Questions for Older T-Nation Posters

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:
When I was a kid my parents had ordered in a bunch of fill dirt for the house. It was delivered in the form of a mud pile, 3 feet deep and 20x60 feet in area. I played in that thing every day until the contractors used it. It was heaven. We lived on three acres and I spent every day and most weekend days running around the woods, gathering wild veggies and fruits, fishing, pretending to swordfight, that sort of thing. I didn’t see my mother much before dinner. That was really nice and there’s no way I can live where I want to live, do what I want to do, and give my kids that same sort of youth.[/quote]

Wow, your parents were cool for allowing a dirt area like that in the house!
My mom would be pissed off if any of us came inside with dirty shoes!
[/quote]

It was for the house, not in it. They had to do some landscaping. Is English your first language? Sorry if that comes across as rude, I’m the new guy.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
They are in their 20’s now and lament being adults.
[/quote]

Sometimes I do too, but then I have sex, drink whiskey, smoke cigars, eat my cookies before my meal, have sex and remember being grown has it’s perks too.

Edit: one of those “have sex” was supposed to be buy guns, but… You can tell I’ve been traveling for work.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

Sometimes I do too, but then I have sex, drink whiskey, smoke cigars, eat my cookies before my meal, have sex and remember being grown has it’s perks too.

Edit: one of those “have sex” was supposed to be buy guns, but… You can tell I’ve been traveling for work. [/quote]

IDK, I was able to do all that stuff before I was an “adult,” but like I said, I had an idyllic childhood.

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:
When I was a kid my parents had ordered in a bunch of fill dirt for the house. It was delivered in the form of a mud pile, 3 feet deep and 20x60 feet in area. I played in that thing every day until the contractors used it. It was heaven. We lived on three acres and I spent every day and most weekend days running around the woods, gathering wild veggies and fruits, fishing, pretending to swordfight, that sort of thing. I didn’t see my mother much before dinner. That was really nice and there’s no way I can live where I want to live, do what I want to do, and give my kids that same sort of youth.[/quote]

Wow, your parents were cool for allowing a dirt area like that in the house!
My mom would be pissed off if any of us came inside with dirty shoes!
[/quote]

It was for the house, not in it. They had to do some landscaping. Is English your first language? Sorry if that comes across as rude, I’m the new guy.
[/quote]

Time to change the battery in your Sarcasm Meter.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

Edit: one of those “have sex” was supposed to be buy guns, but… You can tell I’ve been traveling for work. [/quote]

Wait until your kids say this.

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

IDK, I was able to do all that stuff before I was an “adult,” but like I said, I had an idyllic childhood.
[/quote]

This new guy is fiesty

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

My 17 year old isn’t getting laid, hates drinking and smoking… I’m doing okay lol.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

My 17 year old isn’t getting laid, hates drinking and smoking… I’m doing okay lol. [/quote]

Yes, but you too have a daughter. Bwahahaha

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

This new guy is fiesty
[/quote]

I mean, I got my friends to buy me smokes and beer, banged often, and wasn’t into guns yet so… I “did it all then” too.

It’s still much better now.

I’m originally from rural Nova Scotia. This was late '60s early '70s. I remember a lot of playing in the woods, building forts, riding bikes on dirt roads; generally a bunch of kids living a ‘Lord of the Flies’ type of existence on the weekends. I also remember the time two kids got lost in the woods and my mom and other moms making sandwiches for the search teams.

Chips were either a nickel a bag or a dime a bag. I remember when chocolate bars went up to 20 cents each and how that seemed insane. The first time I saw a colour TV the excitement was that Bugs Bunny’s carrot was actually orange.

We rarely ate out. Hamburgers bought out were from A&W. I’d never heard of McDonalds.

We had religion in our schools. Classes were segregated by Protestant and Catholic. The nuns could whack you one if you were stupid.

Don’t mistake these for the good old days though. They were just different days.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

I try and prepare a little bit everyday.

Hopefully she is like her mother, and not like me.

Some of my favorite toys growing up:
Big cardboard boxes that freezers and refrigerators came in. My Grandpa drove down to the Otasco store and they would give us 3-4 on the weekends to take.
Big metal barrels. Lay them on their side and see how far you could walk on them.
Pocket knife for mumbly peg, whittleing, or whatever.
Marbles
BB gun

I liked how cigarettes were only like $1.35 when I was 13. It put coolness well within reach of your average middle school kid. I have no idea how kids today can afford it.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I liked how cigarettes were only like $1.35 when I was 13. It put coolness well within reach of your average middle school kid. I have no idea how kids today can afford it.[/quote]

No kidding. My first pack was in grade 8 for under $2. I bought it at the drug store.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[/quote]

I try and prepare a little bit everyday.

Hopefully she is like her mother, and not like me. [/quote]

Did your mom ever say “I hope you have a kid just like you”? Mine did and it worked.

Something I did as a kid that would get parents thrown in jail and get me taken away today. Going fishing down at the different creeks and ponds.
At 10 I would put on MY 22 pistol, get my fishing gear and snacks and take off by myself. Walk through pastures and woods @2 miles to the closest one and @5 to the big stock pond. Had my 22 for snakes or stupid squirrels or rabbits. Spend all day by myself fishing, climbing trees, whatever I wanted.