PRIME Rib

Ive read about pattern-overload and repitive stress injuries when the topic of machine excercising comes up.

What exactly is this is pattern-overload and a RSI, in referance to what will one experience as far as detrimental effects?

I think I basically would love to read a little more in-depth about what will eventually happen when using a machine too often too long.

Thanks

Amir

McGill’s first book is excellent as well, although a little more on the clinical/rehab side of the equation.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]DA MAN wrote:
MR
thanks a million. I appreciate your input. One more thing- aside from McGills second book, are there any sources you would suggest getting ahold of that could demonstrate a good idea of nuetral spine and proper spine position during lifts? I always thought I had at least ok form, but now I am starting to doubt it… thanks again for all your help[/quote]

I believe Paul Chek wrote an article on this topic for T-mag a while back. You can check the archives.

As with almost all machines, they force a specific movement pattern versus allowing your body to figure out which pattern is most efficient and effective.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
Ive read about pattern-overload and repitive stress injuries when the topic of machine excercising comes up.

What exactly is this is pattern-overload and a RSI, in referance to what will one experience as far as detrimental effects?

I think I basically would love to read a little more in-depth about what will eventually happen when using a machine too often too long.

Thanks

Amir[/quote]

You lifted great bro. I was especially happy to see you come back and get that 501 after you missed it on your second attempt. That takes a lot of mental focus and guts.

Keep training hard and hopefully I’ll met you on the platform here soon!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
I guess I ought to chime in here and answer for myself!

I cut weight to make 165 (163, actually) and wound up going:

501.5 squat (Comp. PR)

319.5 bench (tanked this one; I have hit 350 in training)

567.5 deadlift (Overall PR)

1388.5 total

As a frame of reference, Powerlifting USA lists the top 100 165 lifters in each of the three lifts and the total each year. For 2004, this would put my squat at #89, deadlift at #35, and total at #60. Considering I left about 30 pounds on the platform on both the squat and bench, I guess it could be worse. I’ll be pissed about the bench for the next 12-week training cycle, though![/quote]

MR
I fergot aboot your knee, man. How long out from the injury are you? I am glad to hear you are coming along. The weight on your shoulders has to feel great. I will admit jealousy at this point… Anyhoo, glad things are coming along for you.
Thanks for the book suggestion- I think i can handle the smarty pants talk.

Mike-
I posted a question for you a couple of days ago over in the knee pain forum. Just wondered if you’re still checking that thread? Thanks.

The injury most likely occurred in February, and I’m at about 7 weeks post-op right now.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]DA MAN wrote:
MR
I fergot aboot your knee, man. How long out from the injury are you? I am glad to hear you are coming along. The weight on your shoulders has to feel great. I will admit jealousy at this point… Anyhoo, glad things are coming along for you.
Thanks for the book suggestion- I think i can handle the smarty pants talk. [/quote]

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
So the rehab is going better, I actually squatted a massive 185 with no compensation or pain today. However, as we all know, it’s not the day of but the day after that’s truly indicative of how we feel!

As well, ROM and mobility are getting back to where they need to be. I need to get in and get some ART/massage around the knee joint to get the quality of movement back to where I’d like, but it could be a few weeks before I get back into a consistent massage/chiro/ART routine.

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Awesome! Glad the healing is going well.

I guess I ought to chime in here and answer for myself!

I cut weight to make 165 (163, actually) and wound up going:

501.5 squat (Comp. PR)

319.5 bench (tanked this one; I have hit 350 in training)

567.5 deadlift (Overall PR)

1388.5 total

As a frame of reference, Powerlifting USA lists the top 100 165 lifters in each of the three lifts and the total each year. For 2004, this would put my squat at #89, deadlift at #35, and total at #60. Considering I left about 30 pounds on the platform on both the squat and bench, I guess it could be worse. I’ll be pissed about the bench for the next 12-week training cycle, though![/quote]

Awesome! That’s great! I’m actually interested in getting into powerlifting and am very interested in your diet. Both regularly and while leaning out for a competition. But I’ll PM you or ask in a thread of yours at another time. Great job at the meet!

Was the title of this thread by any chance inspired by dinner from Friday and Saturday night?

No, I was trying to be Barr-esque for the evening. If it was named after dinner, it would’ve been “Cherry Cobbler!”

Stay strong
MR

Was the title of this thread by any chance inspired by dinner from Friday and Saturday night?[/quote]

You know where to find me. You’ll likely see a semi-related article from me in the not-so-distant future, so that should get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the kind words!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I’m actually interested in getting into powerlifting and am very interested in your diet. Both regularly and while leaning out for a competition. But I’ll PM you or ask in a thread of yours at another time. Great job at the meet!

[/quote]

All right people, I’m out for the night. I’ll see you back here Thursday night, same time, same place!

Stay strong
MR

Mike,

When doing chin-ups (supinated) I’ve been experiencing a shooting pain in the back of my neck after about 4 reps. Like an idiot…I continue to crank out a couple more and end up with a throbbing pain in the back of my head. I sit down feeling kinda dizzy and then feel like complete crap through the rest of my workout. Obviously, I can stop doing chins - but I’m curious what’s going on. Maybe I’m tensing up too much, straining my neck trying to get my chin over the bar, having a brain aneurysm? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks. I’ll definitely be in touch once I see if the PowerLifting gym is close enough to Ann Arbor to make training there feasible my first year of law school.

You know where to find me. You’ll likely see a semi-related article from me in the not-so-distant future, so that should get the ball rolling.

jsbrook wrote:
I’m actually interested in getting into powerlifting and am very interested in your diet. Both regularly and while leaning out for a competition. But I’ll PM you or ask in a thread of yours at another time. Great job at the meet!

[/quote]

I would just contact the state chair; he/she would be able to hook you up with a good gym near you.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Thanks. I’ll definitely be in touch once I see if the PowerLifting gym is close enough to Ann Arbor to make training there feasible my first year of law school.

Eric Cressey wrote:

jsbrook wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
First off, do what it takes to get the shoulder fixed. You may be able to perform some gentle mobility/range of motion work, but be smart and let your body heal itself.

In the meantime, get well acquainted with leg exercises that don’t stress the shoulders. A safety bar could be your best friend for the next couple of weeks.

Lastly, don’t use this as an excuse to get out of the gym; find another goal and train your ass off to achieve it in the meantime.

Stay strong
MR
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, Mike!

Doctor wasn’t too clear on what the problem was, just said something about inflamation of the joint (where the humerus inserts into scapula). He prescribed 1800mg of ibuprofen a day, which I took for a couple of weeks. The first of which I was on holiday, the second I was in the gym as usual. As the pain was still there after the gym week I decided to really lay off the shoulder.

You’re quite right about not using this as an excuse! It has happened to me in the past, but this time I decided not to do that. If I can only do the exercises I mentioned, then so be it. If I have to do squats 2 times a week…then I’ll develop massive legs! I might start running a little bit too, I don’t think this should be a problem for the shoulder.

I’m not familiar with the safety bar, what is it? At the moment, I’m squatting with a normal bar, but using the fanny pad to decrease the pressure on the shoulder. Seems to be OK so far.

Thanks again!

M.

Thanks Eric. I’ll look into it. According to people on this site, there’s a good PL gym about 10 miles away. I just have to see how long it actually takes to get there and what kind of time I have.

First year is brutual. But second year’s a lot more laid-back, and I have a gym right next to me. Not a great one, but with plenty of freeweights and racks and cages. So, I can always keep up with my training throughout the year and switch to Power Lifting when things calm down a little. It’s definitely something I wan to do at some point.

I would just contact the state chair; he/she would be able to hook you up with a good gym near you.

jsbrook wrote:

Eric Cressey wrote:

jsbrook wrote:

[/quote]

Bump for tonight; I’ll be on from 7-9 EST. Topics for discussion include:

• Indianapolis sports (didn’t get to it last time)

• How YOUR workout went today

• If you have stalled out on your training lately, what’s one thing you can do to help kick-start the gains?

As always any training, nutrition, supplementation or general questions will be fielded as well!

Stay strong
MR

I’m online and ready to rock; fire away!