Shit from Friends?

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
ahzaz wrote:
Synthetickiller wrote:
Artem wrote:
ahzaz wrote:
As for the alcohol, I didnt even get drunk or even tipsy. I was fine, i just wanted to try it. The weed i dont even over do, i smoked about 4 times in the past week, but counted only 3 caus the first one i hardly got any smoke in so it didnt count and i didnt get high. I think the biggest issue is that the people at my school are “stright-edge” or whatever it means when you dont do a lot of bad stuff. Most of my friends are like that too, so when i do something, they seem to get mad.

As for the lying, it doesnt mean im ashamed of it. I could go up to everyone on the next school day and be like “I SMOKE WEEED AND DRINKKKK AND MADE OUT WITH A GIRL” but whats the point? I just dont want more shit from people. My friend (who i smoked with 3/4 times) is a fairly regular smoker, so when he and his friend smoked for the first time everyone knew, and treated them like shit. I just didnt want that happenning to me. Its like next time i go out with someone theyre gonna get mad at me for it too.

And for smoking cigs, i will never smoke cigs. Its the one thing i told myself i’d never do in my life. I dont even get the point of cigs, and one or 2 of my friends that smoked them before told me theyre useless, all they do is give ur body satisfaction but you dont feel anything. I’d rather go get hhhiiiiggghhhhhhhhhh

Straight edge hardXXcoar kids are fucking homos.
And hold that smoke in longer.

You have something to prove?

That’s cute, now grow up. :slight_smile:

Was that directed towards me? If it was thats what i meant by i had to lie because people might take my curiousity into thinking im trying to prove something.

Nope. The guy putting down people for choosing not to do drugs. [/quote]

I’m ripping on “Hardcore” kids. Urbandictionary it. They’re these guys that draw Xs on their hands and go around preaching a “no drugs, no alcohol, no promiscuous activities” shit. I wasn’t talking about Ecstasy haha…

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
You have to realize that most of those people who are adamantly against doing “that stuff” will be partaking of it by the time they are juniors or seniors in high school.

In my experience, the ones who are completely against it earlier in life, become the biggest addicts later. People who started off with a so-so attitude towards drugs and alcohol, keep it that way.

I agree. I remember I had a friend in 8th grade who stopped hanging out with me because I took a drag off a cigarette, and she thought I was disgusting for it. By senior year, she was high every weekend and used to come to school still drunk sometimes.

Another girl I knew gave me a lecture about morals and told me she couldn’t be seen with someone who was such a “slut” because I made out with a guy at a party junior year. She now has 3 kids by 3 different men…

I’m not saying it happens with everybody, but the ones who bitch and scream about something the loudest usually end up being the biggest damn hypocrites.[/quote]
so true
That’s wonderful.

If your friends are straight edge and annoying and I’m assuming you aren’t getting high alone then just hang out with the stoners who wont criticize you for everything you do.

dugg for campo avatar.

oh wait, wrong site.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
You have to realize that most of those people who are adamantly against doing “that stuff” will be partaking of it by the time they are juniors or seniors in high school.

In my experience, the ones who are completely against it earlier in life, become the biggest addicts later. People who started off with a so-so attitude towards drugs and alcohol, keep it that way.[/quote]

Hasn’t happened to me yet - and I’m to be 40 in a couple of years time. Didn’t drink anything until I was 23 (and drink very little today), never smoked, never took any illegal drugs. Was always too busy lifting weights, learning martial arts, learning languages, getting a degree, having girlfriends, meeting people from all around the world, moving abroad, writing for a living, building life-long friendships and developing a satisfying career.

My point? I think consuming substances that affect your brain (and the rest of your body) giving you some form of ‘high’, but may in the long term have harmful effects, is highly overrated as a formative stage in your personal development.

Makkun

[quote]makkun wrote:
My point? I think consuming substances that affect your brain (and the rest of your body) giving you some form of ‘high’, but may in the long term have harmful effects, is highly overrated as a formative stage in your personal development.
[/quote]

I’d really have to agree. If I could go back in time, I would not have done drugs and stayed close friends with those who also did not do drugs. I gained nothing from it, and it only negatively affected my life. I would have graduated from high school, and made that a priority. Then maybe instead of being 27 working on my bachelors, I’d be 27 with my phD. I was too stupid, immature, and inexperienced to realize the idiocy of my choices: I was a kid. I knew all the kids who did drugs & “partied”, and I knew all the “straight edge nerds” who didn’t. Guess who’s on average better off? Guess from which I group I know more people who died?

I may have a bit more “conservative” views on drug use, I think it’s possible to use certain substances safely and responsibly. However, I DO NOT think that a 15 year old is anywhere near mature enough to be using any. At all. So many kids die because of dumb immature choices - driving intoxicated; getting in a car with someone who’s driving intoxicated; leaving some poor kid who overdosed without medical attention because no one wants to call 911, because they either don’t want to get in trouble or are too stupid to determine the seriousness of the situation. And so on.

Heh. :-/

[quote]makkun wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

In my experience, the ones who are completely against it earlier in life, become the biggest addicts later. People who started off with a so-so attitude towards drugs and alcohol, keep it that way.

Hasn’t happened to me yet - and I’m to be 40 in a couple of years time. Didn’t drink anything until I was 23 (and drink very little today), never smoked, never took any illegal drugs. Was always too busy lifting weights, learning martial arts, learning languages, getting a degree, having girlfriends, meeting people from all around the world, moving abroad, writing for a living, building life-long friendships and developing a satisfying career.

Makkun[/quote]
You could have been stoned doing all that stuff. Now how fun would have that been?
My point being, you can’t say something is overrated when you have no experience in it.

[quote]Artem wrote:
[…]You could have been stoned doing all that stuff. Now how fun would have that been?
My point being, you can’t say something is overrated when you have no experience in it.[/quote]

See MarvelGirl’s post above. Surely you can achieve stuff being stoned. You’d just be surprised how many seem to struggle with the combination and end up fucking up their lives. And somehow it’s more the guys that used to party like this who got nowhere, ruined their families, or whom I have visited either in prison or at their grave. Surely that’s just a coincidence.

Most people never hit rock bottom like that - but how do you know that you will be able to handle it? Why take the risk - because someone tells you it’s ghey not to? When your behaviour is governed by peer pressure then you’re truly not on the way to a self-fulfilling future. The decision is all yours - just live with the consequences.

Makkun

There is a huge difference between people who simply choose not to participate in a certain activity and people who spend every spare second of their life judging and bitching about every single choice that those around them make.

I was referring to the latter group, not the former.

[quote]Artem wrote:
[…]You could have been stoned doing all that stuff. Now how fun would have that been?
My point being, you can’t say something is overrated when you have no experience in it.[/quote]

I’m sorry, I just got carried away, so I wanted to answer you more directly - sure I can say it’s overrated even if I haven’t done it. Seeing it close up (and the long-term effects) does the job pretty well.

Makkun

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
There is a huge difference between people who simply choose not to participate in a certain activity and people who spend every spare second of their life judging and bitching about every single choice that those around them make.

I was referring to the latter group, not the former.[/quote]

Good point.

Makkun

Riiiight, because there was NO POSSIBLE WAY, that you could have achieved anything while not partaking in drinking or smoking every once in a while. Goochadmg, that’s your fault. You weren’t disciplined enough to find a medium and achieve in life while being able to drink or smoke. Shut your ass up and stop blaming it on drugs. I smoke and drink occasionally, usually drink on the weekends. I’m still in college studying for a degree in Exercise Science, planning on going into Physical Therapy. I’m not a failure at life. You have to find a medium.

But you’re right, it’s easier to say that it’s the drugs fault than coming to grip with the fact that you weren’t disciplined enough. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Read a book, don’t smoke dope and get your shit together. If you were a grown up you would realize that you are responsible for your own choices and shouldn’t worry about what friends think.

I’m 45 BTW, and I never smoked dope and I was opposed to it as a kid and never became a drunk or an addict. I just thought it was a stupid waste of time. Opposition to an activity does not mean you will become an addict later. it might mean you have some common sense.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I made out with a guy at a party junior year.[/quote]

Was his name Logan?

Did he have adamantium claws?

[quote]makkun wrote:
Artem wrote:
My point being, you can’t say something is overrated when you have no experience in it.

See MarvelGirl’s post above. Surely you can achieve stuff being stoned. You’d just be surprised how many seem to struggle with the combination and end up fucking up their lives. And somehow it’s more the guys that used to party like this who got nowhere, ruined their families, or whom I have visited either in prison or at their grave. Surely that’s just a coincidence.

Most people never hit rock bottom like that - but how do you know that you will be able to handle it? Why take the risk - because someone tells you it’s ghey not to? When your behaviour is governed by peer pressure then you’re truly not on the way to a self-fulfilling future. The decision is all yours - just live with the consequences.

Makkun[/quote]

Simple, don’t let peer pressure influence whether you experiment with drugs or not. I did out of curiosity, I have no problem finding a medium. Hell, I love smoking weed. But I have to get clean for a job over the summer, so I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago. No big deal. Life’s a big balance. Just like how most people on this site balance work, family, and lifting etc. As long as people realize this, they will never have a problem in life.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:
I made out with a guy at a party junior year.

Was his name Logan?

Did he have adamantium claws?[/quote]

Nah, but he did wear these weird red sunglasses all the time. What a freak, lol.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Read a book, don’t smoke dope and get your shit together. If you were a grown up you would realize that you are responsible for your own choices and shouldn’t worry about what friends think.

I’m 45 BTW, and I never smoked dope and I was opposed to it as a kid and never became a drunk or an addict. I just thought it was a stupid waste of time. Opposition to an activity does not mean you will become an addict later. it might mean you have some common sense.[/quote]

Good for you, so you don’t think anyone should smoke weed ever because they won’t get their lives together? How would you know considering you’ve never smoked once in your life? It’s like asking someone who’s never had sex what it’s like.

tom63 wrote:

I’m 45 BTW, and I never smoked dope and I was opposed to it as a kid and never became a drunk or an addict. I just thought it was a stupid waste of time. Opposition to an activity does not mean you will become an addict later. it might mean you have some common sense.

Good for you, so you don’t think anyone should smoke weed ever because they won’t get their lives together? How would you know considering you’ve never smoked once in your life? It’s like asking someone who’s never had sex what it’s like.[/quote]

I know some addicts. I also understand some brain chemistry due to that chiropractor thing. I also have been diagnosed with ADD, like my daughter and have read a great deal on brain function. Real books, not High Times.

I also know that everyone’s brain is different. Marijuana does not have a good effect long term on your brain. It won’t kill you, but you’re kidding yourself if you think you cannot become addicted.

I’ve seen the typical Cheech and Chong wastoids, yes they do exist. And they don’t do crap with their lives. I know this is not everyone who smokes, but some will have this problem.

I’m a grown up with responsibilities, I don’t have time for self indulgent screwing around.

makkun wrote:
Artem wrote:

Makkun

Simple, don’t let peer pressure influence whether you experiment with drugs or not. I did out of curiosity, I have no problem finding a medium. Hell, I love smoking weed. But I have to get clean for a job over the summer, so I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago. No big deal. Life’s a big balance. Just like how most people on this site balance work, family, and lifting etc. As long as people realize this, they will never have a problem in life.[/quote]

Great if you can handle it. No one says you can’t achieve anything with occasional drinking and consuming dope. But let’s bring this back to the OP (16 if I remember correctly) - he asked if his friends who give him a hard time after he lied to them about his ‘experimentation’. The advice ranged from ‘give up your critical friends’ to not smoking weed is ‘ghey’ (I paraphrase). All I pointed out is that you can live through a perfectly happy youth not consuming alcohol or drugs - and without ending up lying to your friends about it. Surely if you have this balanced a view, you can’t disagree with that?

Makkun

[quote]tom63 wrote:
[…]
I know some addicts. I also understand some brain chemistry due to that chiropractor thing. I also have been diagnosed with ADD, like my daughter and have read a great deal on brain function. Real books, not High Times.

I also know that everyone’s brain is different. Marijuana does not have a good effect long term on your brain. It won’t kill you, but you’re kidding yourself if you think you cannot become addicted.

I’ve seen the typical Cheech and Chong wastoids, yes they do exist. And they don’t do crap with their lives. I know this is not everyone who smokes, but some will have this problem.

I’m a grown up with responsibilities, I don’t have time for self indulgent screwing around.[/quote]

Just an observation - do we have a bit of an age gap here? Younger guys, full of enthusiasm convinced that consuming alcohol and drugs can be managed with confidence - and older guys who’ve seen either people who thought that back then and were wrong, or have made the experience themselves? Just wondering whether whether there’s a little bit of an experience gap.

Makkun