Still a Fat Man in a Little Coat

been sick for what seems like forever so i haven’t been in the gym in a week. felt really good tonight though. decided to go in try out some of our new toys at the new gym. i did foam presses for a warmup and then used chains for the first time ever. then we finished with the neutral grip bar for accessory work. i prefer the chains over bands now. the chains allow for a much freer ROM. i feel as if the bands lock me into a set ROM much like a machine.

warmup- foam bench press

135x10
225x10
275x6
315x2
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x1

bench press with chains- approximately 40lbs of chain. unfortunately my t-rex arms didn’t have the chains unloading much at the bottom though…

225 + chains x 3 -paused
275 + chains x 2-paused
315 + chains x 1-paused
365 + chains x 1-paused
405 + chains x 1-paused - shut it down there. this is a good starting point for me with the chains.

neutral grip bar- have no idea how much this thing weighs but i’ll just say 45lbs to make it easy.

135x10
225x10
275x10
315x8

a few sets of straight arm lateral raises

that’s it.

1-20-11 Bench

Flat BB Bench Press *Foam Press (It’s bout a 4 inch round foam thing)
10xBar
5x135
3x225
1x275
1x315
0x365 *screwed up…
1x365
1x385 +20 or 30 lb PR(gotta look at old book)… surprised myself.

Flat BB Bench *Paused
2x135 *40 lb chain total, deloading ~3/4 at bottom
1x225
1x245
1x265

T-bar Neutral Grip Flat Bench *this bar is huge… looks more than 45 lbs, dunno.
10x135
8x185
8x185
8x185

*Superset
Side DB Raise / 1-Arm Band Reverse Fly
2x12x20 / 2x10xband

BB Row
20x135

DB Row
12x100

Great night. Had a lot of fun trying the different things. We haven’t done the foam press in about a year, and I surprised myself with my strength there. I’ve upped my calories by drinking a lot more milk lately, and it feels good.

The chains were fun. With my ROM it’s 40 lbs with the chains barely off the floor, then I’m deloading over half of them, maybe -25 to 30 lbs at the bottom. Feels really good for gettin that paused work in…

Those neutral grip benches were harder than I expected. The bar was wobbling pretty bad for me on my last set, lol. I was tucking my elbows pretty hard with that grip, and the triceps really felt it.

Was a lot of benching and I was taking my sweet ass time packin up and scott got out of there and I decided to do a little bit of rowing before I left. Man, 12 reps with the 100 was not easy for me. I think my upper back should be strong enough to be rowing the 100’s much easier. Just gotta keep workin on that.

I think I might be done with 5/3/1 for now. I thought this session felt great, and it resembles a lot of what we used to do before moving to 5/3/1. That was 5 cycles ago, and doing 3 days a week a cycle is 5 weeks… so we’ve been doing it for over 6 months I guess?

Ehh scott you were still deloading about half of it at the bottom. So your 4 plates was 445 at the top, and 425 at the bottom, about.

It’s nice not having to make so much of a guess, like with bands.

nice lifting boys…

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
nice lifting boys…[/quote]

thanks buns.

the new pit is awesome. i think my balls finally dropped.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i prefer the chains over bands now. the chains allow for a much freer ROM. i feel as if the bands lock me into a set ROM much like a machine.
[/quote]
Interesting observation. I know what you mean, although I’ve never thought of it that way.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

i prefer the chains over bands now. the chains allow for a much freer ROM. i feel as if the bands lock me into a set ROM much like a machine.
[/quote]
Interesting observation. I know what you mean, although I’ve never thought of it that way.[/quote]

i like to think i’m an “out of the box” sort of thinker:)

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:

thanks buns.

[/quote]

Yeah, but has it put hair on your chest?

Be careful-- I’ve found that HS Machines remove hair from your chest and cause your balls to retract.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:

thanks buns.

[/quote]

Be careful-- I’ve found that HS Machines remove hair from your chest and cause your balls to retract.[/quote]

as a powerlifter i embrace my gorilla-like body. you would be more apt to try and find an area on me that doesn’t have hair on it.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:

thanks buns.

[/quote]

Be careful-- I’ve found that HS Machines remove hair from your chest and cause your balls to retract.[/quote]

as a powerlifter i embrace my gorilla-like body. you would be more apt to try and find an area on me that doesn’t have hair on it.
[/quote]

I’ll just take Joweee’s word for it about those ‘special areas’.

I was just thinking scott. I really wanna try doing good-mornings with that safety squat bar! I think they would feel much less awkward with that bar.

skwatt day- still gett’n over this damn cold. was really hoping to work up to 690 on squats. warmups felt okay but i had set up issues on my 600 and 650 sets, so i decided to save it for another day. i need to back off the heavy shit for a couple weeks anyway. i’ve been push’n the squats every week for a month now. i’ll hit that 700lb squat soon though.

squats

warmup
0x10x2
150x10
240x6
330x2
420x1
510x1
600x1-stance was a bit too narrow.
650x1-pitched forward some on the way up.

lunges - front foot elevated to allow for a good stretch
some x some

seated calf raise
some x some

not a bad day but i wanted that 690lb squat today.

1-23-11 Squats

Squats *60 LB Bar
10xBar
6x150
4x240
2x330
1x420
1x450
1x490 +15 LB PR
1x510 +35 LB PR

BB Lunges *Front foot elevated a few inches.
8xBar
8x95
8x95

That’s it. Was late for church but after that squatting I didn’t feel like doing that much more anyway. Finally broke that 500 mark on squats! :slight_smile: I got a video and I’ll link it later after scott uploads it. Going to back off the intensity on the squats for a lil while probably. Gotta get the deadlift movin up now.

[quote]Joweeee wrote:
1-23-11 Squats

Squats *60 LB Bar
10xBar
6x150
4x240
2x330
1x420
1x450
1x490 +15 LB PR
1x510 +35 LB PR

8xBar
8x95
8x95

That’s it. Was late for church but after that squatting I didn’t feel like doing that much more anyway. Finally broke that 500 mark on squats! :slight_smile: I got a video and I’ll link it later after scott uploads it. Going to back off the intensity on the squats for a lil while probably. Gotta get the deadlift movin up now.[/quote]

Excellent Jowweeeeee!! That 500 mark is as much mental as anything (at least it was for me).

Awesome effort.

[quote]Joweeee wrote:
1-23-11 Squats

Squats *60 LB Bar
10xBar
6x150
4x240
2x330
1x420
1x450
1x490 +15 LB PR
1x510 +35 LB PR

8xBar
8x95
8x95

That’s it. Was late for church but after that squatting I didn’t feel like doing that much more anyway. Finally broke that 500 mark on squats! :slight_smile: I got a video and I’ll link it later after scott uploads it. Going to back off the intensity on the squats for a lil while probably. Gotta get the deadlift movin up now.[/quote]

Atta way Joweeee, hit 500, go to Church and thank the Maker that you didnt get crushed haha. Well done.

Nice work fellas. Looks like the new environment is treating you well.

Thanks guys. :slight_smile: It felt pretty good to break 500.

Here is the 510:

Well, that looked fast and relatively easy. Great progress.

Way to go, Jowee!

That certainly didn’t look like a max! I love the commentary on your vids.

overhead press’n day without the press’n. i’ve been having some nagging shoulder pain. it’s more of an annoyance than anything so i’ve decided to run a shoulder cycle without any actual pressing. this is what i did last night.

dumbell cleans (seated)

20’s x 20
30’s x 20
40’s x 20

drop set starting at 40’s down to 20’s x 20 each set

one arm strict lateral raises

20’s x 10
30’s x 10
40’s x 10

drop set with each weight for 10

face pulls

some x a lot