Tactics versus Monsters

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Yeah, seriously though, why are you approaching this situation from an international Judo competition rules standpoint? The guy is twice your weight; when would you ever have to match with him under international Judo rules?
[/quote]

Cause I figure the best way to learn and become better is to fight guys way out of my class. I tend to rag doll most people heavier than me, let alone my weight class. Who doesn’t get excited at the prospect of fighting beasts? [/quote]
Then it seems you already know how to deal with bigger guys. [/quote]
So it’s a question of dealing with guys who are better in which case it’s a question of dealing with losing.

Me: very athletic 5 foot 5, 150 lbs man with a few months of Judo under his belt.
Opponent: 5 foot 11, 300 lbs national judo champ with decades of experience.

This motherfucker is impossible to move. I feel like the only way I could take him down is with illegal moves : double/singles and kata guruma.

I guess you can call this a twist on the 150 lbs karate female versus 220 lbs 6’3 gym rat.

[/quote]

i’m gonna recommend the crane kick. if that doesn’t work, try drum technique.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Yeah, seriously though, why are you approaching this situation from an international Judo competition rules standpoint? The guy is twice your weight; when would you ever have to match with him under international Judo rules?
[/quote]

Cause I figure the best way to learn and become better is to fight guys way out of my class. I tend to rag doll most people heavier than me, let alone my weight class. Who doesn’t get excited at the prospect of fighting beasts? [/quote]
Then it seems you already know how to deal with bigger guys. [/quote]
So it’s a question of dealing with guys who are better in which case it’s a question of dealing with losing. [/quote]

Better AND bigger, so yeah, he should go into his Randori sessions simply hoping to learn as much as he can, not trying to “win”.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
So it’s a question of dealing with guys who are better in which case it’s a question of dealing with losing. [/quote]

No, it’s a question of lasting as long as possible. This is a guy who poses a REAL challenge. If you last several minutes against him with being thrown, it’s an accomplishment. It’s not about a mental lesson, it’s about learning to hold your ground against the odds. Kind of like a Sparta vs. Persia standoff: you can’t win but you can make him work hard.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

No, it’s a question of lasting as long as possible. This is a guy who poses a REAL challenge. If you last several minutes against him with being thrown, it’s an accomplishment. It’s not about a mental lesson, it’s about learning to hold your ground against the odds. Kind of like a Sparta vs. Persia standoff: you can’t win but you can make him work hard.[/quote]
I don’t know if that is what the OP was talking about. It seemed like he wants to win.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

No, it’s a question of lasting as long as possible. This is a guy who poses a REAL challenge. If you last several minutes against him with being thrown, it’s an accomplishment. It’s not about a mental lesson, it’s about learning to hold your ground against the odds. Kind of like a Sparta vs. Persia standoff: you can’t win but you can make him work hard.[/quote]
I don’t know if that is what the OP was talking about. It seemed like he wants to win. [/quote]

And we’ve told him it can’t be done.

My goal is to crush this motherfucker. Possible or not, doesn’t matter. If he wants to crush me, he needs to work for it. So basically what nighthawkz said.

My goal is to crush this motherfucker. Possible or not, doesn’t matter. If he wants to crush me, he needs to work for it. So basically what nighthawkz said.[/quote]
So you want to win but want to just survive at the same time? You need to choose. Trying to win opens yourself up to losing more than trying to not lose.

Winning is easy, on paper. You need to be better than he is.

God bless Jellyroll

Drop Seio Nage ( hoping for north south ) was my first thought.

Then I thought about a few other things, but I realize you won’t have the dirty bag of tricks that I might have
Not yet,
So it’s a great option
I would make this a hand fight war and I would also keep tugging tugging tugging his cuff to pull him into me and annoy him
It’s irritating

really be humble about this, be open eyes and see what you can learn from him too

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
God bless Jellyroll

Drop Seio Nage ( hoping for north south ) was my first thought.

Then I thought about a few other things, but I realize you won’t have the dirty bag of tricks that I might have
Not yet,
So it’s a great option
I would make this a hand fight war and I would also keep tugging tugging tugging his cuff to pull him into me and annoy him
It’s irritating

really be humble about this, be open eyes and see what you can learn from him too

[/quote]

Tell me about these dirty tricks.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

So you want to win but want to just survive at the same time? You need to choose. Trying to win opens yourself up to losing more than trying to not lose.

Winning is easy, on paper. You need to be better than he is. [/quote]

I want to win, but for now all I can do is survive.

Lol… this thread remembered me about a MMA fight that is going to go down soon here at Brazil

http://www.tatame.com.br/media/2013/06/1006182_534873476573722_212442508_n1.jpg

The “monster” is a Jiu Jitsu purple belt and a Judo Black-belt, I expect slaughtering by side control after a takedown.

That’s a different kind of monster. That guy weighs 500 lbs wtf. When is that fight gonna take place? I’d like to watch it.

ediut: nm, should have read it. Says 10th of August.

when it goes down i’ll remember to post to this thread.

Get a video of it, if you can. Thanks.

Me: very athletic 5 foot 5, 150 lbs man with a few months of Judo under his belt.

This motherfucker is impossible to move. I feel like the only way I could take him down is with illegal moves : double/singles and kata guruma.

I guess you can call this a twist on the 150 lbs karate female versus 220 lbs 6’3 gym rat.

[/quote]

Leg grabs (ashi dori) should be legal depending on your rules. Sutemi waza (slam into him, grab some handle and fall) are your best takedown options. BE SURE you do not do any technique that will put you underneath him, so tomoe nage would be a bad choice since he’ll squish you if it goes south. Yoko garuma, yoko wakare, uchi mata + roll and tani otoshi are all good options. Drop ippon is iffy (squish factor) though a drop kata garuma can work. Might get some ideas from this (I akshully do jujutsu mostly):

Standing waki gatame might work if they allow it under your rules. I heard they dropped it since too many people got broken wrists.

The reason that there are carefully controlled weight classes is that size matters.

Problem with sport rules is that, yeah, you might never win in certain situations. Them’s the breaks. The aim of sporting rules is parity, i.e., make the players as equal as possible so that skill is the deciding factor. Once there is a large imbalance that no longer works. Remember Toshihiko Koga? Great small judo player. They paired him against a much larger judoka and he tried everything in the book (including that famous ippon) to no avail. Big dude basically picked him up and dropped him after a while and Koga couldn’t do much about it. Food for thought.

Just being full of shit as always…

– jj

[quote]jj-dude wrote:

[/quote]

Leg grabs (ashi dori) should be legal depending on your rules. Sutemi waza (slam into him, grab some handle and fall) are your best takedown options. BE SURE you do not do any technique that will put you underneath him, so tomoe nage would be a bad choice since he’ll squish you if it goes south. Yoko garuma, yoko wakare, uchi mata + roll and tani otoshi are all good options. Drop ippon is iffy (squish factor) though a drop kata garuma can work. Might get some ideas from this (I akshully do jujutsu mostly):

Standing waki gatame might work if they allow it under your rules. I heard they dropped it since too many people got broken wrists.

The reason that there are carefully controlled weight classes is that size matters.

Problem with sport rules is that, yeah, you might never win in certain situations. Them’s the breaks. The aim of sporting rules is parity, i.e., make the players as equal as possible so that skill is the deciding factor. Once there is a large imbalance that no longer works. Remember Toshihiko Koga? Great small judo player. They paired him against a much larger judoka and he tried everything in the book (including that famous ippon) to no avail. Big dude basically picked him up and dropped him after a while and Koga couldn’t do much about it. Food for thought.

Just being full of shit as always…

– jj[/quote]

Nah, makes sense. I’ll keep trying though.