Simple Plan: Advice and Critiques

Im keeping simple: i just ask for advice and critiques

Goals- Want to lose my love handles and titty fat
measured my waist and im at like 38 when i just let my gut hang. Want to get lean before i pack on some lean muscle…

Going to Iraq in April 09 which means crapload of Gym Time-want to pack on size during deployment hopefully with little to no fat.

Workouts: weights: (heaviest weight that will allow proper form and 20-15 reps 3-4 sets) - Abs: (circuit, hitting upper abs, lower, transverse, obliques and lower back)
Interval training example

A1 treadmill 2 min run speed 1 min sprint x2 = 6 min no rest then A2. pullups A3. single arm row A4. lat pull downs A5.hanging knee raises

B1 stationary bike 2 min regular pace, 1 min sprinting x2 = 6min B2. barbell curls B3. Concentration curls B4. Single arm cable curls B5. medicine ball decline trunk twists

C1. Elliptical/Stair climber 2 min regular pace 1 min sprint x2 = 6 min. C2. Cable Rows C3. Hammer Curls
C4. Bent over rows barbell C5. Swiss ball curl ins C6. Back extensions C7. side crunches

Mon- 0630 am - 3mile run
330 pm - back-bi’s-abs
Tues- 330 pm interval training-chest and tri’s
Wed 0630 am 3 mile run
330 pm shoulders traps, Abs
Thurs-330 pm interval training chest-tri’s
Fri - 630 am 3 mile run
330 Abs bi’s back

Meals - meal 1 - 3 egg white 1 whole egg omlet w/ half a green pepper two slices of wheat bread 1 slice of fat free cheese and slice of turkey

meal 2 - 2 slices of bread 3 teaspoons of peanut butter half a tblsp of sugar free jam

meal 3 - 8 ounces of chicken breast 1 cup cooked brown rice apple

meal 4- slices whole wheat 3 slices turkey 1 slice fat free cheese

meal 5- same as meal 3 with some veggs

meal 6- egg sandwich ( 2 slices whole wheat, fat free cheese , 1 slice of turkey apple)

pre workout: one scoop of whey protein
post workout: 2 scoops whey protein

Hopefully on payday I will be getting HOT-ROX
Might submit pics!

looks like a decent plan. Replacing one of the runs with a session of sprinting 400s or 200s (about 8 in 45 mins) will speed up the fat loss.

I’d check out the military t-cell if you haven’t already.

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
looks like a decent plan. Replacing one of the runs with a session of sprinting 400s or 200s (about 8 in 45 mins) will speed up the fat loss.

I’d check out the military t-cell if you haven’t already.[/quote]

Looks good however just got done doing some chest tri’s and abs and i had to do two circuits

10 pullups-20 barbell curls-hanging leg raises
single arm dumbell rows, hammer curls, swiss ball curl in,
seated cable rows-concentration curls-40 decline trunk twists with medcine ball
cable single arm curls,back extensions, side bends

I did this twice without resting the only rest was going from machine or station.

i was fatigued but not as tired as i thought but i could hardly move my arm…

I think i will try the sprints, i dont have a track around so i might spray paint some lines on the street and run that…maybe map it out with my car. do you mean 400m and 200m then jog it out and repeat until i hit 8.?

You should probably mix up exercises more and include some more lower body exercises in your circuits. Think thrusters, bw or bb squats, cleans, deadlifts, walking lunges, etc. Cut the weight but do them.

I think that will be more effective for total growth hormone release/lactic acid production, not to mention a whole lot harder. Cycling through 3 different curl movements is a waste of time and won’t be as intense/effective as doing curls/a big lower body movement/pull ups/cardio machine.

It might be a good idea to find a park or a track somewhere to run sprints, instead of spray painting lines in the street.

Check out some of the Staley’s EDT articles too if you like training like that.

Otherwise I think it is a good approach. I’d cut down on some of the bread in your diet too in favor of a lot more veggies and some fruits.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
You should probably mix up exercises more and include some more lower body exercises in your circuits. Think thrusters, bw or bb squats, cleans, deadlifts, walking lunges, etc. Cut the weight but do them.

I think that will be more effective for total growth hormone release/lactic acid production, not to mention a whole lot harder. Cycling through 3 different curl movements is a waste of time and won’t be as intense/effective as doing curls/a big lower body movement/pull ups/cardio machine.

It might be a good idea to find a park or a track somewhere to run sprints, instead of spray painting lines in the street.

Check out some of the Staley’s EDT articles too if you like training like that.

Otherwise I think it is a good approach. I’d cut down on some of the bread in your diet too in favor of a lot more veggies and some fruits. [/quote]

I hear you on the lower body, so i might hit the blue prints again and include some lower body excercises, but i think i will keep at least two interval training excercises after all its only about 12 minutes( cant hurt)

Well i was going to paint more of a small line to indicate sprint, then another line indicating jog for one mile out.

That way i jog, sprint,jog, sprint, and so on… Until i hit one mile then do it again on the way back…or at least thats the plan.

can i find those Staleys EDT aricles on T-Nation

The bread - that is a short time fix, i wanted to start blending some shakes to include oatmeal , pnut butter some fruit…since i dropped the bread for some oatmeal I might drop some rice for veggies

My next question is when is it better to eat starchy carbs such as rice and oatmeal vice veggies and Vice Versa?

We have free personal trainer access on base but Im not sure if this guy is knowledgeable. Not that i have heard negative but i have already asked for his help. Does anyone know what i should look for. I ask because i dont want this guy to treat me like its my first time in the gym.

[quote]Chicharon wrote:
Cprimero wrote:

I’d check out the military t-cell if you haven’t already.

Looks good however just got done doing some chest tri’s and abs and i had to do two circuits

10 pullups-20 barbell curls-hanging leg raises
single arm dumbell rows, hammer curls, swiss ball curl in, seated cable rows-concentration curls-40 decline trunk twists with medcine ball
cable single arm curls,back extensions, side bends

I did this twice without resting the only rest was going from machine or station.

i was fatigued but not as tired as i thought but i could hardly move my arm…

I think i will try the sprints, i dont have a track around so i might spray paint some lines on the street and run that…maybe map it out with my car. do you mean 400m and 200m then jog it out and repeat until i hit 8.?[/quote]

Pretty much, yes ie. sprint 400m rest 3-5 mins and repeat 7 times. I would recommend sitting down or walking between “reps” over jogging as you want to recover between reps to preserve intensity.

If you do jog do it very slowly as you’ll get pretty winded from about rep 4-5 onwards.

Experiment for the first couple of weeks to see which distance your body responds best to, usually its 400s.

Also when doing the 400s hold back quite a bit on the first 200 so as not fade out on the final strait.

CP

if you’re serious about dropping some fat, spend a few bucks on Alwyn Cosgrove’s Afterburn.

If you want to try to recreate what he’s developed over years of diligent research, I’d start but cutting any type of bicep curl out of interval training. Replace it with some squats, or lunges, or deadlifts, or cleans or pushups.

There’s no such thing as a body part split, if you’re looking to lose fat.

And that should be your goal, to lose fat. You’ll be shocked at what muscle appears below that gut if you lose it doing a rigorous resistance training program.

Good advice above. You should also check out crossfit.com. The crossfit program has a lot of workouts similar to what you want.

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
if you’re serious about dropping some fat, spend a few bucks on Alwyn Cosgrove’s Afterburn.

I will look into this.

If you want to try to recreate what he’s developed over years of diligent research, I’d start but cutting any type of bicep curl out of interval training. Replace it with some squats, or lunges, or deadlifts, or cleans or pushups.

So safe to say I should find some type of whole body training that involves upper and lower body excercises (is this what you would refer to as compund type of excercise)

There’s no such thing as a body part split, if you’re looking to lose fat.

And that should be your goal, to lose fat. You’ll be shocked at what muscle appears below that gut if you lose it doing a rigorous resistance training program.[/quote]

By rigorous you mean with heavy weight?

Should i go with a burn out type of excercise?

Should I do the Cardio between sets, i think this helps me get the cardio in for the day.

I’m not familiar with Cosgrove’s afterburn. You will probably have to go lighter if you are cutting rest periods. You should still keep the weight relatively heavy so you don’t lose muscle.

Cardio between sets is fine as a form of active recovery. You still keep your heart rate up, but can still recover for the next round of the circuit.

Usually, if you keep the rest periods short enough and the circuits intense enough, you probably shouldn’t have to worry about keeping your heart rate up as you recover.

The option I personally prefer, is to do the slow cardio after a hard circuit/lactate session. That kind of training frees a lot of stored fat into the bloodstream for use as energy and some oxidative energy systems work will help to burn some of that freed fat after your circuit workout.

It also helps if you are running short on time, as you still get your hard work in for the day and add or subtract the slow cardio depending on how long you want to be in the gym.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
I’m not familiar with Cosgrove’s afterburn. You will probably have to go lighter if you are cutting rest periods. You should still keep the weight relatively heavy so you don’t lose muscle.

Cardio between sets is fine as a form of active recovery. You still keep your heart rate up, but can still recover for the next round of the circuit.

Usually, if you keep the rest periods short enough and the circuits intense enough, you probably shouldn’t have to worry about keeping your heart rate up as you recover.

The option I personally prefer, is to do the slow cardio after a hard circuit/lactate session. That kind of training frees a lot of stored fat into the bloodstream for use as energy and some oxidative energy systems work will help to burn some of that freed fat after your circuit workout.

It also helps if you are running short on time, as you still get your hard work in for the day and add or subtract the slow cardio depending on how long you want to be in the gym. [/quote]

So what you are saying something like walking might be good as well after a workout.