Please Critique My Box Squat

[quote]Koing wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Koing wrote:
Dominator wrote:
I found that you need to keep your knees out more…your knees were pitching in quite a bit, and that can either be a flexibility problem in the groin or weak glutes/abductors.

Yes in a perfect world your knees would stay out wide…on max weight for a lot of guys the knees come in.

This guys knee comes in quite a bit on his Clean recovery. I don’t see many guys Cleaning and Jerking 215Kg!

A lot of guys can do max Cleans without knees coming in not an inch though.

I don’t know about a lot guys having their knees coming in at max weights…I train with guys that lift between 600-900lbs on their box squat, and they’re able to keep their knees out all the time, so I’m not sure what the point was to show a guy coming out of the hole with 215Kg and his knees pitching in (that’s speed weight for a lot of guys I know). The problem has to do with weak glutes/abductors or a flexability issue in the groin, that was more or less of my point.

I’m saying on more max weight stuff form isn’t perfect. But yes in an ideal world it would be.

I’m sure very few of the 600-900lb box squat guys could Clean & Jerk 180Kg let alone 215Kg.

I’m just saying it is going to happen.[/quote]

Well, my point completely flew over your head…your defense for knees pitching in was a 215Kg C&J, and while impressive nonetheless, it has nothing to do with my point. As you state, “how many 600-900lbs squatter can C&J 180Kg…,” well, how many guys who Jerk 215Kg squat 900lbs? It’s the same lousy defense, and really an apples and sausages comparison. Knee pitch is bad and should be addressed either by corrective strength imbalance or improved flexibility.

[quote]FredB4 wrote:
You mean short amount of time right. [/quote]

Yeah, sorry bout that, brain fart.

My point was that you generate a shit-ton more power in a hang snatch or similar exercise than in a maximal box squat. If you want to develop the ability to generate power and you’re not seriously lacking in limit strength, box squat singles are a poor choice.

An okay choice if you have a low limit strength, though there’s better.

-Dan

I think your form looked decent. If you olympic lifted in the past, you’re probably used to carrying the bar high, but you should definitely play around with a lower bar placement.

Also, when you’ve pushed your butt back, start pushing your knees out on descent. Finally, you’d probably be better off using a low box for heavier work, and a box like you used in the video for speed work.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
FredB4 wrote:
You mean short amount of time right.

My point was that you generate a shit-ton more power in a hang snatch or similar exercise than in a maximal box squat. If you want to develop the ability to generate power and you’re not seriously lacking in limit strength, box squat singles are a poor choice.

-Dan

[/quote]

I agree with this, but if you want to get better at squatting, I think box squats are a near necessity. I guess it all depends on your goals, and I don’t know what the OP’s goals are.

FredB4 wrote:

-Dan

[/quote]

I see what you mean. My main goal using box squat was to develop starting strength. But yes for maximum power output, hang snatches or hang cleans are better choices.

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
I think your form looked decent. If you olympic lifted in the past, you’re probably used to carrying the bar high, but you should definitely play around with a lower bar placement.

Also, when you’ve pushed your butt back, start pushing your knees out on descent. Finally, you’d probably be better off using a low box for heavier work, and a box like you used in the video for speed work. [/quote]

Excellent advices, thank you. So, lower bar placement and knees out on descent. For the lower box squat, I will eventually lower it but I need more flexibility, especially in the groin muscles.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
buffalokilla wrote:
FredB4 wrote:

-Dan

I agree with this, but if you want to get better at squatting, I think box squats are a near necessity. I guess it all depends on your goals, and I don’t know what the OP’s goals are.[/quote]

NO NO NO NO NO!!! I hate they way westside has become the new training dogma. It’s an excellent system and produces alot of freakishly strong people, but to say box squats are a neccessity is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Maybe for WPO guys and other super wide stances it’s important, but for the IPF it’s definately not neccessary. Look at Gillingham, Siders and Coan. The majority of their squatting was done for reps with out a box.

I know this is gonna sound harsh, but alot of American guys are so insular that they don’t even realise that outside of the APF and WPO there’s guys in the IPF doing low squats with absolutely ridculous amounts of weight.

Look at wade hooper… his videos are all over youtube, IPF champ and all his training squats are traditional back squats.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:
buffalokilla wrote:
FredB4 wrote:

-Dan

I agree with this, but if you want to get better at squatting, I think box squats are a near necessity. I guess it all depends on your goals, and I don’t know what the OP’s goals are.

NO NO NO NO NO!!! I hate they way westside has become the new training dogma. It’s an excellent system and produces alot of freakishly strong people, but to say box squats are a neccessity is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Maybe for WPO guys and other super wide stances it’s important, but for the IPF it’s definately not neccessary. Look at Gillingham, Siders and Coan. The majority of their squatting was done for reps with out a box.

I know this is gonna sound harsh, but alot of American guys are so insular that they don’t even realise that outside of the APF and WPO there’s guys in the IPF doing low squats with absolutely ridculous amounts of weight.

Look at wade hooper… his videos are all over youtube, IPF champ and all his training squats are traditional back squats.

[/quote]

I knew someone was going to disagree and that’s fine. It’s just my opinion. By the way, I’m not a Westside fanatic or even a competitive powerlifter, just a guy who loves box squats.

I’m not so naive as to think you can’t build a great squat without box squats, you definitely can. I just think for many people, the box squat will help more than it will hurt. Maybe I shouldn’t have said it was a necessity. (I actually said “near necessity.”}

And nothing you said sounded harsh to me, I don’t even keep up with the different feds.

In the end, I think they’re great and in my personal experiences, with people I actually know and lift with, box squats have been a great addition. That’s all. I ddin’t want to start a battle about it.

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
Hes wearing the air jordan XIs concords,
one of the greatest shoes ever made!
made yea get some nike frees they are the best for training, especially doing plyo,
i swear it gives u 1-2 inches.
Good job on the box squats
how do those feel compare to ur free squats? heavier or lighter? [/quote]

how does frees give u 1-2in?

I’d guess it’s because of the harder surface.

[quote]FredB4 wrote:
I see what you mean. My main goal using box squat was to develop starting strength. But yes for maximum power output, hang snatches or hang cleans are better choices.[/quote]

Ah okay, sorry for the sidetrack :slight_smile: Certainly a decent choice then, but why not do bottom up squats or deadlifts from a podium (or stacked 100lbs plates) then for a true static start? From a safety perspective, they’re a lot safer on a missed lift. Whenever people get stuck on boxes it really makes me cringe.

Have a good one,

Dan

FredB4 wrote:
I see what you mean. My main goal using box squat was to develop starting strength. But yes for maximum power output, hang snatches or hang cleans are better choices.

Ah okay, sorry for the sidetrack :slight_smile: Certainly a decent choice then, but why not do bottom up squats or deadlifts from a podium (or stacked 100lbs plates) then for a true static start? From a safety perspective, they’re a lot safer on a missed lift. Whenever people get stuck on boxes it really makes me cringe.

Have a good one,

Dan[/quote]

That’s true, I can’t do bottoms up squat (no power rack…) but I do bottoms up bench and I really like it. Deadlift is another great exercise for starting strength, I alternate it sumo style for my heavy day.

Well I think if you do it right and set your ego aside you would have very low risk to get stuck. Not to say a spotter or safety pins aren’t a must.