Taking It Personally

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
I find it extremely offensive when people who you have invited over as guests to eat free food and drink free alcohol complain about what they are being served. “I don’t like turkey” “what no pasta?”…I just want to tell them what my parents would tell me when i was like 7 “If you don’t want to eat what we’re having then you don’t have to eat” jeez…and if you don’t like turkey, then just keep drinking the wine and beer until you do like turkey…[/quote]
lol

[quote]sen say wrote:
How do you handle it when someone doesn’t like something you’ve bought and they tell you this directly.

Here’s some examples:

1. Wine. I bought some red wine. Nothing fabulous. Ten dollars a bottle roughly. I had guests that said it was too fruity and declined to finish their glasses. Like I said it wasn’t phenomenal wine, but it was red wine which is what they asked for and it wasn’t bad.

2. Crabs. Brought home two and a half dozen Extra Large crabs. They didn’t look like XL crabs when I bought them, but I’d driven to the restaurant 15 miles away and was looking to buy the biggest crabs I could and these were them and the price wasn’t bad. Had a guest over and she couldn’t stfu about how they were’t XL crabs. Kept saying they tasted good, but NO WAY were they XL.

3)Cheese, booze, other similar items. Same scenarios as above.

Basically,

1. How do you handle it when someone doesn’t like something to eat or drink that you have bought?

2. How do you handle it when it’s the same person 52 weeks a year putting down what you’ve bought to eat and drink and it’s your mother in law?

Thanks.

[/quote]
Whenever people whine about food someone in my family usually yells out then don’t eat it and everyone laughs and goes on with life.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:
How do you handle it when someone doesn’t like something you’ve bought and they tell you this directly.

Here’s some examples:

1. Wine. I bought some red wine. Nothing fabulous. Ten dollars a bottle roughly. I had guests that said it was too fruity and declined to finish their glasses. Like I said it wasn’t phenomenal wine, but it was red wine which is what they asked for and it wasn’t bad.

2. Crabs. Brought home two and a half dozen Extra Large crabs. They didn’t look like XL crabs when I bought them, but I’d driven to the restaurant 15 miles away and was looking to buy the biggest crabs I could and these were them and the price wasn’t bad. Had a guest over and she couldn’t stfu about how they were’t XL crabs. Kept saying they tasted good, but NO WAY were they XL.

Basically,

1. How do you handle it when someone doesn’t like something to eat or drink that you have bought?

2. How do you handle it when it’s the same person 52 weeks a year putting down what you’ve bought to eat and drink and it’s your mother in law?

Thanks.

[/quote]
Whenever people whine about food someone in my family usually yells out then don’t eat it and everyone laughs and goes on with life.[/quote]

sounds like my family

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I didn’t like the comments I was getting from my in-laws about my cooking so the last time I had them over I took 4 inch thick t-bones fresh from the butcher shop, rubbed in some salt, pepper, a little cardamom, a dash of cayenne with EVO, then incinerated them on the grill. Then I chowed down and watched them gnaw in discomfort.

Later on for desert I let my dog loose on them.
[/quote]

The in-laws or the T-bones?

Hey Roy, going to bump the movies thread, was wondering something

Every time your mother-in-law complains about the food, just blare George Michael’s “Careless Whisper” at full blast so it drowns out her objections, make a double chin, smile, and gently rub your nipple with the hand of the same side (left to left, right to right). If she’s not immediately silenced, put on Cream by Prince. If she’s still not willing to back down after that, home her.

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

Here’s some examples:

Basically,

Thanks.

[/quote]
Whenever people whine about food someone in my family usually yells out then don’t eat it and everyone laughs and goes on with life.[/quote]

sounds like my family[/quote]
sounds like me

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

Here’s some examples:

Basically,

Thanks.

[/quote]

sounds like my family[/quote]
sounds like me[/quote]

^
this too

People that even start judging wine are not the kind of people I want to try to please anyway.

I’m not necessarily speaking about your family, I’m thinking about the people I know.

Give her food poisoning once in awhile.

Also Rationing access to the grand kids is always a classic.

Also Rationing access to the grand kids is always a classic.

If she doesn’t like the wine, give her gin instead. Old people love gin.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:
2) How do you handle it when it’s the same person 52 weeks a year putting down what you’ve bought to eat and drink and it’s your mother in law?

[/quote]

Quietly remind her it’s you who will be picking her retirement home and making sure the nurses are changing her piss-covered sheets. So she might want to stock up some good will now. I did this with my current mother-in-law. Shut her the fuck up over a Passover meal.

Or, you can do what I did to my first set of in-laws, in particular my father in-law (who are my good friends now, mainly because they had one child, my first wife, who died and they want to be around her four daughters). He was constantly condescending, and essentially making fun of me for being Israeli and markedly older (almost 20 years) than his daughter. I took him outside drinking beer (obviously not Passover) and told him in no uncertain terms that if he said one more shitty thing, I would beat the fuck out of him.

They are in your house. They give respect, or they go.

If your wife doesn’t back you up on this, you have a problem.[/quote]

Wait a minute Jewbe, just how old are you? I had you figured for about my age, late 40’s, but if you were 20 years older than your 1st wife and your 4 daughters are grown, you are likely at least 60. Just how much older than wife #2 are you?

Wow, if these people you are saying are ‘friends’ they wouldn’t be my friends anymore at least.
If it’s some odd dinner-with-the-boss then just suck it I guess.

I grew up in a family and neighborhood where you don’t complain about gifts given, so if someone gives you a free meal you don’t complain about it.

“Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”

If someone always complains, why would they keep coming back?
If someone always complains, why invite them back?

I think you should recognize that you’re both going to miss her when she’s gone and ignore it all with calm and happy hearts, but if you feel you have to react I would suggest offering her cheese toast for any food she complains about (“Would you like me to make you some cheese toast?”) or water if it’s drink she’s on about (“Here, let me get you a glass of water!”).

[quote]Cprimero wrote:

Also Rationing access to the grand kids is always a classic.[/quote]

^this is a brilliant idea (especially the grandkids part)

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:
2) How do you handle it when it’s the same person 52 weeks a year putting down what you’ve bought to eat and drink and it’s your mother in law?

[/quote]

Quietly remind her it’s you who will be picking her retirement home and making sure the nurses are changing her piss-covered sheets. So she might want to stock up some good will now. I did this with my current mother-in-law. Shut her the fuck up over a Passover meal.

Or, you can do what I did to my first set of in-laws, in particular my father in-law (who are my good friends now, mainly because they had one child, my first wife, who died and they want to be around her four daughters). He was constantly condescending, and essentially making fun of me for being Israeli and markedly older (almost 20 years) than his daughter. I took him outside drinking beer (obviously not Passover) and told him in no uncertain terms that if he said one more shitty thing, I would beat the fuck out of him.

They are in your house. They give respect, or they go.

If your wife doesn’t back you up on this, you have a problem.[/quote]

Wait a minute Jewbe, just how old are you? I had you figured for about my age, late 40’s, but if you were 20 years older than your 1st wife and your 4 daughters are grown, you are likely at least 60. Just how much older than wife #2 are you?[/quote]

As noted 2 posts down from the original, I reversed the in-laws. Hence the time warp.

I tried to fix it immediately, but for whatever reason, when I try to edit anything here, it doesn’t stay edited.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
As noted 2 posts down from the original, I reversed the in-laws. Hence the time warp.

I tried to fix it immediately, but for whatever reason, when I try to edit anything here, it doesn’t stay edited.[/quote]

WTF are you trying to say you old addled bastard?

you left out the most important part of this conversation…

does she take it in the ass?

srsly -