Pride 33-> Upset Central

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
ArcaneCocaine wrote:

As for Barnett I didn’t like him for the first few min, then he warmed up and was great.

I agree. I thought Josh was great. The new PBP guy (his name escapes me) was also very smooth. However, they both made some ridiculous gaffes during the Silva-Hendo fight.

PBP guy on Wandy standing with Hendo: “you would think that a BJJ ace like Silva would want to take this fight to the ground”.

Huh? When has Wandy EVER wanted to take a fight to the ground, much less against on olympic silver medalist wrestler.

Josh on Wandy getting KO’d: “He hasn’t been KO’d in forever!”.

What? He KTFO five months ago Josh. You should know. You were there. You got your ass kicked by the same guy about an hour later.[/quote]

Josh also made a funny dig against Trigg during the Joachim by stating that very few good competitors get caught in the rear naked choke. I wish I could’ve seen Frank’s face.

[quote]Naphta wrote:
Steve4192 wrote:
ArcaneCocaine wrote:

As for Barnett I didn’t like him for the first few min, then he warmed up and was great.

I agree. I thought Josh was great. The new PBP guy (his name escapes me) was also very smooth. However, they both made some ridiculous gaffes during the Silva-Hendo fight.

PBP guy on Wandy standing with Hendo: “you would think that a BJJ ace like Silva would want to take this fight to the ground”.

Huh? When has Wandy EVER wanted to take a fight to the ground, much less against on olympic silver medalist wrestler.

Josh on Wandy getting KO’d: “He hasn’t been KO’d in forever!”.

What? He KTFO five months ago Josh. You should know. You were there. You got your ass kicked by the same guy about an hour later.

Josh also made a funny dig against Trigg during the Joachim by stating that very few good competitors get caught in the rear naked choke. I wish I could’ve seen Frank’s face.
[/quote]

The rear naked choke comment was classic!

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Josh is a very sarcastic guy, and clearly trying to be funny at the expense of Wandy. It made me laugh.[/quote]

It appears my sarcasm meter is broken.

The Wandy KO comment and Trigg RNC comment both failed to register as sarcasm. I am ashamed of myself.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

Josh is a very sarcastic guy, and clearly trying to be funny at the expense of Wandy. It made me laugh.

It appears my sarcasm meter is broken.

The Wandy KO comment and Trigg RNC comment both failed to register as sarcasm. I am ashamed of myself.[/quote]

Final thing , he also made A Manowar reference… I hope he was being sarcastic about that…

The Pride president stated that Silva was sick before the fight and had to go to hospital. If it’s true the man has balls for going out there. But we all know that anyway. I suppose it would explain why he did absoloutly nothing from his back. Usually he’s quite rabid with his punches when he has someone in his guard. His armbar attempt lacked any zip too.

I too didn’t understand the Barnett comment about Silva not being knocked out since forever. Was he being very subtle and doing a mock UFC by not acknowledging Cro Cop exists, because he fights for another org?

[quote]AdamC wrote:
The Pride president stated that Silva was sick before the fight and had to go to hospital.[/quote]

Meh.

I hate post-fight excuse-making.

I hated it when Dana blamed Chuck’s ass-whoopin’ at the hands of Rampage on a ‘torn quad’. I hated it when Ken Shamrock blamed his destruction at the hands of Tito Ortiz on a ‘torn ACL’. I hated it when Frank Shamrock accused one of the most honorable fighters in the sport (Renzo Gracie) of faking an injury in order to secure a DQ victory. And I hated it Sakakibara started making excuses for Wandy getting knocked the fuck out.

Thankfully, Wandy did not feel the need to make excuses and took his defeat like a man. Similar to how Chuck, to this day, shrugs off any suggestions that his loss to Rampage had anything to do with an injury.

If only Dana & Sakakibara were as graceful in defeat as their poster boys.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
AdamC wrote:
The Pride president stated that Silva was sick before the fight and had to go to hospital.

Meh.

I hate post-fight excuse-making.

I hated it when Dana blamed Chuck’s ass-whoopin’ at the hands of Rampage on a ‘torn quad’. I hated it when Ken Shamrock blamed his destruction at the hands of Tito Ortiz on a ‘torn ACL’. I hated it when Frank Shamrock accused one of the most honorable fighters in the sport (Renzo Gracie) of faking an injury in order to secure a DQ victory. And I hated it Sakakibara started making excuses for Wandy getting knocked the fuck out.

Thankfully, Wandy did not feel the need to make excuses and took his defeat like a man. Similar to how Chuck, to this day, shrugs off any suggestions that his loss to Rampage had anything to do with an injury.

If only Dana & Sakakibara were as graceful in defeat as their poster boys.[/quote]

True true.

Silva did say in an interview (it’s on front page of sherdog.com) that he had a fever and a bad throat the night before but when asked he said that was not the reason he lost. But in fairness, that kind of thing is gonna fuck you up.

Does anyone know when, and who, Fedor will fight next?

That was great.

1. Diaz vs gomi - gotta love the gog0plata. nick diaz is a great fighter. it seems like the only oponents he has any trouble with are those who are MUCH stronger (his losses to sanchez sherk and riggs being prime examples)

2. henderson vs silva - I was surprised not to see any submission attempts by silva when henderson was in his guard, not sure whethere this speaks to hendersons great ground skills or silvas relatively weak grappling.

3. lil nog vs sokoudjou - fluke? i dont know what to make of that.

4. James Lee vs travis wiuff - hadnt heard of this guy before but he was impressive, didnt let up for even a second.

[quote]Damici wrote:
[/quote]

Who: Matt Lindland
Where: Russia
For whom: Bodog Fight
When: March or April, I can’t recall exactly when

Thanks. I’m kind of new to being an MMA fan, so I don’t know much about Lindland. Does anyone expect him to have a chance against Fedor?

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Damici wrote:

Who: Matt Lindland
Where: Russia
For whom: Bodog Fight
When: March or April, I can’t recall exactly when[/quote]

[quote]kligor wrote:
Any thoughts on Henderson’s mention of moving up to heavyweight to claim that belt? Moving up to middleweight to fight Wandy was entirely possible. But come on, moving up to fight Fedor? [/quote]

Heh, if I had been the interviewer when Hendo was making that insinuation of fighting for another belt I would’ve been like, “Do you really think you can make the cut to 161?”

I guess its only appropriate to name my miscues over the past year:

I picked:

Babalu to beat Chuck right up until he was running across the ring after him

BJ to beat Hughes (and GSP)

Riggs to beat Diego…I thought Rigg’s standup would be the defining factor and that Diego wouldn’t be able to take him down…then that fucker gets ktfo. In fact, I’ve thought Diego was going to lose every fight he’s been in since his fight with Diaz. That asshole will probably lose the moment I bet on him to win…that might be worth the hundred though.

Lindland to beat Rampage, though I still think Lindland should’ve gotten that decision, or at least a draw

[quote]Damici wrote:
Thanks. I’m kind of new to being an MMA fan, so I don’t know much about Lindland. Does anyone expect him to have a chance against Fedor?[/quote]

Lindland is a stud … at 185 pounds. He’s essentially the same kind of fighter as Dan Henderson, but without the heavy hands. Against any other guy on the planet his own size, I absolutely believe Lindland would stand a good chance.

Against Fedor … not so much.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
I too didn’t understand the Barnett comment about Silva not being knocked out since forever. Was he being very subtle and doing a mock UFC by not acknowledging Cro Cop exists, because he fights for another org?[/quote]

I doubt it, he and Mirko have been very close since the OWGP and Josh is spending time in Croatia teaching Mirko some catch wrestling and Cro Cop is helping Josh with his stand up. Barnett has a frosty relationship with the Brazilian fighters because he always cracks on BJJ and rips on them for their inevitable excuses. I just figured he wanted to rip on Wandy a bit. The Trigg RNC comment was hilarious, you could hear Josh smiling when he said it.

I agree with Steve on the excuses. Find me a fighter that isn’t fighting hurt or sick, and you’ve found a fighter that hasn’t been fighting or training very long. Henderson broke his right hand in the first round, so he was far from 100%.

At least Gomi was honest, he said he didn’t train hard and thought Diaz would be a push over. While insulting to the fans who were rooting for him, at least he admited it and didn’t try to bullshit.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
AdamC wrote:
I too didn’t understand the Barnett comment about Silva not being knocked out since forever. Was he being very subtle and doing a mock UFC by not acknowledging Cro Cop exists, because he fights for another org?

I doubt it, he and Mirko have been very close since the OWGP and Josh is spending time in Croatia teaching Mirko some catch wrestling and Cro Cop is helping Josh with his stand up. Barnett has a frosty relationship with the Brazilian fighters because he always cracks on BJJ and rips on them for their inevitable excuses. I just figured he wanted to rip on Wandy a bit. The Trigg RNC comment was hilarious, you could hear Josh smiling when he said it.

I agree with Steve on the excuses. Find me a fighter that isn’t fighting hurt or sick, and you’ve found a fighter that hasn’t been fighting or training very long. Henderson broke his right hand in the first round, so he was far from 100%.

At least Gomi was honest, he said he didn’t train hard and thought Diaz would be a push over. While insulting to the fans who were rooting for him, at least he admited it and didn’t try to bullshit.

[/quote]

Whoah, really? Mirko and Josh have been training together?

This seems great for both fighters. While Mirko has fabricio to work with, catch wrestling will help. And Josh… well, if Mirko could teach him to stop ducking his head in to those punches… seriously, sometimes I think he’s asking for an uppercut…

[quote]Naphta wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
AdamC wrote:

This seems great for both fighters. While Mirko has fabricio to work with, catch wrestling will help. And Josh… well, if Mirko could teach him to stop ducking his head in to those punches… seriously, sometimes I think he’s asking for an uppercut…[/quote]

Actually, Mirko let Werdum leave to start his own team in Brazil. I think it’s called Team Hunter. Werdum set up Mirko with Jacare though, so he is now Team Cro Cop’s BJJ coach. Mirko doesn’t fuck around when it comes to training partners.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Naphta wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
AdamC wrote:

This seems great for both fighters. While Mirko has fabricio to work with, catch wrestling will help. And Josh… well, if Mirko could teach him to stop ducking his head in to those punches… seriously, sometimes I think he’s asking for an uppercut…

Actually, Mirko let Werdum leave to start his own team in Brazil. I think it’s called Team Hunter. Werdum set up Mirko with Jacare though, so he is now Team Cro Cop’s BJJ coach. Mirko doesn’t fuck around when it comes to training partners.[/quote]

I don’t think I have been paying attention. I didn’t know that about Werdum.
Barnett has worked with Mirko thay even had an article detaailing it a few months ago in Japan. Jacare and Mirko I know worked together for a show in Brazil. Jacare being Mirko’s BJJ coach is great. Jacare is awesome.
Gomi should know he can’t afford to not train. That’s silly. Though that explains why he was swinging away trying to finsih.

I only got round to watching the PPV last night, all I can say is holy shit.

Also, kudos to slimjim. That was some fairly prodigious prediction from you.

The amount of KOs was unprecedented. The upsets were incredible.

Wandy is a broken man, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that he had Hendo on the Ground by the ropes in exactly the same position as the first Sakuraba fight.

You could see him coming to terms with the fact that he couldn’t start delivering knees to the nape of Dan’s neck, no soccer kicks or face stomps either.

I think that the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s rules had more effect on him than any other fighter.

Even so, he was resolutely beaten, hats off to Henderson. He deserved the win.

Hopefully this loss will give Silva the drive to fight like the ‘cachorro loco’ of days gone by.

[quote]jarvis wrote:
I only got round to watching the PPV last night, all I can say is holy shit.

Also, kudos to slimjim. That was some fairly prodigious prediction from you.

The amount of KOs was unprecedented. The upsets were incredible.

Wandy is a broken man, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that he had Hendo on the Ground by the ropes in exactly the same position as the first Sakuraba fight.

You could see him coming to terms with the fact that he couldn’t start delivering knees to the nape of Dan’s neck, no soccer kicks or face stomps either.

I think that the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s rules had more effect on him than any other fighter.

Even so, he was resolutely beaten, hats off to Henderson. He deserved the win.

Hopefully this loss will give Silva the drive to fight like the ‘cachorro loco’ of days gone by. [/quote]

Yeah, people don’t mention that a lot. Wandy got Henderson in a bunch of positions where you could see him pause and think about stomping, kicking or kneeing.

I remember specifically a sloppy shot from Henderson that Wandy sprawled on, head locked… and then… wondered.