Taking It Personally

1. You don’t get much wine for $10 a bottle. Since you are dealing with classless boors, get a few pints of Night Train or Wild Irish Rose when thjey come over again.

2. Crabs are crabs, especially when they aren’t paying for them. Too bad for you that you didn’t take a closer look at the inlaws before you married the daughter. Guess whose side the wife is going to take. I’d personally save one of those crabs for a few days out in the hot sun, then feed it to the MIL… food poisoning, always something to bitch-worthy about.

My inlaws were tolerable, barely. MY MIL passed away in 2011, but she was decent and kept her trap shut. My FIL, what a hores’s ass. This guy is 85 and yaps all the time, one of those touch holes who loves to hear himself talk. Small wonder his grandkids do an exit-stage-right when he shows up.

Rob

My in-laws are great, so I can’t really relate.

But it’s tough to give advice without knowing your wife’s thoughts on the matter.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
My in-laws are great, so I can’t really relate.

But it’s tough to give advice without knowing your wife’s thoughts on the matter.[/quote]

Same here on the ‘in laws’. I cant do anything wrong. If i buy cheap wine, it is the best wine they have ever had. When I cook, they tell me a need a show on Food Network.

Curious to here the OP’s response on how the wifey views this.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:
2) How do you handle it when it’s the same person 52 weeks a year putting down what you’ve bought to eat and drink and it’s your mother in law?
[/quote]

Serve her cheap shit because she will complain anyway?

Here, some Dr Peppers and skittles.

Bitch.

You might want to calibrate that approach somewhat. [/quote]

gotta go even cheaper and get the walmart brand generic skittles, and dr thunder from walmarts little vending machines

I think I may be getting in trouble at work after spending this much time googling “Nick the Dick” and, unfortunately, this was the best video I could find :frowning:

The…ahem…meat of the scene begins at around 3 minutes.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Curious to here the OP’s response on how the wifey views this. [/quote]

She knows it’s wrong. MIL has stormed out of our house in the past though when we’ve called her on it, so me and She Say just kinda deal with it once a week…some weeks are worse than others as in yesterday…she can go a few weeks being good, but she’s a 72 year old widowed pain in the neck know it all.

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:
I think I may be getting in trouble at work after spending this much time googling “Nick the Dick” and, unfortunately, this was the best video I could find :frowning:

The…ahem…meat of the scene begins at around 3 minutes.

http://vimeo.com/26861233[/quote]
Op should do that.

Hit her or PIIHB. Seriously though, some bitches would complain if you smacked her with a freshly washed hand.

Or make some soup and jerk one off in it

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

She knows it’s wrong. MIL has stormed out of our house in the past though when we’ve called her on it, so me and She Say just kinda deal with it once a week…some weeks are worse than others as in yesterday…she can go a few weeks being good, but she’s a 72 year old widowed pain in the neck know it all.[/quote]

Honestly, and this is the easier said than done, but she’s 72 years old, probably lonely as hell and doesn’t have a whole lot to live for at this point other than voicing her opinion, I’d just take it on the chin on a weekly basis and stop trying so hard to please her. Sure, she might get worse, but at least you’re not putting out the effort.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
This guy is 85 and yaps all the time, one of those touch holes who loves to hear himself talk.

Rob[/quote]

LOL at ‘touch hole’ but what’s a touch hole? Is he a fidgety arse picker?

Here’s my tuppence…

Get your wife to make ‘something’ for the meal but you do the rest so when your MIL chows down like the skesi she is, the cunt will assume you did it all! Then when the witch starts whining about it, smugly point out that her darling daughter slaved over that item of food that you happen to looove btw and how rude it is to point this out while putting your arm around the wife in comfort and mutual defiance. Watch her choke on her cud…

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

She knows it’s wrong. MIL has stormed out of our house in the past though when we’ve called her on it, so me and She Say just kinda deal with it once a week…some weeks are worse than others as in yesterday…she can go a few weeks being good, but she’s a 72 year old widowed pain in the neck know it all.[/quote]

Bummer. Maybe start adding arsinic to her portion?

Next time say I figured you would not like whatever I got so I got what I could afford to get, or I got what I like so at least one of us is happy. I would be passive aggressive just to the point.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Honestly, and this is the easier said than done, but she’s 72 years old, probably lonely as hell and doesn’t have a whole lot to live for at this point other than voicing her opinion, I’d just take it on the chin on a weekly basis and stop trying so hard to please her. Sure, she might get worse, but at least you’re not putting out the effort. [/quote]

Yeah…there was some big dood on here a few years ago that i think got thrown in jail in england for mailing steeroids around the world and he was bitching about his MIL and I got all holy righteous on him and said to suck it up…this was back when my MIL was pretty cool…so like 7 years ago…anyway, wtf was I talking about?

Oh yeah…ths is spot on and the tactic we take.

[quote]sen say wrote:
How do you handle it when someone doesn’t like something you’ve bought and they tell you this directly.

Here’s some examples:

1. Wine. I bought some red wine. Nothing fabulous. Ten dollars a bottle roughly. I had guests that said it was too fruity and declined to finish their glasses. Like I said it wasn’t phenomenal wine, but it was red wine which is what they asked for and it wasn’t bad.

2. Crabs. Brought home two and a half dozen Extra Large crabs. They didn’t look like XL crabs when I bought them, but I’d driven to the restaurant 15 miles away and was looking to buy the biggest crabs I could and these were them and the price wasn’t bad. Had a guest over and she couldn’t stfu about how they were’t XL crabs. Kept saying they tasted good, but NO WAY were they XL.

3)Cheese, booze, other similar items. Same scenarios as above.

Basically,

1. How do you handle it when someone doesn’t like something to eat or drink that you have bought?

2. How do you handle it when it’s the same person 52 weeks a year putting down what you’ve bought to eat and drink and it’s your mother in law?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Hard question. In general for #1 I just make a witty biting comment or a throwaway comment and go on my way. Don’t like it? More for me. OR they should have been more specific in their wants. I’m no mind reader so I need it put in plain english. Or the ever present: “Welp, your loss”, one of my favs. etc. etc. Don’t care, although it can get frustrating a little but again–more for me. :slight_smile:

#2 is a much harder thing. No easy way to deal with it. At some point I would have to have a sit down talk and put things in stone but I would try to get along as much as I could. I think this is probably colored by my life situation at the moment, as my BS meter is at “give zero Fucks about anything ever” so I tend to bite more quickly now. If I were in a different spot I’d probably have much better advice for you lol.

[quote]Stern wrote:
Who the fuck goes over to someone’s house and complains about free food and drink Oo

[/quote]

That’s pretty much my assessment. They get the “fuck you” speech right away if that happens and told they can leave. I’ve spent too much of my life dealing with, as some other poster here put it, “classless boars” to deal with them in my house. Between umpiring for half my life and working busy ass bars for years (no longer of course), I don’t give a flying fuck.

Thank you bartending and bouncing lol. First rule: if they’re assholes, kick them the hell out because they’re not tipping anyway and there is literally a line at the door. I believe in picking my acquaintances carefully: I am not perfect but I try to be very polite and grateful when I am a guest and I expect the same. If it doesn’t happen, they can get fucked and I’ll delete their phone number. In a rare, rare case I’ll even flat out tell them that.

Different if it’s in-laws…that’s harder and you can’t pick your relatives, in-law or otherwise. That’s rough.

At some point I would still have to say talk directly and politely (but business like polite, not super nice please polite) to her about it, but again you need to know your wife’s feelings first before that. Still, she needs to know you don’t appreciate it some way I think. I would never do it while you are angry though, that’s always a recipe for disaster unless you don’t care about the fucks like I said above :P.

Unfortunately you have to care about in-laws.

EDIT–missed the 72 year old part. That makes it a lot harder because she is probably lonely as hell, as has been mentioned. You’re doing the best you can, and that’s important. She’s been called on it already I guess, you can either routinely call her on it or deal. No easy way out.

Well I bought a car.

My friend didn’t even look at it.

Said he doesn’t like that make.

We aren’t friends any more.

I find it extremely offensive when people who you have invited over as guests to eat free food and drink free alcohol complain about what they are being served. “I don’t like turkey” “what no pasta?”…I just want to tell them what my parents would tell me when i was like 7 “If you don’t want to eat what we’re having then you don’t have to eat” jeez…and if you don’t like turkey, then just keep drinking the wine and beer until you do like turkey…

[quote]Stern wrote:
Who the fuck goes over to someone’s house and complains about free food and drink Oo

[/quote]
a basic bitch

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Stern wrote:

[/quote]
a basic bitch[/quote]

AMEN to that shit