Slang and Expressions

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
Apparently the word “Mad” is NYC though more Queens specific thing, which I didn’t know till recently. Mad is pretty much used as an adjective synonymous with very or extremely here.
[/quote]

Yeah, since I moved to NYC, I hear that so much and I am finally getting used to it.

“Damn man, it’s mad cold out!”

I still think it sounds slightly idiotic. There are also some Southern terms I have no idea about when people say them.

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
Ever hear anyone say “fixin” as in, I’m fixin’ to go to the gym?[/quote]

Only every day when I lived in Alabama. Also heard “usetacould” a lot, as in “I can’t dunk a basketball, but I usetacould”.

Some conversations I hear in the Bay Area are no longer comprehensible. This site has a list of words I hear daily:

http://www.riceplate.com/rap/rap.php

[quote]PharmD Pete wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Who really says “you all”? Why even take the extra time?

Yeah, like it really takes a lot of extra time and effort to say you all. [/quote]

It’s like saying, “Hey guys, how is it going?!” instead of, “wussup?”. It is a waste of oxygen. I believe our language should become more economic over time.

Hehe, That SODA map is pretty cool. It’s accurate, since everyone here (Hawaii) says soda.

Hawaii is interesting because we have people from all over the place who move here, visit, or are stationed(military) here. If you listen closely, you can hear many of the terms that YOU GUYS have mentioned. Though, I have never heard teh term bubbler.

We also have something here called Pidgin English. Which is English with a whole lot of different words from other languages and manipulations of english words that sort of evolved from people trying to communicate when neither of them had a good grasp on the language in the first place.

http://www.hisurf.com/Pidgin.html

In England the slang is somewhat different tho the kids tend to borrow a lot of language from MTV.

I dont mind it so much but I HATE the term bananas. wtf? “Man that shit was bananas!”. Couldnt you bother to think of anything else? But I digress.

Cockney rhyming slang isnt used heavily but theres still a lot of it around:

“On your jones” - Jack Jones - alone.
“Its gone a bit Pete Tong” - Pete Tong - wrong
“Guv/Guv’nor” - Sir (usually when you buy a newspaper or something “Cheers guv”

Most (99%) of the kebab shop owners will refer to you as boss. “You want salad boss?”. Whether thats an eastern european thing is beyond me.

[quote]larryb wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
My sis in law in GA calls a shopping cart a 'buggy’while I call is a cart. But here in TX ppl call them baskets.

I’m guessing they call the baskets “handbaskets” then?[/quote]

That would be correct.

I’m from CT so all these other phrases and stuff totally drive me nuts.

I nearly went into hysterics the first time I heard a person say “I used to could…” The woman had brain cancer, however, so I did my best to restrain myself.

I find myself saying “fixin’ to” entirely too often. And while “y’all” was already part of my vernacular (dad’s form the south), it’s become even moreso in the last 8 years. I used to say “you guys” much more than I do now.

[quote]swivel wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
derek wrote:
My cuzins from PA… Hoagie =
submarine sandwhich

Here a hoagie/sub is also know as a po-boy, or poor-boy in some places.

we call them grinders.
[/quote]

Yes! Grinder, baby. Toasted, thank you. I got weird looks when I said the word “grinder” here in Texas. Never said it in public again.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PharmD Pete wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Yeah, like it really takes a lot of extra time and effort to say you all.

It’s like saying, “Hey guys, how is it going?!” instead of, “wussup?”. It is a waste of oxygen. I believe our language should become more economic over time.
[/quote]

Until we revert back to different pitched grunts?

[quote]bluebear wrote:
I also assume all the pregant 15 years old can be refered to as 'got ‘er done’ ??[/quote]

Classic.

[quote]perseng wrote:
Professor X wrote:
PharmD Pete wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Until we revert back to different pitched grunts?

[/quote]

It’s better than those long winded speeches they give during graduations. Grunt and give me my damn diploma. I have dated a few women who simply would not shut up…EVER. I wish to all that is good they would have shut the fuck up every once in a while and simply grunted a response.

Do you realize just how much oxygen is being wasted on this planet due to lame discussions about some bitch your girl hates at work or how “they” are out to get her? “What are you thinking?” Not a Gawdamn thing! I was just sitting here trying to pass a silent fart and now you want me to think about shit?!

Excuse me, I got carried away there for a second.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PharmD Pete wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Language changes constantly over the decades but are we sacrificing eloquence for the sake of speed? Are we foregoing accuracy and descriptiveness simply so we can shorten the time taken to produce a sentence?

And what do we do with all that free time we now have, obviously we don’t use it to listen, there’s no need, there’s nothing to listen to, our sentences are a short assembly of lip curls and facial contortions, to save time.

Shit! How are going to post here in a few years time? A series of smiley faces no doubt. :wink:

[quote]perseng wrote:
Professor X wrote:
PharmD Pete wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Until we revert back to different pitched grunts?[/quote]

“wussup” is generally shortened to “'sup”, so we’re getting close.

[quote]duece wrote:
Since recently moving to Oklahoma I’ve heard many new slang terms and over used expressions that I haven’t heard as much in other places.

‘buggy’[/quote]
Eveyone I know here says, shopping cart.

This statement is just ignert. Learn the proper spelling of the word. :wink:

This is not an Oklahoma phrase. This is a comedian’s phrase

[quote]duece wrote:
I will bitch slap Larry the Cable Guy id I ever meet that ignorant redneck.
quote]

Funny thing is, he was born in Omaha, Nebraska and moved to West Palm Beach, FL as a kid. Neither place has that thick redneck accent…

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
Everywhere I’ve lived in Canada, we call ‘toques’ (pronounced two-ks) what an American would call a beanie.

Here is a shitload of ‘Canadian English’:

Personally, I have relatives that call a couch a chesterfield, but that one doesn’t seem too common where I’m from.[/quote]

I went to high school in Canada and a lot of those Canadian slang terms were used.

At first I used to get confused then by the end of my senior year I was used to everything.

‘Hydro’ really confused me at first. "

Them: The hydro got shut off.
Me: Oh that sucks, so you weren’t able to take showers, that must’ve sucked.

And Timbits, fuck man, I’ll call em Timbits til the day I die. Those things are the shit.

And Tim Hortons in general is the shit.

When I was first in Canada it would go like this:

Them: I’m goin to Tim’s you want anything?
Me: Ummm, what does Tim have at his house that I would want?

Then by the end it would go like this:

Them: I’m goin to Tim’s you want anything?
Me: Double-double and a fruit explosion.

But one thing I will never understand about Canadians is that they say “zed” for the letter ‘z’. What the fuck is “zed”? It sounds like some sort of villan out of a Superman comic. Like Professor Zed. I do NOT get it. Maybe you can explain.

Pittsburghese is a language all its own.

The accent itself is a thing of beauty.

Also, I’ve lately begun to use the phrase “smack it down” when referring to bangin a girl. Witness:

Guy A: So, I went out with “insert girl’s name here” last night.
Guy B: You smack it down?
Guy A: No, she’s saving herself for Big Ben.

[quote]duece wrote:
Since recently moving to Oklahoma I’ve heard many new slang terms and over used expressions that I haven’t heard as much in other places.

Such as;

Calling a shopping cart a ‘buggy’

Overusing the word ‘ignorant’ to describe just about any situation.

Git-Er-Done, Seriously, do you really have to say it all the time? At a restaurant the other night, the waitress asked the next table if he wanted another Dr. Pepper and he said “git-er-done” aarrrrgghh. I will bitch slap Larry the Cable Guy id I ever meet that ignorant redneck.

That’s all I can think of off hand. What does everyone else hear or use all the time?[/quote]

I worked with an Okie who informed us that when it is raining and the sun is shining “then the devil is beating his wife”

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
But one thing I will never understand about Canadians is that they say “zed” for the letter ‘z’. What the fuck is “zed”? It sounds like some sort of villan out of a Superman comic. Like Professor Zed. I do NOT get it. Maybe you can explain.[/quote]

“Zed” is the french pronunciation of the letter Z. It probably got “borrowed” somewhere in the mingling of the two cultures. It’s also a villain in Pulp Fiction… “Zed’s dead, bady, Zed’s dead.” :slight_smile:

And you didn’t explain that “hydro” actually refers to the electrical power, not the aqueduct systems. From the crown corporations Hydro-Ontario and Hydro-Québec that run electrical production and distribution.

pookie, I’m originally from Buffalo, NY - less than 45 minutes from Niagara Falls. NF is probably the biggest source of “hydro” power in the world. And I had never heard the term hydro to describe electricity until I went to Canada.