The Draft

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:
So, please, don’t go on about how some of the troops may or may not support the war or the president, they volunteered to serve the will of the people, and war could not have been declared without Congress(the voice of the people) and the President(elected by the people).

Wrong. I do not support this war and I am in the military. My obligation is to uphold the CONSTITUTION, regardless of who is in office as the president.

Yes, and the Constitution places whom in the position of Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces?[/quote]

I think you missed the point. My loyalty is to the constitution and this country, not to any political biases that seem to plague the mentalities of most of the people in this country. Regardless of who is in charge, that is where the loyalty lies. If I am called to duty, I do what I have to do, but that doesn’t make me a mindless puppet. It is one reason I didn’t come in as enlisted.

Professor X = Bad mothertrucker.

Respect is due and given.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
If I am called to duty, I do what I have to do, but that doesn’t make me a mindless puppet. It is one reason I didn’t come in as enlisted.[/quote]

Bullshit. You didn’t join the military to become a free thinker - don’t delude yourself into thinking that, as an officer, you aren’t told where to shit - and when. You are just as ‘mindless’ as a buck private. Your opinion isn’t needed or wanted when it comes to fulfilling your commission.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Professor X wrote:
If I am called to duty, I do what I have to do, but that doesn’t make me a mindless puppet. It is one reason I didn’t come in as enlisted.

Bullshit. You didn’t join the military to become a free thinker - don’t delude yourself into thinking that, as an officer, you aren’t told where to shit - and when. You are just as ‘mindless’ as a buck private. Your opinion isn’t needed or wanted when it comes to fulfilling your commission. [/quote]

Who are you to tell me what my role is? I am a doctor. I make the final decisions on a regular basis. The military is not just what you see on television. The missions I have gone on in the past did not cross the Whitehouse desk. There are things that America does, positive things, that will never be seen on the nightly news and took every ounce of individual thought and planning to make it all work. Don’t tell me that I have no independant thought because I know what I do on a daily basis. I do the job that I went to school for. That is my position and that requires the mind that my life and that education cultivated.
You obviously received most of your military knowledge from MASH.

most of your military knowledge from MASH.
[/quote]

You’re the one that’s sounding a lot like ‘Hawkeye Pierce’.

The military has one objective: Kill prople and break things. Inside of that main objective are tons of support personnel, with their own inter-workings.

But you are saying because you are smart, you play by your own set of rules - that you are not bound by a chain of command? Bullshit again.

I think you missed the point. My loyalty is to the constitution and this country, not to any political biases that seem to plague the mentalities of most of the people in this country. Regardless of who is in charge, that is where the loyalty lies. If I am called to duty, I do what I have to do, but that doesn’t make me a mindless puppet. It is one reason I didn’t come in as enlisted.[/quote]

Fair enough. In the way you said what you did, I read you separating the President out of the duty to the Constitution, but if I was mistaken in that I apologize.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Professor X wrote:
If I am called to duty, I do what I have to do, but that doesn’t make me a mindless puppet. It is one reason I didn’t come in as enlisted.

Bullshit. You didn’t join the military to become a free thinker - don’t delude yourself into thinking that, as an officer, you aren’t told where to shit - and when. You are just as ‘mindless’ as a buck private. Your opinion isn’t needed or wanted when it comes to fulfilling your commission. [/quote]

Regarding my voluntary draft comment:
I brain farted. I know that you can enlist whenever you want. The point I’m making is that if there is a lack of troops, the president should hammer this point home like he does with other issues, ie social security.

rainjack, you offended professor X in a vile and disgusting manner. You should be ashamed of yourself and the least you could do is apologize. I hope those comments aren’t indicative of the mindset of ‘your people’.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Professor X wrote:
most of your military knowledge from MASH.

You’re the one that’s sounding a lot like ‘Hawkeye Pierce’.

The military has one objective: Kill prople and break things. Inside of that main objective are tons of support personnel, with their own inter-workings.

But you are saying because you are smart, you play by your own set of rules - that you are not bound by a chain of command? Bullshit again.

[/quote]

Haha, been playing too many video games, eh rainjack?

[quote]rainjack wrote:

[/quote]

The military does have the role of blowing shit up. They also have the role of HUMANITARIAN, which is one area you will see little publicity of. There are countries that receive aid from us that most people in the world have never even heard of. According to you, none of those efforts matter and the men and women who perform those tasks are lesser simply because you don’t see them on FOX news. I will pass the word along.

As far as your last comment, I do have a chain of command, however, there is no one standing over my back making my decisions for me. That is one area where you are sadly mistaken. I am a professional and I am respected as one. I am not sure why you think otherwise. When a patient comes to see me, it is simply me and my assistant. According to you, this is somehow not the case. I think you have your knowledge screwed the fuck up. In your previous statement, you essentially called every man and woman who is enlisted mindless zombies who simply carry out the will of President Bush. It shows that you have no real world military training or you would know otherwise. Micromanagement is a thing of the past. Why? It doesn’t work.

For the record, I never watched MASH. I would change the channel as soon as I heard that shitty theme song come on.

Doesn’t matter to me, I’m too old to be drafted.

ya’ll have gotten off topic.

If you haven’t read the original article I posted please do.

Currently the US has been forced to offer bonuses up to $150,000 for elite troops.

Enlistments are well below that needed for 2005.

Is it really realistic for the US to continue to honor its troop commitments without some form of the draft?

Prof X is correct!!!

[quote]rainjack wrote:

[/quote]
Rainjackass, have you worn the uniform? Then you shut the fuck up! Last I checked we have our freedoms here in the US because of men like ProfX, myself and those others who have served. Not whiny ass pencil necks such as yourself. If you haven’t put on the uniform and done your stint for God & Country then shut the fuck up because you don’t know what you’re talking.

I don’t want to see a draft because it will only fill up the service with the dregs of society. People like rainjack, who think they know everything about the military because they saw JAG or MASH or some other military TV show.

Will a draft occur? Strong possibility. They are offering the SpecOp warriors up to $130k to sign up for 6 years. There are talks to offer sign on bonuses to National Guard & Reserves…the writings on the wall. When the military starts throwing money it’s because they are losing people. These lost people have to come from somewhere…if a draft, these people will come from the poor…not a good situation to be in. A forced commission/enlistment does not bring out the best.

[quote]Soco wrote:
ya’ll have gotten off topic.

If you haven’t read the original article I posted please do.

Currently the US has been forced to offer bonuses up to $150,000 for elite troops.

Enlistments are well below that needed for 2005.

Is it really realistic for the US to continue to honor its troop commitments without some form of the draft?
[/quote]

Yes.

First, a draft won’t provide more elite troops. It will provide more raw recruits. If they want more elite troops, they have to train more elite troops – either that or get other allied countries to contribute their elite troops.

Second, they seemingly haven’t made a big recruitment push, which logically they would try before going to anything as drastic as a draft.

[quote]Croooz wrote:

Rainjackass, have you worn the uniform? Then you shut the fuck up! Last I checked we have our freedoms here in the US because of men like ProfX, myself and those others who have served. Not whiny ass pencil necks such as yourself. If you haven’t put on the uniform and done your stint for God & Country then shut the fuck up because you don’t know what you’re talking.

I don’t want to see a draft because it will only fill up the service with the dregs of society. People like rainjack, who think they know everything about the military because they saw JAG or MASH or some other military TV show.
[/quote]

Okay - you want name calling? Fine.

I served in the USAR from May 10, 1986 thru May 10, 1992. You want to see my 201 file you ignorant fuck? Do you even know what a 201 file is, pussy? Have you even stopped sucking your mama’s tit long enough to get a job? Then you shut the fuck up.

I think before you open your inbred fucking mouth, you need to pull the dumb-ass out of it first.

Anyhow -

What’s wrong with offering a premium for quality? They do it in the private sector all the time.

How much does it cost to train a S.F. or a SEAL? How much money is battlefield experience worth? WHy not pay for the experience with huge re-up bonuses to keep the experience where it is needed.

Rather than looking at it as the military running scared, I see it as a heck of a business move. One that would most likely save lives.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Anyhow -

What’s wrong with offering a premium for quality? They do it in the private sector all the time.

How much does it cost to train a S.F. or a SEAL? How much money is battlefield experience worth? WHy not pay for the experience with huge re-up bonuses to keep the experience where it is needed.

Rather than looking at it as the military running scared, I see it as a heck of a business move. One that would most likely save lives. [/quote]

I think the point croooz was trying to make is that the army doesn’t offer huge bonuses if they don’t have to. When huge checks start getting written you know there is a problem.

soco -

I’m just saying that there is a different point of view wrt the bonuses.

I think this is being politicized here on the boards, as well as in other arenas. The ABBer’s are circling like they do everytime even a hint of a bumpy road appears. In order to debate this subject honestly - that has to be considered, regardless of one’s leanings.

We are at war - the longest engagement since Viet Nam. Retention of quality personnel should be a major concern, especially when it comes to saving lives.

In peace-time, maybe retention wasn’t that big of a concern since we had the luxury of training new guys without risk of life.

[quote]Soco wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Anyhow -

Rather than looking at it as the military running scared, I see it as a heck of a business move. One that would most likely save lives.

I think the point croooz was trying to make is that the army doesn’t offer huge bonuses if they don’t have to. When huge checks start getting written you know there is a problem.
[/quote]

Exactly. Since when does the military pay for quality? They are running scared because the SpecOp guys with leadership & experience are jumping ship. When has the military ever offered this kind of money? It’s cheaper to keep them that’s for certain but since when does the military care about keeping people??? Since Iraq because the military isn’t able to replenish it’s stock. I’m a military contractor now and I see first hand how the money is being redirected to the warfighter. Too little too late. Give them what they need to fight but in the end what we need is more people on the ground. I’m against the war but we’re there and we need to continue to keep throwing more & more bodies at the Iraq problem till it goes away…500k American lives should do the trick. If we draft those who don’t go to college we can then have a nation of educated people running the country who will never again put us in this situation…(sarcasm all in these last 2 sentences)

Rainjackoff…did you post USAR??? hahahaha…please tell me that isn’t the reserves! You are so right…I don’t have a clue what you’re little army reserve form is. I was Navy for 10 years…while you were a weekend worrier. Wow! All that “experience” in the “trenches”…bwahahaha
I figured as much…now if you’d post USAR during the war that would be a different story but you went where during your stint. Bosnia, Kosovo, Saudi…I don’t think so.

Please stick to posting your amusing & ill informed rants on subjects you know nothing about. Reservist professing knowledge about the military…laughable.

[quote]Croooz wrote:
Rainjackoff…did you post USAR??? hahahaha…please tell me that isn’t the reserves! You are so right…I don’t have a clue what you’re little army reserve form is. I was Navy for 10 years…while you were a weekend worrier. Wow! All that “experience” in the “trenches”…bwahahaha
I figured as much…now if you’d post USAR during the war that would be a different story but you went where during your stint. Bosnia, Kosovo, Saudi…I don’t think so.

Please stick to posting your amusing & ill informed rants on subjects you know nothing about. Reservist professing knowledge about the military…laughable.[/quote]

So you are saying that military experience in the reserves is substandard? Not as good as yours?

You’ve just said more about your own pathetic existence than anyone else could ever add.