Survivalist Gear

Pictured is a nice, little scandi bushcraft in Finnish style with ebony and silver handle.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Attached photo is a Woodlore Bushcraft knife with custom Cape Buffalo Horn handles.

[quote] Varquanir wrote:

Indeed. You suffer from a condition called hoplophobia, which is the irrational and morbid fear of inanimate objects, particularly weapons. It has been said that a fear of weapons hints at retarded sexual maturity, but I wouldn’t let it worry you. As long as you recognise your phobia as resulting from a form of conditioning, there is every hope that you will eventually recover.

[/quote]

I know this wasn’t directed at me but for the record I have not posted anything I would consider a “weapon”. Unless you would call a fishing hook a weapon. Granted the Cold Steel Spetznas entrenching shovel has the duel purpose of being a formidable close quarters dispute resoluter.

Here in Australia fear of “weapons” is widespread and in their wisdom the federal government outlawed “double edged knives” - as we all know, it’s much more dangerous to have your throat slit by a double edged knife. Seriously though, the Fairbairne-Sykes fighting knife design is a pretty deadly weapon. They have “blood groves” to reduce the suction when you’re pulling it out of your victim. Then there’s those nasty little double edged palm knives they call “push daggers” - I’ve read they’re popular with some special forces because they’re so small, light and deadly. And of course the Fairbairne-Sykes was modelled upon the Italian Renaissance stiletto - the famous assassin’s spike. They were a favourite of Italian nobility so there are many highly elaborate, bejewelled versions around. Take a google if you’re interested. And of course, the Fairbairne-Sykes was influenced by the Scottish Dirk - another assassin’s spike of the nobility.

And let’s not forget the Sicilian fighting knives. Sicilian nobles and commoners carried knives for self defence and duelling knives for centuries. There’s too many types to go into.

However, I’m not interested in fighting knives. My interest is bushcraft and particularly the Scandinavian utility knives - knives that serve every purpose for survival and hunting. Sheffield in England and Solingen in Germany have always been renowned for their knife making but the Scandinavians and Finnish in particular developed knives that actually withstood the harshest conditions and had to perform reliably and be easy to sharpen in the field. That’s why the bushcraft community in Europe used the Scandi grind and high carbon steel. Instead of the traditional reindeer horn or stag the bushcraft knives are usually hardwood - although I’ve got a little ivory one pictures above and I’ve heard of giraffe horn and many exotic materials. Mylar is becoming popular too but I like natural materials.

As I said, in North America the Spyderco Bushcraft(G10) knife is the best freely available but it’s minimum $160

And there’s a cheaper option. The Condor Bushlore is a really good quality knife that you can pick up for as low as $35

Plenty of small knife makers in North America that are good. There’s a Canadian company that makes really good skinning knives amongst other things. I can’t think of the name of it now though. But for proper Bushcraft knife in North America the Spyderco is the way to go. Unless of course, you want to shell out $200+ for a US made L T Wright Genesis:

https://www.ltwrightknives.com/the-genesis.html

The L T Wright Genesis is the best US made bushcraft knife in my opinion. It doesn’t compare to the best European made ones though.
[/quote]

Thanks SM, now I gotta scrape up money to buy that knife![/quote]

There’s some things you need to know before you get a scandi knife. Most sharpening equipment will ruin a scandi bevel. You need a flat grinding/sharpening/polishing surface. They usually come out of the box razor sharp and maintain their edge well with just stropping. If you need to sharpen use a flat surface and start with a fine grit. Grind the entire scandi bevel evenly. It’s a single bevel going right to the edge. Equal on the other side to fold the “burr” over. Then progressively fine grit grades then a final polish.

Scandis are actually the easiest of all grinds but you can duck up the bevel. It’s best to start out with a couple of cheap scandis like the “Mora” survival knife and the Condor I mentioned before at $35. Not the same quality but the best option if you want to learn to sharpen and maintain scandi blades. As high carbon steel can be prone to rust you should oil your tools regularly. There’s many different oils but I prefer Camellia oil.

The Spyderco is really top quality hence the price. I got my SWC bushcraft knife years ago before Ray Mears’ show popularised them and literally quadrupled the price. The new ones are £395:

A world class bushcraft knife but not as good as the first generation in my opinion. The new ones have an oak handle. I love oak and it’s an ancient wood that can live well over 600 years. But it’s too light in colour for a knife handle. I like darker, aged hardwoods. Mahagony and ebony look good as do dark woods with the natural grain visible. Micarta is extremely popular now but I don’t like it. Each to his own.

This is a really cool thread. What do you guys think of folding saws? I have two - both the same design - which were recommended by Ray Mears (although unlike the bushcraft knife, were very inexpensive). I’ve never been on a real expedition, but they have been great on camping trips and long hikes - really effective for making a shelter. Besides them I just have stuff already mentioned in this thread (torch, slingshot and various knives etc). I also have a lot of heavy duty water bottles and keep a 5L container of drinking water in my car (unconventional for the west coast of Scotland lol).

Realistically though, I think the most important survivalist gear I own is my copy of the SAS Survival Handbook and my 40kg kettlebell, because the only things you are guaranteed to have with you in a survival situation are your body and your wits.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
And slingshots are great for small game. And you don’t need to bother carrying lots of shot; just collect a few round pebbles as you go.[/quote]

The Karen tribesmen I trekked with are absolutely deadly with their little Huck Finn slingshots. They could pick off birds and squirrels and jungle rats with unsettling ease. River pebbles constituted the mainstay of their ammunition, but I discovered a tree with bitter, inedible fruit whose seeds were semi-spherical, hard and heavy. Perfect practice ammo. I got so that I could regularly hit small targets at ten paces with these, although I wouldn’t trust them for reliable killing shots.

What excites me is a recent modification to the old wrist rocket-type slingshots that allows you to shoot full-size arrows with longbow accuracy and velocity. Imagine bringing down deer and boar with a slingshot! I am going to experiment with this over the winter and take one to Thailand with me next year.[/quote]

My father grew up in Germany during WW2. He provided food for the family with a slingshot, getting rabbits, pigeons, and sparrows. I watched him drop a rabbit on the run with one when I was in High School.

Great thread

SM, u mentioned the leather man multi knife, any particular brands that are good quality or particular models that you particulary like.

Thanks.

My favorite piece of survivalist gear is my Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe, hand-forged in Sweden. For a North Woods dweller like me, it is equally important as a good knife for backwoods excursions on foot or ATV.

It is large enough to do serious work, even splitting or felling in a pinch, light and small enough to pack, and the workmanship is first-rate. It definitely punches above its weight class. I’m not sure you could buy a better axe.

The image is not of mine, as I’m not about to dig it out of the camping bin, but mine came out-of-the box looking exactly like this.

Cool website too, with an axe for every purpose both practical and pleasurable.

Hey Varqanir. I have a serious question to ask you.

Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?
Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin
Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?

Do you ever feel already buried deep six feet under?
Screams but no one seems to hear a thing
Do you know that there’s still a chance for you
'Cause there’s a spark in you?

'Cause, baby, you’re a firework
Come on, show 'em what you’re worth
Make 'em go, “Aah, aah, aah”
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Shamelessly stolen from The Interview

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]A-rod wrote:
Did suffer a traumatic violent assault or something? Why so many weapons? [/quote]

The shotgun and the handgun Beth keeps do not constitute “many” weapons. I stayed with friends in Idaho who had (if I had to come up with a number) over thirty firearms throughout the house, including ten military rifles, among them a .50 calibre sniper rifle. That is what “many” weapons looks like.

I am going to go out on a limb and surmise that you don’t have many friends who are former police, hunters, or military combat veterans.

No more dangerous than to keep cars in your garage with gasoline in their fuel tanks. The cars won’t start up and drive off without your permission, neither will the guns fire without you telling them to.

Do these people view armed policemen and soldiers with the same horror and disgust? Why not?

Indeed. You suffer from a condition called hoplophobia, which is the irrational and morbid fear of inanimate objects, particularly weapons. It has been said that a fear of weapons hints at retarded sexual maturity, but I wouldn’t let it worry you. As long as you recognise your phobia as resulting from a form of conditioning, there is every hope that you will eventually recover.[/quote]

Also no survival kit is complete without a serious flashlight.

Hey A-Rod:

If that’s what you consider a serious question, I would hate to see what you consider a frivolous question.

Cool flashlights, though.

I’m a big fan of 511 Tactical. I’m wearing a pair of olive drab TDU pants and a black duty jacket from them as I type this.

The TDUs were great in the jungle. They have a pocket on the knees for removable kneepads, which you appreciate more than you can imagine when kneeling on rocky or mushy terrain. And the TacLite shorts were absolutely perfect for the hot tropical afternoons.

[quote]furo wrote:
This is a really cool thread. What do you guys think of folding saws?

[/quote]

I use them a lot. At least I did before January this year when I had an accident. Anyway, I’ve used a range of different saws and it really depends on what you should take on any particular expedition. I’ve been using the “Sven Saw” a lot because it’s a tried and tested design - it comes in different lengths. I’ve got the 21 inch. It has an aluminium frame and is very light but careful how you pack it if you want to minimise noise. Make sure it doesn’t rattle against other stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Sven-Saw-Original-21-Folding/dp/B00BI66XPQ

Edit: Oh, and the Sven Saw is good because it can take different types of saw blade like standard bow saws(for green wood or hard wood etc) and you can carry a spare blade in the frame.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
My favorite piece of survivalist gear is my Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe, hand-forged in Sweden. For a North Woods dweller like me, it is equally important as a good knife for backwoods excursions on foot or ATV.

It is large enough to do serious work, even splitting or felling in a pinch, light and small enough to pack, and the workmanship is first-rate. It definitely punches above its weight class. I’m not sure you could buy a better axe.

The image is not of mine, as I’m not about to dig it out of the camping bin, but mine came out-of-the box looking exactly like this.

Cool website too, with an axe for every purpose both practical and pleasurable.

[/quote]

I love my Gransfors Bruks axes. Pictured is my small forest axe which I use the most. I attached a paracord loop through the handle and I’ve attached a carabiner to my pack so I can strap the axe to my pack safely and keep the paracord around my wrist when I’m using the axe. I’m no lumberjack but Gransfors Bruks are the nicest axes I’ve ever used. Although there’s a few custom tool makers who make hatchets and similar edged tools that come up to standard.

If you’re interested take a look at some of the guys on ebay who make their own edged tools. Some of them are crap of course but there’s some pretty skilled tool makers selling their wares. One guy uses a particular brand of lawn mower blades for his hatchets.

[quote]A-rod wrote:
Also no survival kit is complete without a serious flashlight. [/quote]

I consider Led Lensor to be amongst the top makers. I’ve been using a Led Lensor for years and I can’t even remember the model name. Something 7. Anyway, it takes four AAAs in a cartridge that screws into the body. Incredibly bright for the size and weight and the batteries last ages. I can also hold it (relatively) comfortably in my mouth while I’m holding a map or something.

I have several “bags” (bob, ghb, 3db, hunting bag, sailing bag and general camping bag)

I’m a bit of a “navigation nerd”. I have everything from the latest Garmin GPS (nautical and topical) down to an Astra IIIB sextant with tables and charts. Got about ten compasses from lensatic to several orienteering with various protractor base plates. Got lots of maps and waterproof carrying cases. I also always carry a strong magnet with each of my bags so I can magnetize a needle from my sewing kit (also carried in each of my bags LOL) and find magnetic north in a pinch.

My BOB focuses on long term “survival” and has more “longer term” tools. It’s my largest bag (I use a USMC ILBE with assault pack for that one with the US army sleep system (bivvy with a bag system down to -30). If I had to leave my house and “survive” long term, I’d be pretty well set up. The assault pack is set up like the GHB with some basics in case I had the ditch the heavy pack and be mobile - I’d still have enough to survive for a few days.

My GHB stays in the truck and has everything I need if I have to walk from my job to my house (about 40 miles) focus is more on temporary shelter, energy, local navigation/pre planned routs general and covert if necessary, communication and foot care. I also carry enough supplies in my truck that I cold live comfortably out of it for about a week.

My 3DB is more like a three day supply of clothes, toiletries and light snacks - not very “survival” oriented, mainly “comfort away from home” oriented.

My hunting and sailing bags have gear appropriate for those activities and my general camping bag set up for a few nights of tent camping.

Each system covers the basics of Water, Food, Shelter, Communication, Sanitation, Medical, Protection to a varying degree. For example, each of my bags has a Sawyer Mini water filtration system and various reservoirs - my BOB has a modular “combat” hydration system while my GHB has two Nalgene bottles. Each of my bags have baby wipes for sanitation, tarp and emergency blankets for shelter, 550 cord, compass/maps, a pair of radios (obviously a marine radio for my sailing bag), Emergency food, flashlights, batteries (everything I have is AA based, except for my rangefinders). I carry a leatherman wave on my belt at all times, so that is covered.

The assault pack of my BOB has a nice IFAK/blowout kit with two tourniquets, emergency sutures, etc… in case shit gets real. The rest of my medical kits are basic. I regularly stock up on fish antibiotics every year and have a rolling system to make sure they don’t expire. Disease and infection are the biggest concerns after the initial die off of a Malthusian event.

At my house, I have a “pandemic” bin (several hundred n-95 masks, glasses, gloves, tyvec suits, plastic, plastic, and more plastic, duct tape and pool shock (from which I can make thousands of gallons of chlorine bleach), food for a year, generator, solar/batteries/inverter, and just about everything I need to shelter comfortably in place.

While as a felon it is illegal for me to posses firearms, I do have the necessary arrangements in place so that the means to defend my family will be available to me if the rule of law were to break down. To reiterate, I am NOT violating any laws, but if the shit hit the fan I will defend my family without apology. In the meantime, I have several compound bows and crossbows and I’m a pretty good fucking shot with those. I also have a few surprises ready for anyone foolish enough to attempt a home invasion of my property. I present myself as a hard target, so if they are stupid or desperate enough, I have no sympathy for them.

I also have a place in WV that is cached and ready if I had to leave my home.

I’m pretty serious about it. LOL

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

I’m a big fan of 511 Tactical. I’m wearing a pair of olive drab TDU pants and a black duty jacket from them as I type this.

The TDUs were great in the jungle. They have a pocket on the knees for removable kneepads, which you appreciate more than you can imagine when kneeling on rocky or mushy terrain. And the TacLite shorts were absolutely perfect for the hot tropical afternoons. [/quote]

I hadn’t heard of that brand. I took a look and they look pretty good. If never get the camo ones though. I don’t like to wear anything that looks “military” or “tactical” or “paramilitary” as it can draw unwanted attention.

In Australia there’s a well known brand of top riding boot makers called R M Williams. You’ve probably heard of them for their famous slip on riding boots. They’ve been around about a century and they used to make stockmen’s clothes - real working clothes and boots that had to actually do the job in terrible climatic and geographical conditions. Anyway, to cut a long story short they’re the only country on earth that I know about that still makes 15 ounce moleskin trousers. These are extremely heavy and tough - much tougher than any jeans. Stockman wear these on horseback for thousands of miles of desert, forest, mountains and tropical rainforest. They’re the best trekking pants I’ve ever had. Only downside is they can get hot due to the weight.

You can get them on ebay:

They’ve got great big pockets with metal buttons too. A lot of hunters wear these in Australia. But as I said, I don’t like to wear them in hot weather.

BTW, if anyone knows anywhere in the world that makes moleskin trousers heavier than 15 oz. I’ve never heard of it. These are the strongest, toughest trousers I know about. Although I know there’s a lot of tactical stuff that is supposed to offer more protection. I don’t go in for that sort of stuff though.

[quote]furo wrote:
This is a really cool thread. What do you guys think of folding saws? I have two - both the same design - which were recommended by Ray Mears (although unlike the bushcraft knife, were very inexpensive). I’ve never been on a real expedition, but they have been great on camping trips and long hikes - really effective for making a shelter. Besides them I just have stuff already mentioned in this thread (torch, slingshot and various knives etc). I also have a lot of heavy duty water bottles and keep a 5L container of drinking water in my car (unconventional for the west coast of Scotland lol). [/quote]

For hand saws I like anything by Silky. However, I am going to buy a Bahco Expert/Laplander and give it a go. I’ve heard good things.

For water, I love my Lifestraw.

For a Scandi grind bushcraft knife that won’t break the bank, a Mora Companion is not a bad choice. Not as pretty as the knives SM is posting, but excellent value.

My next extravagant purchases will be a Grangfors Forest axe or a Hennessy expedition hammock. As yet undecided, but leaning toward the hammock.

Warmth is life. I love my SOL emergency bivy sack. Cheap, durable, effective. Proper clothing is your first line of defence in any survival situation. I favour wool. I have an old army super wash wool sweater that has always served me well. I also have a Helly Hansen 1 piece, soft pile underwear set that has been to the ends of the earth and back with me. It smells horrific, but it’s warm. I try to make it a rule to never go out without clothing I would be prepared to spend the night out in. It doesn’t always work out, but it’s something I remain aware of at least.

Suunto MC-2G Mil scale sighting compass is excellent. Having a few relevant maps printed, laminated and on hand is wise and something I aspire to.

550 paracord, zip ties, gorilla tape, tenacious tape, assorted carabiners, some tubular webbing and a decent length of 9-11mm static line are all very useful. A decent pack (40L or so) to carry it all in.

As a general statement, quality footwear is key. I currently have a pair of Viberg 45x Sierra hunting boots (also my workboots) and a pair of 9" SWAT duty boots which both serve their respective purposes admirably. My next footwear purchase will likely be a pair of Danner Crater Rim GTX Hikers. I rarely wear anything but Wigwam Merino wool hiker socks. Love them.

A reasonable first aid kit and the know-how to use it is indespensible as well. As I’m sure everybody knows the priorities of survival are: 1.) positive attitude 2.) first aid 3.)warmth: shelter/fire (debate as to which comes first. I favour shelter in most cases) 4.) signals 5.) water 6.) food

I absolutely agree that your wits, your will and your physical fitness are your most valuable tools in any situation, survival or otherwise.

I apologize for the lack of pics. Google is your friend.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

The TDUs were great in the jungle. They have a pocket on the knees for removable kneepads, which you appreciate more than you can imagine when kneeling on rocky or mushy terrain. And the TacLite shorts were absolutely perfect for the hot tropical afternoons. [/quote]

I hadn’t heard of that brand. I took a look and they look pretty good. If never get the camo ones though. I don’t like to wear anything that looks “military” or “tactical” or “paramilitary” as it can draw unwanted attention.

In Australia there’s a well known brand of top riding boot makers called R M Williams. You’ve probably heard of them for their famous slip on riding boots. They’ve been around about a century and they used to make stockmen’s clothes - real working clothes and boots that had to actually do the job in terrible climatic and geographical conditions. Anyway, to cut a long story short they’re the only country on earth that I know about that still makes 15 ounce moleskin trousers. These are extremely heavy and tough - much tougher than any jeans. Stockman wear these on horseback for thousands of miles of desert, forest, mountains and tropical rainforest. They’re the best trekking pants I’ve ever had. Only downside is they can get hot due to the weight.

You can get them on ebay:

They’ve got great big pockets with metal buttons too. A lot of hunters wear these in Australia. But as I said, I don’t like to wear them in hot weather.

BTW, if anyone knows anywhere in the world that makes moleskin trousers heavier than 15 oz. I’ve never heard of it. These are the strongest, toughest trousers I know about. Although I know there’s a lot of tactical stuff that is supposed to offer more protection. I don’t go in for that sort of stuff though.

Edit: R M Williams do some great leather work too. Only problem is they’re “trendy” and touristy so they’re expensive. One thing I bought from them years ago that was worth it was their kangaroo leather belt with two brass loops. You know the belts with no holes or pin? You just feed the loose end through the brass loops and tighten it. That’s my favourite belt style. Anyway, kangaroo leather is the strongest leather in the world by weight and R M Williams make a really nice kangaroo leather belt:

https://www.thestabledoor.com.au/rm-williams/rm-williams-belts-buckles

It’s the 1 1/2 inch kangaroo leather O ring plaited belt. $200+ for a belt is a hell of a lot but this is handmade top craftsmanship. These belts will last a lifetime - mind is going on ten years and with some linseed oil, dubbin and bees wax it looks like new. And the good thing about O Ring belts it doesn’t matter how much weight you put on or loose they’re always going to fit just right.

The pictured one is a reddish colour. Mine is a very dark brown.

Angry Chicken, after reading your last post, I put on my boonie hat specifically so that I could take it off to you. That, sir, is a superlatively enviable setup.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

I hadn’t heard of that brand. I took a look and they look pretty good. If never get the camo ones though. I don’t like to wear anything that looks “military” or “tactical” or “paramilitary” as it can draw unwanted attention.[/quote]

Agreed. Olive, khaki or “coyote brown” are the only colours I ever would consider.

As for footwear, I cannot praise Danner’s Combat Hiker highly enough. Very tough, very light, and comfortable enough to wear for days and weeks on end. They’ll also keep your feet dry unless you go wading through streams, but then they’ll dry quickly enough if you just take out the insoles and prop them in front of the fire.

BTW - Anyone got an opinion on “battoning” with a knife? I was always taught battoning will ruin your knife so I’ve never done it. But some folk say that the heavy duty, full tang, carbon steel knives are strong enough to use for battoning without damaging your knife.

For those who don’t know, “battoning” is where you place your blade atop a piece of wood you want to split. You then get a second piece of wood and use it to bang the back of the knife to direct a lot of kinetic energy on the blade splitting the wood. A bit hard to explain. Here’s a video of a guy battoning:

Sorry for the corny video. Anyway, that’s battoning. I was always taught it’s a big no no and will fuck your knife up. Any thoughts?

I do know that the back of an axe head is soft and hitting the back of an axe head will fuck it up. Any thoughts on battoning with a knife?