Shannon Briggs Hospitalized

[quote]goldengloves wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
How the fuck do you tear a biceps tendon in a boxing match? [/quote]

Have you ever thrown an uppercut?[/quote]

I have. That just seems like a pretty unusual injury for boxing. I was thinking maybe while they were clinching.[/quote]

Bicep injuries aren’t that uncommon, oddly enough I think they’re more common than shoulder injuries.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s not an unusual injury. A very well-known case was when Larry Holmes fought Ken Norton for the vacant heavyweight title. Holmes endured a torn bicep but was able to tough it out and win a hard-fought decision.

go to espn boxing and do a search for that fight. check out the weigh in photos, esp. the one with shannon on the scales giving a front double biceps pose. if shannon’s biceps was not already torn BEFORE the fight, I will dance a jig.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
go to espn boxing and do a search for that fight. check out the weigh in photos, esp. the one with shannon on the scales giving a front double biceps pose. if shannon’s biceps was not already torn BEFORE the fight, I will dance a jig. [/quote]

Damn, I didn’t notice that, his bicep definitely looks torn there.

Even when his arm was relaxed, you can see the lumped muscle.
Briggs reportedly got $500 000 for this match - that’s not much for big heavyweight fight and I definitely think that money weren’t the reason for being too tough for his own good.
I hope the man recovers.

[quote]mldj wrote:

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
go to espn boxing and do a search for that fight. check out the weigh in photos, esp. the one with shannon on the scales giving a front double biceps pose. if shannon’s biceps was not already torn BEFORE the fight, I will dance a jig. [/quote]

Damn, I didn’t notice that, his bicep definitely looks torn there.

Even when his arm was relaxed, you can see the lumped muscle.
Briggs reportedly got $500 000 for this match - that’s not much for big heavyweight fight and I definitely think that money weren’t the reason for being too tough for his own good.
I hope the man recovers.[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately heavyweights aren’t making that much these days. I’m thinking Briggs just didn’t want to quit and unfortunately the ref/corner was too inept to stop the fight.

[quote]lucidfuel wrote:
This is sad, fighters never say they’ve had enough. If he dies, its not him… its his corner and the ref.
[/quote]

That is why this sport is different than any other one. And it’s also why fighters are different than most “normal” people.