Rally to Restore Sanity / March to Keep Fear Alive

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Plus, it’s a much worse sign for a Republican to be indifferent to a conservative movement then it is for a Democrat to be, in regards to the long-term viability of the TP.[/quote]

With only about 40-41% (Gallup) of Americans identifying themselves as Republican, 30% support for the TP among Americans is huge. What’s troubling, for those who’ve worked hard to defame the TP movement (charges of rampant racism, etc.), is that they’re rewarded with only 27% outright opposition. Even with more Americans identifying themselves as Democrats (roughly 44%) than Republicans!

What indifferent Republicans there may be, are just that, indifferent. They don’t oppose the movement, and won’t be opposing it on the ballot. Meanwhile, the TP is bringing it’s highly energetic supporters out to vote, too.

Jon Stewart’s ‘Rally to Restore Sanity’ already outpacing Glenn Beck’s rally

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Humorously, this statement is accurate in exact proportion to the certainty with which one may expect that people who have marked ‘will attend’ on the facebook event will in fact show up.

Just curious. Is this a rally to honor Jon Stewart? This rally doesn’t seem to have any real theme, it just looks like more of Stewart’s self-indulgent, narcissistic, “LOOK AT ME!” nonsense.

In my opinion, I think Stewart is daffy. Almost anyone with his own TV show with his name in the title probably is.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Just curious. Is this a rally to honor Jon Stewart? This rally doesn’t seem to have any real theme, it just looks like more of Stewart’s self-indulgent, narcissistic, “LOOK AT ME!” nonsense.

In my opinion, I think Stewart is daffy. Almost anyone with his own TV show with his name in the title probably is.[/quote]

The rally is to give voice to the moderate’s. I don’t think it will work, but I do applaud the ideology behind it. The media only pays attention to the radical elements of the political spectrum, drowning out the vast majority of moderates.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

In my opinion, I think Stewart is daffy. Almost anyone with his own TV show with his name in the title probably is.[/quote]

The Daily Show?

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Ahh yes the legion of high school and college students who have marked they will attend, I am sure they will all get their parents to fly them out there.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
Let’s see…with 8 years of GWB we went from a surplus to a deficit by giving the top 1% or less of Americans a tax break[/quote]

The “Bush” tax cuts extended to all income earners, not just the “wealthiest 1%”.[/quote]

Your facts don’t belong here. Why do so many brain dead people complain about keeping their money and ignore when Congress wastes incredible sums?[/quote]

Youre right, his facts dont belong because, while technically true, misrepresents the overall picture.

Table 3:
Distribution of Tax-Cut Benefits in 2004
(reflects tax cuts enacted since 2001)

Income Class
Average tax cut
% increase in after-tax income
% share of tax cut

Middle 20 percent
$647
2.3%
8.9%

Top one percent
$34,992
5.3%
24.2%

Over $1 million
$123,592
6.4%
15.3%

Source: Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center

Really… Stewart and Colbert are clowns. How is this change for America thing working out? Next time maybe you should do some research instead of voting with whoever P Diddy and MTV vote for.

[quote]milktruck wrote:

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
Let’s see…with 8 years of GWB we went from a surplus to a deficit by giving the top 1% or less of Americans a tax break[/quote]

The “Bush” tax cuts extended to all income earners, not just the “wealthiest 1%”.[/quote]

Your facts don’t belong here. Why do so many brain dead people complain about keeping their money and ignore when Congress wastes incredible sums?[/quote]

Youre right, his facts dont belong because, while technically true, misrepresents the overall picture.

Table 3:
Distribution of Tax-Cut Benefits in 2004
(reflects tax cuts enacted since 2001)

Income Class
Average tax cut
% increase in after-tax income
% share of tax cut

Middle 20 percent
$647
2.3%
8.9%

Top one percent
$34,992
5.3%
24.2%

Over $1 million
$123,592
6.4%
15.3%

Source: Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center

[/quote]

Meh. I’d rather everyone look at this instead:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/egtrra_law.pdf

You’ll find that including the tax credit increases, phaseouts, and a bunch of other goodies aimed at lower-income taxpayers - the “Bush” tax cuts were quite generous to lower-income taxpayers. And don’t forget that those in the 10 and 15 percent brackets pay no tax on capital gains.

[quote]PNewport1010 wrote:
Really… Stewart and Colbert are clowns. How is this change for America thing working out? Next time maybe you should do some research instead of voting with whoever P Diddy and MTV vote for.[/quote]

HH GTFO

Good talk

Well, it was fun watching O’reilly have sport of Stewart tonight.

As fun as it is to argue about why the tea party/liberals is/are retarded/awesome, i don’t think that’s the primary issue of stewart’s rally. He himself has said that he’s not a politician and can’t expect to make significant political changes. However, he argues that because he’s a member of the media, that’s where he can legitimately expect to have an impact. That’s what is at the core of his rally.

It’s about restoring sanity to the newsmedia in america (cnn, fox, msnbc, all of em), it’s not as geared toward political activism. I’m not going to try to argue that stewart isn’t a democrat, but that’s sort of an ad hominem attack with respect to this rally. Just because he has a political slant (as most people do) doesn’t mean he can’t make a meaningful commentary on the state of the media.

While his attacks on fox are often motivated by what is being presented, they are just as often, if not more so, motivated by how things are presented. I think people miss the nature of his critique because all they want to do is point fingers at libs and conservatives and whine about who’s wrong and right.

[quote]siouxperman wrote:
As fun as it is to argue about why the tea party/liberals is/are retarded/awesome, i don’t think that’s the primary issue of stewart’s rally. He himself has said that he’s not a politician and can’t expect to make significant political changes. However, he argues that because he’s a member of the media, that’s where he can legitimately expect to have an impact. That’s what is at the core of his rally.

It’s about restoring sanity to the newsmedia in america (cnn, fox, msnbc, all of em), it’s not as geared toward political activism. I’m not going to try to argue that stewart isn’t a democrat, but that’s sort of an ad hominem attack with respect to this rally. Just because he has a political slant (as most people do) doesn’t mean he can’t make a meaningful commentary on the state of the media.

While his attacks on fox are often motivated by what is being presented, they are just as often, if not more so, motivated by how things are presented. I think people miss the nature of his critique because all they want to do is point fingers at libs and conservatives and whine about who’s wrong and right.[/quote]

I think I understand your point. Just because Stewart is a democrat and has repeatedly belittled republican politicians, and every single conservative vaule that is known doesn’t mean that he’s going to turn this rally into any sort of anti-republican pro Obama thing. NO, of course not, not at all nope. On a side note, are you that gullible, or just a partisan hack?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

While his attacks on fox are often motivated by what is being presented, they are just as often, if not more so, motivated by how things are presented. I think people miss the nature of his critique because all they want to do is point fingers at libs and conservatives and whine about who’s wrong and right.[/quote]

I think I understand your point. Just because Stewart is a democrat and has repeatedly belittled republican politicians, and every single conservative vaule that is known doesn’t mean that he’s going to turn this rally into any sort of anti-republican pro Obama thing. NO, of course not, not at all nope. On a side note, are that gullible, or just a partisan hack?
[/quote]

Does it bother you when Republicans have rallies? How about when people say the rallies aren’t political? Or are you just a partisan hack?

[quote]PAINTRAINDave wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

I think I understand your point. Just because Stewart is a democrat and has repeatedly belittled republican politicians, and every single conservative vaule that is known doesn’t mean that he’s going to turn this rally into any sort of anti-republican pro Obama thing. NO, of course not, not at all nope. On a side note, are that gullible, or just a partisan hack?
[/quote]

Does it bother you when Republicans have rallies? How about when people say the rallies aren’t political? Or are you just a partisan hack?
[/quote]

It’s the double standard that is pathetic.

When Dems rally, it’s community organizing, community activism, and “power going back to the people.” When Republicans rally, it’s racism, it’s the deep south, the Klan, xenophobic, sexism, and every other “anti-white crotchety old man” metaphor that can be thought of. People are getting sick and tired of it.

Do you think Bill O’Reilly can get away with using the N word as much as Bill Maher does?

I’m surprised to see Colbert is to testify before Congress on Friday.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

It’s the double standard that is pathetic.

When Dems rally, it’s community organizing, community activism, and “power going back to the people.” When Republicans rally, it’s racism, it’s the deep south, the Klan, xenophobic, sexism, and every other “anti-white crotchety old man” metaphor that can be thought of. People are getting sick and tired of it. [/quote]

Yeah! Double standard!

It’s like people are labeling based off of history and facts or something, that’s not fair at all. People are sick and tired of accurate portrayals.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

I think I understand your point. Just because Stewart is a democrat and has repeatedly belittled republican politicians, and every single conservative vaule that is known doesn’t mean that he’s going to turn this rally into any sort of anti-republican pro Obama thing. NO, of course not, not at all nope. On a side note, are you that gullible, or just a partisan hack?
[/quote]

Every PWI thread should just begin with a stock post of yours so we can go ahead and get it out of the way and try to have a discussion. It’s too bad that you’re such a whiny bitch.