T Nation

The Big 10 - The Bodybuilder Lifts

Everyone probably knows that every strength sport has its mandatory lifts. To name a few Powerlifting has the big three that include a one rep max on the deadlift, squat and bench press. If we move on to the Olympic lifts in which anyone who spectates this sport would know it consists of the big two: the Snatch and Clean and Jerk, hell even Strongmen are known for a multitude of similar lifts every time (stone lifting, wheeled vehicle pulls, heavy carries, and even squat and deadlift variations).

  well, wheres bodybuilding in all of this? what are our lifts? I know we have to have a better reputation than hammer strength lifts curling variants. for every sport aforementioned, we bodybuilders can easily carve ourselves out from the same type of movements all strength athletes use (which i have promoted for years BTW). 

   Although by doing so, I do not think this would capture the essence of TRUE bodybuilding, The hardcore bodybuilder, the artist of its "self flesh". The most successful bodybuilders I have ever created or read on has attributed most of their success to heavy compound lifts that allowed them to strongly connect to their bodies, (usually also accompanied by isolation movements which is another story)

    When mentioning the bodybuilder lifts,I must first describe that all muscle groups should be addressed and The lifts should be adjusted to meet ones unique physiology. 

    in addition I would recommend the bragging right of "max lifts" to be accompanied by number of reps. naming a new 1 rep max is great, it will lead to strong POTENTIAL in getting bigger, but as a bodybuilding coach I also would like to see people tracking the best 2,3,4,5 or whatever rep max. Extremely HEAVY weight with relatively high reps (i.e 5-12+ reps) is a recipe i have long noticed to be the fore-front of every physique athletes success.

      If everyone wants to know the lifts i believe to be the bread and butter of a great bodybuilder, I would definitely list the big 10 as: 
                   1. The Incline Barbell press
                   2. The Flat bench dumbbell Press
                   3. weighted pull-up
                   4. Bent-over Barbell row 
                   5. Overhead barbell press
                   6. weighted dip
                   7. Squat (of course)
                   8. Dead-lift
                   9. Barbell curl (we are bodybuilders right)
                  10. skull crushers

Nothing revolutionary here but by knowing these are the tools of choice by the most prominent of our breed, its a good list of the “Must dos” to add to any ones training arsenal.

     I do have a reason for creating this article and I have personally hand picked these movements as the 10 lifts for a reason which I will elaborate on in future postings. 

     for the time being,what I would like everyone to do is name some of their greatest records recorded for their "Big 10"  If you got up a pair of 150 lb dumbbells for 4 reps or a max single of 600 on the deadlift just let us know.   

any questions on the writing or my training philosophy just post away.

Just wondering why you consider Pull Ups, I presume for back width a better choice than say lat pulldowns or rack chins.

IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.

I agree with pretty much all your choices, though only if the word “variation” was used after them.

For example, I don’t perform a standard shoulder press. WHat most people would consider first as the overhead press. Instead I stick the Behind the Neck Presses, still an overhead press but one that will get overshadowed when only the words “overhead barbell press” are used.

ALl in all, good choices. Though hopefully everyhere is peforming 8 out of 10 of those in there own workouts.

  1. incline bench
  2. T-bar row
  3. ez-bar curl
  4. tricep pushdown
  5. behind the back shrug
  6. neck curl and reverse neck curl
  7. straight leg calf raises

excellent. Though I believe that was what he wanted to say anyway.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
I agree with pretty much all your choices, though only if the word “variation” was used after them.
[/quote]

edit:

  1. The Incline bench
  2. The Flat bench/dumbbell Press
  3. weighted pull-up/wide
  4. Bent-over Barbell row/underhand grip
  5. Overhead barbell press
  6. weighted dip
  7. Squat (of course)
  8. Dead-lift/with calf raise at top
  9. Barbell curl (we are bodybuilders right)
  10. skull crushers

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
excellent. Though I believe that was what he wanted to say anyway.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
I agree with pretty much all your choices, though only if the word “variation” was used after them.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, it’s tough to know. Personally for me those EXACT choices aren’t always the ones I find best for myself, but as you’ve said, if you’re considering variations of them to fit within those categories then it’s a brilliant list.

For example, taking #1, would you consider the incline barbell press an entirely different exercise than the incline barbell press? What about an incline guillotine press? More or less the same movements with slightly different positioning and ROM, but I would prefer the ones I mentioned to the traditional incline BB press.

I’m also not sure for me personally the BB row is the best… I prefer machine rows, cable rows, one arm T-bar rows, etc.

Same with barbell curls and skullcrushers. Straight bar curls kill my wrists, but give me an EZ bar and I’m loving it. Skullcrushers I would prefer to replace with overhead extensions, so does that count?

Squats and deadlifts - very general, which is good, if you include all the variations then you’re gold. I don’t do conventional squats and deads but I do do reclined smith squats with heels on plates, single legged squats, sumo deadlifts, snatch grip deads off blocks, stiff legged deads, etc.

Presumably if you’re measuring strength though (albeit strength for reps) then you need a standard way of performing each exercise.

We already have a thread like this…

We have like 10 of these threads, but why 8 upper body exercises, one half ass leg exercise the deadlift, great exercise but doesn’t effectively hit the legs if you want to look like Coleman and only one true leg exercise the squat? The biggest muscle
in your body only needs one exercise or there is only one good exercise for it? Wordddd

Legs:

Squat
Front Squat
Walking Lunge
Leg Press
Kneeling Leg Curl
SLDL
Leg Extension
Calve Raise variations

Do these and youll build legs that are worth a fuck

I don’t use any of those lifts currently. Not one.

Guess I’m not a TRUUUUEEEEE and HARDCOARZ bodybuilder!

EDIT: Shucks. Suppose I do do #2. I guess I’m 10% hardcore.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I don’t use any of those lifts currently. Not one.

Guess I’m not a TRUUUUEEEEE and HARDCOARZ bodybuilder!

EDIT: Shucks. Suppose I do do #2. I guess I’m 10% hardcore.[/quote]

LOL.

I’m with you… the only exercise I do that I saw on that list is skullcrushers… from a dead stop behind the head though.

Current exercise list:

Incline DB
Flat DB
Pulldowns
Rack Pulls
Shrugs
Front Squat
Leg Press
DB SDL
Donkey Calf Raise
Standing Abs
Pin Press
DB OHP
DB Lateral Raise
Dead Stop Extensions
Alt. Offset Curls
Reverse EZ Curls

[quote]Mike T. wrote:

  1. Dead-lift/with calf raise at top

[/quote]

Seriously dude? No offense man but that is lame. No one deadlifting a decent amount of weight is doing these.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[quote]Mike T. wrote:

  1. Dead-lift/with calf raise at top

[/quote]

Seriously dude? No offense man but that is lame. No one deadlifting a decent amount of weight is doing these.
[/quote]

I was tryin to throw calfs in there, it wasn’t anything for them. Figured someone would critique it. Jus like there arn’t enough leg exercises. Toss in some bulgarians, beastly leg move. Sue me bitches

Edit: Never once did a deadlift with a calf raise, few shrugs. Do the other moves though, 100 %

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:
I don’t use any of those lifts currently. Not one.

Guess I’m not a TRUUUUEEEEE and HARDCOARZ bodybuilder!

EDIT: Shucks. Suppose I do do #2. I guess I’m 10% hardcore.[/quote]

LOL.

I’m with you… the only exercise I do that I saw on that list is skullcrushers… from a dead stop behind the head though.

Current exercise list:

Incline DB
Flat DB
Pulldowns
Rack Pulls
Shrugs
Front Squat
Leg Press
DB SDL
Donkey Calf Raise
Standing Abs
Pin Press
DB OHP
DB Lateral Raise
Dead Stop Extensions
Alt. Offset Curls
Reverse EZ Curls
[/quote]

LOL… I didn’t even want to open this can of worms. Here’s all my exercises…

HS Iso Incline
Flat DB Press
HS Curls
Single Arm Reverse Cable Curls
HS Dip Machine
One-Arm Tricep Extensions (on a machine, bahahaha.)

HS Power Squat
HS Leg Press
HS Leg Extension
HS Seated Leg Curls
HS Standing Calf Raises
HS Ab Machine

HS Behind-the-Neck Press
HS Front Delt Press
T-Bar Rows
HS Low-Row
Rack Chins
HS Shrugs

…and thus I open the floodgates!

cleans

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:
I don’t use any of those lifts currently. Not one.

Guess I’m not a TRUUUUEEEEE and HARDCOARZ bodybuilder!

EDIT: Shucks. Suppose I do do #2. I guess I’m 10% hardcore.[/quote]

LOL.

I’m with you… the only exercise I do that I saw on that list is skullcrushers… from a dead stop behind the head though.

Current exercise list:

Incline DB
Flat DB
Pulldowns
Rack Pulls
Shrugs
Front Squat
Leg Press
DB SDL
Donkey Calf Raise
Standing Abs
Pin Press
DB OHP
DB Lateral Raise
Dead Stop Extensions
Alt. Offset Curls
Reverse EZ Curls
[/quote]

LOL… I didn’t even want to open this can of worms. Here’s all my exercises…

HS Iso Incline
Flat DB Press
HS Curls
Single Arm Reverse Cable Curls
HS Dip Machine
One-Arm Tricep Extensions (on a machine, bahahaha.)

HS Power Squat
HS Leg Press
HS Leg Extension
HS Seated Leg Curls
HS Standing Calf Raises
HS Ab Machine

HS Behind-the-Neck Press
HS Front Delt Press
T-Bar Rows
HS Low-Row
Rack Chins
HS Shrugs

…and thus I open the floodgates![/quote]

I envy you your access to Hammer Strength machines. I might not have gone with THAT many HS exercises, but I’m sure I’d use a few.

“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.[/quote]

I don’t see the problem. I aim to do 4x15 of widegrip pullups at the beginning of every back workout, I don’t care what the weight is. If I can’t hit my reps, I’ll keep the weight the same until I do. If I hit them all, I will add weight. It’s just like progressing on any other exercise.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“IMO if ur bodybuilding and trying to gain weight pullups offer to much variables to display consistent progress.”

What the hell does this mean?[/quote]

Apart from the fact I should have used “many” instead of “much”, I will digress.

For a bodybuilder pullups are not the best option of back width.

It is pretty much like trying to get bigger biceps by curling a weight that constantly changes weight from day to day, hour to hour.

You could have got the same reps but lifted a heavier weight.

You could have lost reps but lifted a much heavier weight.

You could have gained reps but lifted a lower weight.

For a bodybuilder that weight is constantly going up. Though not linearly,and depending on when you workout in the day that ould be 7-10 lbs of weight fluctuation through the day. Your own weight with pullups will always be a factor, no matter wether you add 50lbs to your back or not.

You can obviously see why I don’t really like it and prefer other options for someone trying to gain weight.

The only real way I suppose you could solve the problem would be to weight yourself before you do them and then calculate the weight. But thats too much maths for me. I’d prefer to just use Lat Pulldowns.[/quote]

I don’t see the problem. I aim to do 4x15 of widegrip pullups at the beginning of every back workout, I don’t care what the weight is. If I can’t hit my reps, I’ll keep the weight the same until I do. If I hit them all, I will add weight. It’s just like progressing on any other exercise.[/quote]

Ah

What other exercises do you do for back width then?
Also, how long have you been doing the wide grip pullups?