Pride 33-> Upset Central

Unreal upsets here. This is the best pay per view I’ve ever seen myself. I can’t believe all of the upsets, and great fights.
How about Gomi!? I know that Diaz won the fight, but I couldn’t believe Gomi stayed on his feet that long. How much long do you guys think until Gomi gets another shot at Diaz?

[quote]slimjim wrote:
You may all bow to the mighty slimjim. Thank you.[/quote]

Why? You completely missed the Little Nog call, You suck!!! :slight_smile:

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
slimjim wrote:
You may all bow to the mighty slimjim. Thank you.

Why? You completely missed the Little Nog call, You suck!!! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

True, but I did put down a hundred on sodoku…in addition to 200 each on hendo, diaz, and trigg…I figured those three would cover a throw away bet of a hundred against nog, now I wish would’ve put down two hundred down. With these winnings, I can make it to the next PRide event in Vegas…wohooo

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Okay, I may be jumping the gun here calling out some potential upsets, but all the same, I won’t lie about the fact that I’m throwing down a couple hundred on Diaz to topple Gomi.

I am jaded by the fact that Diaz is my favorite fighter, even supplanting BJ at the top of my list because the guy simply shows up to fight every fight. So maybe I’m betting based on prejudice, never a good idea.

However, I also believe Trigg will beat Misaki. Pose whatever arguments you will, you aren’t going to convince me otherwise right now. I can’t stand Trigg’s commentating, but after hearing what he had to say before his fight with Miller and then seeing him perform, he has made me a believer. Misaki will not win this one.

Hendo vs Silva. Now I know Silva is the overwhelming favorite in this fight. BUT, there’s always a but after such a statement. Hendo is always a game competitor, and as the better wrestler, he could take Wanderlei down and dominate…

it isn’t as if Silva has ever proved to have a good submission game from his back. This is a maybe upset, not as possible as the other two, but possible all the same.

Rest of the card is not shaping up as competitively, but man I am way more excited about this than I was when it was just Silva vs Henderson.

Diaz is going to win godammit.[/quote]

Clap clap clap. You called it!

[quote]mj_gk wrote:
Unreal upsets here. This is the best pay per view I’ve ever seen myself. I can’t believe all of the upsets, and great fights.
How about Gomi!? I know that Diaz won the fight, but I couldn’t believe Gomi stayed on his feet that long. How much long do you guys think until Gomi gets another shot at Diaz?[/quote]

Probably because Diaz doesn’t hit very hard. I know he knocked out Lawler but that was more of an accurate punch than a hard punch.

Gomi looked like shit in that fight. But credit to Diaz, he showed balls and skills.

Wanderlei looked like shit too. Especially on his back. He just layed there. He didn’t look right at all.

The biggest shock for me was Nog getting knocked out. Of all people!

gomi vs diaz for cheap bastards

Holy ball sack. I thought his card would suck, but top to bottom it was the best PPV I’ve ever seen, even better than Bushido 9. What a crazy ass night.

The only low point was that fat twat Mike Russow trying to claim he didn’t tap while the jumotron showed him slow motion tapping about 7 times on Kharitonov’s thigh. Tool.

This is the first time a Noguiera brother has been finished. Ever. Freaky. I imagine a rematch is right around the corner. Biggest upset since Randleman knocked out Mirko. Probably a bigger upset when you look at where the fighters stood. How this for some MMA math:

Wandy<Henderson<Lil Nog<Sokudjou<Glover Teixeira<Ed Herman

Thus, Ed Herman is now #2 LHW in the world :wink:

Henderson fought the fight of his life. He’s been given so much shit for his recent streak of just doing enough to win fights that he’s been called “Decision Dan”. That all went out the window and Dan fought like an animal. A heroic effort worthy of adulation. He gave me goose bumps.

Wanderlei, it would appear, has fallen to our worst fears and Cro Cop has broken his image, much like Wandy broke Rampage. Where he goes from here, I don’t know. Shogun will surely get the title shot at Dan, and rightfully so. The fight versus Chuck has lost it’s shine, especially with Mirko and Chuck praising each other in every interview and talking of how they want to fight.

Gomi, I surely hope, was high on acid. He obviously didn’t give a shit, was in horrendous shape, and deserved to get tapped. I never liked him, and after that performance I dislike him even more. No offense to Diaz, he’s a great fighter, fought a great fight, but just look at his face. Gomi fought like a drunk retard and still dropped him and almost got a TKO on cuts.

Shogun’s KO of Alistair on the ground was the smoothest, quickest, slickest piece of G’n’P I have ever seen. Beautiful the way he planted that. Shogun is the most dangerous LHW in the world on the ground.

Awesome, awesome fights, great presentation. I wish Barnett could do PBP for every fight.

And Slimjim, you are the balls sir.

Can’t wait for Henderson And Shogun for the Belt. Shogun should get the first shot, he deserves it the most, and I think if he does get his shot the belt will be coming back to chute box.

Any thoughts on Henderson’s mention of moving up to heavyweight to claim that belt? Moving up to middleweight to fight Wandy was entirely possible. But come on, moving up to fight Fedor?

I would like to see a rematch between Gomi and Diaz. That was entertaining. Pretty strange with Gomi being exhausted so early, the guy is used to ten minute rounds and can’t go three? He is eating too much ramen between fights. Good for Diaz. Though he looked bad the first few minutes.
Good for Dan also. I don’t think Dan winnning was that far-fetched, knocking Silva out though I didn’t expect. I think Silva should take a break. He has been absolutely hammered by Crocop, now Henderson. That style/(lack of)strategy of his isn’t working anymore.
At least Kawajiri pulled through.

Sorry for all my gloating, this is the first time in a long time I’ve actually been right on a fight that mattered.

Wandy just looked off. He was not aggressive at all which was totally not him. I’ve heard rumors that he was hospitalized with tonsillitis and a fever in the days leading up to the fight, so that may be one explanation. I hope it isn’t that he’s just lost his killer instinct after being dismantled by crocop, cause that would pretty much be the end of him.

I think Gomi blew his wad in those initial exchanges and takedowns…fighting tense will sap any fighter, but you’d think someone with Gomi’s ring experience wouldn’t fall victim to that. I don’t know, but I thought Diaz was going to be finished when Gomi dropped him and started punching him from his back. That comeback from Diaz is one of the greatest things I’ve seen in MMA, right up there with Fedor coming back to choke out Fujita. Lots of heart on display, and he’s only 23. That guy is a fighter through and through.

Soudoukju, though garnering me a sweet payoff (he was +1000 when I put a hundred on him,) didn’t fight long enough to know what he has to offer besides a devastating left hook. I didn’t see that coming at all.

All in all, this card delivered from top to bottom. Both the UFC and Pride need to do more of this, competitive bouts instead of gimmes for their top guys are the way to win fans and keep them. Enough of the hero protection, lets see Crocop-Arlovski, GSP-Diego, Fedor-Barnett, Silva-Lindland, Bisping-Rashad, Forrest, Jardine, Koschek-Hughes

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Sorry for all my gloating, this is the first time in a long time I’ve actually been right on a fight that mattered.

Wandy just looked off. He was not aggressive at all which was totally not him. I’ve heard rumors that he was hospitalized with tonsillitis and a fever in the days leading up to the fight, so that may be one explanation. I hope it isn’t that he’s just lost his killer instinct after being dismantled by crocop, cause that would pretty much be the end of him.

I think Gomi blew his wad in those initial exchanges and takedowns…fighting tense will sap any fighter, but you’d think someone with Gomi’s ring experience wouldn’t fall victim to that. I don’t know, but I thought Diaz was going to be finished when Gomi dropped him and started punching him from his back. That comeback from Diaz is one of the greatest things I’ve seen in MMA, right up there with Fedor coming back to choke out Fujita. Lots of heart on display, and he’s only 23. That guy is a fighter through and through.

Soudoukju, though garnering me a sweet payoff (he was +1000 when I put a hundred on him,) didn’t fight long enough to know what he has to offer besides a devastating left hook. I didn’t see that coming at all.

All in all, this card delivered from top to bottom. Both the UFC and Pride need to do more of this, competitive bouts instead of gimmes for their top guys are the way to win fans and keep them. Enough of the hero protection, lets see Crocop-Arlovski, GSP-Diego, Fedor-Barnett, Silva-Lindland, Bisping-Rashad, Forrest, Jardine, Koschek-Hughes[/quote]

Totally agree. Forest is going to have his work cut out for him with lyoto machida coming up though, and once diego finishes koscheck I’m sure he’ll get a title shot finally.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[/quote]

I think you earned the right to gloat when you called that many upsets!

[mental note, never bet against slimjim]

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
No offense to Diaz, he’s a great fighter, fought a great fight, but just look at his face. Gomi fought like a drunk retard and still dropped him and almost got a TKO on cuts.[/quote]

Where did that cut under Diaz’s right eye come from?

His face was fine right up until Takanori hit that knee to the body and Nick clinched him in the corner. If you watch the youtube video, you can clearly see that the cut is not there at the 7:13 mark just moments before the clinch and knee to the ribs.

Then, next thing you know, Nick is bleeding like a stuck pig all over Gomi’s side. The only thing I can think of is that they butted heads as Gomi was securing the clinch in order to land the knee.

Am I missing something, or was that cut opened by an accidental headbutt?

[quote]slimjim wrote:
You may all bow to the mighty slimjim. Thank you.[/quote]

Do you happen to drive a Delorean?

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Shogun’s KO of Alistair on the ground was the smoothest, quickest, slickest piece of G’n’P I have ever seen. Beautiful the way he planted that. Shogun is the most dangerous LHW in the world on the ground.

Awesome, awesome fights, great presentation. I wish Barnett could do PBP for every fight.
[/quote]

Shogun is going to take the belt…then the UFC belt. :wink:

I agree that presentation just blew away anything the UFC has put on.

That whole card just fucken rocked.

As for Barnett I didn’t like him for the first few min, then he warmed up and was great. Kang was pretty good to behind the mic as well.

I think Gomi lost due to bad cardio more than anything else.

And now for the question we have all been waiting for…

Slimjim what are your pics for the next UFC? :wink:

Here’s most of the Henderson-Silva fight:

[quote]ArcaneCocaine wrote:

As for Barnett I didn’t like him for the first few min, then he warmed up and was great.[/quote]

I agree. I thought Josh was great. The new PBP guy (his name escapes me) was also very smooth. However, they both made some ridiculous gaffes during the Silva-Hendo fight.

PBP guy on Wandy standing with Hendo: “you would think that a BJJ ace like Silva would want to take this fight to the ground”.

Huh? When has Wandy EVER wanted to take a fight to the ground, much less against on olympic silver medalist wrestler.

Josh on Wandy getting KO’d: “He hasn’t been KO’d in forever!”.

What? He KTFO five months ago Josh. You should know. You were there. You got your ass kicked by the same guy about an hour later.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:

Huh? When has Wandy EVER wanted to take a fight to the ground, much less against on olympic silver medalist wrestler.

Josh on Wandy getting KO’d: “He hasn’t been KO’d in forever!”.

What? He KTFO five months ago Josh. You should know. You were there. You got your ass kicked by the same guy about an hour later.[/quote]

Josh is a very sarcastic guy, and clearly trying to be funny at the expense of Wandy. It made me laugh.