Size vs Aesthetics

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:
I always root for the little guy.

[/quote]

Yeah but not THAT little guy at the '81 Olympia.
Should have been THIS little guy… Danny Padilla.
[/quote]

Arguably. Both looked good at that Olympia. [/quote]

Franco had shapeless sausage legs at the '81 O, and a nasty bitch tit.
No way he should have been in the top 5. This is generally accepted as truth by almost everyone… except Franco. LOL[/quote]

I’m with you, CLUNK. Even at his best, Franco’s physique had some significant flaws–bow-legged, split chest, short biceps…IMO, one of the least aesthetic physiques to hoist the Sandow.[/quote]

I agree. However, I will credit him with his hard work for overcoming a less than perfect starting point.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:
Let’s just agree to disagree on Columbu. I see something that apparently the judges did too. But my opinion of his isn’t necessarily the most unbiased one. [/quote]

Speaking of bias, several personal friends of Franco’s were judges that night (1981).

BTW, Franco was my idol when I started lifting as a teen. I still have his 2 books!
[/quote]

Mine too. Him and Arnold. Which is why I have a hard time accepting some of those statements. I liked him more than most because he was more than just one of the great bodybuilders in his time, but an elite strength athelete too. He by far was the strongest pound for pound IFBB pro of his time.

[quote]Steez wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:
Let’s just agree to disagree on Columbu. I see something that apparently the judges did too. But my opinion of his isn’t necessarily the most unbiased one. [/quote]

Speaking of bias, several personal friends of Franco’s were judges that night (1981).

BTW, Franco was my idol when I started lifting as a teen. I still have his 2 books!
[/quote]

Mine too. Him and Arnold. Which is why I have a hard time accepting some of those statements. I liked him more than most because he was more than just one of the great bodybuilders in his time, but an elite strength athelete too. He by far was the strongest pound for pound IFBB pro of his time.
[/quote]

Same reasons I liked him!

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sweet man! At least we agree on something lol. He could fly with that lat spread of his.

[quote]Steez wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Steez wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sweet man! At least we agree on something lol. He could fly with that lat spread of his.
[/quote]

That’s what Danny said in Pumping Iron. LOL

Yep. One of the best set of lats ever. His lats are so long, they crowd out his erectors…And has anyone ever had such thick lower lats?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Yep. One of the best set of lats ever. His lats are so long, they crowd out his erectors…And has anyone ever had such thick lower lats? [/quote]

Jesus they look like they’re almost attached to his hips. Insane lats.

I though his split chest was an advantage, in Arnold’s book, he features it that way too. In pictures when they are side by side I find him more impressive than Arnold, but people who were at those competitions never did. Which tells me that there is a big difference between pictures and what you see in person.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Yep. One of the best set of lats ever. His lats are so long, they crowd out his erectors…And has anyone ever had such thick lower lats? [/quote]

Kai Greene’s is pretty close!

[quote]tuttle wrote:
I though his split chest was an advantage, in Arnold’s book, he features it that way too. In pictures when they are side by side I find him more impressive than Arnold, but people who were at those competitions never did. Which tells me that there is a big difference between pictures and what you see in person.[/quote]

“A good big man will beat a good little man every time”

S

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Damn! Yeah Kai is known for having a big set of lats as well. Although, his physique never appealed to me.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

True. Another set of lats with freaky length/lower thickness. But dat gut…

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

True. Another set of lats with freaky length/lower thickness. But dat gut…
[/quote]

It’s gross. I hate seeing it when there struting around inbetween poses with their abs relaxed. Acting all gansta with their bellies distented.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]tuttle wrote:
I though his split chest was an advantage, in Arnold’s book, he features it that way too. In pictures when they are side by side I find him more impressive than Arnold, but people who were at those competitions never did. Which tells me that there is a big difference between pictures and what you see in person.[/quote]

“A good big man will beat a good little man every time”

S[/quote]

Sadly, that was not the case at the '81 Olympia.
In fact, a BAD small man beat numerous big men! lol

Boyer Coe says that people who were not there (or in the event, or even alive) get more worked up about 1980 and 1981 than people who were. That said people on here disagree with me, but the idea seems to be that Coe should’ve won in 1980.

Stardom had size and aesthetics.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Sure did. Lol Vince McMahon. I remember when Stone Cold used to beat the shit out of him every week.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Strydom was great, but got much better after he retired.

Aesthetic guys are still bodybuilders and train in a similar fashion.

The only difference from a training standpoint may be that SOME bodybuilders focus more on heavy compound movements to get size/strength in correlation with their elevated food intake and drug regiments (if they’re not natural athletes that is).

Lots of aesthetic guys are simply bodybuilders, but with different genetic frames (taller/ectomorphic).

I’ve seen some very impressive physiques from guys who include athletic components in their training or happen to play certain sports (obviously not endurance sports unless one considers the skinny hipster as aesthetic) and cross train in the weight room.

So any newbie out there going for that look should first ask himself how he defines the word and train accordingly.