The Big 10 - The Bodybuilder Lifts

1. Any Bench Variation with DB’s (incline high n low, decline)
  2. Back squats
  3. Deadlifts
  4. Hack Squat (machine)
  5. Donkey Calf Raise
  6. Seated Calf Raise
  7. Flyes
  8. Any Isolation Curl
  9. Weighted Pull ups
  10. Straight arm lat pulldowns
  11. YTM Cable Rear delt flyes
  12. Upright Rows
  13. Military Press or BB shoulder Press
  14. Hamstring Curls
  15. Hammer Curls

MOST of the people who gave up chins only considered giving them up when they reached 240+ pounds!

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.[/quote]

I don’t see the problem. I aim to do 4x15 of widegrip pullups at the beginning of every back workout, I don’t care what the weight is. If I can’t hit my reps, I’ll keep the weight the same until I do. If I hit them all, I will add weight. It’s just like progressing on any other exercise.[/quote]

Ah

What other exercises do you do for back width then?
Also, how long have you been doing the wide grip pullups?
[/quote]

Thats my main width movement for the time being. I decided to experiment and focus on wide grip pullups and neutral chins for about 8 weeks and see what happens. Obviously I still do BB rows and what not though.

whats up everyone, good answers so far but no one has named any PRs (personal records on their big 10 and variations of course). I think ill start and really get this thread going good.
1.incline barbell press-385x2 (belt less,wrist wraps)
2.flat dumbbell bench-pair of 140s X 4
3. weighted pull up @BW 244 + 90lbs X 5
4. bent over barbell rows 365 X 8 (lifting straps)
5. seated overhead barbell press 225 x 6
6. weighted dip bw 239lbs + 130 lbs (on cable resisted dip platform)
7. squat (bodybuilder narrow stance,high bar, raw)455 X 8, powerlifter style (belt only, low bar, wide stance) 505 x 2
8. deadlift 630 x 1 (belt, straps)
9. barbell curl 180 x 2 (full ROM, light body english, strict eccentric, wrist wraps)
10. Skull krushers 140 x 6
Now i do not know who keeps up with pro bodybuilders, I do to an extent. A while back Jonny Jackson and Ben White had settled a dispute between seeing who the worlds strongest bodybuilder is. In the end Stan Efferding pretty much let it be known that he was, because the fact that he has the highest raw powerlifting
total of 2221. There is no doubt that he is the strongest right now, but the thought occurred to me that powerlifting is not bodybuilding perse, and for that reason, I don’t think the strongest BODYBUILDER should be judged by POWERLIFTING standards.
In my vision I think that in order to find out who is the strongest bodybuilder, the athletes should compete by using BODYBUILDER lifts. (The list I strategically named) I could not really come to think of any other lifts that had the perfect balance of truly representing a bodybuilder and being basic enough to be able to strengthen significantly over time. If bodybuilders were to compete in an actual test for being the strongest, these are the lifts that i think would represent us well.
I hope this gives a bit more insight to my thread, please keep the comments coming but lets see some personal records you have done on the lifts(or their variants)

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
Just wondering why you consider Pull Ups, I presume for back width a better choice than say lat pulldowns or rack chins.

IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.

I agree with pretty much all your choices, though only if the word “variation” was used after them.

For example, I don’t perform a standard shoulder press. WHat most people would consider first as the overhead press. Instead I stick the Behind the Neck Presses, still an overhead press but one that will get overshadowed when only the words “overhead barbell press” are used.

ALl in all, good choices. Though hopefully everyhere is peforming 8 out of 10 of those in there own workouts.[/quote]

The reason i chose weighted pull ups was not necessarily for bodybuilder training but for a bodybuilder strength competition (check out my previous post). but on a side note I completely agree with you when you say there are too many variables in the pull up for bodybuilding (I personally used a full day of all pull downs and pull up variations to bring up my back width when i first started out, it worked extremely well, and i still train like this occasionally, but check at my post and it will make more sense as to why the pull up was named)

PS. variations are completely acceptable for training purposes, I actually recommend variations for prevention of “over adaptation”.

[quote]Seize wrote:
We already have a thread like this…

I believe the only similarity is the number 10, It might be my fault as to why it seemed similar, I wrote this while being miserably tired and probably failed to add the details of the true substance of my thread) check out my newest post and hopefully it will shed some light on the uniqueness of my thread.
PS-post up some PRs

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
We have like 10 of these threads, but why 8 upper body exercises, one half ass leg exercise the deadlift, great exercise but doesn’t effectively hit the legs if you want to look like Coleman and only one true leg exercise the squat? The biggest muscle
in your body only needs one exercise or there is only one good exercise for it? Wordddd[/quote]

You didn’t get the thread, check out my previous post though and you will see, that mine is not on the same page as any other.
If I were to only be talking about TRAINING than yeah your right, I would name an infinite amount of exercises and their variants including a plethora of isolation and even less basic movements. My thread is aimed as a theoretical strength competition for bodybuilding. power lifters pride themselves of their totals, I think we should pride our selves on some of “our lifts” (Big 10 bodybuilder lifts) records and use as a tool to further progress in our strength and training.

I really do not understand the point of this thread. 10 is not enough. Where are lateral raises? IMO you cannot be a bodybuilder without lateral raises, or calf raises, or rear delt raises, or in fact a whole plethora of movements. Any list is going to end up being completely redundant and a waste of time.

The only purpose it might serve is to guide newbies towards what sort of lifts they should be doing (at very least), although most newbs will take this too literally and need to wait for a definitive list before they attend their gym again.

Clownface - if that is you in your avatar, you need to stop giving out advice. NOW.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
I really do not understand the point of this thread. 10 is not enough. Where are lateral raises? IMO you cannot be a bodybuilder without lateral raises, or calf raises, or rear delt raises, or in fact a whole plethora of movements. Any list is going to end up being completely redundant and a waste of time.

The only purpose it might serve is to guide newbies towards what sort of lifts they should be doing (at very least), although most newbs will take this too literally and need to wait for a definitive list before they attend their gym again.

Clownface - if that is you in your avatar, you need to stop giving out advice. NOW.
[/quote]

Reason and logic.

Lateral raises should never be forgotten so any list someone tries to create without it should be ignored.

I currently do just about all of my chest training on Hammer Strength machines. This list is apparently unaware of progression. But hey, if everyone else here is making even more progress, please show it.

Trying to limit all of bodybuilding to only 10 movements is retarded. The goal is growth as well as strength. You do what you have to in order to keep seeing progress whether it shows up on a list or not.

In the past year and a half alone, I’ve put significant size on my arms, shoulders, and chest without full-time BB benching (flat or incline). I’ve done it with HS machines and DBs. I really just started benching comfortably this year after finally dealing with a rotator cuff issue.

Ditto for back. OP listed BB rows-- I just can’t do bent BB rows because of discomfort and have built my back thickness overwhelmingly from DB rows (just did 150x30 a couple weeks ago, yes I have video for form, not that it’s a great achievement by anyone’s standard).

On a similar note, a guy at my gym has quads that dwarf mine (I have 28-29" quads) and I squat-- he says he hasn’t squatted in a decade and squats were never the major leg builder for him when he did.

DB lat raises (+db forward raises +db rear delt etct) are a staple of mine for sure, as well as the dreaded Smith Machine for seated MP’s. Because of my ‘thick’ torso (some would call it fat…), I conciously work extra on my back and shoulders to make them bigger (and include lat raise variations like cable and machines). It happens that that I often get (good) comments on my back and shoulders these days, especially the people who haven’t seen me in a year or two.

Go figure.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

On a similar note, a guy at my gym has quads that dwarf mine (I have 28-29" quads) and I squat-- he says he hasn’t squatted in a decade and squats were never the major leg builder for him when he did.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had people on this site make an issue of me not squatting with a barbell…but my quads measure 31" right now and I don’t see too many passing me up in terms of overall size in that area. Mind you, legs aren’t even a strong point for me.

I mostly do leg presses, extensions, curls and that squat machine with the back pad like a hack squat.

I may eventually go back to barbell squats, but they sure as hell aren’t the only way to build legs up.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, I had people on this site make an issue of me not squatting with a barbell…but my quads measure 31" right now and I don’t see too many passing me up in terms of overall size in that area. Mind you, legs aren’t even a strong point for me.

I mostly do leg presses, extensions, curls and that squat machine with the back pad like a hack squat.

I may eventually go back to barbell squats, but they sure as hell aren’t the only way to build legs up.[/quote]

Exactly my point as to why the list is flawed, plus you guys and Dave summed it up better than me and the list is too individualistic for it to be worth anything to me as mine would be worth anything to you.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

[/quote]

Reason and logic.

Lateral raises should never be forgotten so any list someone tries to create without it should be ignored.

I currently do just about all of my chest training on Hammer Strength machines. This list is apparently unaware of progression. But hey, if everyone else here is making even more progress, please show it.

Trying to limit all of bodybuilding to only 10 movements is retarded. The goal is growth as well as strength. You do what you have to in order to keep seeing progress whether it shows up on a list or not.[/quote]

who said this was a list of ONLY exercises you should do, did you even read the closely, on that note did you even read my second post, this is not a post about THE ONLY 10 lifts bodybuilders and aspiring bodybuilders should do. I personally have an infinite amount of training variations I do. If I wanted to be a dick and throw around the word “retarded” I could easily do so on post like these that did dot understand meaning, I beckon to think that they did not even read the thread and their eyes went straight to the list and they made assumptions.
Maybe I did not make the thread informative enough, if not, read my 2nd post and THEN by all means post. this is more of a post to see some PRs for what I think are body buildings most COMPETITIVE lifts.theoretically in another place in time, If there were to be a competition on deciding the STRONGEST BODYBUILDER, I hardly think id see 50 tons worth of hammer strength equipment and other various machines of our nature.
all this being said; please read my 2nd post and possibly RE-read my 1st.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

I may eventually go back to barbell squats, but they sure as hell aren’t the only way to build legs up.[/quote]

Exactly my point as to why the list is flawed, plus you guys and Dave summed it up better than me and the list is too individualistic for it to be worth anything to me as mine would be worth anything to you. [/quote]

Did you even read my response to your post, the list is, by no means “flawed”, you just did not grasp the concept, read my response to your comment and 2nd posting, hopefully it will make some damn sense. thread is not how you’ve perceived it.

In before Prof X comes back to explain how he understood PERFECTLY, he was just trying to make sure newbies wouldn’t read the list and think these were the ONLY exercises to do. lol

Buy hey HypertroPHD, next time you might want to make it clear what the thread is going to be about in the opening post.

As for a bodybuilding strength competition, I think it’s an interesting idea. It might make people more aware of the fact that bodybuilding isn’t simply a bunch of guys oiling up and posing.

Are you some kind of a prophet?

[quote]HypertroPHd wrote:

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

[/quote]

Reason and logic.

Trying to limit all of bodybuilding to only 10 movements is retarded. The goal is growth as well as strength. You do what you have to in order to keep seeing progress whether it shows up on a list or not.[/quote]

who said this was a list of ONLY exercises you should do, did you even read the closely, on that note did you even read my second post, this is not a post about THE ONLY 10 lifts bodybuilders and aspiring bodybuilders should do. I personally have an infinite amount of training variations I do. If I wanted to be a dick and throw around the word “retarded” I could easily do so on post like these that did dot understand meaning, I beckon to think that they did not even read the thread and their eyes went straight to the list and they made assumptions.
Maybe I did not make the thread informative enough, if not, read my 2nd post and THEN by all means post. this is more of a post to see some PRs for what I think are body buildings most COMPETITIVE lifts.theoretically in another place in time, If there were to be a competition on deciding the STRONGEST BODYBUILDER, I hardly think id see 50 tons worth of hammer strength equipment and other various machines of our nature.
all this being said; please read my 2nd post and possibly RE-read my 1st. [/quote]

Guy, no one misunderstood you. In fact, from what I can tell, most of us took it to the next step by pointing out to you that bodybuilding is not about trying to hit a specific PR. Shawn Ray had one of the most balanced physiques in bodybuilding history but he claimed he did most of his leg training without squatting over 2-3 plates a side. Will that work for most? Hell no. Should he have done differently? Maybe if you look better than he did.

We all may have personal goals in strength, but what use do you think concrete strength numbers have on bodybuilding as a whole?

Any competition trying to find out the strongest anyone is no longer just about bodybuilding. It now requires specific exercises to be done in a specific way and then judgment of execution of them. That is now POWERLIFTING.

No, you might not find Hammer Strength machines in a contest like that. But you sure as hell will find them in the arsenal of many of the guys coming in first in competitions for BODYBUILDING.

You have “much” different grips variations when ur doin pullups. How much weight do u gain in a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks? If ur gaining that much weight, i would think pullin your entire body up week after week increasin the weight would in fact be benificial? To the arms, lats, even siratus–> think thats close enough to the right spelling? Hell boss, u can even do weighted pulls.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.[/quote]

Kudos. might as well start talking about muscle fibers and king TUT

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Carnage wrote:
Are you some kind of a prophet?[/quote]

Yes