T Nation

Tactics versus Monsters

Me: very athletic 5 foot 5, 150 lbs man with a few months of Judo under his belt.
Opponent: 5 foot 11, 300 lbs national judo champ with decades of experience.

This motherfucker is impossible to move. I feel like the only way I could take him down is with illegal moves : double/singles and kata guruma.

I guess you can call this a twist on the 150 lbs karate female versus 220 lbs 6’3 gym rat.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Me: very athletic 5 foot 5, 150 lbs man with a few months of Judo under his belt.
Opponent: 5 foot 11, 300 lbs national judo champ with decades of experience.

This motherfucker is impossible to move. I feel like the only way I could take him down is with illegal moves : double/singles and kata guruma.

I guess you can call this a twist on the 150 lbs karate female versus 220 lbs 6’3 gym rat.

[/quote]

If this is happening under judo competition rules, since you mention banned moves, than there is unlikely to be any winning tactics.

Someone with serious size AND technique AND experience advantage just has too many ANDS.

Look at it this way, if you could get it done what would that say about what it takes to be a national champ?

Judo competition is well out of my lane, but I am thinking two things. Either figure out the best position to try your best move from and go after it like no other, or just try to stall his attempts.

In judo I sort of translate that to grip fight like there is no tomorrow. Even if you have to spend minutes just playing paddy cake that is better than taking the big ride. Decide right now that he will work for it.

Tactics: Learn. You have nothing to lose and no ego. He SHOULD toss you. So anything positive is awesome. Resolve to make him work for it, than ask him for advice after. I have personally learned a lot from being an ernest and cheerful tackle dummy for better martial artists. Than when you face someone else closer to your size and experience you have your way with them.

Really though this needs to be a jellyroll and kmcnyc question.

Regards,

Robert A

Go train BJJ.

Wait for him out in the parking lot with a tire iron.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Wait for him out in the parking lot with a tire iron.[/quote]

Haha!

Yeah, seriously though, why are you approaching this situation from an international Judo competition rules standpoint? The guy is twice your weight; when would you ever have to match with him under international Judo rules?

You actually do have an advantage in that your hips are most likely naturally below his, which is going to make certain techniques easier for you to get on him. But judging by the fact that he is a champion, my guess is that he has already figured out what moves work well for him as well as how to defend against your go to techniques. You are going to have to really bring up your timing and counter Judo skills if you want to have any success against someone with such a huge size and skill advantage.

Or, you could just look at your time playing Randori with him as Ukemi practice and “worst case scenario” training. In other words, after working with him, everyone else should feel relatively easy.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Yeah, seriously though, why are you approaching this situation from an international Judo competition rules standpoint? The guy is twice your weight; when would you ever have to match with him under international Judo rules?
[/quote]

Cause I figure the best way to learn and become better is to fight guys way out of my class. I tend to rag doll most people heavier than me, let alone my weight class. Who doesn’t get excited at the prospect of fighting beasts?

You need to spar guys better than you, and learn from the experience, that much is true. You always want to be the better fighter though when it comes to competition time. Not really clear whether you’re talking about training or fighting. If training, go for it, make sure he doesn’t hurt you and do your best. Set a basic goal, like stay on your feet for 1 minute, and try to hit it. Work from there.

If you’re planning on judo fighting him for realz, don’t, he’ll kill you.

Drop seoi nage. Set it up with defensive grip fighting, wear him down. You want to bait him so he’s tired and moving towards you.

For some grip-fighting ideas, watch video of Koga competing in the open class at the All-Japans.

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Drop seoi nage. Set it up with defensive grip fighting, wear him down. You want to bait him so he’s tired and moving towards you.

For some grip-fighting ideas, watch video of Koga competing in the open class at the All-Japans.

[/quote]

I really hate drop seoi nage. I find it to be a whimpy move. You got anything else?

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Drop seoi nage. Set it up with defensive grip fighting, wear him down. You want to bait him so he’s tired and moving towards you.

For some grip-fighting ideas, watch video of Koga competing in the open class at the All-Japans.

[/quote]

I don’t suppose your screen name is an homage to the late great Ferdinand Morton?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Yeah, seriously though, why are you approaching this situation from an international Judo competition rules standpoint? The guy is twice your weight; when would you ever have to match with him under international Judo rules?
[/quote]

Cause I figure the best way to learn and become better is to fight guys way out of my class. I tend to rag doll most people heavier than me, let alone my weight class. Who doesn’t get excited at the prospect of fighting beasts? [/quote]
Then it seems you already know how to deal with bigger guys.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Drop seoi nage. Set it up with defensive grip fighting, wear him down. You want to bait him so he’s tired and moving towards you.

For some grip-fighting ideas, watch video of Koga competing in the open class at the All-Japans.

[/quote]

I really hate drop seoi nage. I find it to be a whimpy move. You got anything else?[/quote]

What do you mean by wimpy? I thought you were looking for effective tactics vs a much bigger opponent.

You can’t hip toss the cake and eat it, too.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Drop seoi nage. Set it up with defensive grip fighting, wear him down. You want to bait him so he’s tired and moving towards you.

For some grip-fighting ideas, watch video of Koga competing in the open class at the All-Japans.

[/quote]

I really hate drop seoi nage. I find it to be a whimpy move. You got anything else?[/quote]

What do you mean by wimpy? I thought you were looking for effective tactics vs a much bigger opponent. [/quote]

The fact that most people that do it tend to immediately turtle after…has left a bad taste in my mouth.

If they are unsuccessful, then sure I could see them turtling. But if they are successful with the takedown then I don’t see why someone would turtle. If you were really worried about getting your back taken you could try an “arm spin” instead (very similar takedown but with more rotation and therefore not as much danger of exposing your back).

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Drop seoi nage. Set it up with defensive grip fighting, wear him down. You want to bait him so he’s tired and moving towards you.

For some grip-fighting ideas, watch video of Koga competing in the open class at the All-Japans.

[/quote]

I really hate drop seoi nage. I find it to be a whimpy move. You got anything else?[/quote]

What do you mean by wimpy? I thought you were looking for effective tactics vs a much bigger opponent. [/quote]

The fact that most people that do it tend to immediately turtle after…has left a bad taste in my mouth.[/quote]

If done correctly, you can transition directly into north/south taking his arm with you.

I’ve used this against several 300+ grapplers, and finished it with an arm-bar.

Generally, “monsters” are obese and rely on their immovable bodyweight moreso than technique. And they aren’t used to being thrown. Just watch out for their sweeps as that seems to be their bread-and-butter. Use your speed and fully commit to the technique.

If it doesn’t work out as planned, you’ll be right by his feet, so grab a leg and stand up with it. Don’t turtle.


That’s what other people are doing.
Some people like cucumbers pickled.
Just don’t turtle.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

The fact that most people that do it tend to immediately turtle after…has left a bad taste in my mouth.[/quote]

Alright, thanks, guys.

Well, if he has decades experience and he is physically well functioning, you shouldn’t stand a chance even if he was smaller than you…

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Me: very athletic 5 foot 5, 150 lbs man with a few months of Judo under his belt.
Opponent: 5 foot 11, 300 lbs national judo champ with decades of experience.

This motherfucker is impossible to move. I feel like the only way I could take him down is with illegal moves : double/singles and kata guruma.

I guess you can call this a twist on the 150 lbs karate female versus 220 lbs 6’3 gym rat.

[/quote]

Without a weapon, you’re fucked.

Say you’re sorry and go home.