T Nation

Slang and Expressions

Since recently moving to Oklahoma I’ve heard many new slang terms and over used expressions that I haven’t heard as much in other places.

Such as;

Calling a shopping cart a ‘buggy’

Overusing the word ‘ignorant’ to describe just about any situation.

Git-Er-Done, Seriously, do you really have to say it all the time? At a restaurant the other night, the waitress asked the next table if he wanted another Dr. Pepper and he said “git-er-done” aarrrrgghh. I will bitch slap Larry the Cable Guy id I ever meet that ignorant redneck.

That’s all I can think of off hand. What does everyone else hear or use all the time?

My sis in law in GA calls a shopping cart a 'buggy’while I call is a cart. But here in TX ppl call them baskets.

Git-er-done needs to die. I HATE that phrase.

In Wisconsin we call (at least in the southeastern portion) a drinking fountain a bubbler.

My wife gives me shit all the time, telling how stupid that is because it doesn’t actually bubble.

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:
In Wisconsin we call (at least in the southeastern portion) a drinking fountain a bubbler.

My wife gives me shit all the time, telling how stupid that is because it doesn’t actually bubble.[/quote]

My wife pronounces the word crayon as “crown”.

Totally unrelated: taking a dump is “droping a deuce-bomb”.

We all know what ASAP is, how about RFN?

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
My sis in law in GA calls a shopping cart a 'buggy’while I call is a cart. But here in TX ppl call them baskets.

Git-er-done needs to die. I HATE that phrase.[/quote]

Larry the Cable Guy gets less and less funny every time I hear him.

I heard the word hyphe (high-fee) in California. I have no idea what it means.

I grew up in the northeast and bubbler was used there too, at least where I was. I’m gonna guess RFN is “right fucking now!”

Touron - Tourist/Moron
In my part of the country we have a tremendous amount of these folks.

When I moved to Alabama from Michigan, I was amazed to read an article in the local paper that was all about a “busted fire hydrant”. And this was in a college town. If you use “busted” to mean “broken” in Michigan, people will assume you’re a hick.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
My sis in law in GA calls a shopping cart a 'buggy’while I call is a cart. But here in TX ppl call them baskets.[/quote]

I’m guessing they call the baskets “handbaskets” then?

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:

My wife gives me shit all the time, telling how stupid that is because it doesn’t actually bubble.[/quote]

I’m from the Northshore of MA, and we say bubbler. Also overusing ignorant is pretty widespread, I’ve heard it in both the Northeast and while in California.

up here in bc, canada, calling shopping carts buggies is just the way it goes. I work at a grocery store and every now and then someone has to go out to check on the buggies, no one says go check on the shopping carts or baskets

[quote]larryb wrote:
When I moved to Alabama from Michigan, I was amazed to read an article in the local paper that was all about a “busted fire hydrant”. And this was in a college town. If you use “busted” to mean “broken” in Michigan, people will assume you’re a hick.[/quote]

They might have a newspaper, but they’re still hicks.

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:

I think that term is kind of dated. It seems to me the only people that use that word are older people. No one I grew up with ever said bubbler.

My friend from Oklahoma uses the word “grip” in reference to money.

e.g. “I’m a little short on grip right now man.”

Oh freaken A I have heard all of those daily!!

I’m from DC…I now live in SC, yea that was a transition!

Crayon is a Crown
Soda is a coke (even if its sprite)
A shopping cart is a buggy
Get’er done is everywhere (so are pregant 15 year olds)
Anything large is a big’en
you all is y’all or y’alls
A library is a brary
and oh so many more!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

Crayon is a Crown
A library is a brary
and oh so many more![/quote]

Yall is better than saying you guys. Coke sounds better than saying soda or pop. (I fucking hated that when I went to Montana)

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:

Yall is better than saying you guys.

[/quote]
Definitely. “You guys” sounds gay.

[quote]
Coke sounds better than saying soda or pop. (I fucking hated that when I went to Montana)[/quote]

Where I’m from in Virginia, we call it a “drink” regardless of alcohol content.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

Crayon is a Crown
A library is a brary
and oh so many more![/quote]

Who really says “you all”? Why even take the extra time?

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Crayon is a Crown
A library is a brary
and oh so many more!

Yall is better than saying you guys. Coke sounds better than saying soda or pop. (I fucking hated that when I went to Montana)[/quote]

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html