Slang and Expressions

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Oh freaken A I have heard all of those daily!!

I’m from DC…I now live in SC, yea that was a transition!

Crayon is a Crown
Soda is a coke (even if its sprite)
A shopping cart is a buggy
Get’er done is everywhere (so are pregant 15 year olds)
Anything large is a big’en
you all is y’all or y’alls
A library is a brary
and oh so many more![/quote]

Here, it’s, “Y’all go get a buggy, I’m gonna get a Coke.”

[quote]flcroc wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Crayon is a Crown
A library is a brary
and oh so many more!

Here, it’s, “Y’all go get a buggy, I’m gonna get a Coke.”
[/quote]

By buggy, do you perchance mean a shopping trolley ?

Here - coke is coke and sprite is sprite. However I know in south africa every ‘soda’ can be approximated to ‘cold drink’

people ask if you want a ‘cold drink’ and you’ll just get whatever they’re drinking if you say yes.

RFN - I like it - may just have to start using instead of ASAP.

I also assume all the pregant 15 years old can be refered to as 'got ‘er done’ ??

[quote]chewie wrote:
I heard the word hyphe (high-fee) in California. I have no idea what it means.[/quote]

Hyper + fly = hyphe.

[quote]doogie wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Crayon is a Crown
A library is a brary
and oh so many more!

Yall is better than saying you guys. Coke sounds better than saying soda or pop. (I fucking hated that when I went to Montana)

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html[/quote]

That’s a cool ass map!

[quote]PGJ wrote:

Totally unrelated: taking a dump is “droping a deuce-bomb”.

[/quote]

I was at a party where there was a guy from Mexico who didn’t speak much english. A friend of mine was able to speak enough spanish to tell this guy that “Drop a Deuce” means to take a leak. Over the course of that night, I heard him tell three different people that he was going to drop a deuce.

In QC, a pop is a soft drink, or in french, a liqueur, even when it’s boozeless (in fact, if it has booze, it isnt’ called that). The first time I was walking past a fast food restaurant, I saw a sign saying something like “2 Hot dogs + Frites(fries) + liquer – 4.95”

I thought that was a great deal until I went in and discovered what liqueur meant to them.

Here in Australia, chickens are often called chooks, anything with drinking involved seems to be called a piss-up, and everyone says “How you going?” instead of doing.

Everywhere I’ve lived in Canada, we call ‘toques’ (pronounced two-ks) what an American would call a beanie.

Here is a shitload of ‘Canadian English’:

Personally, I have relatives that call a couch a chesterfield, but that one doesn’t seem too common where I’m from.

I can listen to my sons rap music and have no idea what the hell they’re saying. Mizzle shizzle shit. Good beats but hard to sing along too…

Anyway, I reckon if you’re not an Aussie and you listen to 2 Aussies talking, it’d sound nothing like English at all.

Here’s a run down of some Aussie slang - (Like, budgies tongue… )

http://www.kevinbloodywilson.com/aussie-slang/

[quote]duke wrote:
I can listen to my sons rap music and have no idea what the hell they’re saying. Mizzle shizzle shit. Good beats but hard to sing along too…

Anyway, I reckon if you’re not an Aussie and you listen to 2 Aussies talking, it’d sound nothing like English at all.

Here’s a run down of some Aussie slang - (Like, budgies tongue… )

http://www.kevinbloodywilson.com/aussie-slang/ [/quote]

Kevin Bloody Wilson’s songs are hilarious, especially “Cum Chin, me Girlfriend.”

I abso-freakin-lutely HATE when people say “hella” as in “He’s hella strong” or that Chevy Nova is hella fast". It hurts my brain because it’s not even saving time. Who starts this crap?

My cuzins from PA… Hoagie =
submarine sandwhich

Pie = pizza

sofa/couch/divan

pop/cola/coke/soda, these I understand. But hella?

[quote]derek wrote:
submarine sandwhich

[/quote]

Here, a hoagie/sub is also known as a po-boy, (or poor-boy in some places.)

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
derek wrote:
submarine sandwhich

Here a hoagie/sub is also know as a po-boy, or poor-boy in some places.
[/quote]

we call them grinders.

Apparently the word “Mad” is NYC though more Queens specific thing, which I didn’t know till recently. Mad is pretty much used as an adjective synonymous with very or extremely here.

Try the following link to find out what the def. of “RFN” and “grip” really is.

[quote]derek wrote:
I abso-freakin-lutely HATE when people say “hella” as in “He’s hella strong” or that Chevy Nova is hella fast". It hurts my brain because it’s not even saving time. Who starts this crap?

submarine sandwhich

Pie = pizza

sofa/couch/divan

pop/cola/coke/soda, these I understand. But hella? [/quote]

Hella, and Git er done are two of the worst IMO.

Also, sometimes someone can pull off certain slang, and sometimes it just sounds stupid coming from someone else…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Who really says “you all”? Why even take the extra time?[/quote]

Yeah, like it really takes a lot of extra time and effort to say you all.

i had a buddy from buffalo, new york… he took me to a local hotdog/fries joint…

they called the chili dogs - shit canoes
and the fries - bag o’grease… because they put vinegar on the fries which are served in a brown paper bag

an order went like this…

“yo, let me have two shit-canoes and a bag o’grease!”

unrelated subject…

i also grew up in orlando, but moved to alabama when i was 17…

the “country folk” celebrated robert e. lee’s birthday, instead of martin luther king day…
and it took me a week to figure out that when they were saying “icehole” they were actually saying “asshole”…

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
Personally, I have relatives that call a couch a chesterfield, but that one doesn’t seem too common where I’m from.[/quote]

When I was a kid, the old folks called a couch a “davenport”.

[quote]swivel wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
derek wrote:
submarine sandwhich

Here a hoagie/sub is also know as a po-boy, or poor-boy in some places.

we call them grinders.
[/quote]

Here in Philly, grinders are hot, hoagies are cold, cheesesteaks are sacred, and there’s no such thing as a sub.

And that’s what makes this city so beautiful.

Ever hear anyone say “fixin” as in, I’m fixin’ to go to the gym? Some people still refer to a refrigerator as an “icebox” and yes, soft drinks are refered to as “pop”. Beer is still pronounced “beer” though. Just a little FYI from the sooner state.