrations swearing up and down that there will be no draft during the elections. As time goes on we are seeing that is a possibility and lying about it does no good. It is nice, however, to see people like you try to downplay it even though many of us remember these same debates and many of you claiming that there will never be this possibility. I said it then and I say it now…it IS a possibility and it is just one more thing that I look to the current adminstration for and see another half truth. I am sure you will have words for that considering you seem to think Bush walks on water.

obofill -

Nice rants. Really. I mean it.

But my question remains unanswered.

Are you saying that those that voted for Kerry, yet supported the war, should be excluded from service? Are you also saying that sending two girls to fight in your place is okay?

What’s wrong with the draft?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Israel has a service requirement, as does several other countries oaround the globe. Why is there such a fear of service to one’s country

One of the main reasons it is an issue is due to the current administrations swearing up and down that there will be no draft during the elections. As time goes on we are seeing that is a possibility and lying about it does no good. It is nice, however, to see people like you try to downplay it even though many of us remember these same debates and many of you claiming that there will never be this possibility. I said it then and I say it now…it IS a possibility and it is just one more thing that I look to the current adminstration for and see another half truth. I am sure you will have words for that considering you seem to think Bush walks on water.[/quote]

Prof, when they said, “There is no possiblity” it meant that there was no possiblity at the time. Now, it is totally different because of the Iran situation.

One of the main reasons it is an issue is due to the current administrations swearing up and down that there will be no draft during the elections. As time goes on we are seeing that is a possibility and lying about it does no good. It is nice, however, to see people like you try to downplay it even though many of us remember these same debates and many of you claiming that there will never be this possibility. I said it then and I say it now…it IS a possibility and it is just one more thing that I look to the current adminstration for and see another half truth. I am sure you will have words for that considering you seem to think Bush walks on water.[/quote]

So, without even a shread of proof - Bush lied. It’s really not so much my thinking that “Bush walks on water” as it is your blind, baseless accusation that Bush is a liar.

ABBer’s are circling like the jackals they are - just salivating all over themselves in hopes of a military failure, so they can be right just once. Pretty sad.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
obofill -

Nice rants. Really. I mean it.

But my question remains unanswered.

Are you saying that those that voted for Kerry, yet supported the war, should be excluded from service? Are you also saying that sending two girls to fight in your place is okay?

What’s wrong with the draft?

[/quote]

If there was a mandatory draft for Afghanistan, I would have no problems hunting down Bin Laden for this great country.

But the Iraq war was absurd. Lies on top of lies. I will not fight for this president. He’s a sack of shit. Fuck him and his administration.

The draft. As I mentioned, a voluntary draft would be more than enough. The president just needs promote it. Many will follow him willingly, and I would be ecstatic. This will be solve many problems. It would boost the president’s approval because it would actually be hhis first succesful effort as president.

I’m serious, if helping out our armed forces isn’t a ‘faith based initiative’ or a ‘moral value’ I don’t know what is.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
But the Iraq war was absurd. Lies on top of lies. I will not fight for this president. He’s a sack of shit. Fuck him and his administration.
[/quote]

Like I said…jackals.

Voluntary Draft?

Am I the only one that is pretty sure that is what we have right now? Its called voluntary enlistment.

Read that one again, voluntary. So, please, don’t go on about how some of the troops may or may not support the war or the president, they volunteered to serve the will of the people, and war could not have been declared without Congress(the voice of the people) and the President(elected by the people).

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
So, please, don’t go on about how some of the troops may or may not support the war or the president, they volunteered to serve the will of the people, and war could not have been declared without Congress(the voice of the people) and the President(elected by the people).

[/quote]

Wrong. I do not support this war and I am in the military. My obligation is to uphold the CONSTITUTION, regardless of who is in office as the president.

When a person say’s Bush lied, and does not back it up with proof, (and I am talking about real proof that he knew that Iraq didn’t have WMD’s, plus that Iraq actually didn’t have WMD’s and ditch them somehow,) then that person is nothing but a conspiracy nut.

Sorry, but it is true. There is no reason to keep going down this road of bullshit, just because you wanted another person to win the white house.

Now on as to the draft, I really doubt there will be a draft any time soon. Say what you want about Bush, but he has his convictions, and contrary to what people keep saying about him, I don’t think he has ever intentionally said anything he did not believe.

I actually thought he would drop the amendment push after he was elected, but has not, and this actually surprises me. I personally think it is a bad idea, and will not go anywhere.

Also we are slowly giving over to the Iraqi people military control, and that frees up our men for other duties.

I agree with Joe Weider that there should be a place in the military for people who cannot qualify for regular duty. But I also see technology making a stronger and stronger move, making fewer men have the ability of many.

The biggest problem with getting people into the military is actually the economy. The better the economy, the less motivation for going into the military. But that still leaves the true die hard people joining up.

I also agree that a voluntary force is superior to a drafted force. The whole idea of pigeonholing people generally does not work. Kind of a square peg, round hole type of thing. A few hard working intelligent people who belong can do more then a larger group of people who do not belong, and don’t want to belong. I have seen it myself before.

OT:

“Christian Science Monitor is a pretty well known liberal hack rag.”

Nope. I’m a conservative and it is the closest thing I’ve found to something that is down the middle.

Now back to your regularly scheduled argument.

[quote]oboffill wrote:

The president seems awfully determined to promote his new social security program these days. Maybe, he should promote a voluntary draft at his neocon rallies and start it off by sending his two daughters to Iraq. That would be more effective than a mandatory draft, don’t you think?
[/quote]

I’m trying to figure out if you are joking or not – if not, that’s one of the most ignorant statements I’ve read. We already have an all-volunteer armed service.

The article is pure speculation. I’m sure we can always come up with situations in which a draft would be required, but I fail to see anything that would indicate there is a plan for a draft.

Moon Knight wrote:
So, please, don’t go on about how some of the troops may or may not support the war or the president, they volunteered to serve the will of the people, and war could not have been declared without Congress(the voice of the people) and the President(elected by the people).

Wrong. I do not support this war and I am in the military. My obligation is to uphold the CONSTITUTION, regardless of who is in office as the president. [/quote]

Yes, and the Constitution places whom in the position of Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces?