Pookie's Got a New Log

Brian alsruhe advocates training both, and yeah some other strongman pros don’t bother with strict at all. Just another one of those things that boils down to whatever works for you

1 Like

4/19 Deadlift Volume Day
Started sets at 335 and worked up to a double at 425. Got a stinger in my hamstring and had to stop before going up again. Still got a good bit of volume in, but I was looking for another set at 425. Offshore workouts suck.

2 Likes

4/20 Kettlebell Day

300 reps kettlebell swing with 60 lb kettlebell.

50, 20, 19, 1, 18, 2, 17, 3, 16, 4, 15, 5, 14, 6, 13, 7, 12, 8, 11, 9, 20, 15, 15

Kept rest to a minimum. This is less total volume than my normal kettlebell workout, but it was more reps. Still taxing. We’ll see how the next couple of days play out.

Hey man, cool that you opened up that gym that you’ve been talking about a while ago. Do you have any pictures to share?

1 Like

Sure do @Koestrizer My 600 sq ft piece of heaven

I’ve some videos uploaded to our YouTube channel under Pookie’s Powerhouse where you can see more of it, but this is probably the best picture I have. I’ve added flooring since this so there’s stall mats throughout most of the building now.

3 Likes

Wow nice cozy gym community you got there. Nice

1 Like

This was from a seminar I did for the grand opening. I got Dimitar to come up from Orlando. We’ve swapped things around a little bit since then, but yeah- very tight group.

Scratch that. We’re on YouTube under Pookie Krackerschmidt.

1 Like

Drank strawberry milk with breakfast. Feel bloated and gassy. Nothing seems to make me feel quite as bad as milk. Went weeks without drinking a glass of milk and had no issues. Apparently my body now hates it.

1 Like

That’s just depressing…you could try to take a few ounces everyday though. Maybe your body can adapt and make lactase again slowly

Worth a shot for sure.

What TF is this, Crossfit? haha I kid.

1 Like

Man, that is gorgeous, ha, what kind of membership do you have? Invite only?

1 Like

You know, I’ve been thinking about this. There seems to be some resemblance between Crossfit and strongman. I’m talking about the real crossfit, how it was meant to be. Not the highly commercialized bastardized version

2 Likes

Well- so far it’s only people I’ve personally invited. :joy:

I’m keeping it low key and letting people come in to try them out, but I won’t sell a membership to someone I don’t personally want to work with. So yeah… kind of invite only.

2 Likes

4/22 offshore
Back that back up night

Barbell rows
45 2 x 10
135 2 x 8
225 2 x 6
315 2 x 4
405 2 x 4
315 4 x 6

Lat pull down
second plate from the stack
4 x 8

DUR’s (cable)
4 x 12

Wanted to hit a heavy back night and got it. 405 second set wasn’t the cleanest. Last 2 reps on both were probably from the top of the knees. Had only planned on 2 sets for backoff, but figured I’d hit 4 since I was feeling good.

DURs make my shoulders feel better. Well… that, liberal application of Tiger Balm, hot shower, and another application of Tiger Balm.

1 Like

4/23 OHP offshore

Evil Justin progression

Missed last 245 press on first attempt from bar getting out of the groove. Was able to make it easily on second attempt without re-racking bar.

100 triceps cable extensions on right arm since it’s lagging.

Good workout for offshore.

4/24 Upper Body Accessory Workout Offshore

Felt like getting some slingshot bench work in. It’s been a while since I’ve used it, so let’s see how it goes.

Narrow(er) grip slingshot bench
3x3 335
1x3 315

JM presses
4x12 135 using slingshot to keep my elbows in place, Leaned a little more toward triceps barbell extension than a JM press, but got a decent pump out of it in the right places.

Cable ab twists (120 lbs)
5x10 each side

General plan was to do 4 sets of 3 on the slingshot bench, but I fucked up the bench setup and had difficulty re-racking the barbell on the second and third set because I was too lazy to actually fix my set up and decided to plow ahead. Got a bit nervous about the 4th set and decided to drop the 10’s so I knew I’d get it.

Other than that, fought a damn sinus headache all day and didn’t think I’d get a good workout in, but not bad after all.

4/26 not so little in the middle but got much back night

Ok- how many shitty names can I come up with for back day? Let’s keep rolling and find out.

Tonight was very simple-

100 smith machine rows at 205 supersetting with 100 cable machine DURs at 55

First two sets of rows were 15 reps sets before I thought to superset. Did a set of 20 DURs, 10, smith, and another 20 DURs to catch up. Finished out doing 10 reps each set. Focused on feeling the movement. Back felt swol! Not sure this was smart before deadlift day tomorrow.

1 Like

4/27 DE Deadlift Day

385 (~70%) for 9 x 2

I started playing with my foot position after about the 4th set and found that I was much quicker a little narrower. Well… I say a little narrower… probably about 4 inches on both sides. I went from hands being on the outside of the power ring to hands being inside the power ring. LIfts felt crisper and were faster. Just takes me a little longer to set up.

I’m also attempting IF. I went from 1800 last night to 1200 today without eating. For lunch I had a steak (estimating ~12oz), chicken drumstick, mushrooms, about 4 oz sausage, large baked potato with three TBSP of sour cream, another TBSP of butter, cheese, and bacon bits. Add a sweet tea with lots of lemon and it comes up to about an 1,800 calorie meal. Let’s see how I feel in a couple of days.

1 Like