Procrastination, I've Got it Bad

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
I own my own business and I kind of have the same problem. Not to that extent, tho I do see how it can happen!

We went through some serious financial hard times, an audit, and a fire all around the same time. I became so overwhelmed trying to pay shit with nothing and dealing with creditors, insurance, lawyers, etc that I almost froze. I would not even look at bills or in the account until I absolutely had too. I did no paper work at all. I did not fill out any goverment returns, nothing. If I didnt look at it or face it then it couldnt ‘hurt’ me.

For me it was stress, and I just shut down. At the end I procrastinated EVERYTHING, even silly things like closing cupboards.

I MADE myself begin to pluck away at shit. Before we were shut down or something, lol.

Its taken a long time but we are now back on track.

The bad habbits still like to rear their heads tho, ex; this month was a slow month and I have anxiety to look into the account and pay the bills (even tho the money is there right now) I think it scarred me for life!

I think its like a burn out. Being in business is TOUGH!

So not much advice, but I have been there and know how horrible it feels.

You WILL feel better tho each time to take a chunk out of the work no matter how small it is.

Make a small list each day. Like maybe only 5 simple things. Tackle them and scratch that shit off. It feels good![/quote]

You own you’re own business and you spell “though” t-h-o??

Th only ppl I knw who typ lk tht ar lazy engr stdnts frm th Mddl east[/quote]

*Your[/quote]

I actually let that one out there cor cyote girl, but she missed it…

I’d rather be incorrect than lazy[/quote]

*for

Ahahaha! I love counter grammar Nazism.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
I own my own business and I kind of have the same problem. Not to that extent, tho I do see how it can happen!

We went through some serious financial hard times, an audit, and a fire all around the same time. I became so overwhelmed trying to pay shit with nothing and dealing with creditors, insurance, lawyers, etc that I almost froze. I would not even look at bills or in the account until I absolutely had too. I did no paper work at all. I did not fill out any goverment returns, nothing. If I didnt look at it or face it then it couldnt ‘hurt’ me.

For me it was stress, and I just shut down. At the end I procrastinated EVERYTHING, even silly things like closing cupboards.

I MADE myself begin to pluck away at shit. Before we were shut down or something, lol.

Its taken a long time but we are now back on track.

The bad habbits still like to rear their heads tho, ex; this month was a slow month and I have anxiety to look into the account and pay the bills (even tho the money is there right now) I think it scarred me for life!

I think its like a burn out. Being in business is TOUGH!

So not much advice, but I have been there and know how horrible it feels.

You WILL feel better tho each time to take a chunk out of the work no matter how small it is.

Make a small list each day. Like maybe only 5 simple things. Tackle them and scratch that shit off. It feels good![/quote]

You own you’re own business and you spell “though” t-h-o??

Th only ppl I knw who typ lk tht ar lazy engr stdnts frm th Mddl east[/quote]

*Your[/quote]

I actually let that one out there cor cyote girl, but she missed it…

I’d rather be incorrect than lazy[/quote]

*for[/quote]
Use the meme, Beth

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

*for[/quote]
Use the meme, Beth[/quote]

I was too busy typing with one hand

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

*for[/quote]
Use the meme, Beth[/quote]

I was too busy typing with one hand[/quote]

Okay you guys are just getting weird now

Bringing this back from the dead, because I got some terrific advice here. I read all the posts multiple times and here’s what I gots:

Skyzyks: Filling out forms brings out anxiety in me. I think (like a lot of procrastinators) I have perfectionist tendencies and a twinge of OCD (mostly counting rituals - stairs, finger taps, etc). The idea of getting to line 46 f and not knowing what to put in the blank will cause me to set the whole thing aside for another day. And that day becomes a month which becomes a year.

LoRez and NikH: I have not been tested for adult ADHD but will bring it up with my therapist the next time I go (no appointments planned in the future, I just touch base with her once a year or so). I do have hypothyroidism which when untreated contributed to some mild depression and general fatigue. I had my TSH tested once again, and my doc and I bumped up my dosage by 25mcg and I’m feeling a bit better already.

Coyotegal: I saw so much of myself in your post. 2011 was a difficult year for my business, plus I paid my ex a boat load of money. I think looking at how much I lost due to poor decision making and how much I paid my ex was overwhelming. It just brought up all those bad feelings once again. Even today, I have a garbage bag full of unopened bills that I keep. I pay utilities when they call me and threaten to turn them off, even though I have plenty of money in the bank to pay.

Squatting Bear and EmQ: I appreciate the time you took to go back and forth with one another, that type of dialogue helped with figure out what was going on inside.

Batman730: Very, very helpful posts. You helped me put in to words things which I only felt.

Derek and other who told me to get the fuck over it: yup, you’re right.

So, here’s what I’m working on: I have poor inhibition control and a very busy life which gives me plenty of opportunity to avoid those things I don’t want to do while still being productive. Instead of doing my taxes, I’ll clean out the garage. Or change the oil in all the cars. Or repaint the bedrooms. Nobody can accuse me of being lazy, but I’m not doing what really needs to be done.

Somewhere along the way, I’ve become terribly undisciplined, but I mistook routine for discipline. In other words, I woke up at 5:30 and went to work, then picked up the kids at school, took them to their activities, made dinner, etc…and got to pat myself on the back for being disciplined when in actuality all I was doing was showing up where and when I needed to. I think a truer test would be, "am i getting things done when they need to be done?’ and the answer is no.

So after making my original post, I took a day and a half and got my 2011 and 2012 taxes complete. I also took the first vacation I’ve taken in 2.5 years because I never allowed myself to take a break as long as my taxes were incomplete. So that was nice.

My gameplan going forward: Open all mail the day I get it. Either file it, take some other action, or throw it away. Break my day into 25 minute segments, and have a goal for each segment (the Pomodoro Technique if anyone cares). Focus on small tasks, break all large tasks into their components, allow myself to take a break to stay mentally fresh as well as to keep from feeling overwhelmed.

So again, thanks to all of you.

Dude, if you are paying THAT much in penalties, just hire an accountant! Will it cost you several grand for the kind of detail you need? YUP. Is several grand better than EIGHTY FUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS IN PENALTIES WTF!?!?!?! Spending a little money on an accountant makes all that shit go away. AND saves you from feeling like you procrastinate.