T Nation

Survivalist Gear

Edited for clarity - Cold Steel entrenching shovel weights a little less than 2 lbs like the Spetznas version it's modeled from.

I thought I'd start a thread for people to tell us about their most useful or cherished items in their bug out kit or camping/survival gear. No guns please. That has it own threads.

This is my Cold Steel entrenching shovel. They're no longer in production. The thing about entrenching shovels is they've never made a good folding one. I've used the WWI and WWII and recent folding entrenching shovel and they're all crap. They never maintain rigidity.

Shovels are essential camping/survival gear and you'll find yourself using one many times a day so a good shovel is a must. A one piece shovel that is strong and sturdy and as light as possible. I choose the Cold Steel shovel because:

It is made from high carbon tool steel so it's the right level of strength and can be sharpened easily and to a fine hone.

It is modeled on the Russian Spetznas design so it is a formidable self defence weapon. There are four edges to the tool. The front two edges come in contact with rocks and debre when digging and should not be overly sharpened or the burr with chip. The two side edges however are sharpened with progressively finer grades of grit or stone until it it razor shape and can cut paper. It then becomes a double edged hatchet with blades of high carbon tool steel double riveted to a maple club.

And how does it it dig? As good as could be expected from a light trench shovel that can be strapped to your backpack. I use it for digging latrines and I also often make a "Dakota Fire" or "Fire pit". This is a really efficient fire and it makes very little light as its underground. You can fill in the holes when you've finished.

http://www.modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-skills/advantages-of-the-dakota-fire-hole/

Any cool survival gear or tips? Stories?

This thing is super tough BTW. I can’t imagine any way to break it. It’s double riveted to a heavy maple club and then professionally hand welded. There’s heaps of videos on youtube of people using it as an axe. I doubt they’ve sharpened it very well though. It’s made if high carbon tool steel so it can be sharpened razor sharp like a samurai sword:

Did I mention it’s perfectly balanced like a tomahawk so you can throw it accurately?

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Did I mention it’s perfectly balanced like a tomahawk so you can throw it accurately?

[/quote]

Christmas got you down? Whilst disembowelling some of the relatives with an entrenching tool sounds superficially understandable, I think you’ve got to find a more positive way of dealing with this.

“One mind, any weapon.”

That’s why I keep a hurley behind my bedroom door.

I’m not much of a survivalist, but as far as hunting gear I love my Bark River Bravo II. It was sharp enough to shave with out of the box, and after field dressing 3 deer, chopping some brush, and cuting up some thick cardboard for the hell of it, it is still sharp enough to shave with. You can’t beat a convex grind.

My favorite knife

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

That’s why I keep a hurley behind my bedroom door.[/quote]

A hurley is a formidable weapon. Just ask Cullen’s dog.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
My favorite knife[/quote]

One of my favorite knives, only because that knife is a major contributor to America’s freedom. Not a full tang though and has some big disadvantages to other knives. I will post some pictures here in a minute.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Edited for clarity - Cold Steel entrenching shovel weights a little less than 2 lbs like the Spetznas version it’s modeled from.

I thought I’d start a thread for people to tell us about their most useful or cherished items in their bug out kit or camping/survival gear. No guns please. That has it own threads.

This is my Cold Steel entrenching shovel. They’re no longer in production. The thing about entrenching shovels is they’ve never made a good folding one. I’ve used the WWI and WWII and recent folding entrenching shovel and they’re all crap. They never maintain rigidity.

Shovels are essential camping/survival gear and you’ll find yourself using one many times a day so a good shovel is a must. A one piece shovel that is strong and sturdy and as light as possible. I choose the Cold Steel shovel because:

It is made from high carbon tool steel so it’s the right level of strength and can be sharpened easily and to a fine hone.

It is modeled on the Russian Spetznas design so it is a formidable self defence weapon. There are four edges to the tool. The front two edges come in contact with rocks and debre when digging and should not be overly sharpened or the burr with chip. The two side edges however are sharpened with progressively finer grades of grit or stone until it it razor shape and can cut paper. It then becomes a double edged hatchet with blades of high carbon tool steel double riveted to a maple club.

And how does it it dig? As good as could be expected from a light trench shovel that can be strapped to your backpack. I use it for digging latrines and I also often make a “Dakota Fire” or “Fire pit”. This is a really efficient fire and it makes very little light as its underground. You can fill in the holes when you’ve finished.

Any cool survival gear or tips? Stories?
[/quote]

As a tool for a survival situation, I would have a shovel very low on the list. But, that is a great looking tool and well made.

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

Terrible choice. Especially for a female. Just a normal baseball bat would be better for home defense. If I was to break into your home with bad intentions, yes if you caught me swinging that full speed with the thin side it could possibly do some damage. If you caught me with that broad side it would break and piss me off. An aluminium baseball bat would be a better option behind your door.

I don’t know you or your living situation, but if you are single and feel like you might need something for protection I would suggest a 20 gauge shotgun

Carry mode

Everything.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

Terrible choice. Especially for a female. Just a normal baseball bat would be better for home defense. If I was to break into your home with bad intentions, yes if you caught me swinging that full speed with the thin side it could possibly do some damage. If you caught me with that broad side it would break and piss me off. An aluminium baseball bat would be a better option behind your door.

I don’t know you or your living situation, but if you are single and feel like you might need something for protection I would suggest a 20 gauge shotgun
[/quote]

Well I’ve got a loaded 12G on one side of my bed and a loaded Kimber 45ACP within reach. Is that enough for you? Cus I am just a weak lil girl after all…

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

[/quote]

Well I’ve got a loaded 12G on one side of my bed and a loaded Kimber 45ACP within reach. Is that enough for you? Cus I am just a weak lil girl after all…
[/quote]

More than enough. Glad to hear, just got a little concerned that your only self defense weapon might be a fucking hurley. haha

Did suffer a traumatic violent assault or something? Why so many weapons? Not that thats a bad thing but I don’t often encounter too many people who keep weapons like that. Kinda dangerous to have so many loaded weapons around. But I come from wealthy gun hating county right outside DC where people look at you like a three legged freak if you say you have a gun or want to get a gun. So maybe I’ve just been conditioned to find such a set up strange.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

[/quote]

[/quote]

I love these watches. There really cheap and durable. I think they are a good addition to a survival get up.

[quote]A-rod wrote:
I love these watches. There really cheap and durable. I think they are a good addition to a survival get up. [/quote]

I think the value of those watches are much more than their price.

I don’t see how they make a good addition to survival get up?

[quote]A-rod wrote:
Did suffer a traumatic violent assault or something? Why so many weapons? Not that thats a bad thing but I don’t often encounter too many people who keep weapons like that. Kinda dangerous to have so many loaded weapons around. But I come from wealthy gun hating county right outside DC where people look at you like a three legged freak if you say you have a gun or want to get a gun. So maybe I’ve just been conditioned to find such a set up strange.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:
“One mind, any weapon.”

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Yes. Trauma would be accurate. It’s also on me to protect my family. Where I live everyone has multiple guns. Doesn’t hurt to be perpetually prepared.