Shelby Starnes & Other Prep Coaches – Killing Clients?

I have no knowledge of MMA, but I do enjoy watching it. What is the consensus on whether or not these guys are clean? I’ve heard of a few popping hot when they test, but not much else. I heard years ago that Halo was very popular in the cage.

I’m with you there as well. I think the problem with youth sports is the money in D1 and pro sports - we’ve lost all the value and lessons they’re supposed to teach and what’s left is exactly what you said: either we abuse them into stardom or they took nothing away.
That’s a whole other soapbox for me to get on, though!

1 Like

I don’t know anything about this sport, but (speaking only for myself), I can’t imagine staying “clean” if my paycheck/ ability to provide for my family were on the line.

6 Likes

Plenty use drugs and you can read stories about those who do or did.

Washington Post repeatedly hammering down on the bodybuilding scene.

It seems every few years the media runs out of things to scaremonger about and starts up on steroids again. It’s been happening since Ben Johnson popped at the Olympics.

I kinda remember he had an Indigo Project coaching thing that got cancelled early too, I won’t ask you to comment on that but it’s an interesting foot note for me I suppose. He seemed highly reputable back then

2 Likes

I actually don’t remember what happened with that.

Hah. 14 pounds in about 20 hours is the biggest I’ve done. That was to 175 though. I promised myself I wouldn’t ever do more than that.

2 Likes

Regarding bodybuilders I will only say, if you don’t know as much as possible about what you take, you should find out rather than rely on others. If that is your business, you should know and understand the risks.

Regarding TRT, sadly too many increase the dose instead of increasing the effort and are dumbfounded when the side effects show up and they’re not jacked.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there are so many people that overestimate their understanding of a topic. Training and AAS seem especially prone to this effect (called Dunning Krueger effect).

One can observe this in the pharma section here. Super common for a person to say they’ve done their research, or even extensive research, but have a very surface level understanding.

It seems to me, that it’s very common for someone to do around 10 hours of total research before they will claim they’ve done their research. It’s reading steroid profiles, perhaps a few threads on Reddit, maybe a few here. It seems the guys that really know their stuff have spent hundreds of hours (perhaps thousands) researching and thinking critically about it. Their research is scientific papers, discussions with people that know more than they do, figuring out the why, not just the how, along with the other things that one does first (like reading the steroids profile). The latter guys tend to be more conservative with what they are willing to take.

Dude I thought it was “a few years ago” and it was a decade ago. Jesus time just fliiiiies by

3 Likes

Grey area. Some folks just blind follow their coaches. He may not have even told them what they were taking

Most laws regarding this apply when someone “overdoses” on a substance that immediately leads to their death.

Gear does not fit this bill.

An argument could be made for diuretics on this.