The Big 10 - The Bodybuilder Lifts

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
You have “much” different grips variations when ur doin pullups. How much weight do u gain in a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks? If ur gaining that much weight, i would think pullin your entire body up week after week increasin the weight would in fact be benificial? To the arms, lats, even siratus–> think thats close enough to the right spelling? Hell boss, u can even do weighted pulls.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.[/quote]
[/quote]

Brilliant. OBVIOUSLY you have variations of pull ups. You have variations every single damn exercise. But just doing another variation of a pull up doesn’t change the fact that your weight still fluctuates daily. I think that was the only point of your attempted sarcastic series of comments.

Waylander was quick to defend the pull up, and fair play. He has a SICK back! But he did say he was just experimenting with it.So I presume it has not been a staple of his workouts. I would be interested in hearing the exercises that GOT his back width to where it is.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Guy, no one misunderstood you. In fact, from what I can tell, most of us took it to the next step by pointing out to you that bodybuilding is not about trying to hit a specific PR. Shawn Ray had one of the most balanced physiques in bodybuilding history but he claimed he did most of his leg training without squatting over 2-3 plates a side. Will that work for most? Hell no. Should he have done differently? Maybe if you look better than he did.

We all may have personal goals in strength, but what use do you think concrete strength numbers have on bodybuilding as a whole?

Any competition trying to find out the strongest anyone is no longer just about bodybuilding. It now requires specific exercises to be done in a specific way and then judgment of execution of them. That is now POWERLIFTING.

No, you might not find Hammer Strength machines in a contest like that. But you sure as hell will find them in the arsenal of many of the guys coming in first in competitions for BODYBUILDING.[/quote]

X, Ive seen a lot of your postings, your signature (in my opinion) is just speaking off the brow from your experience and I do respect that very much,you do have wisdom, but even you have to admit that u saying no one MIS-understood me is a huge load of b.s. If i had been understood there would not have been comments such as; “lateral raises should not be forgotten…list should be ignored”, trying to limit all bodybuilding movements to 10 is retarded" and many others. [that, is the logic that proves the in-comprehensiveness]. If it were understood, Id see some PRs posted, not necessarily 1 rep maxes but records of lifts for X amount of reps, i would not be reading the type of postings that were left. You have been here for a lot longer than i have, but you do not have the power to enter the mind of our fellow here (neither do i, of course) so for this reason, that is why i called b.s on your statement.
I doubt any one took it to the “next step” for the rational reasoning i provided. Bodybuilding is an “idea in reality” it is what it is because the Weider’s(or whoever) made it that way. For that reason most people have the notion that bodybuilding is not about strength or any thing else but subjective presentation. What i have presented is a “theoretical alternate idea” for the strength aspect of bodybuilders. Do not forget this sport has a strong origin of “feats of strength”, it wasn’t always the way it is now.
By the mentioning of Shawn Ray using circa 300lbs squats, well this is a perfect example of a potential pr, numbers do not lie, if Shawn had a record high of 365lbs for 10 that, my friend IS a PR, whether Shawn knows this or not. This example is exactly what i was trying to get at when I mentioned that our PRs should not only be recorded as singles but rep. maxes. Another thing of the mentioning of Shawn Ray should not even be discussed for the fact that Steroid DO work, any bodybuilder of that caliber is a user.(not that I judge, I have friends who “use”) And for the fact that gear does work. their routines+genetics+the fact that bb’ing is their job ill probably steer clear of using his routine, The successful naturals i have seen in person + Layne Norton,Skip Lacour, Jim Cordova all train extremely Heavy and intensive. “Success leaves clues” everyone knows this, and the pattern I have seen with naturals should leave more of a “real world” standard to refer to over another athlete with supplemental synthetic hormones as an aid. I have seen a LOT of individuals who made prodigious gains despite training intensities and proper nutritional intake.
As for the question concerning concrete strength numbers in bodybuilding, well for a lot of people who have not trained for say 5-10 years, reaching a goal, breaking a record, addressing movements to help break ones own records are progressions. I have worked with person who thought he had a 90 lb incline bench max, after re-educating his form and safely testing a max set out of him he hit a 205lb max, at that point I told him to calculate his 60-85% max for a little while and then after only 4 weeks he hit 225 for a double, next we planned on a 12 rep max. (I personally do not mess with percentage training at all, I train very instinctively) but for a good majority, if works for years, so to answer your question, this type of scenario is what it does for a prospective bodybuilder, along with complimenting or replacing instincts that some have not acquired yet.[not that this has anything to do with my post though]
In response to the comment on powerlifting, well how is that true since powerlifting is a recognized sport that only includes the 3 lifts, that kind of reminds me of when i did power cleans at my gym for heavy triples and an NPC competitor asked me all these questions on my “powerlifting”. working on movements tactically for better performance is just that; “better performance” not powerlifting (the name is already taken by a sport with specific lifts). like i mentioned earlier of progressing and my original post of the “strength aspect of bodybuilding”. well i hope I cleared up some things, good chatting. gonna go listen to Beethoven’s Moon Light Sonata with my wife, keep the comments coming and lets try to restart this post CORRECTLY.

i misunderstood, i’ll admit :slight_smile:

My Records:

1. The Incline Barbell press - 260x4
  2. The Flat bench dumbbell Press - 130 lb dumbbells for 3 reps
  3. weighted pull-up - 25 lb plate attached with a chain for 6-8 reps at a bodyweight of 252
  4. Bent-over Barbell row - 250 for 4
  5. Overhead barbell press - 225 for 6
  6. weighted dip - 6 reps with 90 lbs attached at 252 lbs
  7. Squat (of course) - 405 for 1! YES :smiley:
  8. Dead-lift 502 lbs
  9. Barbell curl (we are bodybuilders right) 135 for 4
  10. skull crushers 130x 4

keep it goin

[quote]HypertroPHd wrote:
which i have promoted for years BTW
[/quote]

[quote]HypertroPHd wrote:I do have a reason for creating this article and I have personally hand picked these movements as the 10 lifts for a reason which I will elaborate on in future postings.

[/quote]

I think you need to get over yourself. I don’t give a shit about what you’ve “promoted”. Who the fuck are you?

The only information we will glean from this “article” (HAHAHA) is to have wall after wall of random (and probably mostly imaginary) numbers of '09ers who don’t even train.

We may indeed note a correlation between big dudes and big numbers (WOW), but most of us who have actually achieved anything worth achieving don’t tend to blather on about how much we can row or curl or whatever.

Waste of time brozilla.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

which i have promoted for years BTW
[/quote]

[quote]HypertroPHd wrote:I do have a reason for creating this article and I have personally hand picked these movements as the 10 lifts for a reason which I will elaborate on in future postings.

[/quote]

I think you need to get over yourself. I don’t give a shit about what you’ve “promoted”. Who the fuck are you?

Waste of time brozilla.[/quote]

Get over myself? You don’t even know the fuck I am. I am not someone ponders training over the internet, training (others and myself)is my fucking life and I am very passionate about it. I work for 2 reputable gyms and as track and field coach, In REALITY it pays the bills for me and my family. Everyone who I help in the past and who Ive helping in the future have a possibility of seeing these post I am on (because i have invited them) So in a sense i feel as if I am talking to them.

I could give a fuck about you. I am not much for internet gang banging like your projecting your self to be. and as far as imaginary numbers thrown around, I happen to think you would be the one lying about things, I mean look at your Avatar, you are claiming to be from the UK, yet your dialect is very non-foreigner, American hell who knows u might even be from from my home of Texas, The UK though, Doubt it, why lie. and BTW I got an idea, you don’t like the thread get the fuck off it,simple. this is for those who are serious, not for those who tough from the computer desk.

For those who ARE serious about training though, please keep the post up and ignore this vermin problem we have on this posting.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

1. The Incline Barbell press
                   2. The Flat bench dumbbell Press
                   3. weighted pull-up
                   4. Bent-over Barbell row 
                   5. Overhead barbell press
                   6. weighted dip
                   7. Squat (of course)
                   8. Dead-lift
                   9. Barbell curl (we are bodybuilders right)
                  10. skull crushers

[/quote]

Over half of the original list I cannot do anymore due to injuries.

Incline Bench- Out (5/06) dislocated clavicle
Weighted Dips- Same
Squats- Hip bursitis. Haven’t back squatted in years.
Barbell Curl- 2 stress fractures from straight bar curls (late 90’s)
skullcrushers- elbow tendonitis central (I won’t TOUCH the standard skullcrusher)
Bent Row- never got anything but sciatic nerve pain from Bent BB Row. DB rows work for me however
Flat DB Bench- I’ve never trained anywhere that had DBs anywhere CLOSE to heavy enough to train the flat DB bench…well, since I was a teenager. Sets of 20 don’t cut it.
[/quote]

Shit man, youd think a piano fell on ya or something, what do you do in replacement.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[/quote]

You broke your arm curling?

Jesus.

There any warning signs I can look out for?

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[/quote]

Jesus.

There any warning signs I can look out for?[/quote]

Yes- intense pain in the forearm and a cracking sound. On second thought…once you notice either of those, its too late. [/quote]

lol, dude between the hemorrhoid thread and now this I’m running out of shit to do in the gym without fear my ass is gonna explode or my hands will rip clean off my body.

Donkey calf raise!!!

beef

when I will finish my PHD I will rename to jasminphd or jasminmd so everyone can see how good I am
seriously what the fuck

dude, Hypertrophd is a good guy, this thread isn’t a way of life or a dig at anyone.

He asked for your numbers on the lifts he posted, i don’t see the problem.

I jus read all the previous post, everyone else was talking about variation, it’s alot to read, i usually scan things. Sorry for sounding sarcastic. I guess i can come off like that. Didn’t check any pics, gonna have to check that dude out. Like to joke around too. But the fact that u dont like pullups and would rather do pulldowns confuses me, i have not checked your profile, so don’t be like well i only weigh 180, that’s too much weight or something. Add them to your resume and i guareentue u will add a nice amount of weight Quickly

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
You have “much” different grips variations when ur doin pullups. How much weight do u gain in a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks? If ur gaining that much weight, i would think pullin your entire body up week after week increasin the weight would in fact be benificial? To the arms, lats, even siratus–> think thats close enough to the right spelling? Hell boss, u can even do weighted pulls.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.[/quote]
[/quote]

Brilliant. OBVIOUSLY you have variations of pull ups. You have variations every single damn exercise. But just doing another variation of a pull up doesn’t change the fact that your weight still fluctuates daily. I think that was the only point of your attempted sarcastic series of comments.

Waylander was quick to defend the pull up, and fair play. He has a SICK back! But he did say he was just experimenting with it.So I presume it has not been a staple of his workouts. I would be interested in hearing the exercises that GOT his back width to where it is.[/quote]

haha, keep a look out for that crackling sound in your forearm everyone

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[/quote]

Jesus.

There any warning signs I can look out for?[/quote]

Yes- intense pain in the forearm and a cracking sound. On second thought…once you notice either of those, its too late. [/quote]

jasmincar has the best aviator,? every. The chick deadliftin. Amazing