Planet Fitness - My experience

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Razamataz wrote:
I?ve never been to Planet Fitness, but LAFitness is pretty bad. After lifting a massive 135 deadlift, I was told by two managers that ?We don?t allow powerlifting. We don?t cater to that type of lifting.? Which is the most polite way I?ve ever been told ?your kind ain?t welcome? I?ve ever heard. I still don?t know what he thinks powerlifting is, because we were standing between a squat rack and a bench press.

The same thing happened at another location after location after I was guaranteed that deadlifting wouldn?t be a problem. They then refused to refund my money despite telling me they would if there were any problems.
[/quote]
I’ve always been happy with la fitness. I’ve been to a few around Houston and never had an issue. They always have multiple squat racks and cages too.

Not a “hard core” gym by any means but lots of big dudes moving heavy weight. Weighted chins, deadlifts, squats, rack pulls… I think yours just has bad mgmt.[/quote]

I realize all chains differ from location to location depending on management. I loved the Bally’s location I was at because the manager had no expirence in gym management and didn’t seem to have the bullshit hang-ups that plauge most other gym managers I’ve seen (“Chalk? I don’t seen any reason you can’t use chalk.”)
But the LAFitness’s in my area are particularly bad. Both have crappy power racks that made you wonder if they would really spot you and squat racks with the most ridicoulously high uprights I’ve ever seen. I wasn’t even able to squat to parallel and I’m 6ft tall. I’ve never seen equipment that was designed with poor exercise technique in mind.[/quote]

The Bally’s here suck. LA Fitness (when I worked near one and trained there) had great equipment. There was never anything wrong with the gym itself. If I still was near one, I would likely still use them. I go to Fitness Connection and 24 Hour Fitness now.[/quote]

Bally’s usually sucks, that’s why they went bankrupt and finally got bought out by…LAFitness! 24 doesn’t seem to be that bad. I’ve never had any problems with them.[/quote]

The problem with that is they area ll at my gym! Its not big enough to support the Bally’s people and so people are quitting and moving on.

[quote]Nards wrote:
C’mon guys you know I’m not racist. I’m from Winnipeg and have no basis to even judge a black person from. I think one flew over my province in a plane once.[/quote]

The indians won’t let them in. What are you gonna do?

[quote]Samir wrote:
So I went to see the Habs vs. Sabres in Buffalo on February 17th.

Friday night, we hit up the town and noticed not much going on so we went back to the hotel and did a shoulder workout @ the gym.

Saturday, I put the GPS address for Buffalo Gold’s Gym into my unit only to be led to a gym that closed down. While driving around aimlessly as my friend searched in my GPS for a gym, we hit upon planet fitness in WEST SENECA, NY.

Of course we decided to check it out. Here’s me in front of it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409488_10150568320236989_506006988_9230469_293252167_n.jpg

Once inside, we were greeted with courtesy by the receptionist. I noticed a great sign.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427116_10150568677111989_506006988_9231801_2112241185_n.jpg

“Bodybuilding tanktops”. Hahahha.

I estimated that about 75% of the gym was treadmills and ellipticals.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430880_10150568321356989_506006988_9230477_114122012_n.jpg

There was another great sign near the entrance, instructing us to leave our egos at the door:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407399_10150568320541989_506006988_9230472_626907696_n.jpg

That’s great because, well, it’s hard to show your ego to anyone on an elliptical trainer.

Below the sign marked “judgment free zone” was a 10-machine 30-minute circuit managed by a traffic light. Light goes green, you go to machine. Light goes red, you stopped.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/431147_10150568320866989_506006988_9230474_1662216772_n.jpg

Hahahah, what an epic concept. Overall an OK gym, and the denizens were quite funny. Saw a 300 pound guy doing bicep curls, several grannies “power walking” the treadmills, zero power racks on site but I don’t think others noticed.

So I went in and did benches, deadlifts, pull-ups, dips, and left. I took a tootsie roll (seriously they’re in a bowl at the front desk) and a couple of yellow and purple pens on the way out for posterity. I benched 235 on a purple rack.

Sunday we drove to Gold’s Gym in Rochester.
[/quote]

super cool story bro.

how many of these do we have to read about on this website?

We all know planet fitness sucks ass.

Im happy with my LA Fitness as well, the staff doesent bust my Balls about chalk and DLing. 2 squat racks and a cage which isnt bad for a commercial gym. Relatively clean, DBs go up to 125 which again for a commercial gym isnt bad. Plus with the family package my wife and I get to go for 30 bucks each which is pretty good