Questions for Older T-Nation Posters

For me, 50 to about 78 seems middle age now; old will always be about l0 years older than whatever my age. I have noticed that happy people who live long lives don’t think of themselves as old. It is possible to get a boner at 101 while being bathed by a caregiver (good friend’s father’s experience, according to the caregiver).

I think tits are the same. McDonald’s hamburgers are probably better now. I remember going to one of, or the first, McD’s near O’Hare in Chicago about 1960 with my German immigrant grandfather who at the time said McD’s fast food idea was going to be a big thing.

Everybody thinks they’re going to keep their 20 something bod if they work out enough and watch their diet. Good luck with that. I think try to stay strong, fight fat, and enjoy life. It really helps to work out with someone younger and stronger.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
All I remember about the Gulf War was seeing green night vision of scuds on the TV when we were on holidays at a beach house up the coast.[/quote]

I was in the IDF outside Haifa (in Israel) during the war.

Israeli basically became a giant refueling and supply depot for everyone, except the Arab countries that didn’t want our help (or rather couldn’t admit to wanting our help).

My unit’s task was to prepare and defend Patriot missile batteries operated by the Dutch (who were there to defend my country - thank you Holland!) and Israeli crews.

You have to get a kind of flat and open spot to run the batteries, and there are a finite number of places you can set up — it all has to be choreographed with radar sites, laser sites, etc, to work.

So you end up with a big, exposed, position that gives out giant flashes of light and sound like a giant beacon to attract assholes.

We had constant burned crap – like ashes and bits of metal and insulation — falling out of the sky — the Scuds (like 80%) would generally land off target out in the Negev somewhere, so they’d only shoot at ones that would hit population centers and they could only hit about 80% of these (resulting in a net hit rate of like 20%, but that is only because 80% weren’t targeted – they are much better now).

The sound of the Patriots is like an explosion. They go supersonic within feet of the launch pad. The sonic boom would literally (not figuratively) knock you down if you are within 100 meters. The wave hits you before the sound, or at least before you register the sound.

Anyway, the usual neighboring suspects would attack the launch sites with small groups and arms, and it fell to us (an engineering battalion, no heavy arms) to kill them before they killed the Dutch.

It was like a little mini-1967 invasion that no one ever talks or writes about.

Well, we killed a fair number or they ran away, which worked for me too. Which is basically like 1967, to.

And our group lost no Dutchmen, which would have killed us inside because they were a bunch of strangers in a strange land sacrificing to save our ass.

Anytime I can find anything Dutch, I buy it.

Lots of stupid wooden shoe magnets in our house.

Can’t tell ya about the Big Macs either, the 1/4 lb w/cheese was a good one but it’s been well over 20 years since I had one or went to Mickey D’s.

Dinosaurs were tasty, was a bus boy for the last supper, walked uphill to school in the snow both ways, had to hitch up the team of oxen to pass drivers ed…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I consider middle age over 50 [/quote]

I agree with this (for men). For women I think it’s anything over 40, even though they live longer.[/quote]

I’d say it could be as low as 35 depending on the dude, imo. But either way I’d say it starts in your 40’s until mid to late 50’s for “middle age”. [/quote]
0_o fuck you beans

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
It’s come to my attention that many posters here at T-Nation are on the far side of middle age and I realised that they must have a wealth of accumulated knowledge they could pass on to us younger folk. I’m no Spring chicken but many of the events that I’ve only read about, you lived through.

So I’ll get the ball rolling.

Have Big Macs always tasted the same? No? What were they like in the 70’s or 60’s? What are the differences?[/quote]
The difference is that back then they were a once in a great while stop. The mom and pop stands had better burgers.[/quote]

Yes, they still are much better from Mom and Pop stores. That’s what I was wondering actually. I thought they must’ve tasted better back in the day because they were so popular. I remember reading Elvis used to have Big Macs shipped to him overseas when he toured in places that had no McDonalds.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
All I remember about the Gulf War was seeing green night vision of scuds on the TV when we were on holidays at a beach house up the coast.[/quote]

Israeli basically became a giant refueling and supply depot for everyone, except the Arab countries that didn’t want our help (or rather couldn’t admit to wanting our help).

My unit’s task was to prepare and defend Patriot missile batteries operated by the Dutch (who were there to defend my country - thank you Holland!) and Israeli crews.

You have to get a kind of flat and open spot to run the batteries, and there are a finite number of places you can set up — it all has to be choreographed with radar sites, laser sites, etc, to work.

So you end up with a big, exposed, position that gives out giant flashes of light and sound like a giant beacon to attract assholes.

We had constant burned crap – like ashes and bits of metal and insulation — falling out of the sky — the Scuds (like 80%) would generally land off target out in the Negev somewhere, so they’d only shoot at ones that would hit population centers and they could only hit about 80% of these (resulting in a net hit rate of like 20%, but that is only because 80% weren’t targeted – they are much better now).

The sound of the Patriots is like an explosion. They go supersonic within feet of the launch pad. The sonic boom would literally (not figuratively) knock you down if you are within 100 meters. The wave hits you before the sound, or at least before you register the sound.

Anyway, the usual neighboring suspects would attack the launch sites with small groups and arms, and it fell to us (an engineering battalion, no heavy arms) to kill them before they killed the Dutch.

Well, we killed a fair number or they ran away, which worked for me too. Which is basically like 1967, to.

And our group lost no Dutchmen, which would have killed us inside because they were a bunch of strangers in a strange land sacrificing to save our ass.

Lots of stupid wooden shoe magnets in our house.[/quote]

Actually I think that was the first time I’d ever heard of Israel(other than the name of the country). I knew America was invading Iraq because Saddam had invaded Kuwait. Then they were reporting that Iraq was firing scuds at Israel and I couldn’t figure out why. Then into the 90’s I started hearing about the intifada and so on.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I agree with this (for men). For women I think it’s anything over 40, even though they live longer.[/quote]

I’d say it could be as low as 35 depending on the dude, imo. But either way I’d say it starts in your 40’s until mid to late 50’s for “middle age”. [/quote]
0_o fuck you beans[/quote]

You have grandkids man. Dont’ fight the tide, surf that shit.

I love being an old man, lol.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

Thanks for sharing. You’re clearly a brave, stand-up guy.

I like to think of myself as middle-aged, although I rather doubt I’ll live to see 105.

I remember going to McDonald’s and getting a hamburger, fries and drink for < $1.

I remember reading about the ongoing Vietnam war in the paper everyday. (My father was KIA there, so I had a vested interest.)

Penny gum actually cost a penny.

Gas stations were called ‘service stations’ because you got service there. They competed for your business by giving ‘free’ gifts with a fill-up (eg, a set of 4 lovely drinking glasses).

You had to get up and cross the room to change the channel and/or adjust the rabbit ears on the TV in order to see one of the four stations available in your area.

I remember predicting to friends and family, with 100% certainty, that each of the following fads would be gone within a year of their appearance on the market:

1. Personal computers. (What the hell does anyone need a computer for? Is Mom gonna keep her recipes on it or something?)
  2. Fancy-shmancy bottled water. (Who in their right mind would pay for something you could get essentially free from the tap?)
  3. $1 (and up) cup of coffee. (NO WAY that’s gonna be a viable business model.)

OK, that’s probably enough reminiscing. Now you kids get off my lawn.

Get off my lawn!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

0_o fuck you beans[/quote]

You have grandkids man. Dont’ fight the tide, surf that shit.

I love being an old man, lol.
[/quote]
I know Im not ready for that shit.

Since 2001, where has the real, up close and personal war coverage been?

When I was in high school (turned 18 in 1975, joined the Army in '76), everyday on the news they would announce the U.S. GI casualty/body count from Vietnam. They would show video of combat and of wounded/killed GIs. Life magazine had color photos every week. Sobering, difficult stuff to see. But, stuff I think we all needed to see.

Kind of kept us in the loop, better connected to those doing the hard work.

The news was kinda just that, news. Each station (NBC, ABC, CBS) told you pretty much the same stuff. And…you had to get up off your ass to change the channel. You didn’t like the news on TV or in the newspaper that I threw onto your porch? It was too liberal/depressing/whatever? You got in your car, went to Leader Rexall Drugstore and bought something else to read, and maybe your cigarettes and cotton balls or something.

Now, you just plant your tush on the couch and cycle through the buttons on the remote until you find the most entertaining giggle/jiggle fest or the station with the actor(s) who spouts the rhetoric which best confirms your biases. No station is going to risk losing you (and no sponsor your purchasing dollars) to images of blown up dudes.

AND ANOTHER THING (older person tangent) you can now with almost no effort log onto peoplewhosegodhasthesameenemiesasminedotcom, approximately read some stuff and then pretend that you have cohesively assembled some feelings into actual thoughts. Click, drool.

Now before anyone thinks that I am bashing in their entirety cable TV and the internet, I shall say that I am not. I offer “Naked And Afraid” and easy access to data sheets. For these I am quite grateful.

But seriously, since 2001, where has the war coverage been?

Oh, and Big Macs taste different than back-in-the-day because I am 57 and my taste buds have been dying for years. I remember walking around town with my buds in the '60s looking for pennies and such until we had the 11 or 13 cents (or whatever it was) to buy a McD burger.

Haven’t had McDonald’s food for over 20 years.
But I did have a fur burger 2 days ago.

Some great replies here, thanks. Great story from JB too.

I like to hear people reminiscing about the good old days. My parents made the 50’s sound like paradise. It seems like we’re short on questions though. So any anecdotes or stories like the ones so far would be good.

How much bush is too much bush?

No idea. I did not eat them then and do not eat them now. How is that for wisdom to pass on?
My guess is they were larger and cheaper in the 70’s

Please tell me this was unintentional.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Some great replies here, thanks. Great story from JB too.

I like to hear people reminiscing about the good old days. My parents made the 50’s sound like paradise. It seems like we’re short on questions though. So any anecdotes or stories like the ones so far would be good.[/quote]

My father-in-law is always talking about how great the 50’s were… but his examples blow. Maybe the 30’s and 40’s just sucked so bad that the 50’s seemed great in comparison. That could be a meme.

When I was a kid my parents had ordered in a bunch of fill dirt for the house. It was delivered in the form of a mud pile, 3 feet deep and 20x60 feet in area. I played in that thing every day until the contractors used it. It was heaven. We lived on three acres and I spent every day and most weekend days running around the woods, gathering wild veggies and fruits, fishing, pretending to swordfight, that sort of thing. I didn’t see my mother much before dinner. That was really nice and there’s no way I can live where I want to live, do what I want to do, and give my kids that same sort of youth.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

As a Dutchman…my heart swelled reading this. Thank you.

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:
When I was a kid my parents had ordered in a bunch of fill dirt for the house. It was delivered in the form of a mud pile, 3 feet deep and 20x60 feet in area. I played in that thing every day until the contractors used it. It was heaven. We lived on three acres and I spent every day and most weekend days running around the woods, gathering wild veggies and fruits, fishing, pretending to swordfight, that sort of thing. I didn’t see my mother much before dinner. That was really nice and there’s no way I can live where I want to live, do what I want to do, and give my kids that same sort of youth.[/quote]

Wow, your parents were cool for allowing a dirt area like that in the house!
My mom would be pissed off if any of us came inside with dirty shoes!