Planet Fitness - My experience

I?ve never been to Planet Fitness, but LAFitness is pretty bad. After lifting a massive 135 deadlift, I was told by two managers that ?We don?t allow powerlifting. We don?t cater to that type of lifting.? Which is the most polite way I?ve ever been told ?your kind ain?t welcome? I?ve ever heard. I still don?t know what he thinks powerlifting is, because we were standing between a squat rack and a bench press.

The same thing happened at another location after location after I was guaranteed that deadlifting wouldn?t be a problem. They then refused to refund my money despite telling me they would if there were any problems.

[quote]late2thegame wrote:

The best!!!

IN all honesty I would not want that guy in my gym either…but also he’s not exactly real.

Every PF seems to be run differently and has some different equipment as well. I belonged to one for a year and the management was very hands-off and almost anything was allowed. I never saw anyone talked to, never heard a lunk alarm go off either.

It does cater to those who will probably not show up that often and is definitely a cash cow. For all but the extreme hardcore lifter, it should suffice as a gym. I would be interested in getting a franchise and open one up, could be a good business deal.

Rob

[quote]Razamataz wrote:
I?ve never been to Planet Fitness, but LAFitness is pretty bad. After lifting a massive 135 deadlift, I was told by two managers that ?We don?t allow powerlifting. We don?t cater to that type of lifting.? Which is the most polite way I?ve ever been told ?your kind ain?t welcome? I?ve ever heard. I still don?t know what he thinks powerlifting is, because we were standing between a squat rack and a bench press.

The same thing happened at another location after location after I was guaranteed that deadlifting wouldn?t be a problem. They then refused to refund my money despite telling me they would if there were any problems.
[/quote]
I’ve always been happy with la fitness. I’ve been to a few around Houston and never had an issue. They always have multiple squat racks and cages too.

Not a “hard core” gym by any means but lots of big dudes moving heavy weight. Weighted chins, deadlifts, squats, rack pulls… I think yours just has bad mgmt.

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[/quote]

I belong to LA fitness and we have guys lifting heavy all the time. Our MGMT team doesn’t really care about anything which is bad! LOL but good!

[quote]Nards wrote:
IN all honesty I would not want that guy in my gym either…but also he’s not exactly real.[/quote]

you would not want a huge black guy with an extroverted personality and sense of humor in your gym?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
IN all honesty I would not want that guy in my gym either…but also he’s not exactly real.[/quote]

you would not want a huge black guy with an extroverted personality and sense of humor in your gym?

[/quote]

I think Nards is saying those types of people don’t even exist. What a racist!

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[/quote]
I’ve always been happy with la fitness. I’ve been to a few around Houston and never had an issue. They always have multiple squat racks and cages too.

Not a “hard core” gym by any means but lots of big dudes moving heavy weight. Weighted chins, deadlifts, squats, rack pulls… I think yours just has bad mgmt.[/quote]

I realize all chains differ from location to location depending on management. I loved the Bally’s location I was at because the manager had no expirence in gym management and didn’t seem to have the bullshit hang-ups that plauge most other gym managers I’ve seen (“Chalk? I don’t seen any reason you can’t use chalk.”)
But the LAFitness’s in my area are particularly bad. Both have crappy power racks that made you wonder if they would really spot you and squat racks with the most ridicoulously high uprights I’ve ever seen. I wasn’t even able to squat to parallel and I’m 6ft tall. I’ve never seen equipment that was designed with poor exercise technique in mind.

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[/quote]

Not a “hard core” gym by any means but lots of big dudes moving heavy weight. Weighted chins, deadlifts, squats, rack pulls… I think yours just has bad mgmt.[/quote]

I realize all chains differ from location to location depending on management. I loved the Bally’s location I was at because the manager had no expirence in gym management and didn’t seem to have the bullshit hang-ups that plauge most other gym managers I’ve seen (“Chalk? I don’t seen any reason you can’t use chalk.”)
But the LAFitness’s in my area are particularly bad. Both have crappy power racks that made you wonder if they would really spot you and squat racks with the most ridicoulously high uprights I’ve ever seen. I wasn’t even able to squat to parallel and I’m 6ft tall. I’ve never seen equipment that was designed with poor exercise technique in mind.[/quote]

The Bally’s here suck. LA Fitness (when I worked near one and trained there) had great equipment. There was never anything wrong with the gym itself. If I still was near one, I would likely still use them. I go to Fitness Connection and 24 Hour Fitness now.

[quote]Nards wrote:

That’s racist.

Imagine lifting at Metro Flex in Arlington and having Ronnie Coleman yelling all his catchphrases all day long. It would be priceless. The world needs more very large, very ripped, Afro-American gentlemen with catchphrases.

Bottom line…commercial gyms suck…period

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

That’s racist.[/quote]

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

x2

Those are the guys that usually are the most helpful in my opinion.

-Zep

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Razamataz wrote:

[/quote]

But the LAFitness’s in my area are particularly bad. Both have crappy power racks that made you wonder if they would really spot you and squat racks with the most ridicoulously high uprights I’ve ever seen. I wasn’t even able to squat to parallel and I’m 6ft tall. I’ve never seen equipment that was designed with poor exercise technique in mind.[/quote]

The Bally’s here suck. LA Fitness (when I worked near one and trained there) had great equipment. There was never anything wrong with the gym itself. If I still was near one, I would likely still use them. I go to Fitness Connection and 24 Hour Fitness now.[/quote]

Bally’s usually sucks, that’s why they went bankrupt and finally got bought out by…LAFitness! 24 doesn’t seem to be that bad. I’ve never had any problems with them.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

That’s everybody at the gym I go to.

CS

[quote]Kairiki wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

That’s racist.[/quote]
[/quote]

C’mon guys you know I’m not racist. I’m from Winnipeg and have no basis to even judge a black person from. I think one flew over my province in a plane once.

[quote]SPQR55 wrote:
Imagine lifting at Metro Flex in Arlington and having Ronnie Coleman yelling all his catchphrases all day long. It would be priceless. The world needs more very large, very ripped, Afro-American gentlemen with catchphrases.

Bottom line…commercial gyms suck…period[/quote]

Arlington as in VA?