Please Critique My Box Squat

I’ve done them for a couple of months only, and It’s the first time I go a little higher with the weights, so still not so sure about the technique. Any advice would be appreciated…

What are you training for? Doesn’t look bad, but check out defranco’s site-in the most recent ask joe article he has a video of a box squat. Personally I don’t like the box squat.

A side view would be much easier to critique. I see the tight arch in your back and fully sitting on the box. Both are a plus. However I’m not sure if you’re sitting back far enough and if you’re not then your knees may be over your toes. That’s no good. Also you canpush your knees out to the sides a little harder. It looks like they cave in a bit

[quote]FredB4 wrote:

I’ve done them for a couple of months only, and It’s the first time I go a little higher with the weights, so still not so sure about the technique. Any advice would be appreciated…[/quote]

Good Job

Good JOb

Good JOb

Looks o.k. to me. My only thought was that I didn’t see any spotters close enough to matter and those weights (possibly the first and definitely the second set) looked like they were challenging. Just how were you planning to dump the bar in the event that you missed? Other than that, I don’t see any big problems.

Overall I think you’re doing a good job. A side view would be good to see how far you are sitting back like someone else mentioned.

I would place the box/plates closer so you don’t have to take so many steps to get into position. No need to use extra effort for the setup. Also, many people use 2 or 3 different box heights, high, low and a little below parallel. I would consider this a high box. You might also benefit from some box squats 2 and 4 inches lower.

Nice work.

what kind of sneakers are you wearing? Get some chucks or nike frees.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
A side view would be much easier to critique. I see the tight arch in your back and fully sitting on the box. Both are a plus. However I’m not sure if you’re sitting back far enough and if you’re not then your knees may be over your toes. That’s no good. Also you canpush your knees out to the sides a little harder. It looks like they cave in a bit[/quote]

Thanks for the critiques. I will post a side view next time. I corrected it so my knees don’t go forward but I definitely need to push out to the sides more. Of course it’s easier to do right when the weight is lighter.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Looks o.k. to me. My only thought was that I didn’t see any spotters close enough to matter and those weights (possibly the first and definitely the second set) looked like they were challenging. Just how were you planning to dump the bar in the event that you missed? Other than that, I don’t see any big problems. [/quote]

haha… Well I had someone watch me just in case but I knew it would be a successful lift. I did several singles both at 180kg and 190kg.

Hes wearing the air jordan XIs concords,
one of the greatest shoes ever made!
made yea get some nike frees they are the best for training, especially doing plyo,
i swear it gives u 1-2 inches.
Good job on the box squats
how do those feel compare to ur free squats? heavier or lighter?

[quote]Seattle_Lifter wrote:
Overall I think you’re doing a good job. A side view would be good to see how far you are sitting back like someone else mentioned.

I would place the box/plates closer so you don’t have to take so many steps to get into position. No need to use extra effort for the setup. Also, many people use 2 or 3 different box heights, high, low and a little below parallel. I would consider this a high box. You might also benefit from some box squats 2 and 4 inches lower.

Nice work.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I will use this height of box for heavier weights and slightly below for dynamic work with bands. But right now I still have some flexibility issues so I will stay around parallel or slightly above like that. But you’re very right, the box should be closer to me.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
what kind of sneakers are you wearing? Get some chucks or nike frees.[/quote]

These are old Jordans, I do need new shoes!!

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
made yea get some nike frees they are the best for training, especially doing plyo,
how do those feel compare to ur free squats? heavier or lighter? [/quote]

Yes those are the ones, just a lot dirtier!!!
The box squat felt heavier initially cause I use to always squat olympic lifting style. That’s also why I’m WAY quad dominant. But it’s starting to catch up. I like it better like that because it’s an explosive lift from the start so there are no sticking point. That’s perfect for me cause I use to get stuck just above parallel all the time.

Thats cool
my box squat is about 100 pounds more than my free squat at the same depth.

[quote]FredB4 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:

The box squat felt heavier initially cause I use to always squat olympic lifting style. That’s also why I’m WAY quad dominant. But it’s starting to catch up. I like it better like that because it’s an explosive lift from the start so there are no sticking point. That’s perfect for me cause I use to get stuck just above parallel all the time. [/quote]

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
Thats cool
my box squat is about 100 pounds more than my free squat at the same depth.

FredB4 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:

The box squat felt heavier initially cause I use to always squat olympic lifting style. That’s also why I’m WAY quad dominant. But it’s starting to catch up. I like it better like that because it’s an explosive lift from the start so there are no sticking point. That’s perfect for me cause I use to get stuck just above parallel all the time.

[/quote]

Yes I can tell you have very strong and explosive posterior chain. What’s your max Frank? About 500lbs?

box squat to parallel about 485

i’m dumping free squats for low box squats and front squats now

My beef with box squats is that if you are a powerlifter they really aren’t that useful. Something about sitting down with that much weight on my back just isn’t right. Many coaches and lifters have had success with them but many don’t use them at all. I don’t see how it is an explosive lift. Watching the video, I see a slow concentric. If someone can explain how that is explosive go ahead. Front squat forever.