Stronger Deadlift: Oly Lifter vs Powerlifter?

Oh sorry if I said that to be a good weightlifter you have to be damn strong. I guess it’s a sin around here. You nerds can keep your fantasies and train your fast twitch fibres and all that jibba jabba. I’ll get big and strong, thank you.

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Oh sorry if I said that to be a good weightlifter you have to be damn strong. I guess it’s a sin around here. You nerds can keep your fantasies and train your fast twitch fibres and all that jibba jabba. I’ll get big and strong, thank you.[/quote]
you said much more than that, and you know it. now stfu and go lift something.

Tell me what I said.

The Silence of the Slack Jawed.

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Tell me what I said.[/quote]

If you don’t mind I’d like to take a whack at this.

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Over 200 kg snatch usually equals to over 400 kg deadlift (see Koklyaev). Throw that explosive mambo jambo to the trash bin. Weightlifters are strong, and strength is what makes a big weight move. An elite weightlifter is always a worthy opponent against an elite powerlifter.[/quote]

You can’t drop a “usually” based off of one lifter who trains powerlifting and strongman as well as the olympic lifts. And that “explosive mambo jambo” is what allows elite lifters to do what they do. Of course weightlifters are brutally strong, but what separates the wheat from the chaff is speed. Explosive speed. Watch any youtube video of any world/olympic champion weightlifter and tell me they’re not explosive, tell me they’re not fast.

[quote]Wrah wrote:
The fact is that weightlifters can pick up 210 or 215 kg with a collar to collar grip like it’s a broom stick. That’s not explosiveness, that’s called either strength reserves and/or lack of weaknesses, which ever you like to call it. Weightlifters are the perfect deadlifters, powerlifters are amateurs in comparison.[/quote]

This is just asinine. The reason it looks like those guys are picking up that much weight “like it’s a broom stick” is because THEY’RE LIFTING IT FAST. THEY’RE LIFTING IT EXPLOSIVELY. Again, I’m not saying they’re not brutally strong, because they are. But there’s a big difference between explosive power and raw strength - o-lifters train for one, powerlifters the other (speaking very broadly, of course).

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Patrick Mendes deadlifts over 350 kg and he snatched 176(?) in competition and his pull with the ~215 kg clean looked really lifeless. It’s easy to underestimate the strength these guys need to have. Broz said that Krastev pulled 500 kg from 20 cm blocks (sorry, corrected!). Figure what that could mean from the ground.[/quote]

Firstly, here you go making generalizations again based on a sample size that you can count on one hand. That’s faulty logic if you ask me. Also, if you’re going to use Mendez so you can compare his deadlift with his snatch/clean and jerk, at least be consistent. Don’t compare his training deadlift with his shitty competition lifts (when there were all kinds of excuses/speculation as to why he didn’t live up to his youtube training video hype). There’s a youtube video of Pat cleaning 240kg in training, and the pull off the floor most definitely did not look “lifeless.”

That’s all I got for now. I don’t know why I let myself get sucked into these stupid threads.

It’s quite rare to see ignorance as great as Wrah’s enter the Oly forum on this site. Thankfully, rational thinking has prevailed and left him walking out the door uttering insults at those who dared to challenge his ‘logic’

No-one has challenged me yet. Atleast I try to back up my claims with examples, I have never see the explosiveness whack jobs doing the same, maybe because they can’t. I picked Pat’s competition lifts because competition matters you know. No straps and all of that stuff. Three attempts.

Please tell me the top barbell speed and average acceleration in the snatch and please tell me how that is in the area of explosive strength like for example javelin throw is. And please tell me why the biggest deadlifters win in the strongman event where the athletes throw 20-25 kg over the wall and why should this change when the load is increased 8 fold.

please tell me how that is in the area of explosive strength like for example javelin throw is

wot?

[quote]Paperclip wrote:
Before we dismiss this as “silly”…
[/quote]

aw. you are a decent human being.

the deadlift is kinda interesting in that i’ve heard some stuff too about how it seems to go up as the result of ‘non specific training’ unlike the back squat or the clean or the snatch…

but still… if i wanted to know how to improve my dead lift… i’d go ask a powerlifter.

[quote]alexus wrote:

but still… if i wanted to know how to improve my dead lift… i’d go ask a powerlifter.
[/quote]

THIS.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:

[quote]alexus wrote:

[/quote]

THIS. [/quote]

YES. It seems that, Wrah, you’re suggesting somehow every single professional powerlifter in the world has got it wrong, whereas YOU have got it all worked out; do you see how that could seem improbable to some people? I mean if you drop your megalomaniacal, self-righteous preaching of anecdotal evidence and assumed theories, and just think about this plain fact, dont you feel a bit even the slightest shred of doubt?

silence Wrah? Apparently every one in this thread thinks you are a tool, that should tell you something.

I will not spend more time typing on you until you post up a vid of you lifting in the OL log.

[quote]alexus wrote:

aw. you are a decent human being.

the deadlift is kinda interesting in that i’ve heard some stuff too about how it seems to go up as the result of ‘non specific training’ unlike the back squat or the clean or the snatch…

[/quote]

I and some others found that people usually can pull decently compared to squatting for example. One reason that I can think of is that the weight/barbell in a deadlift movement is self stabilizing, i.e. you just need brute force to lift it from the ground. How your form looks like be damned.

I did find that it was somewhat difficult when I tried to deadlift for the first time however. A lot of it had to do with putting the weight down.

[quote]yarni wrote:

[quote]MAsteve wrote:

[quote]alexus wrote:

[/quote]

THIS. [/quote]

YES. It seems that, Wrah, you’re suggesting somehow every single professional powerlifter in the world has got it wrong, whereas YOU have got it all worked out; do you see how that could seem improbable to some people? I mean if you drop your megalomaniacal, self-righteous preaching of anecdotal evidence and assumed theories, and just think about this plain fact, dont you feel a bit even the slightest shred of doubt? [/quote]

Where are your theories? The side of me that always ponders and questions and forms some kind of patterns is one of my best qualities I think. Why are you people so butt hurt? I never said weightlifters are stronger pullers than powerlifters. Sheesh. It’s like arguing against 12-year-olds. Notice how nobody has brought any evidence to support their own case, it’s just attack attack attack.

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Weightlifters are the perfect deadlifters, powerlifters are amateurs in comparison.[/quote]
This quote right here is evidence that no one should talk to you ever again.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Weightlifters are the perfect deadlifters, powerlifters are amateurs in comparison.[/quote]
This quote right here is evidence that no one should talk to you ever again. [/quote]

I was talking about execution. Come on do we really need to argue about this?

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:
This quote right here is evidence that no one should talk to you ever again. [/quote]

I was talking about execution. Come on do we really need to argue about this?[/quote]

The thread isn’t about execution though, its about who has the stronger deadlift. Perhaps you should make yourself more clear in the future, or people will think you don’t have a clue what your talking about

[quote]Summons wrote:
The thread isn’t about execution though, its about who has the stronger deadlift. Perhaps you should make yourself more clear in the future, or people will think you don’t have a clue what your talking about[/quote]

This thread is clearly more than just that.

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Summons wrote:
The thread isn’t about execution though, its about who has the stronger deadlift. Perhaps you should make yourself more clear in the future, or people will think you don’t have a clue what your talking about[/quote]

This thread is clearly more than just that.[/quote]

yes, its been taken well off course by you making and ass of yourself

I’m still waiting for any counter argument. A reasonable adult just cannot say “this is the truth because it is so”. Give me something dammit!