Survivalist Gear

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Did I mention it’s perfectly balanced like a tomahawk so you can throw it accurately?

[/quote]

Christmas got you down? Whilst disembowelling some of the relatives with an entrenching tool sounds superficially understandable, I think you’ve got to find a more positive way of dealing with this.[/quote]

No, I’m a peaceful guy. But when you’re camping in the middle of nowhere and someone like Ivan Milat passes your way it’s best to take any opportunity you can to not end up dead.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

That’s why I keep a hurley behind my bedroom door.[/quote]

A hurley is a formidable weapon. Just ask Cullen’s dog.

[/quote]

It’s more about the wielder. Cú chulainn was the Achilles of Ulster. Even Samson killed a thousand men with the jawbone of an ass.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I’m not much of a survivalist, but as far as hunting gear I love my Bark River Bravo II. It was sharp enough to shave with out of the box, and after field dressing 3 deer, chopping some brush, and cuting up some thick cardboard for the hell of it, it is still sharp enough to shave with. You can’t beat a convex grind.[/quote]

Bark River make okay knives but they’re not one of the top US makers. Not knocking them. Their bushcraft series are okay. an edged tool aficionado and the bushcraft knife is standard kit for me. I own eight or nine I think. The finest one I already posted on another thread. It’s a design that has been copied the world over and originates in the UK. They’re blade with a “scandi” grind.

literally hundreds of years of trial, error and use. It’s the pinnacle.

Essentially, it began as the Scandinavian/Finnish hunting and skinning knife called the “Puuko”. These guys needed a sharp, effective, durable, reliable and sharp knife to survive for everyday existence. They did not use the stainless steel that is popular with knife and cutlery makers because stainless steel does not have the right properties for edged tools of any kind. Avoid knives made from 440 and other stainless steel. They’re crap. Makers use it because it doesn’t rust easy but it makes a terrible edge, is hard to sharpen(especially in field), and it’s way off on the Rockwell scale - for a multipurpose knife like a bushcraft knife you want around 58.

Now, as for a convex edge I know they’re popular but I’d never use them in anything other than certain axes in my survival kit. I know how to sharpen a convex axe blade so I’d have no trouble with a convex knife.

But convex grinds are not as sharp nor as easy to sharpen in the field than a scandi grind

Being a single bevel, flat, very wide, and a straight angle, the scandi grind could not be easier. And it is widely known as the sharpest tool grind there is. The bushcraft knife was developed, as I said by trial and error by the Finnish and Scandinavians who are expert steel makers. They use/d high carbon steel from the billet and mostly 01 or occasionally 02. The strongest steel that takes the sharpest edge.

They also innovated the the scandi grind as I mentioned. They use the pukko for both field dressing and skinning - butchering if they have to. The pukko has a round reindeer handle that is not very ergonomic though and a few other problems. The bushcraft knife makers in England took the best designs if the pukko and improved on it making the bushcraft knife.

The first model of the Britisj bushcraft knife on the commercial market was financed by the TV survivalist Ray Mears. He called it the “Woodlore”. It became so popular that there’s still a ten year waiting list to buy one as there’s only one guy with the skill to hand make them. Google “woodlore knife” if you’re interested.

As there was a demand for this new knife the bushcraft community choose one of the world’s best survival knife makers, Stephen Wade Cox, and got him to produce a knife on the exact specs as the a Woodlore. I got one of the first generation ones that has handles(scales) make from dark Iroko wood that was many centuries old when harvested in the 16th Century and then hardened further for 300 years as the pews of an African church that was being demolished. Pretty much the hardest and most stable wood in the world. Beautiful too.

Anyway, the pattern of the bushcraft or any authentic bushcraft knife must be as follows:

1. A full tang blade made from high carbon steel; preferably a high grade tool steel from the billet

2. A wide scandi grind going the length from the handle to the tip. The grind should be extremely sharp - grinded and polished with increasing king fine grit. I use the Japanese water stones used to sharpen Japanese swords traditionally. I work my way down to a 10,000 grit then I polish with a special ultrafine grit paste and strop on leather, then polish with a synthetic material to give that mirror shine that cuts paper with ease.

3. Two “loveless” brass or some people like titanium rivets and a lanyard hole with brass inner.

4. An extremely thick blade(at minimum 5/16 inch) that is often tapered towards the handle to make the knife perfectly balanced. The thickness is maintained until it reaches the single bevel then it goes on a straight line as the scandi grind.

All of the above is further strengthened by using expoxy resin to hold the handle(scales) and rivets, lanyard inner in place.

As I said, I’m a collector of bushcraft knives. When I get the chance I’ll post some pics. I have a Spyderco bushcraft with black micarta handle - great knife even though it’s made in Taiwan, Condor Bushlore - great for the $ and can be made very respectable with some sandpaper and oil and beeswax, a L T Wright Genesis, the Steven Wade Cox one I posted in another thread.

Attached is a miniature bushcraft knife a friend made for me. The handles are top grade elephant tusk with a nice tusk disc attached to the leather lanyard. It had red spacers between the handles and the blade. It’s a shame the pic didn’t come out well. I’ll post another pic to show how thick the tool steel blade is. Yes, I’m a scandi grind man for sure. Nothing is sharper, stronger, more reliable and easy to clean than a scandi grind. I’ve been using these knives for years.

Here’s a view of the sideview and so you can see the red spacers. Remember this is just a mini bushcraft knife. The guy who made this is in demand to make knives all over the world so I was lucky to get this one. He has some awesome knives including one with a giraffe horn handle he had made for a gypsy gangster in Bulgaria.

Anyway, this thread is about all survival gear. Not just edged tools. Keep em coming.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
My favorite knife[/quote]

Specs?

[quote]mbdix wrote:

One of my favorite knives, only because that knife is a major contributor to America’s freedom. Not a full tang though and has some big disadvantages to other knives. I will post some pictures here in a minute. [/quote]

Do yourself a favour and read up on the Spyderco bushcraft knife if you haven’t already. If $150 is too much for you then there’s a very respectable knife called the Condor CTj236 HC. The Condor is made in El Salvador that’s why they’re cheap. But don’t let that put you off. They’re a really good knife. Mine came a bit rough out of the box but with some fine sand paper, oil and some sharpening and stripping it was like new. Likewise, the Sypderco is actually made in Taiwan. But again, don’t let that put you off. The Spyderco is a well made knife and good vale for more.

If you want a North American made knife have a look at the great knives being made by Canadian and American custom knife makers but unfortunately a lot of them are going out of business. But as I said, I favour the bushcraft knife and the scandi grind.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Everything.[/quote]

That’s a handy little kit. I love making little kits like that and finding cool stuff to put into them. Unless my eyes deceive me that’s an actual block of magnesium that you shave little pieces of in a pile. I’ve got a few magnesium blocks. Takes a little while to get a nice pile of shavings and they take up a bit more room than the “light my fire” rods that are popular now. Almost every leather sheath you buy now has a little loop to stick a light my fire rod. They’re good but I tend to use the older methods I learned back when I was in scouts like:

• Shavings from a magnesium rod

• chaff, an old bird’s nest or anything fluffy and dry; tampons, cotton ball, certain plant material

• a chemical mix from the first aid kit - put a little pile of potassium permanganate in a pile the size of a quarter then drop a drip of glycerin on top and the whole thing bursts into flames

• Some kids used those water proof matches you get inside the hollow, plastic handle of those crappy Chinese faux-Bowie knife exports.

We also used to use methods to keep the fire going all night without having to tend it. A good, simple method is to build the fire on of a cross hatch of large logs making a platform. Eventually the fire burns downwards and slowly and evenly burns the platform; airflow is maintained by the crosshatch pattern. More fuel can be added in the morning.

My gear for the third of three week-long treks into the jungle of northern Thailand near the Myanmar border. Blackhawk RAPTOR pack with two 100-oz hydration bladders, jungle hammock, mosquito netting, flysheet, poncho, lensatic compass, topo maps (your GPS can deceive you: don’t trust it), two machetes, a slingshot with spare bands and leather pouches, a shitload of paracord, Nescafe instant coffee packets, a few bars of chocolate, a magnesium block with flint and steel and a bundle of resinous pine splinters, plus bug spray and various toiletries.

Not pictured are the homemade crossbow that I carried (its quarrels were made of bamboo, with bamboo leaves for fletchings), the homemade cap lock shotgun that my friend Tin carried, nor the liter of homemade whiskey that we both carried.

Food was only what we gathered, caught or shot on the way. We ate squirrels, rats, civet cats, a couple birds, lots of crabs, fish, frogs and eels, plus bamboo worms, crickets, and a tarantula. Fruits and vegetables were in great abundance, including a variety of jungle herbs known for increasing blood flow and increasing hormone production.

[quote]A-rod wrote:
Did suffer a traumatic violent assault or something? Why so many weapons? [/quote]

The shotgun and the handgun Beth keeps do not constitute “many” weapons. I stayed with friends in Idaho who had (if I had to come up with a number) over thirty firearms throughout the house, including ten military rifles, among them a .50 calibre sniper rifle. That is what “many” weapons looks like.

I am going to go out on a limb and surmise that you don’t have many friends who are former police, hunters, or military combat veterans.

No more dangerous than to keep cars in your garage with gasoline in their fuel tanks. The cars won’t start up and drive off without your permission, neither will the guns fire without you telling them to.

Do these people view armed policemen and soldiers with the same horror and disgust? Why not?

Indeed. You suffer from a condition called hoplophobia, which is the irrational and morbid fear of inanimate objects, particularly weapons. It has been said that a fear of weapons hints at retarded sexual maturity, but I wouldn’t let it worry you. As long as you recognise your phobia as resulting from a form of conditioning, there is every hope that you will eventually recover.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
My gear for the third of three week-long treks into the jungle of northern Thailand near the Myanmar border. Blackhawk RAPTOR pack with two 100-oz hydration bladders, jungle hammock, mosquito netting, flysheet, poncho, lensatic compass, topo maps (your GPS can deceive you: don’t trust it), two machetes, a slingshot with spare bands and leather pouches, a shitload of paracord, Nescafe instant coffee packets, a few bars of chocolate, a magnesium block with flint and steel and a bundle of resinous pine splinters, plus bug spray and various toiletries.

Not pictured are the homemade crossbow that I carried (its quarrels were made of bamboo, with bamboo leaves for fletchings), the homemade cap lock shotgun that my friend Tin carried, nor the liter of homemade whiskey that we both carried.

Food was only what we gathered, caught or shot on the way. We ate squirrels, rats, civet cats, a couple birds, lots of crabs, fish, frogs and eels, plus bamboo worms, crickets, and a tarantula. Fruits and vegetables were in great abundance, including a variety of jungle herbs known for increasing blood flow and increasing hormone production.
[/quote]

Nice. I was going to get a nice lensatic but I opted for another orienteering compass but I’m used to using them. And slingshots are great for small game. And you don’t need to bother carrying lots of shot; just collect a few round pebbles as you go.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
And slingshots are great for small game. And you don’t need to bother carrying lots of shot; just collect a few round pebbles as you go.[/quote]

The Karen tribesmen I trekked with are absolutely deadly with their little Huck Finn slingshots. They could pick off birds and squirrels and jungle rats with unsettling ease. River pebbles constituted the mainstay of their ammunition, but I discovered a tree with bitter, inedible fruit whose seeds were semi-spherical, hard and heavy. Perfect practice ammo. I got so that I could regularly hit small targets at ten paces with these, although I wouldn’t trust them for reliable killing shots.

What excites me is a recent modification to the old wrist rocket-type slingshots that allows you to shoot full-size arrows with longbow accuracy and velocity. Imagine bringing down deer and boar with a slingshot! I am going to experiment with this over the winter and take one to Thailand with me next year.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
And slingshots are great for small game. And you don’t need to bother carrying lots of shot; just collect a few round pebbles as you go.[/quote]

The Karen tribesmen I trekked with are absolutely deadly with their little Huck Finn slingshots. They could pick off birds and squirrels and jungle rats with unsettling ease. River pebbles constituted the mainstay of their ammunition, but I discovered a tree with bitter, inedible fruit whose seeds were semi-spherical, hard and heavy. Perfect practice ammo. I got so that I could regularly hit small targets at ten paces with these, although I wouldn’t trust them for reliable killing shots.

What excites me is a recent modification to the old wrist rocket-type slingshots that allows you to shoot full-size arrows with longbow accuracy and velocity. Imagine bringing down deer and boar with a slingshot! I am going to experiment with this over the winter and take one to Thailand with me next year.[/quote]

That sounds awesome. Let us know how it goes.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Edited for clarity - Cold Steel entrenching shovel weights a little less than 2 lbs like the Spetznas version it’s modeled from.

I thought I’d start a thread for people to tell us about their most useful or cherished items in their bug out kit or camping/survival gear. No guns please. That has it own threads.

This is my Cold Steel entrenching shovel. They’re no longer in production. The thing about entrenching shovels is they’ve never made a good folding one. I’ve used the WWI and WWII and recent folding entrenching shovel and they’re all crap. They never maintain rigidity.

Shovels are essential camping/survival gear and you’ll find yourself using one many times a day so a good shovel is a must. A one piece shovel that is strong and sturdy and as light as possible. I choose the Cold Steel shovel because:

It is made from high carbon tool steel so it’s the right level of strength and can be sharpened easily and to a fine hone.

It is modeled on the Russian Spetznas design so it is a formidable self defence weapon. There are four edges to the tool. The front two edges come in contact with rocks and debre when digging and should not be overly sharpened or the burr with chip. The two side edges however are sharpened with progressively finer grades of grit or stone until it it razor shape and can cut paper. It then becomes a double edged hatchet with blades of high carbon tool steel double riveted to a maple club.

And how does it it dig? As good as could be expected from a light trench shovel that can be strapped to your backpack. I use it for digging latrines and I also often make a “Dakota Fire” or “Fire pit”. This is a really efficient fire and it makes very little light as its underground. You can fill in the holes when you’ve finished.

Any cool survival gear or tips? Stories?
[/quote]

As a tool for a survival situation, I would have a shovel very low on the list. But, that is a great looking tool and well made.[/quote]

I didn’t get it as a weapon in mind but it is actually a formidable weapon which you’d realise if you felt the weight and balance of it; the construction and the tool steel, razor sharp edges. Spetznas are trained to fight with them. There’s some good videos on youtube. Entrenching shovels were used a great deal in hand to hand combat in the trenches in WWI. The quarters were so close, the handguns of the day so awkward, that bayonets and entrenching shovels and such were used by storm troopers and Italian Arditi.

But enough of my entrenching shovel. Here’s a few things I keep ready by my pack, most of which I consider essential - especially the shovel for taking a shit, digging a hole, removing bark from branch, cutting small pieces of firewood if I didn’t bring my axe etc. there’s also some essential stuff missing. I didn’t bother rounding up everything. I just grabbed a few things lying around my pack:

• First decide my water source; where am I going? How long? Etc. There’s a Frontier Pro filtration unit there.

• Entrenching shovel

• On the left - fishing tackle and handline with sinkers that can be used as shot if needed

First aid kit
Candles
Leather man multi tool
Zip ties - very useful
55 feet 220lbs paracord - very useful. I can make a great fishing net from the innards amongst other things and I use it to string up my tarp which is on top of my mini fry pan

Spetznas cooking can and mater can - useful, light

Wooden paracord reel for ease of use
Plastic drop sheet
Poncho
Garbage bag
Fire tin full of all sorts of fire stuff from high resin pine shavings to magnesium to ferium rod etc
Roll of high tensile black twine - useful for many things
A large leather sack - I have heaps of these and use them for everything from flour to dry meat
SWC bushcraft knife

Recon subzero lightweight sleeping bag
A waterproof, tear proof sheet of DuPont paper to lay on the floor - this stuff is useful for loads of stuff

Hanging on the right side is an extremely warm sheepskin vest that I can sleep in when it gets really cold

I left out some of the stuff I photographed before - orientation, maps, gransfor bruks forest axe, bushman binoculars, digital range finder etcetc. there’s also hundreds of little useful things I jam in my pack that have multiple uses.

And mine. Custom made by renowned Sheffield knife maker Stephen Wade Cox. You can’t get one like it anymore because they ran out of the wood used for the handles. When the knife was commissioned they wanted a hardwood of incredible stability so it would be an heirloom knife - ie, you could pass it down to your grandkids and in a hundred years the wooden handle will not crack. So they choose a dark African hardwood called “Iroko”. The Iroko tree takes centuries to produce the quality first growth wood needed. But instead of buy freshly cut Iroko timber(I think it might be illegal now due to conservationists) - they found an old church in Africa that was being demolished and the bought the Iroko pews of the church. So it’s centuries old first growth Iroku that’s then been aged and stabilised as a church pew for another three hundred years.

SWC uses the Ray Mears “Woodlore” pattern of two brass loveless rivets expoxied to the full tang, a brass lanyard hole, 5/16 inch thick high carbon tool steel with a scandi grind. Because the handle is heavier than the knife edge SWC tapers the tang towards the handle side so it’s perfectly balanced. I say this is my favourite because it’s heirloom quality but I hardly ever use it. It mostly gets an occasional stropping on leather then sprayed with camellia oil - that’s what they use on Japanese swords to prevent rust. And my leatherwork - leather will last forever if cared for properly. I use linseed oil, dubbin and then bees wax. The bees wax needs to be heated till it’s like a paste.

For sharpening scandi edged tools I use king water stones in various grades and I use a special axe sharpening stone made by gransfor bruks for my axe and a few other edged tools.

Attached photo is a Woodlore Bushcraft knife with custom Cape Buffalo Horn handles.

[quote] Varquanir wrote:

Indeed. You suffer from a condition called hoplophobia, which is the irrational and morbid fear of inanimate objects, particularly weapons. It has been said that a fear of weapons hints at retarded sexual maturity, but I wouldn’t let it worry you. As long as you recognise your phobia as resulting from a form of conditioning, there is every hope that you will eventually recover.

[/quote]

I know this wasn’t directed at me but for the record I have not posted anything I would consider a “weapon”. Unless you would call a fishing hook a weapon. Granted the Cold Steel Spetznas entrenching shovel has the duel purpose of being a formidable close quarters dispute resoluter.

Here in Australia fear of “weapons” is widespread and in their wisdom the federal government outlawed “double edged knives” - as we all know, it’s much more dangerous to have your throat slit by a double edged knife. Seriously though, the Fairbairne-Sykes fighting knife design is a pretty deadly weapon. They have “blood groves” to reduce the suction when you’re pulling it out of your victim. Then there’s those nasty little double edged palm knives they call “push daggers” - I’ve read they’re popular with some special forces because they’re so small, light and deadly. And of course the Fairbairne-Sykes was modelled upon the Italian Renaissance stiletto - the famous assassin’s spike. They were a favourite of Italian nobility so there are many highly elaborate, bejewelled versions around. Take a google if you’re interested. And of course, the Fairbairne-Sykes was influenced by the Scottish Dirk - another assassin’s spike of the nobility.

And let’s not forget the Sicilian fighting knives. Sicilian nobles and commoners carried knives for self defence and duelling knives for centuries. There’s too many types to go into.

However, I’m not interested in fighting knives. My interest is bushcraft and particularly the Scandinavian utility knives - knives that serve every purpose for survival and hunting. Sheffield in England and Solingen in Germany have always been renowned for their knife making but the Scandinavians and Finnish in particular developed knives that actually withstood the harshest conditions and had to perform reliably and be easy to sharpen in the field. That’s why the bushcraft community in Europe used the Scandi grind and high carbon steel. Instead of the traditional reindeer horn or stag the bushcraft knives are usually hardwood - although I’ve got a little ivory one pictures above and I’ve heard of giraffe horn and many exotic materials. Mylar is becoming popular too but I like natural materials.

As I said, in North America the Spyderco Bushcraft(G10) knife is the best freely available but it’s minimum $160

And there’s a cheaper option. The Condor Bushlore is a really good quality knife that you can pick up for as low as $35

Plenty of small knife makers in North America that are good. There’s a Canadian company that makes really good skinning knives amongst other things. I can’t think of the name of it now though. But for proper Bushcraft knife in North America the Spyderco is the way to go. Unless of course, you want to shell out $200+ for a US made L T Wright Genesis:

https://www.ltwrightknives.com/the-genesis.html

The L T Wright Genesis is the best US made bushcraft knife in my opinion. It doesn’t compare to the best European made ones though.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

And mine. Custom made by renowned Sheffield knife maker Stephen Wade Cox. You can’t get one like it anymore because they ran out of the wood used for the handles. When the knife was commissioned they wanted a hardwood of incredible stability so it would be an heirloom knife - ie, you could pass it down to your grandkids and in a hundred years the wooden handle will not crack. So they choose a dark African hardwood called “Iroko”. The Iroko tree takes centuries to produce the quality first growth wood needed. But instead of buy freshly cut Iroko timber(I think it might be illegal now due to conservationists) - they found an old church in Africa that was being demolished and the bought the Iroko pews of the church. So it’s centuries old first growth Iroku that’s then been aged and stabilised as a church pew for another three hundred years.

SWC uses the Ray Mears “Woodlore” pattern of two brass loveless rivets expoxied to the full tang, a brass lanyard hole, 5/16 inch thick high carbon tool steel with a scandi grind. Because the handle is heavier than the knife edge SWC tapers the tang towards the handle side so it’s perfectly balanced. I say this is my favourite because it’s heirloom quality but I hardly ever use it. It mostly gets an occasional stropping on leather then sprayed with camellia oil - that’s what they use on Japanese swords to prevent rust. And my leatherwork - leather will last forever if cared for properly. I use linseed oil, dubbin and then bees wax. The bees wax needs to be heated till it’s like a paste.

For sharpening scandi edged tools I use king water stones in various grades and I use a special axe sharpening stone made by gransfor bruks for my axe and a few other edged tools.[/quote]

That’s beautiful. I’ve had a few nice knives over the years, but none as fine as that one. I was given a KaBar when I was in the Civil Air Patrol when I was a kid, as well as an Italian blade my grandfather brought back from WWII, but through the various trials and tribulations, they were both lost. I bought a new KaBar a few years back when I started prepping.

I’ve always been a “function over form” guy with most things, often times eschewing anything “nice”. Hence my appreciation for the KaBar’s brutal simplicity. But I must say I’m beginning to turn over a new leaf with that.

You asked for specs earlier: 1095 Cro Van steel, clip style 7" blade with blood groove, 11 7/8" overall, 0.70 lbs., 0,165" thick, 20 degree edge angle, rat tail tang secured with steel butt cap with leather washer handle.

It’s not a true “bush craft” knife, but it’s tough as nails and has done everything I’ve ever asked it to do, from digging to skinning.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

What excites me is a recent modification to the old wrist rocket-type slingshots that allows you to shoot full-size arrows with longbow accuracy and velocity. Imagine bringing down deer and boar with a slingshot! I am going to experiment with this over the winter and take one to Thailand with me next year.[/quote]

That sounds awesome. Let us know how it goes.[/quote]

Any idea on how much kinetic energy thats putting out? I would hesitate to use a slingshot for hunting a boar. I’ve hunted boar and those fuckers are mean when you piss them off. But that’s just my uninformed opinion! If you’re confident it will perform, then have at it. I’d hate to have one charge you because that slingshot didn’t have enough ass to punch through to it’s vitals, though.

No disrespect intended, just an honest concern. If it works, that’s pretty bad ass!

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Attached photo is a Woodlore Bushcraft knife with custom Cape Buffalo Horn handles.

[quote] Varquanir wrote:

[/quote]

I know this wasn’t directed at me but for the record I have not posted anything I would consider a “weapon”. Unless you would call a fishing hook a weapon. Granted the Cold Steel Spetznas entrenching shovel has the duel purpose of being a formidable close quarters dispute resoluter.

Here in Australia fear of “weapons” is widespread and in their wisdom the federal government outlawed “double edged knives” - as we all know, it’s much more dangerous to have your throat slit by a double edged knife. Seriously though, the Fairbairne-Sykes fighting knife design is a pretty deadly weapon. They have “blood groves” to reduce the suction when you’re pulling it out of your victim. Then there’s those nasty little double edged palm knives they call “push daggers” - I’ve read they’re popular with some special forces because they’re so small, light and deadly. And of course the Fairbairne-Sykes was modelled upon the Italian Renaissance stiletto - the famous assassin’s spike. They were a favourite of Italian nobility so there are many highly elaborate, bejewelled versions around. Take a google if you’re interested. And of course, the Fairbairne-Sykes was influenced by the Scottish Dirk - another assassin’s spike of the nobility.

And let’s not forget the Sicilian fighting knives. Sicilian nobles and commoners carried knives for self defence and duelling knives for centuries. There’s too many types to go into.

However, I’m not interested in fighting knives. My interest is bushcraft and particularly the Scandinavian utility knives - knives that serve every purpose for survival and hunting. Sheffield in England and Solingen in Germany have always been renowned for their knife making but the Scandinavians and Finnish in particular developed knives that actually withstood the harshest conditions and had to perform reliably and be easy to sharpen in the field. That’s why the bushcraft community in Europe used the Scandi grind and high carbon steel. Instead of the traditional reindeer horn or stag the bushcraft knives are usually hardwood - although I’ve got a little ivory one pictures above and I’ve heard of giraffe horn and many exotic materials. Mylar is becoming popular too but I like natural materials.

As I said, in North America the Spyderco Bushcraft(G10) knife is the best freely available but it’s minimum $160

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Bushcraft-PlainEdge-Leather-Sheath/dp/B004GVT2Z8

And there’s a cheaper option. The Condor Bushlore is a really good quality knife that you can pick up for as low as $35

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002CC6BSO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1419699599&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Plenty of small knife makers in North America that are good. There’s a Canadian company that makes really good skinning knives amongst other things. I can’t think of the name of it now though. But for proper Bushcraft knife in North America the Spyderco is the way to go. Unless of course, you want to shell out $200+ for a US made L T Wright Genesis:

https://www.ltwrightknives.com/the-genesis.html

The L T Wright Genesis is the best US made bushcraft knife in my opinion. It doesn’t compare to the best European made ones though.
[/quote]

Thanks SM, now I gotta scrape up money to buy that knife!

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Everything.[/quote]

That’s a handy little kit. I love making little kits like that and finding cool stuff to put into them. Unless my eyes deceive me that’s an actual block of magnesium that you shave little pieces of in a pile. I’ve got a few magnesium blocks.
[/quote]

Yes it is a magnesium block. To the left you can see gorilla tape wrapped around a pencil and needle. You can tear strips of the gorilla tape and make a little pile then shave some magnesium on top, with a few sparks have a fire going in less than 5 minutes

Edited for clarity

That’s beautiful.

[/quote]

Yep. I have a love of quality and excellent workmanship; skills and knowledge that needs to be passed on for generations or it’s lost. Violin making is a bit like that. They don’t make em like they used to as they say. Fortunately, there’s renewed interest in survivalist gear and associated leather and steel work.

Kabar make great knives. I was looking at a big survival machete style nod recently. And they make “Kukri” style knives too. Great knives but I’d advise against getting any of their Kukri models. Kukri are traditional Nepalese fighting knives as you probably know and if you want a serious Kukri fighting knife you go to a skilled custom maker; preferably with a reputation in a family that’s been making them for years. Speak to a Gurkha. They know all about them. They’re great for hacking your way through jungle so they’re a reasonable fighting tool.

Yeah, that’s literally of hundreds of traditional knives in different parts of Italy and Sicily. Last time I was there in 1999 you could buy really good quality heavy switch blades. This was in Rome. In Sicily they have traditional fighting knives that were outlawed under Napoleon III and so changed style to resemble a shepherd’s knife.

Yes, Kabar is good for functionality. They make hardy, functional survival stuff. Cold Steel does that too but they have a much bigger range. To be honest a lot of Cold Steel and Kabar products are crap too. You need to examine what you’re buying, how it’s made, what materials etc. I like tools that are functional but I also like really nice quality stuff like top of the line edge tools.

That’s a really good steel I’ve heard. 1095 is a high carbon steel used commonly on edged tools. And 1095 Cro Van is apparently an alloy of 1095 that improves on its properties.

Sounds sturdy. What I like about the bushcraft design is the loveless rivets screw into the tang and handles and they’re also expoxyed so the whole thing is incredibly strong. This is why some people are comfortable with “battoning” with their knife to split chunks of wood. I don’t do it but I’m sure some of the best knives are capable of it.

Yep. Kabar makes great knives - particularly, reliable survival knives. There’s a lot of good small, North American companies making top quality knives catering to different markets. As I said, Cold Steel is making some crazy shit. Not stuff I’m interesting in but stuff like real maces, double handed bastard swords, real Roman Gladius, African spears and whips, Medieval pikes etc. They make a lot of crap too but they also make a few tools that are really useful for bushcraft.