Stronger Deadlift: Oly Lifter vs Powerlifter?

lmfao

Before we dismiss this as “silly”, apparently there are indeed some discussions involving this issue. I think I’ve read somewhere that Bill Star as a weightlifter could deadlift considerable weight and have amazed some PLers at his time. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I also have known from Kenny Croxdale (a powerlifter, you can reach him on ExRx forum among many others that he participates in) that some PLers use pulls to train their deadlift.

Alright to be more serious for a second, I’m pretty sure there are weightlifters who can deadlift a lot. However I’m still convinced that the world records will be held by powerlifters.

I also think that the powerlifting records are still not as far as they could be. Olympic weightlifters, unlike powerlifters, have first and foremost a shit ton of money to get drugs, good programs, good coaches, good facilities, good rehab, good doctors etc. Add to that that weightlifting is in my opinion far ahead of powerlifting in terms of “training philosophy” its not that surprising that weightlifters would be pretty close in the deadlift.

Basically if powerlifting was as popular as weightlifting and for as long a time as weightlifting we would see higher numbers.

Here’s an interesting article by Bill Star about training the deadlift “Olympic lifting style” that I’ve just found:

sherdog.net/forums/f13/bill-starr-deadlifts-variety-specificty-1201740/

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
In general strength, yes. In the deadlift, no. If weightlifting style training lead to a bigger deadlift, that’s what powerlifters would do.[/quote]

That’s really faulty logic.

[/quote]
No, it’s faulty to call something faulty without reason.

No, I’m not reaching at anything. I was saying he can’t be used as an example because he trains for both powerlifting and olympic lifting and strongman. I never tried to use him as an example of anything.

[quote]

The fact is that weightlifters can pick up 210 or 215 kg with a collar to collar grip like it’s a broom stick. That’s not explosiveness, that’s called either strength reserves and/or lack of weaknesses, which ever you like to call it. Weightlifters are the perfect deadlifters, powerlifters are amateurs in comparison.[/quote]

You’re last sentence makes me wonder if you are mildly retarded.

[quote]Paperclip wrote:
Before we dismiss this as “silly”, apparently there are indeed some discussions involving this issue. I think I’ve read somewhere that Bill Star as a weightlifter could deadlift considerable weight and have amazed some PLers at his time. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I also have known from Kenny Croxdale (a powerlifter, you can reach him on ExRx forum among many others that he participates in) that some PLers use pulls to train their deadlift.[/quote]

The thing is, there are amazing athletes out there that are going to be strong as shit at whatever they choose to do. There are plenty of ridiculously strong o-guys. BUT they would deadlift more if they’d chosen to pursue powerlifting.

I doubt an OLifter could DL 1000lbs…I recon the supers could at least DL 300-330kg at the very minimum imo. Thats 66-73% of the DL WR.

This is pretty cut and dry lads.

Koing

Oly lifters have explosive strength values that are very close to their maximum strength values. In other words, a lot of their maximum strength has been harnessed into explosiveness, if that makes sense.

So, an oly lifter with a 200kg clean and jerk may not be able to deadlift much more than 250kg.

The same oly lifter may also be crushed by a 150kg bench.

I remember reading a study that talk about the actual force generated by O-lifters and Powerlifters.

The study found that the O-lifters could generate more force, but it had to be with lighter weights and higher accelerations. O-lifters could create a higher force, but powerlifters could move more weight.

[quote]Koing wrote:
I doubt an OLifter could DL 1000lbs…I recon the supers could at least DL 300-330kg at the very minimum imo. Thats 66-73% of the DL WR.

Koing[/quote]
this right here

now let’s stop having this stupid ass discussion. I’ll stick to my clean and jerk, powerlifters can do their heavy deadlifts. end of story.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

You’re last sentence makes me wonder if you are mildly retarded.[/quote]

I’m a retard with eyes. I’ve seen weightlifters pulling big weights and it’s always beautiful.

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

Patrick Mendes deadlifts over 350 kg and he snatched 176(?) in competition and his pull with the ~215 kg clean looked really lifeless. It’s easy to underestimate the strength these guys need to have. Broz said that Krastev pulled 500 kg from 20 cm blocks (sorry, corrected!). Figure what that could mean from the ground.

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

Patrick Mendes deadlifts over 350 kg and he snatched 176(?) in competition and his pull with the ~215 kg clean looked really lifeless. It’s easy to underestimate the strength these guys need to have. Broz said that Krastev pulled 500 kg from 10 cm blocks. Figure what that could mean from the ground.[/quote]

It means nothing from the ground unless you do it.

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

You’re last sentence makes me wonder if you are mildly retarded.[/quote]

I’m a retard with eyes. I’ve seen weightlifters pulling big weights and it’s always beautiful.[/quote]

And what exactly was that Magnusson dead I posted? Ugly?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
It means nothing from the ground unless you do it.[/quote]

Ooooh powerlifter slogan?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
And what exactly was that Magnusson dead I posted? Ugly?[/quote]

Did I imply that?

I can’t believe you still don’t believe it. Hell abadjiev talked about the whole concept of specialized adaptation and if his lifters did snatch and clean and jerk and front squats then all of the body adaptation would go to those lifts.

Now why wouldn’t the same apply for the deadlift and powerlifters?

seriously I can’t believe someone who joined in 2007 and probably read the forums a decent amount think PLs can do less than olympic lifters. If that was true all powerlifters would either just do olympic lifting or change their training drastically.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
I can’t believe you still don’t believe it. Hell abadjiev talked about the whole concept of specialized adaptation and if his lifters did snatch and clean and jerk and front squats then all of the body adaptation would go to those lifts.

Now why wouldn’t the same apply for the deadlift and powerlifters?

seriously I can’t believe someone who joined in 2007 and probably read the forums a decent amount think PLs can do less than olympic lifters. If that was true all powerlifters would either just do olympic lifting or change their training drastically.[/quote]

Where did anyone say that weightlifters can pull more than powerlifters?

Sorry I see Vik did, you didn’t. You said something similar but not exactly that.

also… Every Oly lifter is using straps on deadlifts. Powerlifters are not, generally. And yes, straps are a big fucking deal.

Wrah, you keep bringing up very select people in the O-lifting world… Mendez, Kokylaev, etc (not to say that Mendez is comparable to other elite weightlifters; and also, Koklyaev trains as a strongman/powerlifter). But there are a LOT of ‘amateur’ powerlifters, as you put it, regularly deadlifting 700+ lbs quite easily.

You need to start posting some vids or something in the OL log for all the bullshit you are spewing. I want to see if you actually lift.