Tapouts Rule, Knockouts Drool

You can tell be the title the author was going tongue in cheek to get a response, but for such a short article I thought there were some points made

isportstimes.com/articles/10564/20140207/ufc-mma-submissions-knockouts-striking.htm

Old argument to be sure, but I hadn’t considered this spin before.

They just let anybody write about fighting these days huh?

I didn’t read the article but a nice submission is a thing of beauty as is a well timed KO punch or kick. If we are talking about “real” fighting then there is no tapping out so if you break someone’s leg or arm you better be prepared for a lawsuit. With a KO strike you at least can claim that you were only fighting back and the KO was just something that can happen under those circumstances even if you have little or no training (or claim that). If you slap a heel hook on someone and literally leave him crippled it seems like a much more deliberate act.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

Sure, I think it’s a quota thing, lol.
But I had to admit I thought it made sense, at least a little–submission is forcing another fighter to ask you to stop hurting him, it’s a mental, conscious choice.

Knockouts? They happen. Sometimes they even happen by the wildest, ugliest, luckiest hay makers. (though sometimes they happen because of high level precision punch placement, to be fair).

But tapping is still a choice, it’s still asking for mercy which is a much different sort of loss than fighting your heart out and then zigging once when you should have zagged.

I doubt any striker is going to be nodding along B-) but you can see the A to B to C chain of logic. Being a bad ass striker is a bad ass thing, it just seems the defeats are different.

i read that article, well some of it, it was terrible, i agree with the guy that said they let anyone write about fighting these days lol seriously that article should not of been published!

ive just started mma but am coming from a competitive muay thai background so i guess my opinion might be bias lol i got my first submission the other day in training which was awesome! i remember one of my old muay thai trainers said when u have 2 trained fighters in the ring theres no such thing as luck. id have to agree with him!

The exact same thing can be said about the cage and its only emphasised more in the ufc as these guys are the best, there pro fighters, most have been doing martial arts there whole lives, both fighters are trained to strike and defend so if one strikes and the other doesnt defend himself properly or whatever and gets knocked out, that isnt luck its the perfect combination of power and skill!

[quote]mmaguy88 wrote:
i read that article, well some of it, it was terrible, i agree with the guy that said they let anyone write about fighting these days lol seriously that article should not of been published!

ive just started mma but am coming from a competitive muay thai background so i guess my opinion might be bias lol i got my first submission the other day in training which was awesome! i remember one of my old muay thai trainers said when u have 2 trained fighters in the ring theres no such thing as luck. id have to agree with him!

The exact same thing can be said about the cage and its only emphasised more in the ufc as these guys are the best, there pro fighters, most have been doing martial arts there whole lives, both fighters are trained to strike and defend so if one strikes and the other doesnt defend himself properly or whatever and gets knocked out, that isnt luck its the perfect combination of power and skill! [/quote]

We’re probably just arguing over semantics, but if two guys just start brawling (ala Dan Henderson or Forrest Griffin) and connect with a punch I wouldn’t really consider that a perfect combination of skill and power. I agree with you that the term “lucky punch” probably isn’t really accurate either though as such punches are due to the opponent making a judgement, timing, and/or positional error which results in them getting KO’d; not “luck”.

A truly lucky punch would be if the opponent were to slip (on some sweat or blood on the mat) into an oncoming punch and get KO’d. In other words, it was truly dumb luck and due to factors beyond their control that resulted in them getting KO’d. In real fights that’s a very real possibility, but under the controlled conditions of a sport fight it’s extremely rare.

BTW, I didn’t read the article, but both types of finished are equally impressive and valuable IMO.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

Such a poorly written article. It made me a little angry.