PRIME Rib

mike, i’m 6’6. my legs straight out way too fast during my deadlift, causeing my back to arch(therefore exposing it to injury) I tried slowing down my first pull and I posted this first question to EC and he said I should do more glute work but I know i do alot of glute work

any idea?

Do more glute work correctly!

Check out our “Get Your Butt in Gear” article series for tons of glute exercises. I would be more than willing to guess that just b/c you are doing glute work, that doesn’t necessarily you are doing it correctly. Most people have no clue how to use their glutes until they go back to basics and re-learn the exercises properly.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
mike, i’m 6’6. my legs straight out way too fast during my deadlift, causeing my back to arch(therefore exposing it to injury) I tried slowing down my first pull and I posted this first question to EC and he said I should do more glute work but I know i do alot of glute work

any idea?[/quote]

Ok, so rumor has it if the Colts don’t win it all this year, they won’t.

And I whole-heartedly agree.

The Patriots have the slightest chance that all these changes in the defense, coaching staff, etc. could catch up to them.

Younger teams like the Texans, Jags, etc. still aren’t quite there.

Needless to say, this year could seriously make or break our team as we currently know it.

As well, the Pacers should be very interesting, as will the entire Eastern Conference. It’s amazing how when Shaq moved, the collective balance in the NBA also started to lean back towards the East. The Nets will have a healthy staff with J Kidd, Jefferson, Vinsanity and now Shareef Abdur-Rahim. The Heat picked up Walker and J Will, and they were already stout with only Shaq and Wade.

Ah, but those Pacers! We get Artest back, pick up a stud in Granger, and also got that back-up point guard we need in the Euro fella (Jasek-something). Anyway, he lit up the US for like 28 points a few years ago in the Olympics.

So what do you all think? Who are going to be the contenders in the NFL and NBA this year?

Stay strong
MR

Mike,
How would you suggest one’s training split look like if their emphasis is Strongman? I’m not asking you to write a full blow program, as I realize that’s how you make your living, but maybe just a general idea. Thanks Mike.
-Greg

I posted this above after you logged off on Tuesday…

[quote]jka_72 wrote:
Mike,

When doing chin-ups (supinated) I’ve been experiencing a shooting pain in the back of my neck after about 4 reps. Like an idiot…I continue to crank out a couple more and end up with a throbbing pain in the back of my head. I sit down feeling kinda dizzy and then feel like complete crap through the rest of my workout. Obviously, I can stop doing chins - but I’m curious what’s going on. Maybe I’m tensing up too much, straining my neck trying to get my chin over the bar, having a brain aneurysm? Any thoughts? Thanks.[/quote]

Nova,

It depends on how strong you are to begin with. If you are pretty weak, I would focus way more on the iron and just getting stronger, as there will be a high correlation b/w your strength gain and improved performance.

However, as your strength levels plateau, there will be diminishing returns. More emphasis should be placed on maintaining strength, while focusing on the competitive lifts/movements.

Here’s an example split:

Beginner
Mon - Low body
Tue - Upper body
Thu - Upper/low mix
Sat - Events

Advanced
Mon - Low body
Tue - Upper body
Thu - Events 1
Sat - Events 2

I hope this answers your question!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]novamcglone wrote:
Mike,
How would you suggest one’s training split look like if their emphasis is Strongman? I’m not asking you to write a full blow program, as I realize that’s how you make your living, but maybe just a general idea. Thanks Mike.
-Greg[/quote]

Could be a host of things, but none of them sound really good, especially b/c they revolve around the neck. I would ask Dr. Ryan in his thread, b/c he can probably give you a better diagnosis than I can.

To be on the safe side, though, I would definitely lay off the chins for a while.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]jka_72 wrote:
I posted this above after you logged off on Tuesday…

jka_72 wrote:
Mike,

When doing chin-ups (supinated) I’ve been experiencing a shooting pain in the back of my neck after about 4 reps. Like an idiot…I continue to crank out a couple more and end up with a throbbing pain in the back of my head. I sit down feeling kinda dizzy and then feel like complete crap through the rest of my workout. Obviously, I can stop doing chins - but I’m curious what’s going on. Maybe I’m tensing up too much, straining my neck trying to get my chin over the bar, having a brain aneurysm? Any thoughts? Thanks.

[/quote]

Mike,

I’ve suffered 2 debilitating muscle spasms recently (prevented me from working out for several weeks). Other than stretching is there anything else I can do to prevent this from reoccuring? Thanks.

In what muscle group did you get them? What movements brought them on? It’s impossible for me to answer without a little more info.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]pectacular wrote:
Mike,

I’ve suffered 2 debilitating muscle spasms recently (prevented me from working out for several weeks). Other than stretching is there anything else I can do to prevent this from reoccuring? Thanks.[/quote]

You know the thing I’m most shocked about here? No one wants to talk SPORTS!

Ok, so I’ll continue to ramble on my own thread…

Had a great upper body training session today. I’m training out of a small local gym, but it’s actually pretty cool. They play cool music like Metallica and AC/DC (although I always rely on the MP3 player), have a safety squat bar, and even a decent power rack. The only drawback is no chalk; my hands get so sweaty while benching that my hands start to slide on the bar. Needless to say, that’s when the set stops!

What did everyone else train today? How did it go? Hell, maybe some of the Prime Timer’s will come on here and answer!

Stay strong
MR

Wow, dude, stop with the Colts already. Seriously.

Sincerely,
your division rival, Buffalo Bill.

Come to think of it, I’m a Pacers fan, which just might allow us to remain friends… but I’d never let you give me a hand off for bench (just in case).

[quote]David Barr wrote:

Sincerely,
your division rival, Buffalo Bill.[/quote]

Sounds good bro. I would ask how it felt those 4 years that Buffalo made it to the Super Bowl, but alas I can’t even remember the last time the Colts did, so I won’t bother!

Go Pacers!

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Come to think of it, I’m a Pacers fan, which just might allow us to remain friends… but I’d never let you give me a hand off for bench (just in case).

David Barr wrote:

Sincerely,
your division rival, Buffalo Bill.[/quote]

Ok people, I’m out for the night. Have a great weekend!

Stay strong
MR